Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Idea

Options
  • 22-08-2011 1:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mentioned this in the Off Topic thread. Read a book during the year called 'Coming out: The Irish Gay Experience' and quite enjoyed it. Essentially it was a compilation of experiences written by your average everyday Irish person from right across the LGBT spetrum.

I ran the idea to put together another past a person I know from one of the organisations in the Country and she loved it. She had previously discussed the idea with someone, but it fell by the way side.

How would you feel about contributing to such a book and what are your feelings on the idea? I'd love to help put it together and any proceeds would of course go to assisting LGBT groups around the Country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

That sounds like a cool idea :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll just clarify what it's all about. The idea is to gather peoples experience of being LGB or T. It can be your life experience and how you came to identify as who you are, your struggles or your general experience. Since the previous book was written, alot has changed. For example, civil partnership and gende recognition as well as some attitudes.

We all understand people may not be out but would love to contribute. Annominity is essential for everybodies well being, but the intention is to highlight experiences to inspire and give people an all round idea of what life is like for us at the moment.

When all is put together and everyone is happy, then it will be send to print and any proceeds or profits will go only to LGBT organisations and projects. It won't benefit me or anyone else financially, but groups who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's the Glenn O Brien book isn't it? my favourite bit is the ladies and gents basketball. The lesbian and gay visions of Ireland from 1996 is very interesting too although it's mostly activists. I like this idea. I was only just thinking in the last day or so that it would be interesting to update that 1996 book.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

that is a great idea. Could be a good source of info for young people going through tough times with being gay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have to say I always thought that collecting lifestories of LGBT Irish people might be my next project after finishing my Phd (which is in lifestories and disability)

I'd love to write something or help out, but sdadly this year is a no-no for me. :( Great idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

A definite maybe from me. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Glad to see people love the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

love the idea, i'm not a writer so i'll leave ye to it, but let me read it when ye;re done :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i'd do it
    pretty short life experiece thus far, nearly 19 is all. still a baby :p

allydylan wrote: »
    love the idea, i'm not a writer so i'll leave ye to it, but let me read it when ye;re done :p

Well I'm hoping by this time next year if it all goes well, it could be available to buy ;) I'll get you a copy either way.
    i'd do it

Well, all contributions would be welcome, from young and old. It would make good reading to have experiences from right across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

It would be cool to get different experiences

Well I'm hoping by this time next year if it all goes well, it could be available to buy ;) I'll get you a copy either way.

Well, all contributions would be welcome, from young and old. It would make good reading to have experiences from right across the board.

well then count me in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd love to contribute.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

i'd do it

Actually contributions from people around your age could be quite interesting, given that 1993 was the year of decriminalization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I'm not out so can't contribute but it's a great idea and can't wait to see the finished result :)

For those who would like but feel they can't contribute because they are not out. Your privacy will be repected, details changed and annominity given if you would actually like to provide something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

I would contribute ..but I like my privacy too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

What exactly are you looking for? how would you propose it be published? self publication or try to persuade a publishing firm?. It's a good idea,just seeking clarification.

Actually contributions from people around your age could be quite interesting, given that 1993 was the year of decriminalization.

never thought of it that way, strange to think as early as a year after i was born it was decriminalised :eek:

so as people are interested itsthatmanagain PM me when and if youre setting the wheels in motion

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would contribute ..but I like my privacy too much

The irony of Glen O Briens book is that Glen O Brien is in fact a pseudonym and that the majority of contributors didn't in fact identify themselves

http://bonhom.ie/2007/04/bootboy-coming-out-irish-gay

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Freiheit wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for? how would you propose it be published? self publication or try to persuade a publishing firm?. It's a good idea,just seeking clarification.

I'm hoping to self publish through origingalwriting.ie. Would I'd hope for is personal life experience and the book would hopefully provide a comparison between today and the book released in1996. I'll be providing my own piece but under another name to what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 harar

ooooh i want to do it... like really really really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'd like to contribute. My story is fairly boring though.

I'm sure someone could relate to your input :)

As for the book. I'm going to try and get submissions together soon, but I'm going to try and get a few groups to advertise it and they may want to provide an outline for it first. So anyone who want to can get writing :P but hold off on submissions for awhile until I can get things going.

I was thinking of keeping to the original and splitting the book into 2 parts, the 1st consisting of personal experiences and part 2 consisting of small submission from groups and organisations that have recently sprung up around the country. Mango you might appriciate the fact that I might try and get my hands on the Garda who initially got things going with respect to having Gardai deal confidentially with LGBT issues. It would be great to see how things have come along since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

I think this is a really really fantastic idea, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Can't wait to read it. I'm not much of a writer, but I'm sure you'll be inundated with excellent submissions.

i said pretty much the exact same thing :P

ok so tell me if i'm wrong, what time of information do you want? comming out stories or what, sorry i'm a little confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I was thinking of keeping to the original and splitting the book into 2 parts, the 1st consisting of personal experiences and part 2 consisting of small submission from groups and organisations that have recently sprung up around the country. Mango you might appriciate the fact that I might try and get my hands on the Garda who initially got things going with respect to having Gardai deal confidentially with LGBT issues. It would be great to see how things have come along since then.

Great to see the possibility of a 2012 version! Fair play for taking it on.

Were the Gardai mentioned in the first one or?

allydylan wrote: »
    i said pretty much the exact same thing :P

ok so tell me if i'm wrong, what time of information do you want? comming out stories or what, sorry i'm a little confused :confused:

It's really anything from your experience. Whether it be coming out or how new laws would affect you and what life is like for you growing while identifing within the entire LGBT spectrum.
    lst wrote: »
    Great to see the possibility of a 2012 version! Fair play for taking it on.

Were the Gardai mentioned in the first one or?

A Garda was mentioned in the first book. I forget his name, but he was the first Garda assigned to provide a helpline for members of the LGBT community to report crime against themselves or others in a confidential manner.

It's really anything from your experience. Whether it be coming out or how new laws would affect you and what life is like for you growing while identifing within the entire LGBT spectrum.

oh ok, sorry i just could get my head around what it was you wanted to do exactly
    i wouldn't mind contributing either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I think it would be interesting to also explore the differences north and south as well as having a mix of urban and rural stories.

Fair play to you for taking it on, I remember the original one and think it could be very interesting to see the changes that we have experienced.

Happy to help out if you need it.

Advertisement