Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leicester Tigers -v- Ulster; Welford Road; KO 6pm 19/11/11 Live on Sky Sports 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Leicester turning the screw a little.

Ulster must hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ulster deserve at least a losing bonus point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Try Leicester.

17-9 Leicester. Flood misses conv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Doesn't look like Ulster will get anything from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leicester were very good in the second half IMO.

Ulster should possibly have managed a LBP, but Leicester did well to deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ulster deserved something from that.

Humphreys mixed the very good with the inexcusably bad and that was the difference in the end. A bit of creativity from Wallace might have helped, midfield was a bit one-dimensional.

Ulster need maximum points from Aironi and have to hope other results go their way.

I really don't think Spence is a 12. I know Jaco think he could be, but I just think he was limited there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I really don't think Spence is a 12. I know Jaco think he could be, but I just think he was limited there tonight.

Yes. He didn't pull up any trees today although in defence he was good. BUT. He is playing to order as a crash ball 12. He is a far better player than that. Once again we suffered by playing Danielli at 15. He was somewhat to blame for being out of position for the try and was generally poor all night. When he is at 15 he adds even less in attack than usual. Humphreys failed touch penalty was embarrassing. That was the turning point when the defence had won a great penalty. Humphreys also missed his easiest kick of the night at goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Only saw the first half but Tuohy impressed me again, hopefuly he keeps his form up till the 6N, would love to see what he could bring to the Irish pack. It'll be an interesting test of Kidneys selection policy. I imagine Kidney would loath to drop DOC given his experience and partnership with O'Connell but if he isnt starting the big games for Munster he really shouldnt be in the Irish side. It'll be a good indicator as to whether Kidney will be the right man to lead Ireland in whats likely to be a transitionary period for the national side.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. He didn't pull up any trees today although in defence he was good. BUT. He is playing to order as a crash ball 12. He is a far better player than that. Once again we suffered by playing Danielli at 15. He was somewhat to blame for being out of position for the try and was generally poor all night. When he is at 15 he adds even less in attack than usual. Humphreys failed touch penalty was embarrassing. That was the turning point when the defence had won a great penalty. Humphreys also missed his easiest kick of the night at goal.

I couldn't believe Humphs missed touch from there. It seems that he just has trouble staying focused. Some of his mistakes are baffling, he does things that a junior player would be disappointed with. I think Leicester scored very very soon after that as well.

Why isn't D'Arcy preferred to Danielli? Is it a squad seniority thing?

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe Humphs missed touch from there. It seems that he just has trouble staying focused. Some of his mistakes are baffling, he does things that a junior player would be disappointed with. I think Leicester scored very very soon after that as well.

Why isn't D'Arcy preferred to Danielli? Is it a squad seniority thing?

No, it's a selection stupidity thing. Akin to last year when NOC was selected for a run of games ahead of Humphreys. Let's face it, Ethel the Tea lady is a better 10 than NOC. I know it. You know it. Even Gaddafi knew it. I think his last words were, "God in heaven, not NOC at 10 against Toulouse".

Ethel the tea lady's shopping trolley is a better 15 than Danielli. It would certainly be faster. I know it. You know it. Even the drones on Sky commentary had the wit to mention it after yet another blunder. Apparently Brian Mclaughlin and his assorted untrained and unqualified dog circus have failed to realise what the whole rugby world realises. Danielli is the worst 15 in pro rugby in Ireland. DON'T SELECT THE POOR PHUQER AT 15. IF YOU NEED TO SELECT HIM, DO IT AT 11 OR 14 BUT FOR THE SAKE OF ALL RUGBY SANITY PICK ONE OF THE VERY GOOD FULL BACKS ON THE BOOKS. IT ONLY MAKES YOU LOOK EVEN MORE INEPT - IF THAT'S POSSIBLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

POC
    > Tuohy
    > Glut of other players.

If he's not in our 22 come the 6N it will make no sense. Fantastic work rate. Good physicality. Solid line out. Great hands. Extremely mobile and sharp on his feet. In short, he is the only modern lock we have playing in the country and to a high standard. I know McCarthy is making a decent fist of it also but he's not quite in the same class. He would add a great dimension to our forward play.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Agreed, Tuohy is our version of Courtney Lawes or Gray imo.
    Great athlete, lovely hands, power and pace, but may need another more experienced guy beside him.
    Him and POC would be a great partnership imo, and it would allow POC to stop trying to carry so much ball.
    Ryan and Tuohy would be too inexperienced though imo, which is why I'd have DOC/Cullen on the bench, but we know Kidney's man love for Ryan.

If Mike McCarthy is selected over Dan Tuohy I'll be very upset. McCarthy will be pushing 30 and realistically is not going to start regularly in the 6 Nations at any point in his career. Tuohy has much more upside and is a good bit younger. 2nd row squad for me should be POC, Tuohy, Toner, DOC/Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

jacothelad wrote: »
    No, it's a selection stupidity thing. Akin to last year when NOC was selected for a run of games ahead of Humphreys. Let's face it, Ethel the Tea lady is a better 10 than NOC. I know it. You know it. Even Gaddafi knew it. I think his last words were, "God in heaven, not NOC at 10 against Toulouse".

Ethel the tea lady's shopping trolley is a better 15 than Danielli. It would certainly be faster. I know it. You know it. Even the drones on Sky commentary had the wit to mention it after yet another blunder. Apparently Brian Mclaughlin and his assorted untrained and unqualified dog circus have failed to realise what the whole rugby world realises. Danielli is the worst 15 in pro rugby in Ireland. DON'T SELECT THE POOR PHUQER AT 15. IF YOU NEED TO SELECT HIM, DO IT AT 11 OR 14 BUT FOR THE SAKE OF ALL RUGBY SANITY PICK ONE OF THE VERY GOOD FULL BACKS ON THE BOOKS. IT ONLY MAKES YOU LOOK EVEN MORE INEPT - IF THAT'S POSSIBLE.

Maybe Gilroys worth a shot at 15? I know he'd a few games there for the u-20s. Can anybody explain to me why he's at 11 and Trimbles at 14, surely the other way round would be better.

shuffol wrote: »
    Maybe Gilroys worth a shot at 15? I know he'd a few games there for the u-20s. Can anybody explain to me why he's at 11 and Trimbles at 14, surely the other way round would be better.

Gilroy has played 15 for Ireland U20s and is decent there but I would much rather select D'Arcy. Gaston is a very good fullback in the making as is Nelson and there are others.

It doesn't make much difference to either of them which side they play apparently. They both seem keen to roam the field to look for the ball. Given that Who? has obviously deemed that only the crash ball up the middle is the way to play rugby, it's the only chance they will have to see the ball.

Advertisement