Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #24 - Dr.Poca

Options
  • 15-09-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Dr.Poca.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's the best & worst gigs you've ever attended?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

What songs still make the hair on your neck stand up when you listen to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Ok be prepared for some lengthy answers for some of these.
    Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

Well my Dad is a big Beatles fan and I would have heard a lot of their stuff when I was younger. I liked some of it and would have enjoyed listening to it. He also had the Early Days best of Led Zeppelin and when I was a little older I listened to that a bit. But at that time I wasn't hugely into music. Just liked some of the songs.
    When I was in my early teens I was into skateboarding and the Tony Hawk's games had some rock/metal music I liked. Where my interest really started was hearing System of a Down's "Shimmy" on one of those games. I really, really liked it and later found out that my friend had one of their albums. They were the first band I loved and definitely who got me into music, specifically metal. After liking them for a good while I got Master of Puppets from the same friend and it blew me away completely. It's too long to write about, but it changed my whole view on music completely. And the rest is history! I now listen to a huge range of rock and metal. From Pink Floyd to Gojira

What keeps me interested is the variety of sounds in the genre and how passionate the musicians are. That's what really grabs me. Is that with a lot of bands you can really feel something when you're listening to them. A lot of other music just doesn't capture those feelings for me.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

A friend of mine was a member (Pyr0) and he was telling me about it shortly after we gained the wonderful world of broadband in my house back in 2004. I checked it out and have been coming back ever since.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

It's a great way to keep up with news relating to albums and tours. It's also a good way to come across new bands. Not to mention the nice friendly community
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

Currently I'm a student in DCU studying Genetics & Cell Biology. I also play guitar in a band (who really needs to finish recording some material). Other than that I like computer games, reading and various other wholesome activities.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

This is an incredibly tough question. There's a number of different albums I could pick for different reasons. As said, Master of Puppets opened my eyes to the depth of talent and atmosphere that metal held. It probably gave me my real appreciation for music.
    On the other hand, Dream Theater's Awake is an album I consider flawless. I mean it is phenomenal. The most atmospheric, powerful album I know.

But, without MoP, I would never have discovered the incredible bands I listento now. So I'm gonna go with that, even though I don't listen to it/them much anymore, it had the greatest impact on my taste overall.
    Where did your username come from?

I was playing Final Fantasy VIII in a friends house and couldn't pick a name. So I just made up something weird and I just stuck with it. I'd probably change it if I had something good to change it with, but I use it for nearly everything
    lord lucan wrote: »
    What's the best & worst gigs you've ever attended?

Good question. Best is a toss up between Porcupine Tree and Rush. I prefer Porcupine Tree in general, and the gig last October was incredible. Nice small venue, great setlist, and I completely feel and relate to Steve Wilson's style and intensity. He's a God (as is Gavin Harrison)
    But at the same time Rush was amazing. Great set, fantastic sound and exactly what I hoped seeing a legendary band like Rush would be, the perfect show. But I'd probably go with PT, just because their music speaks to me more.
    (Honorable mentions to Roger Water's who wins best show in terms of grandeur and display, for the Wall)

Worst gig... Can't think of one! I've enjoyed every gig I've gone too. I love live music, even stuff I'm not normally into
    Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?

Tough one. I find it hard to think of albums that I got recently, mainly cause I've been going backwards with music and listening to a lot of older stuff. For rock I'll go with Age of the Fifth Sun by God is an Astronaut. For metal I'll go with Surtur Rising by Amon Amarth.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

It's hard to think of one when I'm one the spot like this :P I'll try get back to this one.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Games,Playstation, Cool Vids, lurk a bit in tGC
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I'm gonna say that I prefer metal. Although it is extremely close and I kinda love both equally. But if I had to pick one more of the bands I regularly listen to would fit into metal.
    I don't really have a favourite subgenre. It's too hard to box in a band to one sound. Although my most hated is thrash.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

Mikael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Ozzy Osbourne, Joe Duplantier and Maynard James Keenan (Even though he might be a c*nt)
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming bands that aren't around anymore etc: In no particular order. Camel, Dream Theater (circa 93), Porcupine Tree, Tool, Old school Led Zeppelin and sure Pink Floyd as well
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Not a thrash fan. Have a couple of Slayer albums but really my choice is Metallica even though they're not really thrash (although I love Kill em All)
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Another tough one as I'm not really up to speed with recent albums. But maybe Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth from 2008. I was expecting a hell of a lot after the incredible With Oden on our Side (One of my favourite albums) and was quite disappointed. It's only good. Boring drumming is the biggest let down

Wow, that took a while. Really had to think about some of them. Hope it wasn't too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Do you play any instruments?

If so, what music do you like to play along to when practising/jamming?

If you play no instrument, then what would you like to be able to play and why?

Alos who are your favourite musicians that use the same instrument?

What songs still make the hair on your neck stand up when you listen to them?

Ah there's loads. A lot of the time it would depend on my mood. But I'll answer with something I haven't mentioned yet as I don't want to be just mentioning the same bands over and over.
    Getting into Buckethead lately, mainly because of this song, which definitely gave me goosebumps by the end of it

EDIT After watching some of the Pink Floyd night on BBC4, how could I have forgotten this. Never, ever gets old.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Do you play any instruments?

If so, what music do you like to play along to when practising/jamming?

I play guitar. I don't actually do much practicing or playing along with songs. I really just love to write music. I literally spend no time learning or playing along with other songs unless the band insists on doing a cover. But I do enjoy coming up with solo ideas over songs. My playing style when it comes to solos tends to more mellow/Pink Floydish, so I like to play along with anything with a nice calm backing.
    If you play no instrument, then what would you like to be able to play and why?

I'd absolutely love to have room for a drum kit. I f*cking love drums and think they can add so so much to a song that will otherwise be only average. So I wish I had started on drums and not guitar!
    I mean who cannot find this awesome?

There used to be a much better quality version of this, but it seems to be gone

Alos who are your favourite musicians that use the same instrument?

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here... But Steven Wilson has to be it. His whole writing style is exactly what I love, emotive and/or atmospheric songs. But from a technical standpoint you have to acknowledge the greats like Steve Vai, Buckethead and John Petrucci.

I personally prefer feeling over technicality though, so I'll stick with Steven (and Buckethead as he can really do both)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If you could have three bands touring the world together, who would it be and why?

Take a very small, intimate venue and have one artist/band play an acoustic gig in it, who would the artist(s) be and why?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    If you could have three bands touring the world together, who would it be and why?

I'd probably have a couple different styles to give the night a few moods. I'd have Gojira for the crushing heaviness and power. I really think they're a breath of fresh air in the metal scene. Joe is obviously passionate about his subject matter and it comes across in the songs.
    Next I'd have Porcupine Tree for the atmospheric and moody part of the show.
    And I'd finish it on an epic note with some Blind Guardian. That would make for a nice tour to me!

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Take a very small, intimate venue and have one artist/band play an acoustic gig in it, who would the artist(s) be and why?

The acoustic part of the question makes it a good one. I'm gonna pick something different here and say Audioslave. I really liked the acoustic version of Like a Stone that was on Out of Exile and I'd say they'd do some good version of their others

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

• Advertisement

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

I haven't met any really big name musicians. I did meet Gavin Harrison at his drum clinic in X-Music a few months ago though. That was class as I'm a huge Porcupine Tree fan/
    I've met the all the guys from Gojira, Suffocation, Nile. Basically gigs that have been in Whelans and that as it's a tiny venue where its easy to go and meet them after the show.
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

This is another tough one.. I guess I don't have a lot of hate for anyone in particular as I'm struggling to think of someone off hand. Sorry!
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

I don't listen to the band, but Simone Simons is gorgeous

2.jpg

Also, it would be rude to ignore Angela Gossow. She's the archetype metal chick.

Angela+Gossow+angie.jpg

EDIT: Forgot the album covers

Some covers I like

10,000 Days - Tool (The 3d art was great)

9bdca_661ccc.jpg

Pink Floyd - Animals

animals.jpg

There's a good few I like. But not too many stand out straight away as a favourite. I guess that's because unfortunately album art doesn't matter very much anymore :(

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

Really not a thrash fan. I can enjoy the energy at a gig, but I wouldn't be one to stick on any thrash bands. I was never into it, not even when starting to get into metal.
    What was your favourite gig this year?

Definitely has to be Rush back in May. It was all kinds of awesome. Historic night, and everything you could want from an iconic band like Rush. Absolutely superb and one of my all time favourite gigs.
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

Looking forward to Manowar, still need to get tickets actually. And of course Rammstein. I have a feeling there's more, but can't think of them right now. If I do I'll add them in later
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

Not really,really up to date. But two great bands to look out for are Shattered Skies and Shoctopus. Shattered Skies have a great EP out. Shoctopus are absolutely class live. Like modern, classic rock if you get me. Great, great band live. If you get a chance to see them live do because you'll be singing along first time you hear the songs

Could you name your all-time favourite band?

My music taste has changed over the years and I think it always will. And I really don't think I could pick a favourite band. There's some I love for different reasons and whatever I pick now would probably be different in five years time. So I'm afraid I can't!
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

Favourite thing about the scene... I like the commitment of the artists and fans to each other. Usually everyone can enjoy the gigs and have a good time. I like that. But I think a lot of metal fans in particular are really judgmental of peoples taste. And sometimes just wanna hear bands play the songs they like. For example I f*cking hate when I got to an Opeth gig and you have these mouthy b*stards shouting at the band during a mellow song to "play metal!!". It's totally disrespectful, and I don't get why you'd go to a gig and do that. Plus you're ruining it for me.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Megadeth. I have never been into them and just don't get them at all. Also, Guns and Roses.

Any more questions there folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

What was your first ever gig?
    Is there any particular band you would like to see live?
    What is your favourite PT album?
    Audioslave or Soundgarden?

Nea wrote: »
    What was your first ever gig?

My first ever gig was Sum 41 in the Point back in 2002/3 not too sure. Loved it and definitely been enjoying gigs ever since.
    Is there any particular band you would like to see live?

Up until recently I would have been saying Rammstein, but now that I'll be seeing them I'm gonna go with Blind Guardian
    What is your favourite PT album?

Horrible question! It's tough to choose. In Absentia has great tracks to listen to individually, but Deadwing and FoaBP both are amazing albums to just sit down and listen through.
    It's a bit of a tie... but if I had to pick I'd say Deadwing just wins it.
    Audioslave or Soundgarden?

I have never properly gotten into Soundgarden, even though I'm sure I'd like them. So at the minute I'm gonna have to say Audioslave, just cause I don't know enough Soundgarden

Last call for more questions!

Okay it's probably high time we moved on to the next person :). Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Dr.Poca for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement