Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Sky Ireland - BBC3, BBC4, CBBC and CBeebies

Options
  • 01-05-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Originally posted in the BBC One HD thread by EGUINEY, but I nearly missed it and don't see a specific thread for it.
    It's only taken 9 years for BBC Four, so roll on 2019...

www.skyireland.ie/freeze

"From 12 May, get something for the whole family with four extra channels from the BBC:
    BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and CBeebies - at no additional cost*."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh my sister will be thrilled with that. ITV1 next? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

surprise surprise.... one wonders are the feeling the heat from freesat and saorview or just being generous. bit disappointing that bbc news 24 is not going to be on the epg or bbc1hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

surprise surprise.... one wonders are the feeling the heat from freesat and saorview or just being generous. bit disappointing that bbc news 24 is not going to be on the epg or bbc1hd.

Would Sky be stealing a march on whatever "big announcement" UPC have to make this week ?

It's about time the Irish Sky Epg started to look like its UK counterpart, we're paying dearly for it and while the above channels are to be welcomed, the big absentees are BBC1HD,BBC News and ITV1HD/UTV. We probably will see BBC1HD and BBC News at some stage, but hell will freeze over before we see ITV or UTV on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Brilliant news! Time for a bigger hard drive on my Sky + box. And to my kids no I'm not planning on recording lots of kids stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I just love small print:
    From 12 May, get something for the whole family with four extra channels from the BBC:
    BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and CBeebies - at no additional cost*.
    * Channels available without subscription.

Typical Sky, trying to give you that feel-good factor of "value for money" when the are ripping Irish people off

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    I just love small print:

Typical Sky, trying to give you that feel-good factor of "value for money" when the are ripping Irish people off

I'm not a fan of Murdoch at all but how could Sky have announced this change to their service, without annoying you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ironic that this is announced on the day that I decide to downgrade the service (currently about €70 per month) to the basics while I put the saved money towards a Saorview/Freesat HD (if these exist yet?) box and get rid of Sky entirely.

While the BBC's are to be welcomed, until they add the rest of them and the ITV's etc to the EPG and at the same/equivalent euro price as the UK package then there's not really much to be shouting about I think... ok they've frozen the price but it's already significantly more than the equivalent UK pack for less functionality/channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Great news. Would love to see ITV 2/3/4 added also.

About time they realised were in a depression!

We've frozen your Sky TV price until 2013

As for the BBC channels - * Channels available without subscription

And how about a upgrade of the software to allow us to get CH4 HD on other channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Regardless of the fact that these channels are free to air and could be added on a Sky box throught the "other channels" feature, it'll be good to have them on the EPG and be able to record them using Sky+.

BBC Four can be a little goldmine of good programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

Good news but I'm still hoping for UTV (let's face it, we're not going to get ITV1) on EPG 117 (wishful thinking)

I hope they move BBC1 / BBC2 down to 115 / 116 and add 3+4 to 141 / 142

. . . Makes sense doesn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Freesat box, anyone?

excollier wrote: »
    Freesat box, anyone?

No change, should still be available through Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Freesat box, anyone?

Indeed.

There is a touch of reinventing the wheel about this thread.

Trevord wrote: »
    Indeed.

I was unable to use Sky + to record these channels before. Shortly I will be able to. That is excellent news and worthy of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Indeed.

In what way? The title says the channels are coming to Sky Ireland. It doesn't say they're coming to Freesat or a free to air satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    While the BBC's are to be welcomed, until they add the rest of them and the ITV's etc to the EPG.

The rest of the BBC channels are up to the Beeb to allow at some future date - the exclusion of UTV and the rest is an ITV decision under pressure from TV3, I suspect. UTV have long stated their wish to be on the Irish Sky EPG, and Sky are amenable as a channel provider here.
    As for the Euro conversion debacle - I agree 100% that it's wrong, but Sky are like any other business, they will charge what they think the market will allow. If more people leave - as seems to be the case recently - this will push prices down eventually. Sky's current Irish HD advert mentions "Ireland's biggest selection of HD channels, and more coming soon" *

*Paraphrasing

greendom wrote: »
    No change, should still be available through Freesat

That's why I said it.
    If people really must have these channels with an EPG, get a Freesat box.
    I have the Humax HDR myself, no way will I pay Murdoch & Co to see what is free, or to record it.

That's why I said it.
    I have the Humax HDR myself, no way will I pay Murdoch & Co to see what is free, or to record it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's why I said it.

What if people want to watch other channels that are subscription only such as Sky Atlantic?
    This is where the free tv only argument falls down slightly.It's good to see more channels added to the epg,subscription free or not.I tried as an experiment to watch only the fta channels and found what was on offer extremely limited-a huge amount of it was soaps or reality tv,both of which are of zero interest to me.So unfortunately the ditch Sky and get a Freesat box mantra isn't an option for a huge amount of people like myself as the stuff they watch is on subscription only channels.

On a side note,was there not talk of the BBC ditching BBC3 and BBC4 due to cost cutting measures?

• Advertisement

There was certainly talk of them getting rid of a couple of radio stations but I think those were put on hold due to protests. Not sure about tv channels but they do have major budget constraints so its possible I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I remember hearing about one TV channel being dropped but not both I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is it because I have a free UK Sky box that I have had them for the last 6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yep, they're on the UK EPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sky have to pay to have them on the Irish epg, even though they are FTA, so it was never as simple as just making them available (that's in no way a defence of sky btw)

Being announced with the price freeze smacks of the threat of Freesat and/or combo's to me, given the economic climate. The free television option is getting a lot more coverage and a lot more takers anecdotally at least. A saorview certified combo (with or without some form of satellite epg above now and next) could be the real threat rather than upc...

zerks wrote: »
    What if people want to watch other channels that are subscription only such as Sky Atlantic?
    This is where the free tv only argument falls down slightly.It's good to see more channels added to the epg,subscription free or not.I tried as an experiment to watch only the fta channels and found what was on offer extremely limited-a huge amount of it was soaps or reality tv,both of which are of zero interest to me.So unfortunately the ditch Sky and get a Freesat box mantra isn't an option for a huge amount of people like myself as the stuff they watch is on subscription only channels.
    On a side note,was there not talk of the BBC ditching BBC3 and BBC4 due to cost cutting measures?
    If you or anyone else want to continue to make Sky and their owners piles of dosh, then that's fine by me. The movies they repeatedly show have already been at the cinema and released on dvd, and you are paying for loads of other content you will never see, no problem.
    I ditched Sky before it went digital, it was, for me, a rip off back then. Thanks BBC etc. for OnDigital and then Freeview.
    I hardly have time to watch a fraction of the of the fta stuff, so Freesat is fine for me, and I have the channels that many Sky subbers on here seem to want, with full epg. And free recording, and some HD.
    Go away (or words to that effect) Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks OP, this is really great news!! My four year old will be thrilled, it will be great to finally be able to sky+ some Cbeebies programmes instead of messing around with the DVD recorder.

It is also worth acknowledging that it was the following post back in 2005 that helped many of us to tune in extra channels, so thanks again :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3545568

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Folks keep in mind that it's not a simply a case of having Sky OR freesat. You can have both and for those who can't live without Sky then the addition of a freesat or FTA box gives you the best of both worlds.

Sky (as is their right) continues to offer an inferior service for some of the non Sky channels it carries (presumably because they want you to watch Sky channels or more specifically Sky ads). They charge you a lot of money and much of what people feel they are paying for is available for free elsewhere.

Sky are making a few changes to improve the service but I just don't see the point of getting excited when your captor treats you a little less badly. That's stockholm syndrome after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Folks keep in mind that it's not a simply a case of having Sky OR freesat. You can have both and for those who can't live without Sky then the addition of a freesat or FTA box gives you the best of both worlds.
    As I do...

Sky (as is their right) continues to offer an inferior service for some of the non Sky channels it carries (presumably because they want you to watch
    Exactly!

Sky are making a few changes to improve the service but I just don't see the point of getting excited when your captor treats you a little less badly. That's stockholm syndrome after all.

Some conflation, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

LOL :D:D

Ha Ha, Another bloody syndrome, I think you might be happier contributing to the psychology forum, some of us come to this forum to escape the rest of the world and its problems ;):D

Advertisement