Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #21 - Under A Funeral Moon

Options
  • 11-07-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Under A Funeral Moon.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What is your favourite metal album of all time?
    Where do you sit on the whole "Metallica" love or hate argument?
    What is your opinion on William Bailey, or Axl Rose to most?
    How long have you been into Darkthrone and why their album name as your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Do you play an instrument?
    If you could know how to play any song instantly, what would it be? (If you don't play any instrument, you may choose any for this question)
    Is there any subgenre of rock/metal that you can't stand?
    Are you interested in music outside of the rock/metal genres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    I was brought up listening to bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Deep Purple. It's something that has stuck with me over the years. I can safely say that I won't ever lose interest in metal.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    I first joined Boards in 2008, as far as I remember. My last account was messed up after the hacking incident, so I created this one. I think I stumbled on it after searching for something on Google. I have a memory like a goldfish. :p
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    I'm not a big poster, but I check the forum regularly to see if there's any gigs on that I didn't see posted on Facebook.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Until recently, I would have said work! My job was made redundant a few months ago, though. I tend to spend my time looking for another decent job...or playing my PS3. :D
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden was one of the first albums I bought, so that's a strong contender. Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone have probably had the biggest impact on me.
    Where did your username come from?
    It's one of my favourite albums.

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    That's an easy one. It's got to be Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons. The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden is a close second.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    Iron Maiden in The Point back in 2003.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    Dave Mustaine does my head in. I'm not a Megadeth fan at all. He's a big part of the reasoning behind it.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    I use the Nordic and Living Abroad forums quite a lot.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    I prefer metal. As for sub-genre, I'd be torn between black and heavy metal.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    Bruce Dickinson, Fenriz, Gaahl, Ozzy Osbourne and Nattefrost.
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Darkthrone, Iron Maiden, Carpathian Forest, Amon Amarth, Ozzy Osbourne, Manowar, Ensiferum, Aura Noir, Finntroll, Taake and Satanic Warmaster.
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    Slayer. However, I maintain Testament is far better than the big 4 combined.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?
    The latest Morbid Angel album is terrible. Very disappointing.

What is your favourite metal album of all time?
    That changes a lot, but I'd probably have to say Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden. As I mentioned earlier, it was one of the first albums I bought.
    Where do you sit on the whole "Metallica" love or hate argument?
    Ah, I love Metallica. They have a few sh!t albums, but overall, they're awesome.
    What is your opinion on William Bailey, or Axl Rose to most?
    He has a good voice, but he's a total asshole.
    How long have you been into Darkthrone and why their album name as your name?
    A good few years now. I bought one of their albums at a festival years ago, but didn't like it that much. It sat on the shelf for a while, but I loved it after giving it another shot. As you can see, they're pretty safe in the top spot on my Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/ThorsMaiden
    As for the username, I love that album. I wanted Transilvanian Hunger, but it was already taken. So, here I am - Under a Funeral Moon.

• Advertisement

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Do you play an instrument?
    Yes. I play drums - badly. I did 4 lessons, but then gave up. I love drumming, but I'm pretty useless at it.
    If you could know how to play any song instantly, what would it be? (If you don't play any instrument, you may choose any for this question)
    Not the fastest or most complicated, but here you go:

Is there any subgenre of rock/metal that you can't stand?
    I'm not a fan of glam. Some of it is okay, but for the most part, I can't stand it.
    Are you interested in music outside of the rock/metal genres?
    Does rock 'n' roll count?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Not sure if it does ;)

You seem to be a fan of Norwegian black metal, do you have an interest in Swedish black metal (Dissection, Naglfar etc.) or any other country, or is it mainly Norwegian black metal bands?

Not sure if it does ;)

You seem to be a fan of Norwegian black metal, do you have an interest in Swedish black metal (Dissection, Naglfar etc.) or any other country, or is it mainly Norwegian black metal bands?

Hmmm. Well, I like it anyway. :p

I'd say the majority of it is Norwegian, but that's because Norway has the best black metal bands, in my opinion. I do, of course, like black metal from other countries. As for Swedish black metal, hell yeah! Sweden gave us Bathory, Marduk, Dissection, Dark Funeral and Watain! Naglfar are awesome too, but I've only got two of their albums to base that on.

Do you mean rock n' roll like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, James Brown?

How do you feel being responsible for one of the longest running threads on this forum with, at last count, 13,146 posts on it?

Do you mean rock n' roll like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, James Brown?

How do you feel being responsible for one of the longest running threads on this forum with, at last count, 13,146 posts on it?

Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry. All the good stuff. :p

I never expected that thread to last so long. Great success! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

What is, if any, your favourite album artwork?*

*This question has been altered from its typical incantation due to Pyr0 :P

How do you feel about Slayer? Good band to whom age has now caught up on or do they still have some musical genius hidden away in there?

How do you feel about Slayer? Good band to whom age has now caught up on or do they still have some musical genius hidden away in there?
    I'm sure there's more than two possible opinions on Slayer.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

I'm sure there's more than two possible opinions on Slayer.

There are many, of course, but I was looking for his opinion on this particular issue - should Slayer retire or continue?

Haven't been online for a few days, sorry.
    What is, if any, your favourite album artwork?*

*This question has been altered from its typical incantation due to Pyr0 :P
    Ohh, that's a tough one. Damn you! :P I'd probably have to go with Killers by Iron Maiden. It's epic! It's one of my many band tattoos.
    iron-maiden-killers.jpg
    I think they have plenty left to offer and would love to see them continuing on for many years. They're a brilliant band.
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Joey DeMaio. He's an absolute legend and a true gentleman. :D:D:D:D:D
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Dave Mustaine. I've watched a few interviews with him and he just really annoys me.
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    I'm a girl...and I'm straight. :P The hottest guy in metal is most definitely Fenriz.
    tumblr_li0aerxFeK1qheclgo1_500.jpg
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    Most of the time, yes. Although, most of the jobs I've had required me to wear a suit, so that's a bit of a change.
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Possessed - Seven Churches. I'd highly recommend it. Awesome album!
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    Bruce Dickinson. He's my idol.
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    That was already asked. Killers by Iron Maiden is my favourite.
    There are many, of course, but I was looking for his opinion on this particular issue - should Slayer retire or continue?
    I hope they keep going for as long as possible.

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

CD/Vinyl from a bricks and mortar shop or digital download?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Manowar fan!

....gives sign of the hammer...

the end.

:)

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    The first one that springs to mind is Christian metal. Seriously...what the hell! :confused:
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Manowar in Birmingham.
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Iron Maiden in Belfast and Rotting Christ in Cork. I'm really looking forward to both.
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Yes, definitely. My favourites are A Distant Sun, Shoctopus, Abaddon Incarnate and Warpath.
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    I have two. Iron Maiden and Darkthrone.
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    The best part, aside from the music, is the sense of community. My least favourite is the elitists.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    One word: Stryper.

lord lucan wrote: »
    CD/Vinyl from a bricks and mortar shop or digital download?
    I definitely prefer buying CDs. I have downloaded music, but there's no comparison. CDs are the best.

Manowar fan!

....gives sign of the hammer...

the end.

:)

And the post of the thread award goes to...you! :D Hail and kill!

• Advertisement

Any more questions there folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

If there is a band that you think are, in your opinion underated or are just not that well known and deserve a bit more attention?

Actually just thought of another two:
    Do you feel that being a woman in the male-dominated world of metal is an advantage or a disadvantage?
    Any positive or negative experiences you'd care to share?

Sorry, just saw these two now. I thought I'd escaped! :p
    If there is a band that you think are, in your opinion underated or are just not that well known and deserve a bit more attention?
    The first one that springs to mind is Aura Noir. They're a blackened thrash metal band from Oslo. I absolutely LOVE them, but so many people have never heard of them. Here's a link to their best (in my opinion) song: http://youtu.be/w1KIxGzhh_c
    Actually just thought of another two:
    Do you feel that being a woman in the male-dominated world of metal is an advantage or a disadvantage?
    Any positive or negative experiences you'd care to share?
    I don't think being a woman in metal is any different to being a male in metal. Then again, having studied mechanical engineering and being involved with modified cars (back in the day), I'm used to being a minority. Most of my friends are male, so I'm "one of the lads," as they'd say.

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Under A Funeral Moon for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement