Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax T2 is it Saorview compatible?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Just got a Humax T2 (to use for UK HD DTT on an HD ready set I have)and notice it does not register any digital signal at all from Clermont Carn (CC).

I cannot get CC digital yet (although analogue is ok) because its nulled towards my location (Isle of Man) however the signal strength registers 40% on my TVs (panasonics) and on an TM6900 combo I was using it registered 40+% and quality of about 20%. In freak conditions last summer signal peaked enough to come through.

Just wondered if the Humax is not compatible - it is DVB-T1 & T2

Welcome any views!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yes, it should work ok with Saorview.
    Off topic, I am sitting here in Donegal listening to the TT on Manx Radio over the web, waiting for the Senior. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Thanks for that.

I can't understand why its not registering any signal (like the TVs) though - anyway I will see what its like when(if) they turn the wick up!

On TT its just been delayed an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Which transmitter are you trying to get from Ireland?
    Try here for transmitter sites

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.php

TT delayed 'til 15.30 now.
    Will have to miss it live and watch highlights tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

As i was saying in a previous thread, im seriously considering getting this box - i would love if someone who uses it could post a "Review" of sorts outlining the Saorview functionality and perhaps a few photographs of the FreeviewHD/Saorview EPG!

Of course im well aware of the fact that DVB-T2 is fully saorview compliant etc etc but i keep going back to that old saying - Seeing is Believing!;)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

excollier wrote: »
    Which transmitter are you trying to get from Ireland?
    Try here for transmitter sites

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.php

TT delayed 'til 15.30 now.
    Will have to miss it live and watch highlights tonight

Only transmitter I can get a sniff of here is Clermont Carn (CC) I am too far up the west coast to get Three Rock (which you can get on the South of the Island). At present CC analogue is ok and if the DTT power eventually goes up should get that (alternatively there's the possibility of RTE1 2 and T na G from Divis eventually - where I currently get my main UK DTT feed from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭swoofer

I have one working on SAORVIEW and will do a few pics a little later. Its very very good, I got a usb HDD hooked up to it as well, so I get pause/rewind/record. It does the 7 day epg so I can record up to 7 days, it does not do series link. It does the new text and very nice it is too, its a pity RTE are slow off the mark updating but will no doubt improve. Channels are 801 etc, this does not bother me. The best bit is it upscales everything to 1080p and my TV hadles that so HD looks ace.

All the DOGS are the killer for me as they look naff on big screens.

Any more q's fire away.

gb--

Well seems like it is Saorview compatible I will just have to wait for a bit of signal boost (probably next year!).

I actually got it for a (old) HD ready Panasonic TV so I could get the Freeview HD from Beary transmitter (just done the coast from me) and thats coming in fine.

I was just a little surprised when there was no signal at all registering from C Carn although on the TV digital tuner there is a whiff of a signal (ie about 40%) but no pic because its to weak and the wrong type of tuner DVB-T.

Anyway thanks for all replies - roll on next year or of course Saorsat - if that reaches me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I have one working on SAORVIEW and will do a few pics a little later. Its very very good, I got a usb HDD hooked up to it as well, so I get pause/rewind/record. It does the 7 day epg so I can record up to 7 days, it does not do series link. It does the new text and very nice it is too, its a pity RTE are slow off the mark updating but will no doubt improve. Channels are 801 etc, this does not bother me. The best bit is it upscales everything to 1080p and my TV hadles that so HD looks ace.

Any more q's fire away.

gb--

Does the EPG display programme info on the Humax, "Now & Next", 7 days etc, unlike my Tecnika Freeview HD box?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Any more q's fire away.

gb--

Can the channel list be edited, so RTE 1 is on channel 1 etc ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Peddyr wrote: »
    Does the EPG display programme info on the Humax, "Now & Next", 7 days etc, unlike my Tecnika Freeview HD box?

yes the humax freeviewhd+ has a 7 daysepg

• Advertisement

here are a few pics, the box is set up as a PVR so it will do everything, pause/rewind/buffer, record.

The pics show it in action. So here goes and 1 = pic one etc and I am rushing so may be out of sequence

1. Press guide button and the epg pops up, look closely its 18th june.

3. Shows what is scheduled to record, you get this by pressing yellow button

5. shows a program reserved for recording, see red clock

6. shows what happens when you try to record 2 progs at same time

7. shows the program synopsis when you select programme and press i button and you can see its a book and probably scuppered loads of combos, ie too much detail.

If you look at bottom of screen it tells you, resolution, stereo, signal and quality, how long prog is ie a bar that fills up. When guide is open there is a small screen of prog you are watching. I'll post a few more later.

NB 1. You cant change channels from the 800 range, its too complex to explain but this is a UK box and based on post codes.

NB 2 The guide as explained shows all the progs for all the channels but this is the nifty bit so pay attention, say you are watching TV3 emmerdale and you want to know whats next, just press i button, banner appears then arrow right, next prog appears, press i again and it gives prog description BUT you can arrow up and down as well and do the same, ie check progs on other channels, so really annoy partner.

more later

gb

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Does it suffer from the summertime glitch like other FreeviewHD boxes?

Perhaps there is a menu option to set a local time or a workaround?

Yes the epg is fine Peddyr and a dream to install - plug and away you go!

You should get RTE fine where you are - from Three Rock - any sign of increase on C Carn let me know.

Oh! by the way locally they are selling these for £149 where as on Amazon its £89 so no contest.

Cheers.

@danjo I posted earlier on how to fix the time issue, its a secret menu and it goes

menu, settings, system, system information, then press red, green, yellow, blue, green, yellow, blue. Then change country and voila it sets correct time.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

@danjo I posted earlier on how to fix the time issue, its a secret menu and it goes menu, settings, system, system information, then press red, green, yellow, blue, green, yellow, blue. Then change country and voila it sets correct time. gb--

I can confirm this worked on my Fox T2 HDR.

buggane wrote: »
    Yes the epg is fine Peddyr and a dream to install - plug and away you go!

You should get RTE fine where you are - from Three Rock - any sign of increase on C Carn let me know.

Oh! by the way locally they are selling these for £149 where as on Amazon its £89 so no contest.

Cheers.

Thanks Buggane,

The EPG & info on the Technika Freeview HD is rubbish for Saorview - doesn't work for most of the time. It might have something to do with having two aerials connected to the box (one for Irish, the other for UK DTT), but this is still the case when only 'Irish' aerial connected.

Nothing here on 53 from CC, too well nulled in my direction. Got good signal occasionally a few years back when it was MPEG2 trial, but had nothing since August '08 from CC. I get my Saorview from 3R/Kippure. If I win the lotto might consider the Humax PVR model...

OK - So i decided to go for a Humax FOX T2 HD from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HD-FOX-T2-Freeview-Set/dp/B0036TGN8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1308482449&sr=8-6

Total cost 112Euro including P&P

It arrived on Friday and took approximately 5 minutes to set up - I upgraded the unit with the latest firmware from Humax's website, which upgraded the unit to having USB PVR capability - I connected a 250GB external HDD:

Now i have two MPEG4 HD TV's in my house:

-Philips 32PFL5604H - Philips TV's are fairly decent, but they do have to be set to UK in order to get the MHEG5 functionality - They do have an EPG but it is notoriously bad:

-Samsung LE32C450 - Decent EPG and quality and fully functioning MHEG5 aertel -

For comparison i should point out that i have used/seen the following Boxes in action too:

-Triax ST-HD527
    -Triax STHD537 - (Still recovering and considering a self help group:eek:)
    -Ferguson Ariva T50

So! How does the HUMAX compare and what do i think of it?

FANTASTIC! Without doubt the BEST TERRESTRIAL BOX I HAVE EVER USED! 5 out of 5, A++++!

-MHEG5 Functionality: FLAWLESS! Extremely fast and smooth and easy to use, and MUCH FASTER then either the Philips or the Samsung; Also appears slightly sharper than the philips internal tuner - easy to compare by simply switching from STB to Internal DTT.

-EPG and Scheduling: Full functionality. Initially the unit displayed incorrect time - This is easily solved via a Hidden Menu - See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72314357 - Once set to Ireland, the time displayed in the epg is perfect.

-USB PVR Functionality: This is the icing on the top - It is the best USB PVR Functionality i have ever seen - The time shift functionality works as soon as you switch the unit on - you can rewind live TV without having to first pause, The unit begins recording as soon as its switched on - Also with the single MUX currently in use, the unit functions perfectly as a virtual Twin Tuner, allowing one to record station A and watch station B. You can schedule recordings a week in advance - You can also set a padding time i.e. the unit can be set to begin recording 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after in case a program is delayed.

- Remote Control: Very easy to use Universal Remote Control, which took only a few minutes to set up with my Philips TV.

All in all, its a BRILLIANT Set top Box - Although i havent seen all of the Saorview Certified Boxes in use, i have seen the early Walker unit - And even setting aside the PVR functionality which isnt present in the walker, the HUMAX is clearly leagues ahead - I havent seen any of the PVR Saorview certified boxes, but going on what i have read on boards, (Time shift issues on the Walker, HDD issues on the Triax), the HUMAX seems leagues ahead. And for 112Euro delivered, I believe it is the Best Choice!

liamtech wrote: »
    OK - So i decided to go for a Humax FOX T2 HD from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HD-FOX-T2-Freeview-Set/dp/B0036TGN8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1308482449&sr=8-6

Total cost 112Euro including P&P

It arrived on Friday and took approximately 5 minutes to set up - I upgraded the unit with the latest firmware from Humax's website, which upgraded the unit to having USB PVR capability - I connected a 250GB external HDD:

Now i have two MPEG4 HD TV's in my house:

-Philips 32PFL5604H - Philips TV's are fairly decent, but they do have to be set to UK in order to get the MHEG5 functionality - They do have an EPG but it is notoriously bad:

-Samsung LE32C450 - Decent EPG and quality and fully functioning MHEG5 aertel -

For comparison i should point out that i have used/seen the following Boxes in action too:

-Triax ST-HD527
    -Triax STHD537 - (Still recovering and considering a self help group:eek:)
    -Ferguson Ariva T50

So! How does the HUMAX compare and what do i think of it?

FANTASTIC! Without doubt the BEST TERRESTRIAL BOX I HAVE EVER USED! 5 out of 5, A++++!

-MHEG5 Functionality: FLAWLESS! Extremely fast and smooth and easy to use, and MUCH FASTER then either the Philips or the Samsung; Also appears slightly sharper than the philips internal tuner - easy to compare by simply switching from STB to Internal DTT.

-EPG and Scheduling: Full functionality. Initially the unit displayed incorrect time - This is easily solved via a Hidden Menu - See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72314357 - Once set to Ireland, the time displayed in the epg is perfect.

-USB PVR Functionality: This is the icing on the top - It is the best USB PVR Functionality i have ever seen - The time shift functionality works as soon as you switch the unit on - you can rewind live TV without having to first pause, The unit begins recording as soon as its switched on - Also with the single MUX currently in use, the unit functions perfectly as a virtual Twin Tuner, allowing one to record station A and watch station B. You can schedule recordings a week in advance - You can also set a padding time i.e. the unit can be set to begin recording 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after in case a program is delayed.

- Remote Control: Very easy to use Universal Remote Control, which took only a few minutes to set up with my Philips TV.

All in all, its a BRILLIANT Set top Box - Although i havent seen all of the Saorview Certified Boxes in use, i have seen the early Walker unit - And even setting aside the PVR functionality which isnt present in the walker, the HUMAX is clearly leagues ahead - I havent seen any of the PVR Saorview certified boxes, but going on what i have read on boards, (Time shift issues on the Walker, HDD issues on the Triax), the HUMAX seems leagues ahead. And for 112Euro delivered, I believe it is the Best Choice!

Appears to be good news. Any chance of some images of the EPG and info working with Saorview?

Appears to be good news. Any chance of some images of the EPG and info working with Saorview?

I will upload some later - But on the first page of this Thread GBCULLEN was kind enough to upload some of his - There the ones that convinced me - The Fox T2 is even better close up!

Glad you liked it and I like your review.

here are some more images, only allowed 5 max

gb-

• Advertisement

It is a savage box - I forgot to mention that i find the UPSCALING of SD stations to be second to none - The quality is far better than the Philips internal tuner - RTE1 and even TV3 and RT1+1 look a hell of a lot better - ANd i for one can not tell that RTE2HD isnt full HD - it looks superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Does Series Link work on it correctly?

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Does Series Link work on it correctly?

As far as i was aware Saorview are not broadcasting Series Link data yet - as to whether it will be the same sort of series link as FreeviewHD - we dont know yet - But with whats available now, it is truly a fantastic box - amazing quality, great EPG, savage up-scaling, and fully MHEG5 compatible - as i said it is better than the saorview receivers i have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

OK - understood. So for now you have to pick out individual episodes and record from the EPG?

Do you use a powered USB drive (i.e. one with a separate PSU) or can you use a USB powered 2.5" drive?

I will upload some later - But on the first page of this Thread GBCULLEN was kind enough to upload some of his - There the ones that convinced me - The Fox T2 is even better close up!

Sorry! Forgot about GB's earlier post! Having info on what you're watching is a big plus for me. Currently have no info on the Tesco Technika Freeview HD STB. Picture and Text all ok but no DVB subtitles or info in the EPG or "Now and Next'', so glad to see it works on the Hummy. I don't suppose subtitles work though...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Does it have a loop through for the Aerial? i.e I intent to look out for a PVR to replace my DVD recorder. My TV already is Saorview complaint so for everyday just watching the PVR won't even be switched on. Left in standby most of the time.

If I connect my antenna into the PVR, connect that to the TV through the 'Aerial Out', can I still watch Saorview on the TV without having the PVR switched on? Or does the unit need to be switched on for this to work?

Neffa2 wrote: »
    OK - understood. So for now you have to pick out individual episodes and record from the EPG?

Do you use a powered USB drive (i.e. one with a separate PSU) or can you use a USB powered 2.5" drive?

Apparently this box can take a 2.5" USB powered Drive - But im using a 4 year old 3.5" Drive - and its working PERFECTLY so far... and to be honest EPG recording seems fine - for now anyway - Hopefully Saorview will use a compatible version of Series Link

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Does it have a loop through for the Aerial? i.e I intent to look out for a PVR to replace my DVD recorder. My TV already is Saorview complaint so for everyday just watching the PVR won't even be switched on. Left in standby most of the time.

If I connect my antenna into the PVR, connect that to the TV through the 'Aerial Out', can I still watch Saorview on the TV without having the PVR switched on? Or does the unit need to be switched on for this to work?

There is an Aerial Loop through which works fine - I did notice a light drop in signal strength on the TV's internal tuner when the unit is left in standby - drop was solely in Signal strength - Signal quality was unaffected, so it should be fine - Be aware that you will need a hard drive - a USB Key will work but not for timeshift - unless its over 32GB in size - Your best off with a hard drive - Once again i would have to sing this boxes praises - So far its 100% brilliant - I did notice one little negative -

channel numbering is 800 to 807 and cant be changed - BUT that doesnt matter to be honest - the box only shows you channels which are present and accounted for - it never trys to look at any channel number outside 800 to 807 -

To be honest that doesnt bother me what so ever - Its a SAVAGE BOX -

Im planning on taking a few more pictures and maybe a Video of it in use as a Saorview Box - Id say it could become a VERY popular box in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

To be honest that doesnt bother me what so ever - Its a SAVAGE BOX

Nice one, was was looking at this Humax HDR T2 but at over £329 plus delivery it seems a crazy price when compared to this unit. I haven't even converted to Euro yet! I wouldn't mind too much missing out on the second Tuner!

Does it let you record one channel and watch another?

I'm gonna hold off another few months to see if any word on Series Link comes out, fingers crossed this will be compatable. I have the Humax Freesat PVR and have nothing but good to say about their products.

• Advertisement

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Nice one, was was looking at this Humax HDR T2 but at over £329 plus delivery it seems a crazy price when compared to this unit. I haven't even converted to Euro yet! I wouldn't mind too much missing out on the second Tuner!

Does it let you record one channel and watch another?

I'm gonna hold off another few months to see if any word on Series Link comes out, fingers crossed this will be compatable. I have the Humax Freesat PVR and have nothing but good to say about their products.

Well i paid 112euro incl delivery for the HD-Fox T2 and at that price its a bargain - 100% - Ive never been this impressed with a Set-top box - EVER!

Due to the fact that All stations are currently broadcasting on the same MUX, this unit currently acts as a Twin Tuner - I can Record RTE while watching TV3 etc - FANTASTIC!

To be fair i should point out one VERY SLIGHT "Down Side" - The Humax is not "Classic Teletext" compatable - Thats no issue for the RTE stations - But TV3, 3e and TG4 are all broadcasting their Teletext in "Classic" mode - So they don't work with this box -

AGAIN - i would hardly call this a fault: with Digital Aertel there i never use TV3 or 3e Text - Isn't much on it TBH!

Advertisement