Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy council plan for clontarf.

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭

I am really beginning to believe that only morons are working in councils and government in this country. Anyways the story here is that the council plan to build an 8 foot mound of muck all along the clontarf promenade. This will mean that the views from there will now be blocked of by the mound. I mean what sort of idiot thinks of this along one of the most used parts of the city. Its nuts.

clontarf residents object to insane flood defence plans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There have been four major floods in recent years in the area and some insurance companies have threatened to withdraw flood cover for about 3,000 homes and businesses if permanent defence plans are not put in place.

I agree it's unsightly

But something has to be done, what other ways can be done to stop flooding?
    Genuinely asking, I don't know about flood defenses

Huge capacity drainage along the promenade maybe?

Possibly the council are going for the easiest and cheapest option

I'm still waiting for the Sutton to Sandymount cycle lane they've been talking about for over five years now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Add two feet to the existing sea wall (it's very low, full of holes and designed with railings integrated...not ideal for keeping the water out, really :P ), or rebuild and strengthen it to that height if needs be. If that's then too high above the promenade, use earthworks to raise the level of the promenade a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

mikemac wrote: »
    I agree it's unsightly

But something has to be done, what other ways can be done to stop flooding?
    Genuinely asking, I don't know about flood defenses

Huge capacity drainage along the promenade maybe?

Possibly the council are going for the easiest and cheapest option

I'm still waiting for the Sutton to Sandymount cycle lane they've been talking about for over five years now

i'm a resident along this stretch and agree something has to be done but to construct 9 foot high walls permantly blocking the sea view for a 3km stretch is not the answer,
    Clontarf's seafront is a local amenity used every days by walkers, joggers, cyclists etc and it cannot be treated like this and just blocked from view forever.

it really has to be the most idiotic plan i've ever heard and just smacks of narrow minded, short sighted & idiotic planning.

Flooding is a threat all over the world, i'm sure the answer elsewhere is not to build 9 foot walls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The powers that be are quite happy to let the lagoon on the dollymount side silt up completley because they never thought to allow the sea to flow under the causeway.

Since i was a kid i'd estimate Bull Island has grown by over 200 metres while the water gets shallower year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"We'll lose our lovely view" is a pretty flimsy objection tbh :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Mebbe if they build 9 foot high glass walls :)

Bambi wrote: »

why?

would you rather live across the road from the sea with views over dublin bay or across the road from a 9 foot wall when there have to be other options considered as are done in other areas throughout the world.

I'd rather not have a lovely view of the sea while sitting in the living room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

bamboozle wrote: »
    why?

would you rather live across the road from the sea with views over dublin bay or across the road from a 9 foot wall when there have to be other options considered as are done in other areas throughout the world.

Well this place is only about 2 metres above sea level. It floods regularly. If the people refuse this wall will they refuse aid from the council when it floods again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This wall or mound or whatever is going to be eight foot high.
    Can anyone tell me what the top of the mound will be eight feet above?
    Will it be the footpath on the promenade or high tide or something else?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

That view also equals a decent chunk of a house price. Many people will buy a house along Clontarf road because they'll have a view over the bay. Taking into account there's 300 hundred houses along the road, it adds up to a couple of million in falling prices. Not to mention as said it's a popular amenity used by cyclists, walkers, sports teams / athletic clubs etc. Stick a 9 foot mound in the middle of it and it ruins it for a lot of people.

In the 10+ years I've been living in Clontarf I've only seen 2 bad spots of flooding both well controlled by sand bags. I've never seen flooding conditions that would require a 9 foot wall.

oh I'm sure property values are the real issue here but there'll be a lot of coyness from the good people of clontarf on that front, joe dufy won't mention it either I bet :D

oh I'm sure property values are the real issue here but there'll be a lot of coyness from the good people of clontarf on that front, joe dufy won't mention it either I bet :D

If you don't live there why does it bother you? It's not the real issue but it's one issue, would you be happy if I told you an unnecessary project that would knock 20-30k off the price of your house was going to happen would you be happy? No you clearly wouldn't. Or perhaps a nice view across from your house that also happens to be a useful amenity to many people daily will be ruined, would you be happy? No you wouldn't.

What are the great benefits of this project since you seem entirely against the opponents of it?

There was plenty of plugging going on with Joe Duffy

Hi Joe, I run x business, I'm a concerned resident, did I mention I run x business ;)

Sly. But Joe Duffy seems to have a thing with Clontarf, dedicating whole shows when there was an issue with a headshop in Clontarf. Does he live there?

Joe Duffy has forgotten he works for RTÉ national radio, seems to think he works for Dublin local radio

Anyway, we'll see how this goes

There was plenty of plugging going on with Joe Duffy

Hi Joe, I run x business, I'm a concerned resident, did I mention I run x business ;)

Sly. But Joe Duffy seems to have a thing with Clontarf, dedicating whole shows when there was an issue with a headshop in Clontarf. Does he live there?

Joe Duffy has forgotten he works for RTÉ national radio, seems to think he works for Dublin local radio

Anyway, we'll see how this goes

he also happens to be a resident of Clontarf and anything he can do to expose the idiocicy of this plan will be greatly accepted by the residents of Clontarf and indeed those of the general area who pass through, stop off for walks cycles etc

Red Joe is a clontarfer alright.
    If you don't live there why does it bother you? It's not the real issue but it's one issue, would you be happy if I told you an unnecessary project that would knock 20-30k off the price of your house was going to happen would you be happy? No you clearly wouldn't. Or perhaps a nice view across from your house that also happens to be a useful amenity to many people daily will be ruined, would you be happy? No you wouldn't.

a) There are many places in dublin that have the corporation meddling with them for the benefit of the city, I live in one.

b) That's the price people pay for living next door to the sea.

c) If it is going to stop flooding then it's not unneccesary

Of course if the good residents of the area have alternative plans for flood prevention than these should be looked at. Presumably any difference in cost will be met by these good residents

Well this place is only about 2 metres above sea level. It floods regularly. If the people refuse this wall will they refuse aid from the council when it floods again?

must point out your facts are wrong, I live on this road and am born and raised in Clontarf, i've never seen any houses affected by flooding, i've seen a few occasions (2) where sand bags were required as a preventative measure.

Red Joe is a clontarfer alright.

a) There are many places in dublin that have the corporation meddling with them for the benefit of the city, I live in one.

b) That's the price people pay for living next door to the sea.

c) If it is going to stop flooding then it's not unneccesary

Of course if the good residents of the area have alternative plans for flood prevention than these should be looked at. Presumably any difference in cost will be met by these good residents

there's a bit of a difference between meddling and needlessly destroying an amenity. I'm sorry you seem to have an issue with 'the good residents' of Clontarf, thankfully the residents of Clontarf are far more aware of the impact of floods on the area and the requirements to counter it. Perhaps you could concentrate your energies on the manner in which the corporation is meddling in your area rather than making cynical remarks about an issue that clearly bears little relevence to you and would have a major impact on the residents of another area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How do people want to prevent their houses from flooding?

Whats more important your house or a view?

Perhaps you could concentrate your energies on the manner in which the corporation is meddling in your area rather than making cynical remarks about an issue that clearly bears little relevence to you and would have a major impact on the residents of another area?

This is the dublin forum, not the clontarf forum. :)

What amenity are they destroying? It sounds outrageous now :confused:

• Advertisement

This is the dublin forum, not the clontarf forum. :)

What amenity are they destroying? It sounds outrageous now :confused:

this is a thread on Clontarf :confused::confused::confused: within the Dublin forum.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you on an issue that is clearly of zero relevence to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

must point out your facts are wrong, I live on this road and am born and raised in Clontarf, i've never seen any houses affected by flooding, i've seen a few occasions (2) where sand bags were required as a preventative measure.

The problem is though that the insurance companies are starting to say that they won't insure as it is a flood risk.

The same happened in Irishtown and the State had pay out there when it flooded. The council have since built a larger flood wall that looks quite nice.

How do people want to prevent their houses from flooding?

Whats more important your house or a view?

Generally, it is the view.

Until the house actually gets flooded or gets close to being flooded, then nobody cares about the view.

RMD wrote: »
    If you don't live there why does it bother you? It's not the real issue but it's one issue, would you be happy if I told you an unnecessary project that would knock 20-30k off the price of your house was going to happen would you be happy??

Well then sell now before they build the bloody wall.

Flood-Protection-Systems-including-Glass-Wall-105795_image.jpg

Any objections to one of these? Looks nicer then an earth bank

Any little scrote caught smashing glass should be tossed into the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Surely if they do build such a mount they'll stick the cycle / walking track on top of it?

I'm not from Clontarf, but used to get to bus down the coast regularly, and it wasn't that uncommon a sight to see the houses in Clontarf with sandbags outside their driveways a few times every Winter, was that just precautionary? (Generally asking, not sniping at anyone here).

Though I will say they'd be better off forgetting about that wall all together and re-surfacing that road, it's in bloody bits!

Flood-Protection-Systems-including-Glass-Wall-105795_image.jpg

Any objections to one of these? Looks nicer then an earth bank

Any little scrote caught smashing glass should be tossed into the sea

I like this idea
    venice-beach-graffiti-wall.jpg

And it'll give local graffiti artists a place to indulge thier work..everybody's a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Why not use something like this, its removable and they can install it easily when they are made aware of a flood risk

Degsy wrote: »
    I like this idea
    venice-beach-graffiti-wall.jpg

And it'll give local graffiti artists a place to indulge thier work..everybody's a winner.

Just stick a few halting sites on the promenade, the wall will go up fairly sharpish then:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Why not use something like this, its removable and they can install it easily when they are made aware of a flood risk

Seems a bit too forward thinking for DCC to be honest :rolleyes:

Although this was invisaged a few years ago. A dyke built from Sutton to Sandycove preventing flooding from storm surges, which will definately become more common with rising sea levels. See page 18 of this report.
    http://www.euro-case.org/publications/transport/TransportIreland.pdf

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »

I extremely doubt it will hold off large sea swells, it could function along a river where it will confine the flow to the nearby river area but against head-on large sea swells I don't see it coping. The current system of sand bags works fine, it has always worked fine and I've never seen a flood that required a 9 foot dyke to prevent it.

Advertisement