Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow patrol The 02 20/21 Jan 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Couldn't bring myself to go see Snow Patrol to see Everything Everything, how were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

alisonl wrote: »
    Don't be fooled by isolated clips.

I'm not sure if you were referring to the clips I've posted in this thread & I'm sure you didn't mean any offence with that remark to anyone good enough to post & share footage with others who might have actually enjoyed the gig (sorry you didn't - I did enjoy it overall myself though ;))

Don't worry - I'm not over sensitive about opinions as many people differ, as expectations differ & they are entitled to differ, but wanted to highlight that it wasn't & is never my intent to mislead or 'fool anyone' with any footage I share from any concert.

Just thought they were some nice clips as momentos for anyone that went alone & might have enjoyed the show.

I know from experience that if anyone really likes a band, wants to get the best atmosphere with other fans & is physically able to , standing near front on floor is the place to be. It can be quite a different experience to being seated further back.

I was seated at the back myself & was surprised how many people just kept talking right from the start, almost non stop, were up & down to the toilets almost the whole time, were back & forth to buy drinks (its a 'free world' I know :)) - I wondered why they bothered spending their hard earned cash when they seemed to show so little interest in the actual gig or music. Maybe they got free tickets & were at a loss of something to do that night. Must have cost some of them around me a small fortune in drink at €6.50 a bottle! (No I'm not anti drink :D)

That's happened to me a couple of times with different bands over the years & from being lucky enough to get tickets to multiple shows for some bands in the same venues on the same tour, where a band has played multiple nights in same venue - I've had totally different experiences when seated versus say being in the pit or close to stage on the floor (ie better experiences up close but its hard queuing for a long time before entry to get a 'good spot' up close - I'm getting too old for that ;))

I do agree with what you mention about about how many times Gary seemed to thank the crowd etc but I just didn't focus on it too much or let that get to me - strange things happen at gigs (Axl Rose anyone.... :D).

Personally i think the new songs sound brilliant live especially Fallen Empire

Agree too - thought they worked well..

Its only the second night of the World Tour too, so no doubt they'll have a chance to refine some songs & even improve or change where they feel there are weakness in the set or song structure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rustey 2012

Im not a huge fan of snow patrol.Went along with the wife and a few friends.I usually do smaller venues or out door gigs but have to say i really enjoyed them. I will be watching out for them.Love to hear them at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Yeah,was in mid tier block E, n have to say worst crowd i,v seen in the o2,most people barely moving in their seats.Didnt get going until last 45 mins or so.Maybe
    its the type of music (normally into heavier gigs) but the chilli peppers had the crowd goin mental from start to finish.No comparison,still I did enjoy it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Agree too - thought they worked well..

Its only the second night of the World Tour too, so no doubt they'll have a chance to refine some songs & even improve or change where they feel there are weakness in the set or song structure...

Yea i had seen them do Fallen Empire from the EMA's and i wasnt mad about it but when they played it on friday it really sounded great and really came together

Can see them either supporting Coldplay at Slane or doing their own show in Pheonix Park and T-Vital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Seen them 15 times and last night was disappointing. Over staged and formulaic, I left after an hour and that is something I never thought I would ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Really surprised at the posts about Saturday night! Sounds like a completely different gig to the one I went to on Friday :eek:

Snow Patrol are much "lighter"* than the music I normally listen to, but honestly I really enjoyed the gig on Friday. Maybe it was because I was so close to the stage, maybe there's a different atmosphere up in the seats?

Or maybe they had an off-night on Sat compared to the great night they had on Fri?

*Not my favourite term, but I don't know how else to describe it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

I'm not sure if you were referring to the clips I've posted in this thread & I'm sure you didn't mean any offence with that remark to anyone good enough to post & share footage with others who might have actually enjoyed the gig (sorry you didn't - I did enjoy it overall myself though ;))

Don't worry - I'm not over sensitive about opinions as many people differ, as expectations differ & they are entitled to differ, but wanted to highlight that it wasn't & is never my intent to mislead or 'fool anyone' with any footage I share from any concert.

Just thought they were some nice clips as momentos for anyone that went alone & might have enjoyed the show.

I know from experience that if anyone really likes a band, wants to get the best atmosphere with other fans & is physically able to , standing near front on floor is the place to be. It can be quite a different experience to being seated further back.

I was seated at the back myself & was surprised how many people just kept talking right from the start, almost non stop, were up & down to the toilets almost the whole time, were back & forth to buy drinks (its a 'free world' I know :)) - I wondered why they bothered spending their hard earned cash when they seemed to show so little interest in the actual gig or music. Maybe they got free tickets & were at a loss of something to do that night. Must have cost some of them around me a small fortune in drink at €6.50 a bottle! (No I'm not anti drink :D)

That's happened to me a couple of times with different bands over the years & from being lucky enough to get tickets to multiple shows for some bands in the same venues on the same tour, where a band has played multiple nights in same venue - I've had totally different experiences when seated versus say being in the pit or close to stage on the floor (ie better experiences up close but its hard queuing for a long time before entry to get a 'good spot' up close - I'm getting too old for that ;))

I do agree with what you mention about about how many times Gary seemed to thank the crowd etc but I just didn't focus on it too much or let that get to me - strange things happen at gigs (Axl Rose anyone.... :D).

Don't think for a moment that was what was meant - seemed the reference was to the gig as a whole, ppl always appreciative of footage IMO. Thanks!

Completely agree standing is the way to go. Bring on 'The Stone Roses'! That's what I meant about the interaction with the (standing) crowd when it was on the backdrop. There's no doubt the 'real deal' is experienced standing. Was sooooooooo frustrating where we were - surrounded by couples who showed little interest in the gig, never budged, several ppl on Facebook the whole time :confused:. I think lots of people were there as Christmas presents.

Went for a bathroom break just a minute before he announced the break at 10.30. Many more (couples again) out at the bars, the outside bar downstairs jam packed thou prob due to smoking section.

For the most part the Saturday night audience didn't connect, seated anywway. igorbiscan said SP didn't get going til the last 45 minutes, which tallies with my previous post. It's a huge venue but if you're gonna rake in that kinda money you gotta pay attention to your crowd, and your crowd gotta pay attention to you. Guess neither side did enough Saturday...........

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Seen them 15 times and last night was disappointing. Over staged and formulaic, I left after an hour and that is something I never thought I would ever do.

My friend was adamant they were leaving at 10.30, but I'd just paid €5 for a lidless Diet Coke and Mars Bar (:eek:) and wasn't going anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 alisonl

Oh no! I meant that (great) individual clips put together were not entirely representative of the 2hr show. "Fooled" was a poor choice of wording, didn't mean to imply that was your intention, of course not. They did bring me back to the better moments of the night, thank you for that!

You hit the nail on the head when you said you wondered how some attendees spent hard earned cash on the night and seemed to show so little interest. That was exactly my/our group sentiment! I kinda felt that some people felt they were home watching it on the telly, such was their lack of interest, and interaction, and cos they bought a seated ticket that they had to stay riveted to the seat for the night! OK, so you can't jump up for the 1st while, but you can move, sing along, stop facebooking, frequenting the bar........!!

So maybe it was a 2-way street. Of the O2, can't blame the size cos almost every seat is 'good', even the ones in 'The Gods' have good views and sound.

alisonl wrote: »
    Oh no! I meant that (great) individual clips put together were not entirely representative of the 2hr show. "Fooled" was a poor choice of wording, didn't mean to imply that was your intention, of course not. They did bring me back to the better moments of the night, thank you for that!

You hit the nail on the head when you said you wondered how some attendees spent hard earned cash on the night and seemed to show so little interest. That was exactly my/our group sentiment! I kinda felt that some people felt they were home watching it on the telly, such was their lack of interest, and interaction, and cos they bought a seated ticket that they had to stay riveted to the seat for the night! OK, so you can't jump up for the 1st while, but you can move, sing along, stop facebooking, frequenting the bar........!!

So maybe it was a 2-way street. Of the O2, can't blame the size cos almost every seat is 'good', even the ones in 'The Gods' have good views and sound.

Cheers - thanks. No probs at all - appreciate you taking time to come back with the context etc. ;)

Sorry you got stuck surrounded by that sort of punter - it does really make a difference to anyone's enjoyment...& not a positive one as you say ;)

By Chris Wasser

Monday January 23rd, 2012
    Herald.ie

It only took 17 years, but it seems Gary Lightbody has discovered his inner Bono. Hands in the air, legs spread apart, the Snow Patrol frontman is a giddy boy indeed, serenading his followers with a long line of songs about love and breaking up. Because, let's face it, that's all he writes about (his words, folks -- not mine). Occasionally, he'll even pick up a guitar and join in with the rest of the crew, but tonight it's about playing the rock star. Perfect night for it too, what with the Northern Irish and Scottish six-piece kicking off their world tour in merry old Dublin. Shame about the performance, though.

Alas, this otherwise skillful gang of players have, in recent times, hit something of a brick wall. Instead of keeping things nice and simple, the lads have decided that bigger is always better. It's no surprise to hear of Lightbody's writer's block while working on their latest opus, the ambitious yet forgettable Fallen Empires. 2008's A Hundred Million Suns wasn't any better. Maybe it's the pressure; a nagging suspicion that lightning doesn't strike three times. Breakout single Run was a major hit for the band. Chasing Cars? A simple yet oh-so effective sequel. But This Isn't Everything You Are? Even the title is complicated. And so it is that the majority of Fallen Empires' forced and often directionless tunes fall flat in an arena setting.

ANNOYING
    It doesn't help matters that Lightbody comes across a tad over-enthusiastic; annoying, even, as the hyperactive frontman paces about the stage, dedicating songs to his parents in the crowd and professing his love for Dublin.

It's a killer light show, but that's no good when the music is far from up to scratch. If anything, this new, shiny, big-budget extravaganza somehow manages to ruin even the reliable 'anthems' in Lightbody's cannon. The aforementioned Run lacks every bit of emotion that made the studio recording so special. Set the Fire to The Third Bar is equally forgettable. There are some special moments (an impressive encore of Open Your Eyes and the drippy yet infectious Just Say Yes). But they're few and far between.

Snow Patrol's finest musical achievement arrived several years back when the band invited an orchestra on the road for a one-off, 'reworked' tour. All the more reason to believe that the band can do a hell of a lot better than this dull display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SinG36

Can anyone please tell me which song did Gary dedicate to his mum at the concert? :)

Advertisement