Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth's 10th album/observation Heritage - September release

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

A few details have finally been released on Opeth's next album, or observation as they call it. It is called Heritage and Mikael has described it as 'good'. :p

The tracklisting is available here, and Mikael speaks a little more about the album, describing as an acquired taste and suggesting Alice Cooper as an influence.
    I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be Opeth, but it's different from the stuff we've done before.

Fairly cryptic description there, it sounds like Opeth but like nothing Opeth have done before. Hopefully more details will emerge soon, the first single has been announced as The Devil's Orchard. It may be an indication of the album's sound, but imo the singles from the last two albums were weaker than the rest of the fantastic material released.

Anyone have any thoughts or expectations for the new album?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I really hope that they haven't again moved further from death metal to fruity prog rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Always bashful is Mike, I'm very sure it'll be "good"!

Look forward to hearing it, at least its all done and dusted, so hopefully hear a few tracks at Soni this year.

01. Heritage
    02. The Devil's Orchard
    03. I Feel The Dark
    04. Slither
    05. Nepenthe
    06. Haxprocess
    07. Famine
    08. The Lines In My Hand
    09. Folklore
    10. Marrow Of The Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

hah, there's a song called slither. always reminds me of this!

but yeah, I'm slightly looking forward to this. Watershed was a very good entry in Opeth's catalogue, though not as good as earlier albums.

I have no doubt that it will at least be...'good' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

It will be quite interesting to hear what this album is like. Watershed was a definite step in a new direction, but I really liked it.

And mp3guy, I always felt that Watershed was a step towards an older prog rock style. So I wouldn't be surprsied to see that go further here. All though I doubt it will be "fruity" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

I think Watershed is fantastic ... looking forward to hearing what the new album will sound like :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

So looking forward to this, especially of hearing of an Alice Cooper influence.
    I also hope new tunes get an airing at Sonisphere......along with When

Album art unveiled!!

248860_10150260186353410_7496603409_9002103_5549670_n.jpg

mp3guy, your description is only getting more and more likely :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

That would be a great album cover if it didn't have the band members heads poking out of the tree :D

This album could go either way, Watershed was a good enough album but they really need to deliver something on par with Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park this time. Whether the album is more prog-orientated or more death metal-orientated I don't really care as long as it's more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Whether the album is more prog-orientated or more death metal-orientated I don't really care as long as it's more interesting.

I don't think the orientation of the album can be called into question anymore. The only way Opeth could have been less subtle with the cover would have been to actually stamp "70s prog" somewhere on it.

• Advertisement

A new song has been leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    A new song has been leaked

Woah, that's a pretty cool track. I've only ever listened to Blackwater Park (which is a great album) but this sounds like it's worth getting. There's a Zappa vibe from some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well. That's another death metal band kicking the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Sounds pretty good. Some of the other songs might have more of a death metal feel, but even if not I don't mind what the they do so long as its good. On the basis of that song, I'm looking forward to the album.

It reminds me of Watershed, but even more old school. I definitely thought you could hear them going this direction in Watershed and now it seems like the new album will be thoroughly down the prog rock route.

Assuming the other songs will be in a similar vein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Ooooh
    Different but deadly.
    Definately moving on in direction from Watershed, I can here the Porcupine Tree in there too.

Woo hoo, roll on Sept
    mp3guy wrote: »
    Well. That's another death metal band kicking the bucket.

The bucket was kicked as a death metal band a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think they explored the progressive death metal part of their sound enough. I like it when bands don't keep churning out the same record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Like the song, think the band needed a bit of a change in direction. Found the last couple of albums a bit uninspiring. Some really nifty guitar work on the new song.
    I have to wonder though, does Akerfeldt listen to his clean vocals? They're so utterly bland, boring and derivative. No defining characteristics to them, he sounds like the million acoustic singer/songwriter types out there, on the last few albums anyway. Very wishy-washy.
    But that being said I'm still looking forward to the album to see where this new direction goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

a comment Quoted from you-tube on the new song

"Hello, I'm a butt hurt death metal fan boy. I now hate opeth because my extremely narrow taste of music is not satisfied, simply because I cant head bang to this song. Like, I have been listening to opeth forever and could care less about what Mikael wants to do, even though it's his band and musicians grow as artists after years and want to try different things, i still dont give a fcuk due to the fact that i'm an arrogant prick and doesn't know how to appreciate different music." :D:rolleyes:

Its nice that now and then you need to listen more carefully to appreciate a song (album) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its kinda standard Opeth fair, with the arrangements eg the use of that particular organ, the middle eastern sounding scales, the atonal sections and so forth. It manages to work rather than sounding like a chilli peppers effort as its just a good/well written song I suppose, but I don't like the guitar sound for the main riff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Part 1 of a 5 part interview with Mikael, the other parts on on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

I dunno about you guys, but I'm considering actually buying that album, if anyone deserves anything, it's Opeth

I will definitely buy it, always buy their albums and have yet to be disappointed. They are one of the most consistently brilliant bands and always do something different on their albums.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I will definitely buy it, always buy their albums and have yet to be disappointed. They are one of the most consistently brilliant bands and always do something different on their albums.

Yeah, I'll always buy an album of a band I really like. And I loved Watershed, it was a step in a new direction... that worked.. and that's not always the case. I'm definitely looknig forward to hearing the rest of this album.

And cheers for the interview! That guy always has good questions and I watched his new Steven Wilson one afterwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'll be getting it! really liking that new song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Its kinda standard Opeth fair, with the arrangements eg the use of that particular organ, the middle eastern sounding scales, the atonal sections and so forth. It manages to work rather than sounding like a chilli peppers effort as its just a good/well written song I suppose, but I don't like the guitar sound for the main riff.

In agreement here, it's very standard Opeth proggy stuff. Part of the middle was almost identical to a passage from Watershed.

I'm a huge Opeth fan, but I found this to be pretty predictable. Not bad by any means, but just really obvious or something.

Pre-orderd the CD/DVD set with "Opeth coin" (?):rolleyes: for £8.99 on play.com ... looking forward to listening to the whole album and watching the "makin of ...." DVD...

• Advertisement

Im liking it, will take more time to grow and cd quality will be better. Cant wait now.

Advertisement