Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #22 - Motley Crue

Options
  • 31-07-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Motley Crue.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do you like Motley Crue?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

What was the first/last/best and is next gig your attending?
    What has been your favourite festival line up ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

If you were to introduce somebody to metal, which album would you recommend as a gateway to the genre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What was the first/last/best and is next gig your attending?

First gig I ever attended was Our Lady Peace in the Point Depo, March 2003, and before anyone goes and looks it up I will admit it....yes, they supported Avril Lavinge, she was the headline act that night

The last gig I went too was Sonisphere 2011 I believe, I was there for the whole weekend.

The best gig I ever went too, without question (based on sheer performance and mood and atmosphere and everything) was Faith No More in Edinburgh in August 2009....about 4 minutes from where I lived at the time, I got a free ticket from a work mate whose girlfriend decided she didn't want to go. I was in shock just to get the chance to see them in such a small venue (they were playing Reading two days later or something) and I cannot tell you, or describe to you, how incredible the gig was - mainly due to the atmosphere in that building and the fans putting everyone in the right mood
    What has been your favourite festival line up ever?

That I've attended - The Big Four this year at Sonisphere was pretty spectacular

That I've not attended - It wasn't really a festival, but in 1992 there was a huge US Summer tour from Metallica, Guns N Roses and Faith No More - that would have been my ideal concert at the very pinnacle and ideal placing in each of those bands careers
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Do you like Motley Crue?:pac::pac:

I do, believe it or not, but I couldn't tell you why I chose this username specifically as opposed to the other bands I liked - maybe Queen sounded wrong to me at the time.....but yes, I do like Motley Crue
    If you were to introduce somebody to metal, which album would you recommend as a gateway to the genre?

That's quite interesting actually given that Metal is so diverse and far reaching. I think a good place to start would be a band like Faith No More. Their sound is so different from song to song at times, that I think they're light enough to almost be considered Poppy and yet they have a hardcore following from Metal fans of all kinds. I also think the usual such as Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction and Metallica's self titled album are good places to begin in that regard.

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

Freddie Mercury

Plain and simple, Queen got me into the genre, and their theatricality and passion in their music made me stay listening to it. From there I moved to heavier things and more obscure and diverse acts. But it was all thanks to Queen from the very beginning. I must have been 4 when I bought my first Queen album - or my Dad bought it for me on cassette tape - and I never looked back.

I love the passion that Rock and Metal artists display in their music and their art, I love the fact that you can chart a lot of rock musicians careers over several decades (the more infamous ones anyway) and with Pop you tend to find it's very bland, throwaway, and it exists more for the song and the voice then for the artist and the person.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I was going to see Velvet Revolver in the Point and wanted some advice on an aspect of the gig as far as I can remember.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

I like the conversation and the fact people are able to disagree and discuss different points of view. I think that says a lot for the freedom of speech and expression here. And there is also passion from music fans about what they do.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I do three things - I am a Journalist by design and passion, I write for an American magazine called Sick Drummer, I run my own radio show and I do a bit of TV Production when I am asked. I am currently working on a film called The Malformed Man and earlier this year I worked with the BBC on Geordie Finishing School for Girls which is currently on BBC3.

I also work for the City Council where I live in the UK, I work in the Environmental Department on and off and.... I am also a Registrar, which means I marry people who get married in Civil Ceremonies. It is through these three professions that I attempt to make some kind of living.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

A lot of albums have had an impact on me in different ways, the greatest would probably be (excluding everything Freddie Mercury has ever written) Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell 2 because it was another introduction to the theatricality of Rock and still remains on my regular playlist today....love that album....
    Where did your username come from?

From this band, they formed in LA around 1981 and went on to become quite popular, but nobody in Ireland has ever really heard of them because for some bizzare reason they've never played in Southern Ireland in 30+ years....;)
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Bass. I would imagine myself just standing there and thrashing out at the side of the stage like Jason Newsted.

I would also love to play a Keytar too, just for the whole 80s vibe
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Funny enough, I can think of a lot of albums by bands who (whether they are well known or not) are still underrated - one off the top of my head being an album called Revolve by a band called Danger Danger....I love that album, and it went virtually unnoticed upon release because the band don't really tour and it came out on Frontier

I do feel Hot Space and Jazz by Queen get really bad press from fans, but I enjoy both of those albums to a certain extent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

interesting that you write as your contributions here have been good, linky to said magazine articles?

SO.

At the height of your metal lovin years what is the most extreme way you may have dressed?
    ....along the lines of bulletbelts, studs n stuff....

is that a strange question?:o

of all the interviews you have done who would you rather meet for a regular pint?

anyway enjoy reading your posts so off to look up that magazine you write for:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

interesting that you write as your contributions here have been good, linky to said magazine articles?

Thank you very much. Em, as far as links go, Sick Drummer doesn't really have anything on the website from me (unless they have that interview I did with Shawn Drover from Megadeth) however, the good news is that you can find some stuff from me at Daily Music Guide - I haven't written for them since earlier this year but there is stuff there going back about 2 years, mostly reviews and previews...I think the articles, the most exciting stuff, is in Sick Drummer and I'll try and find if it's reposted anywhere.

Daily Music Guide stuff is here:
    http://www.dailymusicguide.com/AuthorArticles.aspx?AuthorID=77

There is also a (really old) article I wrote on Queen located here:
    http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/338/

Oh, and this is the Shawn Drover thing, but it's just a small piece
    http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/index.php/news/latest-news/1924-quick-update-with-shawn-drover-of-megadeth.html
    At the height of your metal lovin years what is the most extreme way you may have dressed?

Umm...I never dressed that mad at all, I think women have great liberties in that, whereas guys (unless you're going for the KISS or Immortal type make up) don't really have a great scope...having said that, guys do dress in boiler suits now for Slipknot and other costumes for the likes of Alestorm and what not, so maybe I just missed out....but torn jeans and a T Shirt were pretty much my calling card and what I wore to almost every gig

The band on the shirt changed though quite regularly, Metallica were a strong favourite, but I try to make a point (where I can) to get a gig shirt as I like wearing those in particular, especially with tour dates displayed on them...I'm not mad into Black, so I always like when I find a red, blue or grey shirt among the pile at the merchandise booth as I like to add a little bit of colour every now and again
    is that a strange question?:o

No, I don't think there are ever stupid questions, unless you interview a band and attribute the wrong song or album to them - I've not done that yet but I've heard and seen people making horrendous mistakes like congratulating a band for playing such a killer set only to be told they're not playing that festival until later that day

Of course, the worst thing to EVER do in an interview is to mention anything you think might absolutely and shockingly upset the person being interviewed....cue Vanessa Warwick, from MTV in the early 1990s, and her cringe worthy interview with Dave Mustaine - look what happens about 12 minutes in when she asks Dave if he will be joining Metallica on stage that night....of course this is also because Dave doesn't want to be interviewed as Metallica's opening music is playing....

Edit: I posted the wrong one, think I have it now

of all the interviews you have done who would you rather meet for a regular pint?

Justin Hawkins, lovely guy, really a true gentleman. Wednesday 13 was a really nice bloke, I expected some complete weirdo but was delighted he was so down to Earth. Jettblack are a really good bunch of blokes, interviewed them a few times, and had a drink with them before a gig last year actually...all lovely guys...

I didn't interview him but I spoke to Mike Bordin for over 40 minutes after Faith No More played in Edinburgh a few years back. He was a complete legend and of anyone I've ever met he was the friendliest and most down to earth, good natured person. No matter what I asked him he answered, including the reason he believed Jason Newsted stopped playing with Ozzy.

Rich Ward from Stuck Mojo and Dino Cazares both come to mind as being very nice and friendly people.

Robb Flynn was the worst, but Phil Demmel saved that situation, and that's all I can say on that subject lol
    anyway enjoy reading your posts so off to look up that magazine you write for:)

Cheers, thanks for the questions

• Advertisement

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?

That's a tough one. I really love the new Alestorm album, Back Through Time and that is an album I've been championing a lot recently. So I think I will probably have to go with that. I also liked Mechanize last year quite a bit, still like it, but that would probably be 2010's winner.

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I honestly can't think of people I truly hate, I try not to waste my time hating anyone in music I don't like because I normally just don't listen to their music, I've learned through meeting a lot of these so called celebrities that they are all just men and women like us, doing a really **** job sometimes and scraping by on nothing (no, really, not all of them - but a lot of them are because the music business is a really tough business to be in)...that being said, there is one person I don't like.....

Kurt Cobain - that's going to get me a lot of abuse, but next to his wife, I think there are few people I could honestly dislike more. I do like some Nirvana songs (few and far between mind you) but for me, everything Cobain embodies is something I dislike...even though I'm sure he was a nice man and a pleasant bloke, if troubled by the weight of his fame.

Oh, and also Tyler Spencer (known to some as Dick Valentine, the lead vocalist of Electric Six) basically because he had the disrespect to dance on Freddie Mercury's grave in that video a few years ago.....personally though that's me being pissed off at the nerve of him as opposed to a real hatred
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Games, ITT Dublin (when I went there), After Hours and sometimes Television
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I think more Rock then really heavy and dark Metal. I like both and I'll listen to anything (I do!) but I do enjoy songs more where I can understand what the vocalist is saying. I think, in general, I'm on the lighter side of things - I have some darker tastes but I'm so varied it's unreal.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

OK, so let's say we can't raise the dead...that would work out easier....

Jason Newsted, Mike Bordin, Justin Hawkins, Axl Rose and Lars Ulrich
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

It happened - 1992 US Summer tour with Metallica, Guns N Roses and Faith No More - for me that would be perfect, maybe throw in Alice In Chains before FNM

If I could have ANYONE living or dead it would be Queen, David Bowie, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Faith No More, Meat Loaf, Alice In Chains and Motley Crue doing a whole Monsters of Rock thing
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Probably a toss up between Slayer and Metallica. I like Megadeth too. Let's go for Metallica since I've liked them longer then the other two.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Probably Chinese Democracy. I love that album but there are too many holes and "why the **** is he doing that?" moments. Some genius songs - such as 'There Was A Time' and 'If The World' and 'Prostitute' but for me he could have made it an EP and it would still have the same effect, everything else is just filler. For the record, he should have released an EP with just.....

1. There Was A Time
    2. Sorry
    3. Madagascar
    4. If The World
    5. Prostitute
    6. IRS

Feel free to keep them coming, I'm an open book;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Feel free to keep them coming, I'm an open book;)
    Book. What's your favourite book? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

How did you swing those decent journalist gigs?

How did you swing those decent journalist gigs?

Well, it was pretty much through hard work and bothering people.

Years ago I needed something to do on a Transition Year work experience programme in School, and so I started working in a Radio station, and the bug continued. Later, when I studied radio in college, I just emailed people (usually from MySpace and official websites) and asked them for things like whether they'd like to be a guest on the programme or have an interview done for the college paper....the usual kind of stuff....now most people usually never responded but a handful did and I just built up this relationship.

Later, when I moved to the UK, I found that a lot of Metal labels over here are quite eager to give you publicity for their artists (as long as you are an accredited Journalist) so it was just a case of emailing and calling people to get added to mailing lists. This led to reviewing the odd few gigs and before I knew it I was fortunate enough to be going to a gig, getting an interview and then reviewing the gig for my chosen publication/broadcast.

Having said that, I do consider myself extremely fortunate and I know this position won't last forever. A lot of the work I do is unpaid because it's a passion that keeps me going - of course I'd love to be paid and will have to make a choice at somestage between passion and practicality unless I get a regular paying job in the Industry. For me, I've just been in the right place at the right time. And yes, that cliché is true.
    Jemmaa wrote: »
    Book. What's your favourite book? ;)

Now there's an interesting one alright, as I don't tend to read as many books as I should, and often enjoy graphic novels and comics from time to time.

I really enjoyed Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries as it happens, although my favourite in recent times would probably have to be a book I read a few years ago on Metallica that I really enjoyed and stays with me to this day. It was written by a guy called Joel McIver and entitled Metallica: And Justice For All

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

1. Given you're a Queen fan, how do you feel about Paul Rodgers singing with them on their tour?
    2. Which song has the highest play count on your ipod/mp3 player?
    3. What is your favourite 'good mood' song? i.e. what instantly puts a smile on your face?

1. Given you're a Queen fan, how do you feel about Paul Rodgers singing with them on their tour?

At first I was disappointed by the decision, and the album was OK but wasn't ground breaking, I think the band knew that themselves and that sparked the decision to go their separate ways. I think Rodgers is an excellent singer but I felt sorry for him because he wasn't Mercury - despite how amazing he was - and the songs I loved to hear him sing on their album Return of the Champions were Queen numbers more than his own material.

With that said, I loved the fact they did tour, because a lot of people got to see a Queen live experience (or as much as they could with living members) and that was really important to a generation of really young fans who would have just been born when Queen last toured with Freddie in 86'

It's a mixed issue for me, and nobody can replace Freddie obviously, but I liked what I heard from Rodgers on those live shows. And it was certainly better then anything the X Factor did on those absurd tribute shows!

I love the musical though, went to see WWRY in Edinburgh a few years ago and Brian May and Roger Taylor came out to perform with the cast at the end, I was almost speechless....when the lead character sang 'Who Wants to Live Forever' that night it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up

2. Which song has the highest play count on your ipod/mp3 player?

"November Rain" by Guns N' Roses
    3. What is your favourite 'good mood' song? i.e. what instantly puts a smile on your face?

Strangely enough, and I should really stop mentioning Queen lol, but it is actually a Freddie Mercury solo track called "In My Defence" - just a great song and I have loved that track since I first heard it when I was about 6 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is there a reason your avatar is now the point-haired boss from Dilbert? ;)
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Is there a reason your avatar is now the point-haired boss from Dilbert? ;)

I'm not really sure, I like the Boss from Dilbert, mainly because he's a funny character and I love the programme. I always taught that having William Shatner voice the boss (because I have to presume the guy who did the voice on the TV show was basing it on Shatner) would be great. He has some brilliant moments on that show.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

From my point of view meeting Joe Elliot was a real thrill and I'd consider him my most famous, but from reality sake, probably Corey Taylor - I met him backstage at a Stone Sour gig and he just walked up, shook my hand and started chatting away to me. About 5 minutes later he asked if I was the Meet and Greet winner or not, and I was like "no, just a Journalist interviewing Greg from Hellyeah" so he laughed and we went our separate ways. But he was a nice guy.

Funny enough, I was supposed to interview Vinnie Paul that night, but they changed the interview person at the last moment (beware, managers and labels have the right to do this and there is NOTHING you can do about it!).

I didn't meet James Hetfield but I passed him in the corridor backstage at Sheffield 2009...he was going to the canteen for something to eat so I didn't bother him
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

I'm not really sure, there are a lot of idiots out there, but I think someone who makes a rather unwise choice about their musical career that costs either their band or themselves a massive opportunity is an idiot...I've gone blank now and can't think of someone....maybe Lars Ulrich over the whole Napster thing, I mean I agree with him to a point, but I don't agree with the way he was branded this poster boy and then ran with it....and I think his career suffered A LOT as a result...
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

My favourite would have to be Christina from Lacuna Coil. Never had the chance to speak to her yet (actually the only interview I've ever done with a woman is Martha from Bleeding Through) but I think Christina is just an astonishingly beautiful woman as far as Metal babes go.

They're more Rock, but a special mention has to go to the Donna's AND Sheryl Crow (she might be pushing 50s but....well....)
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Umm...good question....

Of course, I think it would have to come down to three

1. Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
    2. Queen - The Miracle (although Innuendo is great too)
    3. Def Leppard - Songs from the Sparkle Lounge

Let's give Def Leppard the win, but they are all great covers

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

What do you make of the Irish rock/metal scene? Are there any Irish bands that you think we should all be aware of?

• Advertisement

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    What do you make of the Irish rock/metal scene? Are there any Irish bands that you think we should all be aware of?

Having lived abroad for about three years now I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer that, mainly because there are that many fast rising bands in the UK that the Irish scene (sadly) tends to get swept under the carpet. I think a lot of Irish bands consider it a massive success to get a UK tour under their belt, and as much as it is, there is still a lot more work to do beyond that to have any chance of surviving in this climate.

In terms of the Irish scene, I love Darkest Era (from Fermanagh, who've just been signed to a distribution deal on Metal Blade) and of course, The Answer are a fantastic live act.

But in terms of bands that would be up and coming I also love Eternal Helcaraxe who I would recommend you check out, http://eternalhelcaraxe.net/ although again, not that up and coming, still a fantastic act

Also a special mention to Gama Bomb who I absolutely love and think are incredible. Can't wait to see them again in September.

If you were in a band and you could pick a drummer who would it be? If you're playing bass

What's better: Bad Interview or No Interview?

What makes a band a Band?

If you were in a band and you could pick a drummer who would it be? If you're playing bass

Gene Hoglan of Fear Factory/Strapping Young Lad fame or Vinnie Paul
    What's better: Bad Interview or No Interview?

Bad interview, mainly because a bad interview is one in which they say things on the record that the manager later informs you they cannot have repeated in the press. You're not infallible, and you will get sued if you print things (even if you can back them up with a tape it's often not worth it) so I generally tend to enjoy bad interviews because you and the band are the only people who hear what they really think about the band their touring with.

No interview means no band and you just feel like they're too good to give you five minutes.
    What makes a band a Band?

I think a band need to play their instruments well, or technically well, but....

I think a lead singer or frontman, ideally someone with a persona, goes a long way. I also think a certain image or niche helps. A lot of bands like Limp Bizkit (for example) survive as the last of their genre because they're good business men but not good musicians.

I think Vince Neil going to jail and Nikki Sixx almost dying on heroin hasn't really stalled Motley Crue's career - in a lot of cases it's about what they do offstage as opposed to on.

I can't stand bands who come on and do nothing and just stand there. In the same way I can't stand Take That for coming on and spending millions on a light and dance show. Just look at the way Freddie Mercury handled Live Aid or the way Fear Factory handled Sonisphere 2010. Logistically it's the same thing because they hold the crowd in their hands and they interact with the audience. You feel like, live, you are that extra member of the band. That's what I truly believe makes a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Corey Taylor - I met him backstage at a Stone Sour gig and he just walked up, shook my hand and started chatting away to me. About 5 minutes later he asked if I was the Meet and Greet winner or not, and I was like "no, just a Journalist interviewing Greg from Hellyeah" so he laughed and we went our separate ways. But he was a nice guy.

Ah! So jealous! :mad::p

Um, a question... Oh, band name/ logo tattoos! Have you any? Would you get one? If so, which band??

Um, a question... Oh, band name/ logo tattoos! Have you any? Would you get one? If so, which band??

I don't have any, a lot of mates have them, one in particular has several including CFH logo on the back of his neck....I've never really felt strongly enough about getting any tattoo I suppose but if I did get a band name or logo I might be persuaded to do so for either Metallica, Pantera or Alice In Chains

Where on my body is another question altogether, maybe a leg, since that's probably the best place to conceal it when the powers that be (i.e. job) want it hushed away but can be brought out with some 3/4 jeans

Thank you for your answers Motley.

Who do you think is/was most influential music journalist and why?
    Whose writings do you enjoy reading the most?

Who do you think is/was most influential music journalist and why?

Frank Zappa once declared that, "Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read" and in a funny way (despite what I do, I agree with him) because the Industry can be full of people - just like me - who are writing our opinions on albums and concerts that those reading may absolutely and completely disagree with. That's what makes it such a surprising, but also such a trivial, read.

I do, however, enjoy Mick Wall's material - not because of his ego and his big head - but because he managed, for a few years there, to travel like a rock star and remain a Journalist. He sat on a plane to Moscow with Ozzy Osbourne and Motley Crue, he went to Brazil to cover Iron Maiden for Kerrang FFS and he met Axl Rose at 2am in a seedy hotel room just after his marriage had ended. In a way it was that kind of idyllic situation, even if it's not possible to recreate now, that I enjoy hearing about more for the story of how it happened rather then what was said.
    Whose writings do you enjoy reading the most?

Mick Wall's interviews are a laugh and his articles and books are OK but in terms of authors and writings I love reading Nikki Sixx a lot because he is very vivid in his imagination and has a lot of colour in his writing. In terms of authors I like a few of the old school writers like Robert Christgau, Greil Marcus, and Simon Frith who I think remain the strongest critics of Rock even today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What's your favourite type of cheese.....and why

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Why did Jason leave Ozzy's band??

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why did Jason leave Ozzy's band??

According to Mike Bordin they'd be touring in 2003 and everything was going really well and Newsted was gelling fantastically with Osbourne. The tour finished in Florida or somewhere and the band went their separate ways for the break.

Now, according to Bordin, Newsted was a lovely guy but was also so intense about music that he felt Osbourne's unwillingness to begin recording a new album after the tour (if you remember they had spoken about their interest in doing this over that Summer in the press) and his arguments with Sharon about this - Sharon said Ozzy needed to rest, should concentrate on touring in 2004 maybe, where Newsted felt an album needed to be recorded - resulted in him just becoming bored and feeling that the band was going nowhere.

Newsted apparently wasn't interested in just touring and, according to Bordin, wanted to make an album badly with his idol. When this request was rejected (and in a similar vein to Metallica) Newsted parted company and never spoke about it - mainly because he idolised Ozzy and had too much respect for him to say anything bad.

In December 2003 (4 days after the announcement Newsted had left) Ozzy had his accident and was rushed to emergency. But by that point Sharon had already found a replacement as she handled everything to do with the band.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    What's your favourite type of cheese.....and why

I do love a bit of Wensleydale or Gorgonzola - mostly because of Wallace and Gromit. Everyone know's the moons made out of cheese.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement