Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #20 - Pyr0

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Pyr0.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

I originally got into Rock & Metal when I was around 12/13 I think. I remember getting AJFA, Puddle of Mud, and the Chocolate Starfish albums from my aunt and they were on constant repeat for weeks on end so it just went on from there!

Nothing really specific keeps me "interested" per say, I simply enjoy listening to metal! :)

My dad used to use boards a lot and I'd see him online and wonder what it was all about, joined up one day and just went looking for something I had an interest in and alas, I found myself here!

I work full time for a Telecoms company, I've no soul completely because of it. I think its quite fitting with my Metal interest! :pac: I also train in Brazilian Ju Jitsu and Kickboxing/boxing during the week too. When at home and not listening to music I usually play a few games online like Homefront, Quake 3, Dawn of War 2, Age of Empires and all that.

Well AJFA got me into Metal but the one album that changed my view of Death Metal for example was Altars of Madness. I used to think Death metal was all just noise with really bad album production (I'd only heard very early albums of bands) this album was no exception except that I gave it a proper listen and began to really enjoy it. In my opinion it's one of the most definitive Death Metal albums recorded.

My dad thought up my username actually! I had been using his general nick online while playing Counter Strike back in the day and he was sick of people thinking it was him playing and wondering why his skill flutuated (He was crap, I was really good.. :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ever pick up an instrument?

best gig you have been to?

ever pick up an instrument?

best gig you have been to?

Yep. I play guitar myself, although it hasn't been played properly in a long time. Gonna bring it in to have a full setup done on it and get back on the wagon!

Best gig would probably have to be Bolt Thrower at Hellfest this year, by far the best band I've seen live, the energy from the crowd was unreal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

What other genres of music and bands do you enjoy?

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

I'm really not sure to be honest, I haven't kept track of any new albums I've listened to, the only decent one that springs to mind would have to be Evangelion by Behemoth but I think that was released late 2009.

My first ever metal gig was Stained in The Point years ago, pretty good gig from what I remember. I was just getting into Metal/Rock so it was a great experience.

The band I hate the most would have to be H.I.M. They're such an awful, awful band, I want to punch Vile Valo in the face everytime I see his face on tv or hear his voice.

That's a tough one, really tough! I'd probably have to go with Metal as it can incorporate most sub genres of rock quite easily. My favorite sub genre would be Death Metal.

In no particular order.

Rob Halford
    Chris Cornell
    Paul Masvidal
    Chuck Schuldiner (If was alive of course)
    Dimebag

Line up of my dream gig. I've never actually thought about that. Rob Halford in his prime on vocals, James Murphy on lead, Paul Masvidal on rhythm, Steve DiGiorgio on bass, Sean Reinert on drums. I'm aware that various people listed were actually in a band together at some point, but there ya go anyway! :p

Bit of a tricky one that but i'd have to go with Metallica. I have a problem who the recognized big four actually are, I feel Anthrax could be easily replaced with Testament in that, maybe even Exodus.

That's an easy one. The new Morbid Angel release was a big disappointment, after a few listens it does have some alright songs but it could have been an amazing album were it not for all the awful techno (or whatever you wanna call it) influenced tracks.
    What other genres of music and bands do you enjoy?

I absolutely love Blues, can't beat artist such as Andy Timmons, Stevie Ray, BB King, Chuck Berry. I've a soft spot for Classical too, I wouldn't be too knowledgeable on composers, concertos etc but I do have every Mozart Piano concerto and a collection of other composers in a few "Best of" albums. Then you'd have Death/Black Metal, Industrial etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

HAve you met any famous metal musicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You're stuck on a desert island,which album would you have if allowed just one?

Fago! wrote: »
    HAve you met any famous metal musicians?

If I have, I barely remember which doesn't say a lot.. :p

I've met the lads from Amon Amarth after their first Dublin gig, sound guys! Made it my mission to meet Paul Masvidal after the Cynic/Opeth gig, managed to get a photo and my Traced in Air special edition album signed :)
    You're stuck on a desert island,which album would you have if allowed just one?

It'd probably have to be Death - Symbolic but only just! Perennial Quest is what pushes it past the others I considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Who would win in a fight between Nirvana and Pearl Jam?
    Greatest line up for your fantasy Rock or Metal Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

What was the last album you hadn't listen to in years and suddenly realised just how good it was (wondering why you'd left if in the pile for so long) ?

Who would win in a fight between Nirvana and Pearl Jam?
    Greatest line up for your fantasy Rock or Metal Tour?

I'd say Nirvana. Kurt looks like the kinda guy who'd freak the f*ck out during a fight and start biting ears off.

Greatest lineup if we're talking bands, as I already kinda covered band members.

Bolt Thrower
    Carcass
    Morbid Angel
    Obituary
    Cancer
    Behemoth
    Judas Priest
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Emperor
    Immortal
    Rob Zombie
    Pestilence
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Rammstein
    Arch Enemy
    Cannibal Corpse
    Tesseract
    Abigail Williams

All the bands I'd love to see at a festival or a metal tour. Altogether it'd just be epic!
    What was the last album you hadn't listen to in years and suddenly realised just how good it was (wondering why you'd left if in the pile for so long) ?

It'd have to be The Chocolate Starfish and Hotdog Flavoured Water album by Limp Bizkit. It was years since I listened to this album recently, it has awesome tracks which are great for sparring and is just an all round great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Since it seems to be a popular question these days, what's your own personal opinion of Axl Rose?:D

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

I'd love to be able to do sit down and just have natural skill and playing ability when it comes to the drums. I've been blown away by players drumming on various albums where they just add a new level to a track where a regular drum beat for that type of song would have done the job nicely.

Ram it Down by Judas Priest I feel is very underrated, it has some excellent tracks on it such as Come and Get it, Blood Red Skies, Hard as Iron, I'm a Rocker, Heavy Metal. I was shocked to hear them play Blood Red Skies at Hellfest, it was epic!

Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation. Very distingtive yet over looked Death Metal album from these guys, it was my favourite MA album for years. It has everything, excellent solos, crushing vocals, blast beats galore, I don't know why more people don't like this album.
    Since it seems to be a popular question these days, what's your own personal opinion of Axl Rose?

I've no respect for the guy at all, complete and utter d*ckhead of the highest order! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

a) What is your favourite album artwork?

b) Whose voice in Rock/Metal appeals to you most, and what is your favourite album from said vocalist?

a) What is your favourite album artwork?

b) Whose voice in Rock/Metal appeals to you most, and what is your favourite album from said vocalist?

I've never really had a thing for artwork on albums, mainly because I rarely buy albums in shops these days, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give a great answer that man!

Vocalist would have to Chris Cornell, the best work he's ever done in my opinion was Temple of the Dog or Euphoria Morning, If I had to choose just one it'd be Temple of the Dog but just barely. What pushes it across the line is that he displays a very wide range in vocal ability from his (imho) vocal peak across many song. It's truly and album that any rock/metal/grunge fan needs to listen to.

Suppose I should also ask if you have any favourite novelty band in Rock and Metal you absolutely love - or a secret love of a certain band you're often ashamed to speak about in the company of others?

Suppose I should also ask if you have any favourite novelty band in Rock and Metal you absolutely love - or a secret love of a certain band you're often ashamed to speak about in the company of others?

I've always had a big love for Marilyn Manson, mainly his earlier work like Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood. I liked how he always adopted a new style/theme for his music and dived right in. The Golden Age of Burlesque was a good idea from the outset when it comes to the fashion and writing influences, time period etc I just don't think it's that good of an album musically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What's yer favourite type of cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

:p do you think I'm as bad as jemmaa makes out lol lmao

(I should point out that jemmaa had a post in this thread before I asked this, now it looks totally off topic)

scudzilla wrote: »
    What's yer favourite type of cheese?

I'd tell you if I actually liked cheese!

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Malice wrote: »
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Most famous musician.. It's a toss up between Paul Masvidal or Amon Amarth. I'm not really that lucky when it comes to meeting famous people. I did almost meet Phil Anselmo one time.. Oh and managed to get back stage at the Prog Rock stage during High Voltage last year. Was looking for the blokes from Wishboneash for a mate of mine, I had no idea what they looked like or who they were. I was talking to some bloke with long white hair for a bit then he went towards the stage area. Turns out it was some famous key board player who was due on stage, can't remember his name though..

Biggest Idiot in Metal has to be Axl Rose, words can't begin to describe how much I dispise this over dramatic, egotistical bellend. I don't think I even need to give a reason for this.. :pac:

I don't actually have a Metal Babe! I never did have a thing for famous people at all, kinda strange when you think about it!

Think I covered that one already, it's been a long, long time since I've seen an album cover! Most of my music would purely be sourced from online.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Who do you think is underrated in Metal and aren't given enough credit in your opinion?

I've always thought Immortal were never really given the credit they deserve. Most metal fans who are not in any way interested in Black Metal seem to know them as a funny looking black metal band that make god awful, hilariously bad videos. Well, the last part may be true but they're also unbelievable artists with a brilliant back catalog and a very good new album released recently enough. Their live shows are also excellent, one of the best bands I've seen in recent years, even my mates, who are not into them at all thought they were great live.

I may be completely wrong and it'll turn out everyone actually loves them and I just don't realise it :pac:

Any more questions there folks?

I think its time to torture someone else! ;)

Thanks for the questions guys, it's been fun!

• Advertisement

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I think its time to torture someone else! ;)

Thanks for the questions guys, it's been fun!
    You're not getting away that easily, I've a few more questions before you're off the hook:

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement