Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any ideas on a good Rugby Book

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I want to get my boyfriend a rugby book for his birthday but havent a clue about rugby hes big into munster rugby and has the alan quinlan and ronan o gara book already anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The book about Munster beating the AB's is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I want to get my boyfriend a rugby book for his birthday but havent a clue about rugby hes big into munster rugby and has the alan quinlan and ronan o gara book already anyone any suggestions?

Haven't heard of any but I am sure a few books are lined up to come out post-World Cup and in time for the Xmas Market if you can wait that long? Trevor Brennan's books was a great read which would be enjoyed by all rugby fans if he hasn't already read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Stand up and Fight - Alan English is the book about Munster V AB's

Other books well worth a read are ..
    From There to Here - Irish Rugby in Pro Era - Brendan Fanning
    Rucks and Mauls - Moss Keane
    Axel - Anthony Foley
    Never Die Wondering - Eddie O'Sullivan
    Time Added on - George Hook

Now what ever you might think about Eddie and George, the books are well worth a read. Rucks and Mauls would be my favourite however.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

I've just started Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary and it seems quite good.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Matt Hampson's new book, while not all about rugby, is supposed to be brilliant.

Whatever you do, stay away from ROG and BOD's efforts. Awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jackmans is pretty poor too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

durkadurka wrote: »
    Jackmans is pretty poor too.

Oh i forgot that one, that's worse than the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Jackmans is one of the worst books I've ever read.

Heart and Soul, Trevor Brennans book is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Inis Eoghain

Voices from the Back of the Bus: Tall Tales and Hoary Stories from Rugby's Real Heroes by Stewart McKinney. I really enjoyed this book that is made up of short stories from numerous different players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Rugby wisdom. Good toilet book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Trevor Brennan's and Moss Keane's are both top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

+1 on Confessions of A Rugby Mercenary, Great read.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Voices from the Back of the Bus: Tall Tales and Hoary Stories from Rugby's Real Heroes by Stewart McKinney. I really enjoyed this book that is made up of short stories from numerous different players

A friend read this and said it was funny.

When Dallaglio turned up to his first England training session he only had 1 or 2 bags and felt like he'd left a pile of stuff behind when Jason Leonard showed up with a few huge bags. Seemingly cos it was Amatuer the RFU would't pay you but would always clean your gear etc. Leonard had showed up with bags full of his curtains from his house to get the RFU to clean them :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If hes big into Munster I definitely think you should get him the Leinster Heineken Cup DVD currently in the shops :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Brian Moores autobiography Beware of the Dog is a superb book well written and gives an insight into what drives a world class player to the heights he hit. Not your usual rugby book of anecdotes and funny stories

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

thanks everyone for the suggestions! think its between the munster v all blacks one and the confessions of a rugby mercenary one thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I really enjoyed ' Winter Colours' by Donald McRae. Not one for the casual rugby fan though.

I think I always side for Sexton in the out half debate because I read O'Gara's book. Eclipsed only by Jackman...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I really enjoyed ' Winter Colours' by Donald McRae. Not one for the casual rugby fan though.

I think I always side for Sexton in the out half debate because I read O'Gara's book. Eclipsed only by Jackman...

Have you ever read 'In BOD we trust' - possibly the worst book (not just sporting) that I have ever read. Factual errors and sycophantic rubbish abounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Boycey2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Winter Colours is one of my favourite books fullstop. Really well written and a great look at the game and what it tries to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

JonnyF wrote: »
    Winter Colours is one of my favourite books fullstop. Really well written and a great look at the game and what it tries to represent.

Winter Colours
    Diary of a rugby mercenary
    From There to Here - Irish Rugby in Pro Era - Brendan Fanning

i've read a fair few sports/rugby books and the 3 above are by far the best I've read

some of the autobiogrophies are dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

O'Gara's book is one of the worst sports books I've ever read. Murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Clearlier wrote: »
    Have you ever read 'In BOD we trust' - possibly the worst book (not just sporting) that I have ever read. Factual errors and sycophantic rubbish abounded.

In fairness, that was a biography piggy backing on BOD's popularity. He wasn't involved in it.

I've recently finished Matt Hampson's book. Gut wrenchingly sad whilst also inspiring. No punches pulled and not a sob story for himself. Kimmage did a very good job.

Moss Keane's book was a very good read too. ROG's book was good; a typically honest account of himself so much so that he doesn't necessarily always paint himself in a good light at times. Trevor Brennan's book is another decent read but it does get lost a bit in the working class hero guff and that it was him against the world. Martin Johnson's book, avoid. Dull as dishwater. Dallaglio's is somewhat better, not great. Jackman's book can be condensed into about 50 pages, the rest is just filler but those 50 pages are very interesting.

Webbs wrote: »
    Brian Moores autobiography Beware of the Dog is a superb book well written and gives an insight into what drives a world class player to the heights he hit. Not your usual rugby book of anecdotes and funny stories

Will definitely have to get that. I'm a massive fan of Moore. He's a bit of a focal point for many people to vent their spleen but you have to have the utmost respect for the man and just how far he has come in his life within the game and personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

GerM wrote: »
    In fairness, that was a biography piggy backing on BOD's popularity. He wasn't involved in it.

I've recently finished Matt Hampson's book. Gut wrenchingly sad whilst also inspiring. No punches pulled and not a sob story for himself. Kimmage did a very good job.

Moss Keane's book was a very good read too. ROG's book was good; a typically honest account of himself so much so that he doesn't necessarily always paint himself in a good light at times. Trevor Brennan's book is another decent read but it does get lost a bit in the working class hero guff and that it was him against the world. Martin Johnson's book, avoid. Dull as dishwater. Dallaglio's is somewhat better, not great. Jackman's book can be condensed into about 50 pages, the rest is just filler but those 50 pages are very interesting.

Apologies if I gave the impression that BOD was involved. I wouldn't expect him to be involved in such rubbish in a million years. Incidentally if/when he does do his own definitive book (he did a diary of a year a few years ago I think) I'm not sure it'll be that interesting to read.

Just remembered that I have Axel's book, there's a reason that I forgot about it though..., might be ok for a Munster fan bit like I enjoyed Jackman's book but can see why non-Leinster fans wouldn't be interested. Ditto Paddy John's although that might be tough going even for the Ulster fans.

If we move beyond Irish books then Nigel Owens book is worth a read. Will Greenwood's is total rubbish, very disappointing from a man who comes across as quite thoughtful. Phil Vickery's book is almost as bad as 'In BOD we trust'. Woodward does give insight into his mindset if you can get past the ego. I really enjoyed George Gregan's book 'Half Back, half forward'. I knew almost nothing about him before I read it so found it pretty interesting

Clearlier wrote: »
    Just remembered that I have Axel's book, there's a reason that I forgot about it though..., might be ok for a Munster fan bit like I enjoyed Jackman's book but can see why non-Leinster fans wouldn't be interested. Ditto Paddy John's although that might be tough going even for the Ulster fans.

Foley's is very chip on the shoulder stuff. You can see why he was at the centre of the great Munster side that won the first HEC. It's very much the view that the world is against Munster and that nobody is going to help them but themselves. Not a great book but not the worst one I've read.

Jake White's book is a very good read too now that I remember it. It's astounding to read some of the politics he had to deal with in his time in charge of S.A. The best story I recall was the announcement of the training squad for the 2007 WC when he put together a panel of 35 names for the squad. One of the top brass in the SARU read the squad out at the press conference and called out the 35 before quickly adding in Luke Watson in addition to White's squad. White just sat there listening in shock; he had never put Watson in the squad and had no idea that this was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

GerM wrote: »

+1 for Engage by Paul Kimmage (the storty of Matt Hampson). Very moving, and a great insight in to life at Leicester, the politics that exist within the RFU etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

'100 Irish Rugby Greats' by John Scally is a good book that you can dip in and out of. Each player gets between 2/3 pages with a funny/interesting story...

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

How about This Sporting Life its a book as well as a movie with Richard Harris. Its about rugby and he was nominated for an Oscar. Great movie.

Advertisement