Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will pray for you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

al28283 wrote: »
    may the force be with you
    But that's not a prayer, is it? It's just a silly made up quote from an ancient work of fiction that nobody in their right mind would subscribe to... oh, right, I get ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Things are getting bad for organised religion when George Lucas is a better producer than God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I see the 'I'll pray for you' statement as more of a threat than benevolent intent.

It's not so much that the person praying for the heathen wants god to be nice to him - it's 'ratting out' the heathen to the vengeful one.

That's the great thing about believing in an deity and afterlife - you have a god who will be vindictive on your behalf after everyone is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I must see if I can find it, but I'm fairly sure that I read an article a while back that found that telling someone who was ill that you'd pray for them decreased their chances of recovery because they started to think that if people were praying for them they must be a lot sicker than they were. Kind of a reverse placebo; a murderebo, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

kylith wrote: »
    I must see if I can find it, but I'm fairly sure that I read an article a while back that found that telling someone who was ill that you'd pray for them decreased their chances of recovery because they started to think that if people were praying for them they must be a lot sicker than they were. Kind of a reverse placebo; a murderebo, if you will.

It was actually quite an extensive study on the effects of prayer on those recovering from illness. It was double blinded and fully acredited, and showed, surprise, surprise, that prayer has no beneficial effects on those prayed for, and in fact the group who knew that they were being prayed for actually recovered more slowly than the group who wasn't prayed for at all. There was no conclusion on why that was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

fisgon wrote: »
    It was actually quite an extensive study on the effects of prayer on those recovering from illness.

That'll be the "Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP)":

http://www.templeton.org/newsroom/press_releases/060407step.html
    http://www.templeton.org/what-we-fund/grants/study-of-the-therapeutic-effects-of-intercessory-prayer-step-replication-and-exp
    http://www.templeton.org/pdfs/press_releases/060407STEP_paper.pdf

Summary: praying for people makes no difference to the rate of post-operative complications, unless you tell patients you're praying for them, in which case they have more complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Has anyone here tried meditation?

I'm just wondering, because meditation has been extensively studied as a way of reducing physiological and psychological stress. I think the effects also apply to people who pray regularly, such as reduced stress, lower blood pressure, diminished anxiety, and so on.

I would be inclined to believe that praying helps the prayer, and whatever motives you might think the prayer has for saying they'll pray for you, let them at it.

But then, I'm reminded of AJ Jacobs and his funny book The Year Of Living Biblically. He, of course, didn't believe in any way that prayer could be anything but futile - perhaps there could be a deeper theological discussion about petitionary prayer and God's omniscience etc - and yet AJ came to love spending time praying for others for ten minutes because it was a time when he felt it was impossible to be self-centered, and because of his experiment, judged himself to be becoming a more compassionate person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

marty1985 wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried meditation?

I'm just wondering, because meditation has been extensively studied as a way of reducing physiological and psychological stress. I think the effects also apply to people who pray regularly, such as reduced stress, lower blood pressure, diminished anxiety, and so on.

I would be inclined to believe that praying helps the prayer, and whatever motives you might think the prayer has for saying they'll pray for you, let them at it.

I've no doubt that this is true, that praying helps the person who prays. It gives them a sense of control, even though this sense is illusory. It can also be a form of meditation, which also can have beneficial physiological effects. The rosary, for example, isn't really much different to transcendental meditation, with the prayers as a kind of mantra.

Yet the religious can't really go there, as admitting this is why people pray would be admitting that it is fundamentally a selfish act, for the benefit of the person praying. As for using this as a reason for promoting prayer, why not just try meditation instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

There are a lot of similarities in Buddhists' prayer beads and the rosary beads, but I wonder if that is actually the purpose of the rosary - the repetition, and the meditation that goes along with it (on the traditional mysteries of the rosary). And in Buddhism prayer is seen mainly as something that enhances meditation. Maybe they're the same thing, essentially.

But yes, I tend to agree that it's illusory, but I mean it without any derogatory implication. Cognitive psychologists tell us that we all live in a world of positive personal illusions, and that our psyches are healthier as a consequence. All of us, atheists and agnostics and theists, embrace positive illusions about our lives to sustain high self-esteem. As psychologist Shelley Taylor put it, people "have a distorted faith in their ability to control what goes on around them."

In other words, I see it as a placebo effect, but that's not a pejorative statement since the placebo effect can have a powerful healing impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

MrPudding wrote: »
    I prefer the "thank you god for taking the time out of your busy day allowing 3000 kids to die from malaria, countless others to die from a variety of other diseases, yet more to die in conflicts because you can't write a fcuking book in such a way that people agree what it means and allowing natural disasters to kill hundreds of thousands to help me score a goal in a football match. Your're the best!"

MrP

admit it , your envious of those with that kind of self esteem , who believe god signaled them out of fortune , beit by winning an oscar , passing a driving test or getting the vice presidents job at some multinational , ego is a wonderfull thing , i miss mine now that its gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

fisgon wrote: »
    It was actually quite an extensive study on the effects of prayer on those recovering from illness. It was double blinded and fully acredited, and showed, surprise, surprise, that prayer has no beneficial effects on those prayed for, and in fact the group who knew that they were being prayed for actually recovered more slowly than the group who wasn't prayed for at all. There was no conclusion on why that was.

someone close to me died over a decade ago , they were not expected to make it through the night , i prayed like a SOB that night and they were still alive the next morning , they then had a turn nine days later and died

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sarky wrote: »
    Things are getting bad for organised religion [...]
    Well, what about this one:

The Archdiocese of Montreal takes out a newspaper ad encouraging people to pray for the city's underperforming hockey team:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1128915--catholic-church-urges-montreal-canadiens-fans-to-pray-for-a-playoff-berth

If the STEP study above is anything to go by, I hope the team doesn't know they're being prayed for. But they probably do, so I'm going to make a prediction: They're gonna do worse.

BTW, I'm sure it's just me, but "prions" reminds me of mad cow disease. I'm sure it's unintentional on the part of the Archdiocese.

Named after misshapen, insidious entities that cause other, more properly formed entities to conform to their twisted and dangerous ideal?

No, that doesn't sound like something a church would do intentionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Dades wrote: »
    A joke is something that people at least understand and even find amusing.

Just so you know - you've used up your "useless post quota" for this thread. No more.
    my jokes amuse me, if you don't get amusement that's my not problem. The problem is in your head. my post aren't useless, these are pearls, dedicate your life to find the treasure
    Galvasean wrote: »
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!
    i have no ghost
    "The dead are sleeping in their sepulchres:
    And, mouldering as they sleep, a thrilling sound,
    Half sense half thought, among the darkness stirs,
    Breathed from their wormy beds all living things around,
    And, mingling with the still night and mute sky,
    Its awful hush is felt inaudibly.

Goo goo ga-joob?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dead one taking to a week's leave to reflect on how not to argue with mods in a thread.

And this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement