Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Android Tablet

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I feel like there is a market for a budget tablet that I haven't seen. Things I feel that aren't needed on a tablet device.

1. Camera
    I can only see one possible use. Skype/facetime type situation but in truth everyone has a smartphone especially the type of person who can have a tablet. A phone is always with you so drop the camera and save the cost.

2. 3G Sim
    I know there are lots of tablets that do this already but again use your phone as a way of connecting your tablet to the web when out and about.

3. Excessive storage
    for a device like this you don't need more than 16-32GB of storage. You can stream content or even easily transfer from your computer when needed.

4. HDMI
    If you want to view vids on you TV, then you have lots of options even just using a USB stick to view it on new TVs. Lets drop this too

5. GPS
    Again the way I see this budget tablet being used this isn't needed either.

Things I think are still important.

1. Latest version of Android
    2. Good responsive touch
    3. Similar spec cpu/graphics to other tablets

I should say if some of the things above are relatively cheap to put in then yes you may as well include them but if there is savings to be made then you could sell the device at a more interesting price. The nook and kindle are kind of filling this market but where is the android device in this bracket that isn't tied to a content provider.

Is this tablet already out there? Am I missing it?

Target price I recon should be €275 - €325
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

How about this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hannspree-HannsPad-Tablet-Storage-Android/dp/B004R8ZRV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321954130&sr=8-2

No Camera, no 3G, 16Gb storage, has hdmi, no GPS, can run Honeycomb version of Android with possibly ICS to come. Processor is Tegra2 which i believe is the same as the top range tablets...........just make sure its a 53 model..........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd agree with all five points, OP. My tablet has four of the five above (storage is limited but it takes SD cards and USB devices) and I never use them. I don't know how much these features cost in total but I would gladly have seen the cost invested in a better screen if the price could be kept at a similar level.

That said, I think 275 is too high a target price and 175-250 is more the ballpark area I think needs to be aimed for to deliver to a wider audience.

What kind of screen is on that hanspree? And it has a S-ATA hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I got an Archos 70 for £100, id reccommend it for the price.

Does everything i need it to.

Needs a UK address though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Advent vega :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I got an Archos 70 for £100, id reccommend it for the price.

Does everything i need it to.

Needs a UK address though :(

Where did you get it for that price?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

That said, I think 275 is too high a target price and 175-250 is more the ballpark area I think needs to be aimed for to deliver to a wider audience.

Okay.. can somebody please tell me whats the best tablet out there for 175-200?

As the OP said regarding needs for the Tablet to have,no frills just thrills

Thanks in Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Kev. wrote: »
    Okay.. can somebody please tell me whats the best tablet out there for 175-200?

As the OP said regarding needs for the Tablet to have,no frills just thrills

Thanks in Advance

Hi kev, if you can stretch your budget just a little bit, the vega sells for 269.
    Got one 6 months ago and it is one of the best buys i've bought. There is alot of support for device on the internet xda etc and it's very user friendly and i have yet to find one that was confirmed bricked. It has good specs and a solid build, supports flash, hdmi, front camera you will not be disappointed.

It's for sale in either pc world or curry's there should be a display model in stores, so take a look and see what you think.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you want a honeycomb tablet, for €249 you can get one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

I'm thinking about getting an Amazon fire or a Nook tablet for a technologically challenged mother.

Anyone had a chance to use either of these tablets yet? Anyone make a recommendation on which is the more basic / easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Zaph wrote: »
    If you want a honeycomb tablet, for €249 you can get one of these. (Archos 8" 80 G9 - 8GB)

Be careful, there's 'manufacturing issues' with the current batch of the Archos 80 G9 tablets. Basically, just 'holding' the tablet will cause rings and ripples to appear on the screen, this stems from a bad design choice, featured around the chassis mount points for the screen and various clips to hold the tablet together.

It's a bit of a lottery scratch card, if your tablet will be normal, or not..

A quick Google of YouTube. I haven't embedded, so as not to detract from the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYbLFbWJjsI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnO3Ar_3XU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-Iz1xx4mo

Each to his\her own, but I find the Advent Vega has horrid viewing angles, I think the price is out of line, when compared to the Hannspree Hannspad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Amalgam wrote: »
    Be careful, there's 'manufacturing issues' with the current batch of the Archos 80 G9 tablets. Basically, just 'holding' the tablet will cause rings and ripples to appear on the screen, this stems from a bad design choice, featured around the chassis mount points for the screen and various clips to hold the tablet together.

It's a bit of a lottery scratch card, if your tablet will be normal, or not..

I've seen this first hand and it is not pretty at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I believe Archos have fixed the problem. I hope so or mine will be going straight back to Komplett.

Advertisement