Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie) - Page 91 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 22:11   #1351
Galwaymother
Registered User
 
Galwaymother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Er...Galway
Posts: 168
Great thread!
I'm looking for the name of a (maybe black-and-white) movie from the 60s or 70s (could be much older though) about an inspiring male teacher in a isolated school, in a rural - cold- area. Might have been from Northern Europe. I watched it in France subtitled as a child, so don't remember much, but it gave me my vocation!
Anyone?
Galwaymother is offline  
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 22:36   #1352
OldeCinemaSoz
Registered User
 
OldeCinemaSoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 683
Some mother's son?
OldeCinemaSoz is offline  
02-03-2012, 22:42   #1353
Galwaymother
Registered User
 
Galwaymother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Er...Galway
Posts: 168
Is that for me?
Thanks but no, it's really a 'classroom' film, all about this teacher and I think a single-class group of children of different ages. I seem to remember they got stuck in the classroom because of a snow storm...
I do think it's a Scandinavian film. The role of the teacher was played by a dark-haired fellow. So specific, hey?
I've been looking for this film for ten years or more, so here's a puzzle for you experts!
Galwaymother is offline  
03-03-2012, 00:21   #1354
wextext
Registered User
 
wextext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwaymother View Post
Great thread!
I'm looking for the name of a (maybe black-and-white) movie from the 60s or 70s (could be much older though) about an inspiring male teacher in a isolated school, in a rural - cold- area. Might have been from Northern Europe. I watched it in France subtitled as a child, so don't remember much, but it gave me my vocation!
Anyone?
Could it be "När kärleken kom till byn" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042799/
wextext is offline  
03-03-2012, 00:27   #1355
wextext
Registered User
 
wextext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMarcus Hustle View Post
I need some help proving my mother is not batshít insane.

She swears she seen a trailer for a film this week (could be cinema/dvd/tv trailer so don't know how new/old the film is) that had a young boy looking at a book - she says he was around 10 years old, maybe younger. Then you see him sitting down up really high, like on a crane or on some scaffolding or something, and many people below are looking at him. There's something about the time, and a black man says something about him having the key to the universe or something along those lines.

No idea, she's probably mad. She's been varnishing doors around the house this week, I'm sure its the fumes but is there any chance she's not raving? Any ideas?
That sounds a bit like Hugo. It has a young boy you keeps the clocks working, including one hanging from the ceiling, which he climbs into. He has a notebook that he uses to fix a robot and he also needs to find a heart shaped key to start it.
wextext is offline  
Advertisement
03-03-2012, 00:38   #1356
Galwaymother
Registered User
 
Galwaymother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Er...Galway
Posts: 168
Wextext: "Could it be "När kärleken kom till byn" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042799/"
Could be, but it's hard to know, because I can't find anything on Youtube with that title, and the portraits I googled of the main actor don't look like my memory of the main actor.
I think it was called simply "Le professeur' in the translation of the title!
Galwaymother is offline  
03-03-2012, 00:40   #1357
wextext
Registered User
 
wextext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwaymother View Post
Wextext: "Could it be "När kärleken kom till byn" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042799/"
Could be, but it's hard to know, because I can't find anything on Youtube with that title, and the portraits I googled of the main actor don't look like my memory of the main actor.
I think it was called simply "Le professeur' in the translation of the title!
How about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069120/
wextext is offline  
03-03-2012, 00:47   #1358
Galwaymother
Registered User
 
Galwaymother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Er...Galway
Posts: 168
No, I would have remembered it being Delon. Plus it was definitely in a cold climate....I'm telling you, it's so obscure it's probably just a figment of my imagination!
Galwaymother is offline  
03-03-2012, 19:42   #1359
Denerick
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,360
I'm looking for a British film, set in the 90s (I think) It was about a boy who moved to a new school and got horrendously bullied. He was friends with a fat kid who in one scene went into school without any shoes.

The real kicker is that Radiohead's 'Creep' played in the final scene of the film.

I watched it when I was a kid and would love to see it again, if anyone has any idea of its name please let me know.
Denerick is offline  
Advertisement
03-03-2012, 20:08   #1360
patch
Registered User
 
patch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Galway
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMarcus Hustle View Post
I need some help proving my mother is not batshít insane.

She swears she seen a trailer for a film this week (could be cinema/dvd/tv trailer so don't know how new/old the film is) that had a young boy looking at a book - she says he was around 10 years old, maybe younger. Then you see him sitting down up really high, like on a crane or on some scaffolding or something, and many people below are looking at him. There's something about the time, and a black man says something about him having the key to the universe or something along those lines.

No idea, she's probably mad. She's been varnishing doors around the house this week, I'm sure its the fumes but is there any chance she's not raving? Any ideas?
I LOL'd at the varnishing floors theory....
Anyways, it's Kiefer Sutherlands new tv series 'Touch'.
Cancel the men in white coats.
patch is offline  
03-03-2012, 20:09   #1361
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval
 
Sad Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dublin
Posts: 15,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denerick View Post
I'm looking for a British film, set in the 90s (I think) It was about a boy who moved to a new school and got horrendously bullied. He was friends with a fat kid who in one scene went into school without any shoes.

The real kicker is that Radiohead's 'Creep' played in the final scene of the film.

I watched it when I was a kid and would love to see it again, if anyone has any idea of its name please let me know.
Walking on the Moon.
Sad Professor is offline  
Thanks from:
04-03-2012, 12:51   #1362
FuzzyFrog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 35
Can anyone remember this movie title?

I have been racking my brains for ages Googling with no joy for a movie title. The movie itself was about this mysterious tribe who would dress in either wolf or bear skins and then attack a village. They would never leave their dead after a battle, so the villagers were never sure if the attackers were human or not as they only saw them in battle wearing these skins.

I can remember the whole thing being very mystical. When an attack would occur a large fog would preceed the arrival of the tribe in these animal skins and they'd have axes. I've nothing else other than that unfortunately. Does this trigger any memory for anyone?
FuzzyFrog is offline  
04-03-2012, 13:14   #1363
ricero
Registered User
 
ricero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: dublin
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFrog View Post
I have been racking my brains for ages Googling with no joy for a movie title. The movie itself was about this mysterious tribe who would dress in either wolf or bear skins and then attack a village. They would never leave their dead after a battle, so the villagers were never sure if the attackers were human or not as they only saw them in battle wearing these skins.

I can remember the whole thing being very mystical. When an attack would occur a large fog would preceed the arrival of the tribe in these animal skins and they'd have axes. I've nothing else other than that unfortunately. Does this trigger any memory for anyone?
The 13th warrior.
ricero is offline  
04-03-2012, 19:04   #1364
FuzzyFrog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 35
Bang on! Cheers
FuzzyFrog is offline  
05-03-2012, 21:57   #1365
pappyodaniel
Registered User
 
pappyodaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: wherever i lay my phone
Posts: 4,572
I'm not sure if this is from a movie or film but I remember seeing something years ago where this really nerdy looking guy was speaking in a really monotone voice and the memorable bit was how he pronounced the word 'nerd'.

Phonetically he pronounced it njerd, with a soft J
kinda like how you pronounce the word 'fjord'

It's bugging me.
pappyodaniel is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet