Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best Rugby Autobiography?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭

Any opinions? I always enjoy a good rugby book, Chtistian Cullen's was enjoyable Trevor Brennan's was excellent, O'Gara's is pretty good too although written a tad early, woulda been better if he wrote it after he retires, i'm sure he'd have no problem hanging a few of his ex-coaches and team-mates if it meant a few more book sales and more money in the bank. I'd love to get some recommendations as to what might be of interest, hopefully hard bastards, who lived hard and played hard with colourful/checkered careers.

Recommend!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

I thought O Garas was badly written personally. Clive Woodwards is a fantastic read. Dallaglios was grand, thought O Driscoll's was ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

i liked rog's personally, its certainly worth the read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Any opinions? I always enjoy a good rugby book, Chtistian Cullen's was enjoyable Trevor Brennan's was excellent, O'Gara's is pretty good too although written a tad early, woulda been better if he wrote it after he retires, i'm sure he'd have no problem hanging a few of his ex-coaches and team-mates if it meant a few more book sales and more money in the bank. I'd love to get some recommendations as to what might be of interest, hopefully hard bastards, who lived hard and played hard with colourful/checkered careers.

Recommend!

I'd imagine Martin Johnsons would be interesting to read, don't know if he has one though! Keitth Wood?

O'Driscoll has at least a couple of books out, doesn't he? I'd imagine RO'G will do a follow up on retirement, don't worry...

Autobiographies are almost an annual update at this stage in the sporting world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Martin Johnsons is pretty good nothing mind blowing but good nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

wixfjord wrote: »
    I thought O Garas was badly written personally. Clive Woodwards is a fantastic read. Dallaglios was grand, thought O Driscoll's was ok too.

I thought O'Gara's was a bit hit and miss but the content of the book is remarkable, i had for gotten a lot of the **** he went through, way more than his fair share of ups and downs in his career than the average rugby player.
    I've read Dallaglios but like O'Gara's, it was written while he was still playing, so he didn't give an honest account for fear of upsetting people (coaches) and not getting picked for games.
    Clive's might be interesting. I'm not reading O'Driscoll unless he re-writes his bio with a few more chapters AFTER he retires!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"My year in the centre"

Yes, Brian. I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Junior

Moss Keane's one or Axel's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

I thought O'Gara's was a bit hit and miss but the content of the book is remarkable, i had for gotten a lot of the **** he went through, way more than his fair share of ups and downs in his career than the average rugby player.
    I've read Dallaglios but like O'Gara's, it was written while he was still playing, so he didn't give an honest account for fear of upsetting people (coaches) and not getting picked for games.
    Clive's might be interesting. I'm not reading O'Driscoll unless he re-writes his bio with a few more chapters AFTER he retires!
    I enjoyed ROG's book. Read it in the 4hrs it takes to fly to Lanzarote.

I was looking for something international, preferably someone i know nothing about other than he played rugby. A player who spanned from the amateur days to the professional era. I've read Axel, Peter Clohessy's would be fantastic if he penned something.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Trevor Brennans autobiography, is easily the best rugby bio I've read...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Moss Keanes FTW

Trevor Brennans (or at least the edition i had) read like it had been proofread by a drunk 2 year old monkey with ADD
    Which was a pity because it was a good read otherwise

Agreed. Such a likeable bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

Agree, great read, best book i have ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

Great book, i would recommend definetely to older readers51Gkmc3U4jL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

I tend to find sports biographies boring. (am reading ex-England cricketer Marcus Trescothick's book at the mo). Like a one-sided conversation.

There is a hidden gem I found in the bookstores following the Lions tour to NZ. Written by an unknown (to me) author from Cork I think, in journal form.
    Really interesting, funny and would be a good read especially for anyone who was there for the tour.
    Its called 'The Last Great Tour?' and is written by Paul Daly.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Agree, great read, best book i have ever read

My jaysus you should join a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Justind wrote: »
    I tend to find sports biographies boring. (am reading ex-England cricketer Marcus Trescothick's book at the mo). Like a one-sided conversation.

There is a hidden gem I found in the bookstores following the Lions tour to NZ. Written by an unknown (to me) author from Cork I think, in journal form.
    Really interesting, funny and would be a good read especially for anyone who was there for the tour.
    Its called 'The Last Great Tour?' and is written by Paul Daly.

Tried to read it, but put it down after 100 pages or so, thought it was terrible.

Martin Johnson's was good not spectacular by any means but interesting. Axel's was very good and I read Gaiilimh's a few years back but cant remember much from it really.

Gonna give Trevor Brennans a go seeing as the reviews here are positive, I don't read the ones by players still in their playing days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

My first choice would definitely be Austin Healy's book with Trevor Brennan a close second. Stay clear of Kyran Bracken's and Richard Hill's - bland muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Must get my hands on Healys im sure it would hysterical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

'Time Added On' by George Hook, while not strictly a rugby autobiography, is a good read and gives a good warts and all insight into the man and his former buddy Eddie O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I enjoyed Neil Backs Autobiography - Size Doesn't Matter. Another good read is Paddy O'Briens Autobiography - Whistle While You Work - if you like to hear the referees side.

Bit off topic but I hear Tony Cascarino's autobiography is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Clive Woodward's autobiography is a good read if you can stomach the self-gratification.

Was always interested in reading Neil Back's 'Size Doesn't Matter' as a fellow ex shortarse flanker.

Jason Robinson's book looks interesting too

Was always interested in reading Neil Back's 'Size Doesn't Matter' as a fellow ex shortarse flanker.

Does the twat talk abotu cheating in the HC final 2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've read a few, but the one I liked the most was Austin Healys(Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story) and John Daneil (onfessions of a Rugby Mercenary)

Trevor Brennans was a major letdown.

Simon Shaws upcoming one looks interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jayteecork wrote: »

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

jayteecork wrote: »
    Cheating / Gamesmanship is actually part and parcel of Rugby. You trying to tell me every turnover is legal? Ever prop's bind within the law book? Every time a player doesn't release the ball, he wasn't hoping he'd get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

trevor brennans stands out for me and is a very good read
    axels is gand but i expected something better

clive woodwards is very good and gives you a great understanding of his
    approach to coaching but i hate the title of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭curts82

In Bod we trust stay well clear!!! He hypes himself way to much!!
    Reading Jason Robinsons book at mo very good read!!
    Johah Lumo's is pretty good also!!Feel sorry for the man.
    O gara's was ok. Axels was good. Cullens book isn't great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

zAbbo wrote: »
    Simon Shaws upcoming one looks interesting
    Good call. He strikes me as an interesting character with a good story to tell.

Advertisement