Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender breakdown

Options
  • 07-06-2011 10:55am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

...following on from the panel discussion over the weekend about the ratio of male to female atheists, I thought it might be interesting to get an idea of what it's like here on boards.

Religious visa + gender 160 votes

I'm atheist or agnostic and male
    0%
    I'm atheist or agnostic and female
    71%
    TwoShedsJacksonmewsoSir Digby Chicken CaesarConorZombrexDont be at yourselfDr. LoonseamusAntBottle_of_SmokekifferCalibosMrPuddingDapperGentCrucifixZillahSarkyOrionDuddyGO_Bear 114 votes
    I'm religious and male
    26%
    BeruthielkrankykittySilverfishrainbow kirbydoriansmithShenshencoffee_cakeIckle MagooKooliBurgofatmammycatpinkypinkyMorgasemiss no starsMalariliahF.A.Busi_Girl08FluffybumsWesternNight 42 votes
    I'm religious and female
    2%
    friday oneantiskepticgeorgieporgyDonatello 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm religious and male
    Although things have greatly improved, I believe the ratio of male to female on Boards is still in favour of male.
    Thus, I'd be surprised to see a 50/50 vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm religious and male
    Yeah, I think the natural demographics of boards is going to skew any poll result strongly in favour of male posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

No option for agnostics?

I'm religious and male
    "I'm atheist or agnostic...."

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I had it in my head you were a girl Robin :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

According to the general election poll the male:female ratio on boards is about 4:1. Or 20% of the members are female.

Which is actually a lot better than it used to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm religious and male
    I'm torn which option I should tick :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Don't think anybody's thought that before :)

I'm religious and male

Perhaps what you meant to say was he's a big girls blouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Theoretically if the poll got enough votes it should be possible to compare the ratio of male theists to female versus male atheists to female to see if females are more likely theistic as, if they aren't, both ratios should be similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

It doesn't really matter if boards is skewed towards males...

You take the male - atheist:religious ratio.
    You take the female - atheist:religious ratio.

(Although the higher sample size for males may lead to more accurate results)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think this is just a ploy to find guurls on the A&A forum. :pac:

I answered male, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    ...following on from the panel discussion over the weekend about the ratio of male to female atheists, I thought it might be interesting to get an idea of what it's like here on boards.

What did the discussion conclude?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

seamus wrote: »
    According to the general election poll the male:female ratio on boards is about 4:1. Or 20% of the members are female.

Which is actually a lot better than it used to be.

Which poll was that? I thought one in after hours recently showed approx 65:35 ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

girls are more religious that boys because the womb acts as an antenna for pychic waves that God sends from Heaven... It's how the souls get into babies which is why egg laying creatures have no souls...

Wait no! Boys are more religious because they generally keep their hair shorter and so have less sheilding to keep out the god waves! It's why monks have that bald patch...

Which poll was that? I thought one in after hours recently showed approx 65:35 ratio
    http://www.boards.ie/vote/demographics.php

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

seamus wrote: »

Have the ever done such a study here on boards in relation to religion? The question of religion pops up in AH the odd time and the non-religious option usually gets 80% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kiffer wrote: »
    girls are more religious that boys because the womb acts as an antenna for pychic waves that God sends from Heaven... It's how the souls get into babies which is why egg laying creatures have no souls...

Wait no! Boys are more religious because they generally keep their hair shorter and so have less sheilding to keep out the god waves! It's why monks have that bald patch...

Sure, why not? This is no less reasonable than what religions actually claim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm religious and male
    Zillah wrote: »
    Sure, why not? This is no less reasonable than what religions actually claim.

boys are more religious because they get their souls 40 days before girls.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Have the ever done such a study here on boards in relation to religion? The question of religion pops up in AH the odd time and the non-religious option usually gets 80% or more.
    No, the closest thing done was in 2005. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=541

Although the gender difference appears similar in those polls, they've been effectively ongoing for six years without being promoted, so it's next to impossible to tell which timeframe the data relates to.

DeV did mention that they're eager to do a big "census", after all the other stuff has been done. I would say that a (properly-worded) question on religion would be on that agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok...

Beruthiel.
    bluewolf,
    Busi_Girl
    FA
    fatmammycat,
    Flabangav,
    Ickle Magoo,
    krankykitty,
    miss no stars,
    Morrigin,
    pinkypinky,
    rainbow kirby,
    redz11,
    Shenshen,
    slow.loris

Right, uh i owe all of yez bar Blue, Busi, Shensen,kitty and Ickle an apology. Sorry for assuming yiz all to be males. :o

(My second apology list is gonna be too long apologies to those males who I thought were females :o)
    (Bet you're wondering if you were one of them? ;))
    MrExpert_Trollface-Left.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Yeah, I thought Ickle_Magoo, Bluewolf and Shenshen were guys.

The rest I either knew were female or have never heard of until now.

I'm religious and male
    I am not a guy - and more to the point, I have no underscore! :mad:

:p

I'm religious and male
    /nick pinksparkleswolfxXx

I'm religious and male
    Perhaps I need to put the Queen in front of my nick.
    Not a Lord of the Rings fan Malty?
    /Takes 50 points off Malty's over all rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm religious and male
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Theoretically if the poll got enough votes it should be possible to compare the ratio of male theists to female versus male atheists to female to see if females are more likely theistic as, if they aren't, both ratios should be similar.

They are equal so far!

I think I've met more male than female atheists in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Perhaps I need to put the Queen in front of my nick.

You know the funny thing I initially assumed you were female. Not just because of LOTR but because the forum I posted on before visiting boards for the first time had a beruthiel/banzaibk/bec/names I can't remember who was female and it was she who recommended I read boards. Think I actually signed up back then too and stole the username malty, but I can't say for sure. In any case for about an entire year of boards posting I assumed you were indeed female, but somehow I came to the conclusion eventually that you were male. :confused:

Now, there you go I gave you a little tidbit of information involving your name and me joining boards. hehe, Can I have the 50 points back plus compensation?

I'm religious and male
    Malty_T wrote: »
    but somehow I came to the conclusion eventually that you were male. :confused:

T'was the beard that confused you?
    Or perhaps my manly swagger?
    Now, there you go I gave you a little tidbit of information involving your name and me joining boards. hehe, Can I have the 50 points back plus compensation?

LOL.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Malty_T wrote: »
    .... the forum I posted on before visiting boards for the first time had a beruthiel/banzaibk/bec/names

That was wiffy.ie wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Are you still marking out of 60? Harsh! :pac:

Advertisement