Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake, FCKING AWESOME!

Options
  • 06-11-2011 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Yeah! This is why Quake kicks so much ass.

I played this level in 1999 in the first weeks of September on my Saturn. This level fascinated me, weird stars of the universe as a backdrop for a weird wooden village suspended high above unseen terrain. How many levels in modern games have this level of surrealism and psychological profoundity? None. That's what. Quake introduced me to the HP Lovecraft stories which I began reading in October of 1999 all the way through to August of 2000. Quake is what I read about in July of 1996 in CVG, fascinated by a picture of Cthulu, namely this one. (I bought the game in 1998 but didn't play it fulltime until 1999 because I was freaked out by the dogs in the first level of the first episode
    cthulhu_caves.gif
    Quake introducted me to NIN, track 2 was a visceral punch in the face of full on rock n roll which I thought fck yeah thats cool. The rest of the soundtrack creeped me out. It wasn't until almost 8 years later that I became aware of NIN as an actual band and got into them.

There are certain levels I can't even name, I don't know what they are but I have images of them in my mind, they're almost subconscious but they left such an impression. So therefore basically Quake informed my youth and has made me the man I am today. Quake rules, it has monsters that were fkced up like Shamblers and levels which were messed up and weird. I love this game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hang on, just buttoning up my hipsters...will post shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's also the reason for boards.ie

Used to be just a Quake message board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hang on, just buttoning up my hipsters...will post shortly

You heard it here first folks - Enternow has a house full of half-naked hipsters he has to clothe before posting on here :P

You heard it here first folks - Enternow has a house full of half-naked hipsters he has to clothe before posting on here :P

You dont like hipsters? You hipster! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,606 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Keeping naked hipsters chained up in your house sounds pretty hipster to me. I'd watch out for that Enternow. Before you know it you'll be wearing scarves indoors and watching bad, obscure independent films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Love Quake me, layer them all, enjoyed them all, especially the first one.
    Must be said though, slipping off the rose tinted spectacles for a second, the fps genre has really moved on, everything from Metroid Prime, Bullet storm, Half Life 2, COD all have furthered the fps along, adding more and more features.
    It'd be easy to compare the Quakes with later fps games but the only thing they have in common is the point of view, everything else has evolved or has rewritten the book, raised expectations.
    This is probably why the fps scene is now so hard to succeed in, id seem to have gone from being THE fps device house to being the "where are they now " feature. Infinity Ward and Bungie very much have stolen the crown.
    But they too will pass into meh territory and someone else will capture the Zeitgeist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Love Quake me, layer them all, enjoyed them all, especially the first one.
    Must be said though, slipping off the rose tinted spectacles for a second, the fps genre has really moved on, everything from Metroid Prime, Bullet storm, Half Life 2, COD all have furthered the fps along, adding more and more features.
    It'd be easy to compare the Quakes with later fps games but the only thing they have in common is the point of view, everything else has evolved or has rewritten the book, raised expectations.
    This is probably why the fps scene is now so hard to succeed in, id seem to have gone from being THE fps device house to being the "where are they now " feature. Infinity Ward and Bungie very much have stolen the crown.
    But they too will pass into meh territory and someone else will capture the Zeitgeist.

WTF?! Quake is a billion times better than COD and those other games you mentioned. None of them have the seething Lovecraftian doom which informs the design of every level. Even Quake 2 is sh1t compared to the original, this dark behemoth. Its such a distinctive game from the visuals to the soundtrack which sounds genuinely evil. The weapons were clunky and medieval but also futuristic, the monsters were nightmarish, the shambler look like an escaped mutant mental patient, the portals looked creepy, everything about the game owns anything made in the present.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reviewing a game, the Nyarlothothep way!

Is it developed by iD Software?
    If no, the game is ****. If yes, continue on!

Does it involve anything other than shooting **** in first-person?
    If no, the game is crap. If yes, continue on!

Does it feature monsters? Not aliens or mutants or people or bunny rabbits or rabbis. Monsters.
    If no, the game is a load of ****. If yes, continue on!

Are the monsters reminiscent of the works of Lovecraft?
    If no, what are you doing wasting your time with this rubbish? If yes, continue on!

Does it have a heavy metal / grim industrial soundtrack?
    If no, kill yourself. If yes, continue on!

Is the name of the game anymore than five letters long?
    If yes, I hate you. If no, congratulations, you have a masterpiece!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now now, if I told you once I told a million billion times, stop using hyperbolae to demonstrate your enthusiasm!

And I thought the other week you thought that Doom was the cats pyjamas and everything else was a **** stain.

Quake was great fun but doesn't really compare to the best of today's titles.
    Quake 2 really set the mood for many later Space Marine games though, not quite
    so many Lovecraft inspired fps! Not enough IMHO!

Mountains of Madness is probably his best although Colour out of Space is great too.

Now now, if I told you once I told a million billion times, stop using hyperbolae to demonstrate your enthusiasm!

And I thought the other week you thought that Doom was the cats pyjamas and everything else was a **** stain.

Quake was great fun but doesn't really compare to the best of today's titles.
    Quake 2 really set the mood for many later Space Marine games though, not quite
    so many Lovecraft inspired fps! Not enough IMHO!

Mountains of Madness is probably his best although Colour out of Space is great too.

Its not hyperbole its observation. Doom is the cats pyjamas indeed, nothing can compete with this, not even your much vaunted modern games.

But Quake is great game too, this is why I said it was awesome but didn't mention that it was the greatest game ever. Quake 2 was average, I agree that there needs to be far more Lovecraft inspired fps.

The Case of Dexter Ward is his best story. Mountains of Madness is a bit slow moving. Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath was trippy.

• Advertisement

Could someone explain to this guy what hyperbole is, and what irony is?

I think the word I need here is "contrary"
    here's a definition

In this context I use it to mean that, no matter what opinion we have that is not in complete agreement with yours, you go off on one and use the aforementioned hyperbole here's the definition of that just to clear things up and just use trash talk to make your point.

Pity that.

Do you like any non-id games?
    Anything without a nailgun or shotgun?
    Anything that doesn't mark you out as some sort of socio-path?

Just wondering if there isn't a little but of you that likes a spot of Katamari, Deus Ex or Operation: Flashpoint.

The Case of Dexter Ward is his best story.
    It's great I'll grant you, but then I have been a fan of Lovecraft for years
    Mountains of Madness is a bit slow moving.
    No it's not.
    It's perfect, the pacing is perfect, the ending is wonderful, it is almost a peerless example of SciFi/Horror and little I have read since has compared to it.
    Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath was trippy.
    Oh, I wouldn't say trippy at all, tbh, I think it's a powerful story though, another wonderful tale.

Lovecrafts biggest issue, particularly with the modern audience is his casual use of racism, sometimes quite unpleasant and shocking, where really, the things from another dimension should be doing the scares!

Could someone explain to this guy what hyperbole is, and what irony is?

Are you a hipster?
    I think the word I need here is "contrary"
    here's a definition

In this context I use it to mean that, no matter what opinion we have that is not in complete agreement with yours, you go off on one and use the aforementioned hyperbole here's the definition of that just to clear things up and just use trash talk to make your point.

Pity that.

Do you like any non-id games?
    Anything without a nailgun or shotgun?
    Anything that doesn't mark you out as some sort of socio-path?

Just wondering if there isn't a little but of you that likes a spot of Katamari, Deus Ex or Operation: Flashpoint.

Trash talk? I generally avoid swearing except tastefully to emphasize my point. Certainly there is a difference in the way I express myself and how some trashy person would convey their point, for a start they wouldn't use words like convey, express or emphasize.

And now you're calling me a sociopath? I mean really??? There should be a godel's law variant for the use of that term.

And all those games you mentioned are WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! They're WRONG!!!!!

The only other great games in existence are Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Sim City 2000. Everything else is forgettable.

Are you a hipster?

Cidey stopped being a hipster in 1975..when hipsters were real hipsters

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Cidey stopped being a hipster in 1975..when hipsters were real hipsters

1975, reckon I was only an itch in my daddy's pants back then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Andrew76 wrote: »
    1975, reckon I was only an itch in my daddy's pants back then. :pac:

Ha ha your daddy had an itch....:P:pac:

pdbhp wrote: »
    Ha ha your daddy had an itch....:P:pac:

Lol he had a few. Better than being a postman's itch I guess! :D

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol he had a few. Better than being a postman's itch I guess! :D

You know, that might explain the need for you to continually have stuff delivered from ebay.

'I just want to meet my real father!' :(

Um you didn't read my post then no. ;)

Are you a hipster?
    No, but I was a Raver once, back in the late 80s, early 90s, good times!
    The only other great games in existence are Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Sim City 2000. Everything else is forgettable.

I'm afraid using Sim City 2000 as an example of the greatest of games has kinda tipped your hand there.
    Similar City on the Snes was probably my favourite of the series but by any estimation Sim City 2000 was over egged.

And once again saying every other game is forgettable you are sinking once again into hyperbole, forgetting Metal Gear Solid, Ico, Marioworld, Mario 64, Super Metroid, AvP2, Star Wars, Sonic 2, Zelda series, Tempest, Robotron, Galaga, Katamari, Gran Turismo 2, Wipeout 2097, Uncharted, Ikaruga, Rez, Crazy Taxi, Half Life 2, Duck Hunt. So many great games so many awesome times, countless hours of enjoyment.

I really am starting to feel quite sorry for you tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

By the way you can play Single Player Quake now with new and improved Quake Clients which will bring back all those memories with improved textures making the gameplay even more realistic.
    There are new graphics, skins, models, huds which have modernised the clients.

Here are 2 clients to consider. All of them are free and can be used for Single player Quake.

1) nQuake Package (eZquake Client): http://www.nquake.com
    2) DarkPlaces Quake Client: DarkPlaces Client

Also for anyone interested in quake single player maps. We are in the middle of cataloging (Tagging, taking screenshots and writing descriptions) for all the Quake Single Player maps. Keep an eye on http://maps.quakeworld.nu as it gets updated. We have done 400 at the moment but we have 6000 maps to work through.

And for anyone even more hardcode Quakeworld is still going strong after 15 years, there is a new tourney for new players starting this week called Ignition Ignition Rookie Tournament

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If you add Fallout to that list I'd be inclined to agree with you.... actually never mind I'll start my own Fallout, "FCKING AWSOME!" thread.

s4xqhk.jpg.gif

I'll just go ahead and ban myself.

No, but I was a Raver once, back in the late 80s, early 90s, good times!

I'm afraid using Sim City 2000 as an example of the greatest of games has kinda tipped your hand there.
    Similar City on the Snes was probably my favourite of the series but by any estimation Sim City 2000 was over egged.

And once again saying every other game is forgettable you are sinking once again into hyperbole, forgetting Metal Gear Solid, Ico, Marioworld, Mario 64, Super Metroid, AvP2, Star Wars, Sonic 2, Zelda series, Tempest, Robotron, Galaga, Katamari, Gran Turismo 2, Wipeout 2097, Uncharted, Ikaruga, Rez, Crazy Taxi, Half Life 2, Duck Hunt. So many great games so many awesome times, countless hours of enjoyment.

I really am starting to feel quite sorry for you tbh.

Sim City was brilliant, it was a god game that thought me how to manage my finances and be creative.

All those games aren't that great. I played Wipeout recently and its boring, Sonic games were great but by no means as great as Quake or Doom. Gran Turismo is no Sega Rally, Mario 64 and Marioworld don't hold a candle to Marioland 2: Six Golden Coins, All the other ones sound like Anime Manga games which suck in general.

LoGiE wrote: »
    If you add Fallout to that list I'd be inclined to agree with you.... actually never mind I'll start my own Fallout, "FCKING AWSOME!" thread.

s4xqhk.jpg.gif

I'll just go ahead and ban myself.

Fallout sucks, my predominant impression of Fallout is a sea of grey and people being overly serious about nuclear war.

Sim City was brilliant, it was a god game that thought me how to manage my finances and be creative.

All those games aren't that great. I played Wipeout recently and its boring, Sonic games were great but by no means as great as Quake or Doom. Gran Turismo is no Sega Rally, Mario 64 and Marioworld don't hold a candle to Marioland 2: Six Golden Coins, All the other ones sound like Anime Manga games which suck in general.

How do you choose your meals?

A chicken curry is nicer than cornflakes, but you hardly break out a wok at 8am do you? You can't compare Sonic to Doom...how can you, they're two brilliant games but aside from being video games they've nothing in common. Different games appeal in different ways, much the same was as the chicken curry & cornflake example :o

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

cant-tell-if-stupid-or-trolling-jpg.6665

its rare that a meme is as apt as it is now -with reference to effectively everything nyarlothothep says - as much as DooM rules what you are saying is vacuous or and example of success trolling

Ah yes, I'm sure it came in handy, all those times you had to figure where to put that airport and how to stop those pesky aliens from attacking your industrial zones....
    All those games aren't that great.
    They are all great, thats why I mentioned them.
    I deliberately picked games that no one could possibly disagree with, looks like, in your case at least, I was wrong.
    I played Wipeout recently and its boring
    Which one?
    Wipeout?
    Wipeout 2097?
    Wipeout 3/SE?
    Wipeout Pure?
    Which one?
    Wipeout and Wipeout Fusion are the only two that are not that great, the rest are all pretty good, and 2097 is reckoned to be the standard bearer although I have a special place for Wipeout 3 SE.
    Sonic games were great but by no means as great as Quake or Doom.
    And baked beans are better than custard...
    Gran Turismo is no Sega Rally
    Well spotted, someone give this guy a cookie!
    Mario 64 and Marioworld don't hold a candle to Marioland 2: Six Golden Coins
    On second thoughts hold that cookie, just get him a taxi home, I think he's had enough...
    All the other ones sound like Anime Manga games which suck in general.
    Hmm, yes indeed
    Uncharted,
    Ikaruga,
    Rez,
    Crazy Taxi,
    Half Life 2,
    Duck Hunt,
    Zelda series,
    Tempest,
    Robotron,
    Galaga,
    Katamari
    Super Metroid,
    AvP2,
    Star Wars,
    Metal Gear Solid,
    Ico

According to you, the above are all anime manga games?
    Do you even know what anime or manga are?
    Have you received a blow to the head recently?
    Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?

Bloody hell!

I know now that you are just having a laugh, yes?
    More fool me for rising to it!
    Ha ha!
    Very good, silly me....

Seriously, say it's all a joke now and save what is left of any credibility you once had, seriously, giving you an out here, grab it, grab it while you can!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm eagarly awaitng a barmy retort.... Then I think I'll pull the shutters down on this one.;)

Master of the Universe

Anyone else think nyarlothothep is in fact John Romero trying to make some weird comeback?

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I'm sure it came in handy, all those times you had to figure where to put that airport and how to stop those pesky aliens from attacking your industrial zones....

They are all great, thats why I mentioned them.
    I deliberately picked games that no one could possibly disagree with, looks like, in your case at least, I was wrong.

Which one?
    Wipeout?
    Wipeout 2097?
    Wipeout 3/SE?
    Wipeout Pure?
    Which one?
    Wipeout and Wipeout Fusion are the only two that are not that great, the rest are all pretty good, and 2097 is reckoned to be the standard bearer although I have a special place for Wipeout 3 SE.

And baked beans are better than custard...

Well spotted, someone give this guy a cookie!

On second thoughts hold that cookie, just get him a taxi home, I think he's had enough...

Hmm, yes indeed
    Uncharted,
    Ikaruga,
    Rez,
    Crazy Taxi,
    Half Life 2,
    Duck Hunt,
    Zelda series,
    Tempest,
    Robotron,
    Galaga,
    Katamari
    Super Metroid,
    AvP2,
    Star Wars,
    Metal Gear Solid,
    Ico

According to you, the above are all anime manga games?
    Do you even know what anime or manga are?
    Have you received a blow to the head recently?
    Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?

Bloody hell!

I know now that you are just having a laugh, yes?
    More fool me for rising to it!
    Ha ha!
    Very good, silly me....

Seriously, say it's all a joke now and save what is left of any credibility you once had, seriously, giving you an out here, grab it, grab it while you can!

Ah quote mining, again! I'm not a troll, I just have these opinions and people think I'm either barmy or a troll. But I'm neither. There have been many like me that were labelled as such but later turned out to be right in their viewpoints or with what they were trying to do.

The reason Doom is better and hence can be compared to Sonic is because we're talking about greatness which is transcendent of genre. A great game is a great game regardless of what type of game it is. Greatness is self evident. Sonic isn't as great as Doom. Sonic is just Supermario as a hedgehog.

I know I know, anime is animated, Manga refers to comics, the reason I conflated the two into an all encompassing term is because its all the same. Its all a load of crap. I read Battle Royale and at the time I thought, wow this is cool but now I'm left with the memory that it stinks. I've seen Escaflowne, I watched the whole damn thing and the answer to meaning of the universe or whatever it was about was Love? Love?! I watched Akira and everyone says oh, thats a great film but its crap, its just people shouting each other's names and cod philosophical wankery about creating a new universe with ontological metaphysical mind fckery. Its rubbish. Princess Monoke failed because it was a cartoon trying to come off as an Oscar winning drama, no its a cartoon with talking dogs. The only reason people like anime and manga is to score nerd points with each other, and by that token anime manga games are crap.

Don't close my Quake thread, there's so much more reminiscing to be done. Blame Ciderman, its his fault for dragging this thread off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement