Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2011, 14:36   #1
darrcow

best breed of pig

as the title says what is the best breed of pig for a smallholder and what would be the average price for a piglet of that breed
Advertisement
10-10-2011, 19:24   #2
Davenjulie

We had Oxford sandy and blacks for our first forray into pig keeping this year. Great for beginners as they are very docile, great flavour and not meant to put on too much fat, no matter how heavy they get. Also meant to be a good all rounder, good for either pork or bacon

Last edited by Davenjulie; 10-10-2011 at 19:27.
10-10-2011, 22:20   #3
Askim

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrcow View Post
as the title says what is the best breed of pig for a smallholder and what would be the average price for a piglet of that breed
Hi, last year i had gloucester old spot - landrace cross, this year i have saddleback, my requirement is a traditional breed, don't have to be pure, as i only fatten & i don't want to breed at the moment.

I have paid €50 each for 10 weeks old, would pay about €60

A
12-10-2011, 18:23   #4
ddogsbollix

any duroc cross are very good cause hey are very hardy( would get sunburned) and they also have lovely meat. in my opinion keep away from saddleback- to much fat on them wouldnt taste that nice.

you'll find the duroc on donedeal
12-10-2011, 22:52   #5
CJhaughey

I have kept a lot of different breeds but for me Saddlebacks are the best, they are fairly docile, short legs which mean they aren't super fast and tall like pure Durocs. Hardy and produce fantastic meat.
Any traditional breed pig can run to fat if left too long or given the wrong diet.
I would also try and buy pigs that have been trained into recognising electric fences, if you intend on using one.
also try and get pigs that have been accustomed to humans, some pigs you get are semi-wild through being left with no human interaction.
Try and buy from a reputable breeder or someone who takes care in what they do it will pay dividends in the future.
Advertisement
12-10-2011, 23:25   #6
tfox

landrace cross saddlebacks, very tasty and you dont end up with 2 inches of fat on them !!
13-10-2011, 10:20   #7
lanod2407

What about rooting?
I've quite wet & peaty land so I'd want a breed that isn't a profilic rooter - i.e. won't completely plough the place?
13-10-2011, 11:28   #8
cloudroost

From what I can tell, all pigs will root. To limit this, you would need to go for a breed that has a short snout and floppy ears (from what I have read..). Avoid tamworths, as they like rooting a lot.
I currently have a couple of GOS/Duroc crosses - They don't root half as much as tamworths (which I had over last winter) and are a lot more placid.
13-10-2011, 11:37   #9
CJhaughey

The destructive capabilities of pigs increase in proportion to their size/age.
Young pigs don't root as much as older pigs in my experience.
TBH if you are worried about the land being rooted up don't put a pig on it.
Advertisement
14-10-2011, 20:06   #10
blue5000

I think when I was a kid the pigs had a small ring in their noses to stop them rooting, anyone else seen this? Some sort of duroc cross would be my preference for outdoor pigs.
14-10-2011, 21:31   #11
Askim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5000 View Post
I think when I was a kid the pigs had a small ring in their noses to stop them rooting, anyone else seen this? Some sort of duroc cross would be my preference for outdoor pigs.
i think that ringing pigs is illegal now, besides why stop a pig doing what pigs do, if you don't want them to root then just keep them inside.
15-10-2011, 20:50   #12
Davenjulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askim View Post
i think that ringing pigs is illegal now, besides why stop a pig doing what pigs do, if you don't want them to root then just keep them inside.
But doesn't keeping pigs inside still stop them from what comes naturally
15-10-2011, 23:59   #13
Askim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenjulie View Post
But doesn't keeping pigs inside still stop them from what comes naturally
yes but you don't have to ring them,

if someone is worried about them rooting they should just keep them in, me i like it when they plough & eat as much natural food as possible.
20-10-2011, 00:08   #14
fodda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askim View Post
yes but you don't have to ring them,

if someone is worried about them rooting they should just keep them in, me i like it when they plough & eat as much natural food as possible.
You cant keep most pig breeds inside sheds it is cruel.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion