Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #25 - Lord Lucan

Options
  • 16-10-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Lord Lucan.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?
    Which do you prefer, Metallica or Megadeth? :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    Got into Rock & Metal in i think 2nd year(secondary) at school. I've no problem in admitting that up to that point my music taste was all pop. I listened to the pirate stations,Sunshine 101 in particular, and everything i heard was chart stuff. All my mates were into the same stuff too so i'd no idea about rock music.

To Live Is To Die was the first Metal tune i heard quickly followed by Welcome to the Jungle. After getting hold of both AJFA and AFD i turned to the dark side and my pop past was left behind.:)

As to what keeps me interested,just the music. Whilst i may not be into new bands,my tastes being mainly older established acts,i still get excited by new releases from my favourites. And the biggest thing imo is live gigs. I love seeing my favourite bands rock out live on stage,it's where rock is meant to be heard imo. Songs take on a new dynamic in the live arena.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

IIRC i found Boards through a Google search looking for replacement Motorcycle saddle covers. I signed up and posted sporadically at first. Stumbled across R&M by accident(probably Metallica related:p) and have been here ever since.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

R&M is great. There's a good bit of banter and peoples opinions are respected. Band threads aren't full of juvenile "xxxxxx are crap" type posts.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I have some weird and varied interests. Everything from Trains to Planes,Space Shuttles to Football. Love nothing more than having a few beers and watching the football,and being a Gooner i need more beer than normal this season.:pac:
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

I'll have to go with Appetite for Destruction. That album blew me away when i first heard it and really got me into rock music in a big way. It still sounds as fresh as when i first heard it too.

It had everything imo,great rhythm section,savage vocals and brilliant lead guitar. The opening bars of WTTJ still send a shiver down my spine.
    Where did your username come from?

I'm not sure. I think i was trying to be clever seeing as i live in Lucan and thought it sounded cool.:o
    Which do you prefer, Metallica or Megadeth? :p

Tough one,but i'll go with Metallica by a whisker. Seriously,i obviously love Metallica but i'm a big fan of Megadeth too. Their only downfall is i find Mustaines vocals a bit grating if i listen to a lot of their stuff so i find small doses does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What is your one most memorable gig and why?

If you HAD to sleep with one member of Metallica which one would it be?

What's your favourite concert venue that you've been to?

Who, in your opinion, is the biggest gobshite in metal?

What's your favourite type of cheese?

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?

I'm struggling to remember anything great from 2010,Slash's solo album the only one that springs to mind. So i'm going to go with a current album,Anthrax - Worship Music.

I've played the bejaysus out of it over the last few weeks and its the best new metal album i've heard in years. I honestly can't say how much i love this album,it's definitely been worth the wait.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I don't really hate many bands,each to their own and all that. The only band i really dislike is Tool. Never understood the fascination with them. Had the misfortune to be at Ozzfest at Punchestown in 2002 when they got bumped to headliners following Ozzy's withdrawl. Grabbed a beer and figured i'd give them a go but i was bored rigid after 10 minutes so i took my beer to the car park and waited for the bus where i couldn't hear them. Admittedly it was crap having them on after rocking out to SOAD and Slayer.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I frequent many areas of boards. Off the top of my head these would be the most popular:

Aviation & Aircraft
    Train & Rail Systems
    Astronomy and Space
    Motorsport
    Smoking:pac:
    Dublin County West
    All Things Retro

And there's others i randomly post in too.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

No preference for Rock or Metal,i love them both. I have plenty of classic rock on my ipod as well as a healthy dose of metal. Tbh i only refer to genres as rock or metal. I don't get into all the sub-genres of metal that are out there,it's just metal imo.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Going for scoops;

James Hetfield
    Dave Mustaine
    Scott Ian
    Rob Flynn
    Dave Lombardo

I think i was at my dream gig in July,the big 4 at Knebworth. The only thing that could have made it better was switch Diamond Head for Venom.

Fantasy land,throw GN'R(AFD line-up) and FNM onto that bill and i'd have died a happy man.
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Easy,Metallica.:)
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Haven't had too many stinkers. The most obvious one that springs to mind is St. Anger. God knows i tried to get into it but i couldn't. I really believe that was an album commisioned by the US Dept. of Defence for use in torture at Guantanamo Bay.

• Advertisement

What is your one most memorable gig and why?

That's a tough one,seen many brilliant gigs in different venues. But the one that sticks in my mind is Metallica at Rock in Rio in Madrid in 2010. The setlist was the stock festival one but the gig was memorable because i'd gotten to meet Metallica earlier.

Having met the band,and not having had a drink all day,i went to get a beer and ham & cheese baguette. I sat on the concrete base of a zip line ride with my beer and to my left,the sun was setting,just like this:

P6140230.JPG

After taking that picture,i heard the immortal words,"We are Motorhead and we play Rock & Roll". On came Motorhead and rocked the fcuk outta the place. I had the biggest,stupidist grin on my face,what a day!

Later,i positioned myself for Metallica's set. Normally i get a massive adrenalin rush when they hit the stage but this time i had a tear in my eye. I'd only been chatting with these guys a few hours earlier and they were as cool as fcuk. Now i was seeing them in their normal guise and there was something very moving about seeing them on stage. That day will live long in the memory.
    If you HAD to sleep with one member of Metallica which one would it be?

Rob. Imagine him doing all that Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon stuff in the bedroom,the big ride!:D
    What's your favourite concert venue that you've been to?

For facilities,layout etc it has to be the O2 in London. Brilliant venue,loads of bars and restaurants at the venue,easy to get a few beers during a show.

For pure iconic status,MSG in New York.
    Who, in your opinion, is the biggest gob****e in metal?

A few years ago i'd probably have said Mustaine but he seems to have calmed down a bit recently. I'm going with Axl Rose currently.
    What's your favourite type of cheese?

White Cheddar. I've simple tastes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

do you play an instrument at all?

v-twin triple or four?

Did you buy tight black jeans from a certain shop in stephens green centre many moons ago?:p

Were you a bruxelles regular in the early nineties?

do you play an instrument at all?

Nope. Savage air guitarist though!:D
    v-twin triple or four?

V twin
    Did you buy tight black jeans from a certain shop in stephens green centre many moons ago?

I certainly did. I used to wear the metal uniform back in the day. Tight black jeans that dyed your legs black after a sweaty gig,runner boots,band t-shirt and leather biker jacket with sleevless denim jacket over it complete with band patches. Only thing missing was the long hair.

There were 2 stores that i'd frequent. Asha in stephens green centre for jeans,and FM on Westmoreland street for band patches/posters and baseball caps. Great days.:)
    Were you a bruxelles regular in the early nineties?

I sure was. Great spot for a rocking night out and particularly the day of a gig. Used to go to Fibbers the odd saturday night for a good mosh too. God knows how many holes i made in their walls over the years!:pac:

These days i'm more inclined to go to Fibbers Rock Bar,Bruxelles has gone mad expensive and they keep changing the place around. Fibbers reminds me of what Bruxelles used to be like,minus the stairs.

So your username is nothing to do with this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

certainly looks like him malice, if you squint, from afar:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Any albums by well known bands that you feel are underrated?

Do you listen to any music outside of rock/metal?

Malice wrote: »
    So your username is nothing to do with this guy?

That's exactly were it came from. Growing up in the 80's the media had a fascination with missing/dead/dead but really alive public figures such as Lord Lucan,Elvis and Shergar. The name always stuck in my head and came to me when i signed up to Boards.

There's a whole generation of kids to which my username means nothing. That or they think i'm posh!:)

certainly looks like him malice, if you squint, from afar:P

I did have a ronnie once! Last time my hair looked like his was when i was 12.:pac:

Any albums by well known bands that you feel are underrated?

Good question. There's nothing that jumps out at me. I usually find i'm in agreement with most posters here on the hits and flops from artists. One artist i do find that's underrated is Henry Rollins. The Rollins Band have produced some great stuff,The End of Silence and Weight, in particular being a fantastic album. Sadly they never really got the recognition they deserved despite MTV giving the video to Liar huge airtime in 1994.
    Do you listen to any music outside of rock/metal?

Not really. Everything i listen to is Rock & Metal. The only thing i will admit to as a guilty pleasure,so to speak,is on a night out if an 80's set(pop) comes on i'l usually be found given it socks. Whilst i'd never sit down and listen to 80's pop at home i do have a fondness for it with a few beers on me. Mainly for nostalgia reasons as it brings me back to my childhood.:o

I suppose you could classify the Beastie Boys as non-rock depending on what side of the fence you're on. I've been a big fan for years and enjoy the rap/rock crossover that they made their own.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

Some upcoming band called Metallica.:p

P6140160.JPG

P6140161.JPG

P6140192.JPG

P6140211.JPG
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

Axl Rose. Always been a huge GN'R fan but i've grown increasingly tired of him. He still thinks it's 1991 and his name is on everyones lips and everyone cares what he does. He's managed to alienate a lot of loyal GN'R fans who held on for years to see what the next step was. Whilst his character is intriguing it's grown tiresome to see him waltz around like he's relevant these days.
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

I don't know tbh. I haven't kept abreast of female bands in a long time. L7 and Phantom Blue were the only female bands i ever got into. So with that i'm going for Donita Sparks. Still looking hot.:)

DonitaSparks.jpg
    Do you dress like a metalhead?

I suppose i do. I'm usually in a band/tour t-shirt and jeans when i'm not in work. The days of skinny black jeans and runner boots are well gone but the old biker jacket still makes the odd special guest appearance at gigs(in winter).
    What was the last album that you bought?

Machine Head - Unto The Locust.
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?

As a master air guitarist i'd go with Slash,James Hetfield and Scott Ian.
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

12master_of_puppets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i think i recognise you from my fibbers days.

do you, like myself find its more of an effort to listen to new bands, and rely a lot on the old reliables?

i think i recognise you from my fibbers days.

do you, like myself find its more of an effort to listen to new bands, and rely a lot on the old reliables?

I pretty much only listen the old reliables. I've a mate who constantly bombards me with links to new bands and i usually give them a listen but nothing ever grabs me. The last new band i got into in a big way,aside from bands formed of ex-members of previously big bands or supergroups,like Velvet Revolver for example,was Machine Head in the late 90's. I've given some of them a go,like Trivium,even going to see them at the Ambassador,but i was still left unmoved by them.

I only get excited these days by new music from old bands. I'm happy and don't feel like i'm missing out on anything new.:)

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Have you played the Grand Theft Auto video games? If you have; what's your favourite track(s) from the series?

Otherwise; favourite soundtrack from films?

• Advertisement

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

Not a fan of Grindcore/Metalcore,and any ......core genre.
    What was your favourite gig this year?

Been a poor year on the gig front,feck all going on. Favourite show was the big 4 at Knebworth. Seeing 4 of my favourite bands on one stage was amazing. Throw in the fact it was so well run with loads of facilities and it wins hands down.
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

Absolutely nothing coming up(yet!).:(
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

Not really. Most of my knowledge of the Irish scene is through R&M on Boards. Hasn't been an Irish band since Kerbdog that's grabbed my attention.
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?

Erm................ Metallica.:)
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

Gigs are my favourite. I love the camaraderie,almost sense of a bunch of outcasts coming together at a gig. Something that struck me when i've seen Metallica abroad is the shared feeling. I remember standing in a field outside Madrid when Metallica hit the stage. 99% of the people around me couldn't speak a word of english but yet they all sung in unison at the same parts,roared the refrains(Die,Die Die etc.). It struck me that despite the language barrier we all felt the same thing.

Least favourite,the elitism that often goes on amongst some metal fans. Each to their own i say. There's plenty of bands i don't like or don't get but who am i to say they're ****e and rubbish someone else's opinion let alone become a keyboard warrior berating people for having the temerity to like some band or other.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Just gonna repeat one i mentioned earlier in the thread,Tool. Not my thing and i don't get it. Their legions of fans says that there's plenty who appreciate what they do though.

Nailz wrote: »
    Have you played the Grand Theft Auto video games? If you have; what's your favourite track(s) from the series?

Otherwise; favourite soundtrack from films?

Not much of a gamer tbh so GTA goes over my head.

Favourite soundtrack is from the film Judgement Night. Featuring collaborations from Helmet & House of Pain,FNM & Boo Ya Tribe,Slayer & Ice-T amongst others,it's class.:)

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Lord Lucan for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement