Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Sky Ireland - BBC3, BBC4, CBBC and CBeebies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

MrsD007 wrote: »
    LOL :D:D

ROFL, even. :D:D:D
    rofl-50476.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Originally posted in the BBC One HD thread by EGUINEY, but I nearly missed it and don't see a specific thread for it.

"From 12 May, get something for the whole family with four extra channels from the BBC:
    BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and CBeebies - at no additional cost*."

free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Good news but I'm still hoping for UTV (let's face it, we're not going to get ITV1) on EPG 117 (wishful thinking)

I hope they move BBC1 / BBC2 down to 115 / 116 and add 3+4 to 141 / 142

. . . Makes sense doesn't it ?

UTV will never happen, because of TV3 showing same live programs on saturday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Been free for years those channels, no subscription required, tune them in manually.

Yep, but when they go on the EPG it will be possible to record them to the Sky+ hard disc and schedule recordings - that's the main benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Been free for years those channels, no subscription required, tune them in manually.
    True, but you couldn't Sky+ them. My heart was broken from having to set the dvd recorder to record Cbeebies programmes for my four year old. Sky+ is perfectly painless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Yes, but now they'll be on the EPG - handier for listings and for recording if you have Sky+.

On a side note, if you don't have Sky or don't intend getting it, it's of no relevance whatsoever, and it may be better to argue the merits of Sky versus Freesat versus Free to Air box versus UPC versus Saorview or whatever in a new thread, possibly titled "How I think everyone else should get their TV - the Big Debate" :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On a side note, if you don't have Sky or don't intend getting it, it's of no relevance whatsoever, and it may be better to argue the merits of Sky versus Freesat versus Free to Air box versus UPC versus Saorview or whatever in a new thread, possibly titled "How I think everyone else should get their TV - the Big Debate" :):)
    Maybe, but it is least relevant, imo, to a wider debate due to the timing. There's no technical reason it couldn't have happened years ago, so why do it now (along with an annoucement of price freeze) when once off payment options are getting significantly more airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yes, but now they'll be on the EPG - handier for listings and for recording if you have Sky+.

Exactly.

I've been toying with the idea of ditching Sky+ for years but just look at the other options available to replace the Sky+ box and retain access to the Irish channels - all lacking in one or two areas. Didn't do it when the Humax HDR came out as DTT for RTE etc was still in testing and intermittent. TV3 wasn't even there for a long while. Now the Foxsat HDR is 2 years old and long in the tooth, so it hardly seems worth buying it until the new one appears (When? If ever). I'd pinned a lot of hope on the new Samsung S7800 Freesat PVR box, but that currently isn't "fit for purpose" by all accounts, even after a firmware update the other day, so that's not an option.

So I've been using a Mvison HD300 for the past 18 months that can do DTT and record BBC3/4 & Cbeebies, but it is seriously limited in the wife/user GUI friendly options + it's only one tuner.

Now that Sky have finally decided to include these on the EPG it makes the Mvision redundant except for the HD channels. Even that need will mostly disappear once I get a Sky HD box free from a friend, leaving the MVision mostly for non 28E services. Sure I pay for watching free TV, but one box now will do nearly all the families recording requirements! My yearly spend on the basic Sky package would have bought a Freesat PVR but we'd have lost the complete ease of pause/record/playback of the Irish channels.

I'm not a big fan of Sky and their 'fantastic' euro mark up rates but at least this is a positive move and they have retained one customer (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

MBSnr wrote: »

Now the Foxsat HDR is 2 years old and long in the tooth, so it hardly seems worth buying it until the new one appears (When? If ever).

The new Foxsat came out last year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Freesat-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304527285&sr=8-2

or are you talking about the next one in the pipeline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Trevord wrote: »
    The new Foxsat came out last year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Freesat-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304527285&sr=8-2

or are you talking about the next one in the pipeline ?

The original HDR was 320GB and came out late 2008 or early 2009.

The 500Gb one in your link is the updated version using the same HW but with a bigger HDD.

They mentioned a new HDR2 originally for Q3 2010 then Q1 2011 I think, but it's now slipped and may not be here until summer 2011 if at all - something to do with YouView spec being delayed I recall.

• Advertisement

Great news about the extra BBCs coming onto the EPG,I assume they will have the same channel numbers as the UK EPG.I watch BBC4 quite a lot and it will be great to series link and record from the EPG. Hopefully BBC News,all the ITVs and the CH5s will go on as well at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

As mentioned on these forums before, Channel 5 and the additional ITV channels are highly unlikely to appear.

Adding BBC News and BBC One HD (plus the radio services) makes sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

JDxtra wrote: »
    Adding BBC News and BBC One HD (plus the radio services) makes sense though.

Hopefully these will also appear either on Thursday or soon after.

It's possible that Sky are saying that BBC1 HD will be available to Sky customers, but actually mean it will be available through the "other channels" feature (as it already is).

It would be nice if Sky have done a deal with BBC Worldwide for the complete set of BBC services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Hopefully these will also appear either on Thursday or soon after.

It's possible that Sky are saying that BBC1 HD will be available to Sky customers, but actually mean it will be available through the "other channels" feature (as it already is).

It would be nice if Sky have done a deal with BBC Worldwide for the complete set of BBC services.

Yea I got that feeling about BBC1HD being available in other channels is what they mean. I'd really like to see it on the EPG. They do a fair amount of programming in HD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'd much prefer if Sky just simply lifted the restriction on their Sky+ boxes to allow recording of the "other channels", I have a Freesat TV and Technomate Combo box and PVR so the announcement is of little relevance to me, its all about competiting with UPC and the FTA options, while making the average thick Irish customer think they are getting a better deal with these new channels.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'd much prefer if Sky just simply lifted the restriction on their Sky+ boxes to allow recording of the "other channels",
    I record "other channels" to my planner on my Sky+ box all the time, granted it is bit tricky but it can be done.

Stinicker wrote: »
    its all about competiting with UPC and the FTA options, while making the average thick Irish customer think they are getting a better deal with these new channels.

Of course it's about competing with UPC etc and it's to be welcomed. How do you figure its not a better deal for those consumers that choose Sky as their TV provider as up to this they weren't available on the EPG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

I record "other channels" to my planner on my Sky+ box all the time, granted it is bit tricky but it can be done.

Hi, could you explain how you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A bit tricky is an understatement. It is an extremely awkward practice and not user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tell us the mysteries of the "other channels" my lord so we may spit in the navel of the cursed Sky

• Advertisement

Hi, could you explain how you do it?
    I did say it is tricky :D

Go to channel 501

Press the red button so the Sky active screen appears

When the menu appears, remove your sky card and then press back up

Your sky box then defaults to the UK listings, BBC 1,2,3, 4, ITV 1,2,3,4 etc

When you want to record something, insert your sky card and press record.

(Please note that this may not work on the HD box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

Go to channel 501

Thanks a mil, tricky all right but doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

I think it only works on the old tompson HD boxes. (newer boxes have the new software.)
    I have recorded stuff from time to time using the above method, You really want to see the show ..:)

John mac wrote: »
    I think it only works on the old tompson HD boxes. (newer boxes have the new software.)
    I have recorded stuff from time to time using the above method, You really want to see the show ..:)
    I have a Pace Sky+ box and it works on that but it doesn't work on my HD box.

Go to channel 501

cool! Do you have to be in the UK EPG state to watch the programme back?

cool! Do you have to be in the UK EPG state to watch the programme back?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭losttheplot

Go to channel 501

Could you change channels within the UK listings once you have started a recording ? (ie record ITV1 and watch BBC4)

Could you change channels within the UK listings once you have started a recording ? (ie record ITV1 and watch BBC4)

No. Your EPG will revert back to the Irish EPG a few seconds after inserting your viewing card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Yea I got that feeling about BBC1HD being available in other channels is what they mean. I'd really like to see it on the EPG. They do a fair amount of programming in HD.
    If they were to add HD channels outside of their HD pack to the EPG, would that mean they would then have to replace current non HD customers boxes with HD ones free of charge ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Sky will give you nothing free of charge.

Advertisement