Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos G9 80 - anyone got one?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one yet?
    Is it any good?
    It will be used for watching video and general messing about

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have one on order and should have it in a few days. I'll let you know what it's like then. There is a known issue with some of them, details are in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Zaph wrote: »
    I have one on order and should have it in a few days. I'll let you know what it's like then. There is a known issue with some of them, details are in this thread.

Any update on this?
    I wonder if the 4:3 aspect ratio affect watching HD video? Most of my stuff is HD, 16:9 ratio i think?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry, forgot about this. Got it the other day, but as it's a Christmas present from my fiancée it's gone back into storage until the 25th. Had a quick play with it first to make sure it was ok. First off, the issue with the rippling on the screen is there, but nothing like as bad as I've seen on some Youtube videos. It seems to be just in one small spot and only appears if I hold the tablet in a way that isn't natural for me to hold it. I can live with it as I don't think it will be an ongoing issue for me as I won't be holding it that way, so it's not going back. Admittedly a replacement could be better, but it could also be worse.

Angry Birds comes installed, so I gave it a go and the screen seemed to be clear and responsive. Not quite as smooth as my Galaxy S2, but significantly smoother that the only other tablet I've used (Archos 70). The only video I played was one that comes pre-loaded, and I was impressed by the clarity and quality of it. Didn't really take much notice of the aspect ratio though, I'm afraid. I installed an app from the Android Market that wasn't available on the Archos 70 (runs android 2.2), so there seems to be access to the full market. The only other thing I'd mention is that it's a bit heavier than I was expecting, so using it as an e-reader for any length of time could become a bit tiring.

Sorry I can't give you a more detailed review, but as I said it was taken from me after a very sort time. Roll on the 25th. :)

Thanks for that, sounds good but think i have to give this one a miss.
    I reckon the black bars top and bottom would do my head in when watching the HD video's!
    So back to the drawing board. Pity cos it seems ideal in every other way

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rockfist

pabloh999 can you explain more about the black bars?

• Advertisement

rockfist wrote: »
    pabloh999 can you explain more about the black bars?

If your watching a hd vid its aspect ratio will prob be 16:9.
    With this tablet having an aspect ratio of 4:3, like on an old style tv or the ipad, you will have black bars top and bottom. It won't fill the screen.
    Maybe there is a way to minimise it by stretching the video slightly with the player.

Advertisement