Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Poll: Title vs Money
Poll Options
Title vs Money

12-02-2012, 13:49   #31
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
I have a job and a career. The job aint glamorous and is the very definition of 'dead end job' but it pays the bills while I work on my career (in film) which has the potential to be a big earner for me in the future but has very limited earning potential in the short term. A fine balancing act if you will. Still, I'd rather work for my few quid a week than get social welfare and be an 'artist' like so many do. I'll do that in my spare time.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 14:23   #32
grames_bond

I do believe that "if you enjoy your job you will never work a day in your life"! I don't get paid well but I hav a Job in the industry I studied in (something alot of people can't say) I am getting more responsibilities and the potential to grow! Realistically as long as you are happy amd you have reasonable quality of life that is all that should matter!
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 19:37   #33
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
That's it. When your work and your play become the same thing you know you've succeeded at life.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 21:40   #34
P.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat__tony View Post
How the **** would a builder earn lots of money in this day and age?

Do you mind explaining how the hell a tesco employee would earn anything near a teacher would? Its an unskilled position FFS.

What a crock of **** of a thread.

Tesco Trainee Managers start at around €25K per year.
Tesco Store Managers earn between €40K and €120K per year.

There are still some builders out there earning decent money - not many, but they are out there.
21-02-2012, 23:07   #35
MagicMarker

I don't care about either, so long as I can live comfortably on my salary and I don't absolutely hate my job then I'm happy. Until of course I'm debt free, at which point I'll move to the Caribbean to live in a hut and live on fish I catch myself.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 16:36   #36
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18AD View Post
I will be a Doctor one day. And when that day comes I am going to take the absolute piss.
Did he call me Len again? You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!
(2) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 19:59   #37
tfromkerry

surely it must be title as its pride that take.s it place , money can be made and spent by every one , but only certain people can do certain jobs
24-02-2012, 00:13   #38
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

if you have enough money you can buy titles, unless you're Mohamed Al-Fayed
25-02-2012, 16:33   #39
SpannerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by investment View Post
which do you find more important....?

I know a few guys who make lots of money even though they dont have a great career title .... Tesco employee, builder, gardener etc

And I know a few guys who dont make much money but have a good career title eg Accountant, Teacher, Nurse etc

It would have to be the title for me..money comes and goes but a title earns you straight up respect

are you serious ???
nobody respects a title anymore its not the 40s you know

im a Fitter , basically a mechanic for industial machinery , im lucky that i actually like my job and the pay is very good i have no stress, when i finish work i get no calls at home , , i have a nice house and a nice car , i have money to spare to go on holidays or do what i want (i know im one lucky bollix )

2 of my mates are engineers one on about 26k a year the oher on 35k , they are stressed to the hilt and hate their jobs, they are expected to work back for free for up to 20 hours a week if the work needs to be done .
my sister did a PHD and works in a Lab shes on 38k a year , she likes it so thats great

now thay have title and a decent pay check, but im on more than twice what any of them are on , why would you choose title (that nobody other than you gives a toss about) over a job you like and money

Last edited by SpannerMonkey; 25-02-2012 at 16:39.
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 18:19   #40
Pawwed Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerMonkey View Post
are you serious ???
nobody respects a title anymore its not the 40s you know

im a Fitter , basically a mechanic for industial machinery , im lucky that i actually like my job and the pay is very good i have no stress, when i finish work i get no calls at home , , i have a nice house and a nice car , i have money to spare to go on holidays or do what i want (i know im one lucky bollix )

2 of my mates are engineers one on about 26k a year the oher on 35k , they are stressed to the hilt and hate their jobs, they are expected to work back for free for up to 20 hours a week if the work needs to be done .
my sister did a PHD and works in a Lab shes on 38k a year , she likes it so thats great

now thay have title and a decent pay check, but im on more than twice what any of them are on , why would you choose title (that nobody other than you gives a toss about) over a job you like and money
I am sure he is serious. If you are happy in your job that is great and I am sure we are all happy for you. However there are a good amount of people who strive to reach their potential in life which may not always be a 9-5 job that you can forget about once you go home.

Our colleges are full of people who study hard to better themselves and their situation. I went back to college and studied for 4 years to get a job at 40% of the wages i had previously and have to say I am happier with my life since I did it
25-02-2012, 19:08   #41
SpannerMonkey

ah i dont mean it negatively i did say its better to have a job you enjoy than a title , i too went back to college for years and years and i now have a degree in manufacturing technology and a seperate degree in Electrical Technology aswell as a few other diplomas and certs, if you had said to me at 17 that id have 2 degrees id have laughed i hated school but now i enjoy learning what i want to learn instead of what i was forced to learn in school

i wasnt slagging anyone for going after their dreams , id heavily promote it
id rather see my friends and family in a poor paying low titled job they love, than a high payed executive job they hate. thats all i ment
26-02-2012, 04:24   #42
investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerMonkey View Post
ah i dont mean it negatively i did say its better to have a job you enjoy than a title , i too went back to college for years and years and i now have a degree in manufacturing technology and a seperate degree in Electrical Technology aswell as a few other diplomas and certs, if you had said to me at 17 that id have 2 degrees id have laughed i hated school but now i enjoy learning what i want to learn instead of what i was forced to learn in school

i wasnt slagging anyone for going after their dreams , id heavily promote it
id rather see my friends and family in a poor paying low titled job they love, than a high payed executive job they hate. thats all i ment
Even though you're a spanner and a bit of a monkey your post made sense
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion