Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer rebuild

Options
  • 22-12-2011 5:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the big stretch in the evening today myself and my trusty stick :D pushed the boat off the trailer to get it rebuilt for the crackerbox

2011-12-22103843.jpg

She is a bit wider than the last one " A yakee" so I had to take the mud guards off and knock a bit off the wall to get it in :eek:

2011-12-22124714.jpg

I'm getting a bit tight for space now and the wife is giving me some strange looks and mentioned something about a knackers yard but I couldn't quite hear her :rolleyes:
    Next step is to strip it down and replace all the nuts, blots, bearings,brake pads,cables,wiring, tow hitch, paint the mud guards and rebuild and reset the bunks O the joy of boats.

2011-12-22124735.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Would I be right in saying it's an American trailer Fergal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I thought it might be but they are made in the UK by the company that make the boat so it's road legal :D
    http://www.sportiqueboats.co.uk/page25.html

Yeah, that would suggest it's all EU spec. I've just generally only seen that style of wheel rim on US trailers. The mudguards and style of bunks also make it look very americany.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have it striped down now and I'm in two minds weather or not to paint it if I do paint it I would have to remove some of the protection layer of galvanising and paint it with etching primer first.
    2012-01-13113326.jpg
    2012-01-13113217.jpg

The axel and hubs will get a full strip down with new pads,bearings and cables more €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ :( is there any point I wonder:rolleyes: this hole in the water is getting bigger :D
    2012-01-13113234.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

I would imagine the galvanic coating would protect it better than paint and would be less maintenance. Are there no primers or paints that you can paint directly onto the galvanised layer?

• Advertisement

Yea I was kind of thinking that, I guess a painted trailer will turn old and tatty where as a galvanised trailer will always be old and tatty :D
    I hear you can clean it with baby powder and milk so I'll give that a go and see what it comes up like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

fergal.b wrote: »
    Yea I was kind of thinking that, I guess a painted trailer will turn old and tatty where as a galvanised trailer will always be old and tatty :D
    I hear you can clean it with baby powder and milk so I'll give that a go and see what it comes up like.

Now Now Fergal you just cant say that without some backup....old wives tale :D

moonshadow wrote: »
    Now Now Fergal you just cant say that without some backup....old wives tale :D

Time will tell watch this spot, I just have to try and get the old wife out to do a bit of scrubbing:D

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    I would imagine the galvanic coating would protect it better than paint and would be less maintenance. Are there no primers or paints that you can paint directly onto the galvanised layer?

I just came across this and it looks like it will work http://www.galco.ie/paint-for-galvanizing-galvacoatr.php?PHPSESSID=98f186aa26917534fba75e1826519bd8

No paint will job will properly substitute a proper galvanise, there are some good substitutes on the market however. If price is an issue and the proper prep has been put in, a good hammerite will suffice. ( Not my personal choice)

• Advertisement

With this paint you don't have to etch the galvanizing so you won't loose any of it's rust proofing you just paint it on and it sticks. eg

These railings haven't been touched in sixteen years and there's not one sign of chipping or flaking," remarked Dan Moynihan, Area Engineer with Dublin City Council. Mr. Moynihan and his team have responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the wider Ballymun area. For them, GALVACOAT® was a major improvement saving both time and money.

plunkett_thumb.gif

I started on the hubs the bearings were a bit dirty but not to bad and no pitting so I will keep them as spares and put new ones in.

2012-01-16120604.jpg

Out with the wire brush to get them ready for painting with a rustproof primer and then a gloss.

2012-01-16151112-1.jpg

New brakes and springs.

2012-01-20144851-1.jpg

A thats that done :D

2012-01-23162039.jpg

I striped down the tow hitch to rebuild it but some of the teeth on the handbrake were gone as well as the gas strut.

2012-01-30142827.jpg

So I went for a new one :D €€€€€:mad: better safe than sorry.

2012-01-30142855.jpg

Also new brake cables and and pull bar. I have to say a big thanks to the guy's in indespension in finglas they looked after me for all the parts and where a great help.;)

2012-01-30142924.jpg

It might be starting to look a bit bright :eek: but it will tone down when the boat is on it I'm also thinking of putting some mahogany strips on the mud guards as step pads and to keep with the colour scheme of the boat. :D

2012-02-21142443.jpg

2012-02-21142500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Beautiful job, you're an inspiration to us all as usual!

Im disapointed wheres the bling......i expected a chrome winch :p at the very least!!

You mean this one :p

2012-02-21210157.jpg

I might also go for a set of mastercraft chrome wheels :D

CHROME-WHEEL.jpg

I feckin knew there was a reason for the floosey red carpet.......its all in the chrome reflection i guess :p your spare woman is in the backyard..........expensive they are but sure you know that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You love that chrome dont ya.

I bet all your cutlery is chromed :)

Looking good.

tin79 wrote: »
    You love that chrome dont ya.

I bet all your cutlery is chromed :)

Looking good.

I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to shinny boat things :D

2011-08-28171915.jpg

My latest ebay win is a chrome pop up fuel cap :D

2012-02-22105137.jpg

I never win anything on fleabay ALWAYS have to pay for the dam stuff!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

only a true boat lover would knock away some of his house, in order to getting one step closer to putting his boat in the water! got to love it fergal!

Cheers whacker1982 There was a wall there when I was building the last boat but that accidentally fell down one windy night along with the pillar :D

019.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

That wind can be very damaging, especially when its wielding a sledgehammer :)

The wind was so strong out at my parents there last year it blew all the grass away and we had to cover half the garden with concrete. Worked out well though as the boat fitted into that space just nicely by co-incidence.

Shed looks good! nice selection

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Lovely refurb job but here's what those lovely brakes will look like shortly after a dip in saltwater!

I was taking these out - giving up on keeping brakes working in and out of saltwater. Rinsing, rinse kits, copper slip, they still rust in to a useless lump no matter what I've tried.

Daibheid wrote: »
    Lovely refurb job but here's what those lovely brakes will look like shortly after a dip in saltwater!

I was taking these out - giving up on keeping brakes working in and out of saltwater. Rinsing, rinse kits, copper slip, they still rust in to a useless lump no matter what I've tried.

A quick rub with a bit of sandpaper and they will be fine.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

fergal.b wrote: »
    A quick rub with a bit of sandpaper and they will be fine.:eek::D

You know that's the one thing I never tried ;)

Like all boat trailer bits other than the actual chassis, if they'd galvanize or plate the brake shoes, springs, cams, adjusters and hubs not to mention the wheels, we'd all pay a bit extra and the brakes might last a season rather than a single launch. Machine the hubs after galvanising and a huge source of rust would be gone and as for springs not being plated :mad:

I like the American disc systems but I think they're illegal in the UK so prob ditto here but unavailable anyway as a result.

There are a lot of things on your typical boat trailer not fit for purpose in terms of corrosion protection, mild steel split pins and washers on rollers, passivated rather than galvanized U-Bolts, painted suspension arms, etc. Keeps Indespension in business and me off the street. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up an ol thread but Fergal do you mind me asking where you picked up the replacement brake kit n bearings? I too have an american trailer (not the same as yours) it used to be under a Bayliner. I need to replace the brakes and put new in bearings. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated, inc. cost etc.

Thanks

Hi coleria I got the parts from indespension (parnell) http://swords.yalwa.ie/ID_103145392/Indespension-Parnell-Trailer-Centre.html

Here is a link to the main site yours might be Knott http://www.indespension.co.uk/Trailer-Parts/Brakes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Thanks,

Hows the boat coming along?

• Advertisement

coleria wrote: »
    Thanks,

Hows the boat coming along?

Coldly :D

There is a post on it here if you want to have a look. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963665

Advertisement