Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #17 - Nailz

Options
  • 02-05-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Nailz.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

What's the most excited you've been about something Rock/Metal? (Like announcements, gigs, purchases or whatever)

In terms of musical ingenuity or smart business decisions, who do you think is the smartest in the genre and why?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    Well it starts off when I was around 6/7, it was my brother who was going into secondary school at the time who was listening to lots of Metal and was a Metalhead in a certain sense of the word - all of which spawned from our Grungey/Alternative cousin who used to babysit us - she used to bring over her CD's and acoustic guitar when our folks were away. As my brother is 7 years older than me he was obviously going to be way ahead of me in musical knowledge at the time and he preached to me the word of gospel according to PanterA, Slayer, Black Sabbath and Morbid Angel.

So my musical tastes are pretty much indebted to my brother, along with my openness to all other musical genres and niches, and the total evolution of these tastes as I got older; including stuff he hates and finds unlistenable! Funny how things work :). Also due credit to my father for his 60's and 70's orientated tastes, things like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Taste, Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Canned Heat, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Yes, Pentangle, The Doors, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Hawkwind, etc. Naturally he doesn't have any interest in Metal and is also big into his folk, among other things, but he appreciates it in a sense.

I reckon my music tastes and open-mindedness was quite extensive compared to most other children when I was, say... 12. And now I'm in college, and I'm up to my torso in all types of shit!
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    Again, that was through my brother, he was a boards user sinse 2001 I believe. It was more just out of becoming a member of Boards in order to use the video game forums, as well as wrestling, and I just started visiting R&M over time.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    Good discussion and helpful information on gigs, albums, interesting nincompoopery a way of exploring new Rock and Metal bands that I haven't listened to yet. Also it's more friendly that a lot of other Metal forums out on the Interweb, far less arseholes.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Studenting, as my dad calls it. I am a second year Business Studies student, that covers stuff like Commerce, Economics, Markerting, Administration and Management, Accounting (manual and eAccounts), Technician, Quantitative Methods, Communications, IT, and all that jazz. FUCKING METAL!!! \m/ :o I commute from my hometown of Shercock everyday, so I waste a lot of time on Boards through my phone (and no, my location was not just a clever name :pac:). I also work as an Accounting Technician on a part-time basis with a local engineering firm here in County Cavan.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Good question. That's a tough one, if it's Rock and Metal only it would be between PanterA's Great Southern Trendkill, Faith No More's Angel Dust, Immortal's Sons Of Northern Darkness, Down's N.O.L.A, Fear Factory's Demanufacture, Kyuss' Welcome To Sky Valley or Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante.

Not really narrowing anything down, but it's probably going to be Angel Dust, it's just such a complete album, some awesome song on it. Angel Dust isn't just a Metal album though, it has numerous genre's and they do each of them brilliantly, that type of thing sets you up for the likes of Disco Volante which is what broadens the mind. They have everything from Funk Metal to Country ballads, Industrial Metal, Death Metal, Japanese Synth Rock, Alternative, Piano Pop ballads, Easy Listening Soundtrack themes and Dirty Wahwah Rock with Cheerleaders :p. You just don't do that on one album, and so well!
    Where did your username come from?
    A WWF Wrestler from back in the day, when it was the WWF, notable for his prison inmate attire and feud with Big Boss Man, among other authority figures. This dude right here;

15.jpg

Won't be able to answer the other two for a day or two, because I just don't have the time I'm afraid, sorry lads! I have exams on today and for the rest of the week, so I hope you can forgive. ;)

Are you one of those Man Utd fans for whom football was only invented in 1992 or are you familiar with names like Ralph Milne and Gary Birtles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mike Patton or Chuck Mosley?:pac:

Nailz wrote: »
    Good question.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If you could see just one band at the height of their live performance ability, who would it be and why?

Have you ever slated a band in public for so long that you were too ashamed to admit that you actually liked one of their songs? :P

Name 10 songs that in your opinion the recording artists should just erase every trace of its existence and why would you choose the songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you play any instruments? What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Since you're a former/current Wrestling fan, I wonder what was your most memorable Rock and Metal entrance theme used in the period you watch/ed?

• Advertisement

Numina wrote: »
    What's the most excited you've been about something Rock/Metal? (Like announcements, gigs, purchases or whatever)
    To be quite honest, and this may get a tad repetitive as I answer more questions, but it must have been when Mike Patton's agent announced at a press conference for Crank 2: High Voltage that Faith No More would be reforming and they would be doing a European tour, then the mass excitement that built afterwards hoping they'd play Ireland - and eventually doing so.
    Numina wrote: »
    In terms of musical ingenuity or smart business decisions, who do you think is the smartest in the genre and why?
    From a smart business decisions perspective, as that's the easiest for me to judge upon I would probably have to say Dee Snider of Twisted Sister has been the smartest businessman in the whole of Rock and Metal, I wouldn't claim to be a big fan of their music, although I do like some of their stuff mildly, but Dee is a shroud businessman in the proper sense of the term and is masterful in PR and publicity. He has taken some very outspoken positions on certain debatable subjects, he advertises his band as best he can with what he's got, watch any general Metal based documentary and you'll probably see Dee Snider on it (as well as Scott Ian, it must be said) and also played his cards right in entering the opposition to the PMRC along side Frank Zappa and Co. over that censorship debate back in the 80's.

I hope that's the question you were asking anyway.

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    It's between Fear Factory "Mechanize", John Zorn's Moonchild "Ipsissimus" or Mike Patton "Mondo Cane". It's probably Mechanize, was praying that it wasn't going to be a let-down and it ended up kicking arse. Was quite delighted with that purchase to be honest.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    Ozzy Osbourne supported by Black Label Society, in the Point, forget the year but it's at least 5 years ago anyway.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    Well that's easy and hard at the same time; it's groups like the Blackout, Paramore, My Chemical Romance and all that bollocks, the hard part is choosing which one I hate the most.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Soccer quite a bit, I am on Atheism and Agnosticism a lot but I rarely post there, I poke my head into After Hours the odd time but it's generally chaos in there so I tend to avoid it, I read the video games forums on occasion as well as Conspiracy Theories (because I find it interesting ;)) and I post in a good few of the other Music forums.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    Metal more so. I am not picky though, I'm fairly open-minded when it comes to all types of music but if I had to narrow any of them down it would be along the lines of Avant Garde Metal, Brutal Death Metal, and Thrash. A notable mention to Experimental Metal, Black Metal, Groove Metal, Stoner and Sludge too.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    Dimebag, of course! Abbath from Immortal, Oderus Urungus from Gwar, Bobby Blitz from Overkill and Les Claypool from Primus.
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Billy Gould - Bass
    Dimebag - Lead/Rhythm Guitar
    Trey Azagthoth - Lead/Rhythm Guitar
    Barney Greenway - Vocals
    Vinnie Paul - Drums

Terribly unbalanced but who gives a fuck!? :)
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    Slayer, Megadeth close second.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?
    I was actually quite disappointed with "Belus" by Burzum last year (second last album), I know lads who like it and a couple who don't, so I got the impression it received a mixed reception. But it wasn't what I was expecting and I just was let down by it, it ultimately had little-to-no impact on me as an avid Black Metal listener and this is an artist I consider one of my favourites in the genre.

Are you one of those Man Utd fans for whom football was only invented in 1992 or are you familiar with names like Ralph Milne and Gary Birtles?
    Man, you have no idea how much you made me role-eyes there. No, I am not one of those fans, thankfully, upon my many many visits to Old Trafford and you could pick out an Irish day tripper a mile away and almost embarrass me to be almost judged through those dudes.

And I am well aware of those footballers, not the most popular or most effective lads to have ever played at OT, haven't seen them play too many games though, as I'm still only a gawson, but I do pick out the archives as often as I can. I know Gary Birtles more so from being an in-and-out player for a very good Nottingham Forest team. And just so you know I am a former season ticket holder at Old Trafford, so you came barking up the wrong tree. ;)

Having said all that, Liverpool have those fans in abundance too, typical ignorant Scouse question. :rolleyes: :p

lord lucan wrote: »
    Mike Patton or Chuck Mosley?:pac:
    Patton :). In all fairness Chuck had some great songs with FNM, but even Patton performs them better - albeit with a little less soul and passion as Mosley would have sang it - eg. The Crab Song;

Plus Mike is a far more unpredictable frontman, he does some weird ass shit man, I remember seeing a video of him singing "Jizzlobber" and shoved his finger up his *cough* when roaring the "I'M SORRY" part, can pull it up for you if you wish, it's quite astonishing. Not to mention he's just a great musician, some great bands and broad horizons, like what else has Chuck done apart from his very "meh" work with Cement, and his only recently released album "Will Rap Over Hard Rock For Food", which was the first thing he done in over a decade and a half and surprisingly wasn't half bad.

Edit: Will answer the rest tomorrow, finishing my last exam tomorrow so I need a bit of sleep for an early commute, sorry lads!

I hope that's the question you were asking anyway.

It certainly does, very good answer. I should probably split the question into 2 and ask 1 for musical ingenuity and 1 for smart business decisions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Which do you prefer,digital download or vinyl/cd's from bricks and mortar record stores?

Nailz have you forgotten about this thread? :P

WHOOPS! Just a sec... :o I was looking forward to this thread for so long and now I've neglected it, I'm a horrible person :).

Pyr0 wrote: »
    If you could see just one band at the height of their live performance ability, who would it be and why?
    Probably PanterA, if the crowd moves you move with them, the music is so aggressive you want to go with it bust some heads, not too mention the riffs are so good and so "big" it could fill any venue with it.
    Have you ever slated a band in public for so long that you were too ashamed to admit that you actually liked one of their songs? :P
    Ha! Cheeky question, oddly enough I never had - I always admit to liking something with confidence despite not necessarily liking the band, having said that if some Emo tossboxes ever release anything worth listening too I might keep it to myself. :P
    Name 10 songs that in your opinion the recording artists should just erase every trace of its existence and why would you choose the songs?
    That's a tough one man, I'll do my best to answer it.

Metallica's "Enter Sandman". I personally find it difficult to like that song, yet it's the some that is used to define Metallica now, I don't have much time for a lot of the Black Album or a lot of the newer stuff, I see "Enter Sandman" as the turning point.

QOTSA's "Make It Wit Chu". Fucking annoying song.

Morbid Angel's "I'm Morbid"/"Too Extreme". The album isn't even released yet, but they will mark the end for Morbid Angel, sadly, unless they can apply some cop on and stop being a parody of Death Metal which they might be becoming.

Slipknot's "Dead Memories". Just an awful 'Made for Kerrang!' bollocks.

Audioslave's "Cochise". I don't like Audioslave and this song is to blame probably, total rip off of "I'm Broken", not in the least bit impressed.

Fun Lovin' Criminals' "Scooby Snacks". I know it's not R&M, but I'm running out of idea's here. I just don't like how people can assume such a good band to be a one-hit-wonder because they're only arsed to listen to the one song - all there songs are totally different from that.

Can you settle for 7 man? I got nothing else.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you play any instruments? What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?
    Yes I do, my primary instrument would be the bass, I fucking love bass, my favourite basses are my Ibanez SRX360-NT and my 6-String Peavey Grind Fretless here;

225595_1834380709860_1550717730_31946127_4458094_n.jpg

I also play drums, guitar, and keyboard. One instrument I would absolutely adore playing would be saxophone. Why, you ask? So I could play like the musical genius that is John Zorn, Avant Garde master.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?
    "Enemy Of The Music Business" by Napalm Death, not that it's even consider a bad album, but once a band makes so many exceptional albums as Napalm Death has, certain albums tend to get overlooked and even disregarded, which is a shame because it's a brilliant album in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Since you're a former/current Wrestling fan, I wonder what was your most memorable Rock and Metal entrance theme used in the period you watch/ed?
    Has to be D-Generation X's entrance theme, the obvious choice but it just reminded very much of Rage Against the Machine, cool riff. I remember in secondary school some blithering idiot from Dublin (sorry about the distinction, I forget his name and the only thing I can remember about him is that he's dim, yet arrogant, and that he's from Dublin) trying to tell me that RAtM done that entrance theme despite me knowing that Chris Warren preformed it, and he said it with such arrogance and he assumed me to be wrong and dumb because I disagreed with him. Nobody liked the cunt anyway.

Eh... Sorry about that, ignore my demons. :pac:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Which do you prefer,digital download or vinyl/cd's from bricks and mortar record stores?
    Hard copies from bricks and mortar record stores, definitely. I just love the personalisation of going in and buying music from a music man behind the counter, sure, you mightn't have everything you want there but that's the fun of it, go on a search for that album. The convenience is all well and good, but it's not the same. Digital downloads confuses the line between a good and a service - with no hard copy it doesn't feel like a good to me, easily forgettable and intangible.

You can always put you CD's/vinyl's on you computer anyway. Then you have store with character, places like Tower Records, Sound Celler, Borderline Record, all of them specialise in difference types of cool **** and you'll always be able to find what you like with knowledgeable musicheads behind the counter who enjoy a nice chat with, spread tastes and talk music - you don't get that on any DD website.

Any unknown bands that you're familiar with that you'd like to share?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish metal scene?

Any unknown bands that you're familiar with that you'd like to share?
    Big fan of an up and coming Doom band called Dark Castle, it's cool stuff, two piece, guitarist and a drummer.

I'm friends with a Black(ish) Metal band from Virginia in Cavan called Wound Upon Wound (probably the name's taken from the Gorgoroth song, but I can't be sure on that), they've supported a lot of Death and Black Metal bands whenever coming over, aswell Warpath and the likes, they frequent those Extreme Metal nights that Fibbers have every-so-often.

Do you keep up to date with the Irish metal scene?
    I'm not the best at it in fairness, although I go see what I can. I'm quite intouch with the North East Metal scene in Cavan, Monaghan and Louth, I'm in the ideal location for it. I know plenty of bands in Cavan town, Castleblaney/Carrickmacross/Monaghan town, and also around Dundalk and Drogheda. Came across some good bands over time, like Speedking, Paradym, Wound Upon Wound as mentioned, Unholy Alliance — who sound like Slayer, surprise surprise, Redneck Nuns, who have now disbanded, Saint Slaughter, Brown Sound (not Metal, but good), I'd Fight Gandhi, and bands like Black Swan and Words That Burn, if you're into that generic stuff that you hear on WWE.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yo bro... If you could choose one to reform and play together again who would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Morbid Angel's "I'm Morbid"/"Too Extreme". The album isn't even released yet, but they will mark the end for Morbid Angel, sadly, unless they can apply some cop on and stop being a parody of Death Metal which they might be becoming.

I haven't heard the album yet myself but i've gone from really looking forward to seeing them at Hellfest to kinda dreading it going on the general opinion of the album so far.

cournioni wrote: »
    Yo bro... If you could choose one to reform and play together again who would it be?
    Hey bro, cheers for the question! That's a tough question, considering the choice of artists, but I'm fairly certain it would have to be Mr. Bungle — as you probably could've guessed I would have said yourself :p. They are just a great band in my opinion, great music, surreal live shows and generally odd. It's hard to believe such a talented group of musicians befriended each other at a small High School and started playing together around 15/16 years of age, especially considering the type of music they played. The main members all had a great musical career outside of Bungle too, like Trevor Dunn, Trey Spruance, "Bär" McKinnon, Mike Patton and Danny Heifetz.

The thing is I can never see it happening, none of them are even bothered with it anymore and have expressed that they don't want to get back together, even though they've all crossed each others paths musically since Bungle split up; Trevor plays in Fantômas with Mike, in Trey's band Secret Chiefs 3, in Bär's band Ümlaut; Bär & Danny, along with Trevor, have also played in Secret Chiefs 3; and they've all played together in different combinations at one stage or another whilst working under John Zorn, especially Zorn's improv bands like Cobra.

Plus, they just don't have the financial backing to persuade them back into tour together again, unlike, say, Mike might have had with the Faith No More reunion, surely there must have been good money in it and that possibly played a factor. Avant Garde is not popular and that's the hard truth of it, most people find it as a genre intolerable, incoherent, random, aggrivating, annoying, highly unpleasant to listen to, not in good taste and downright repulsive. Avant Garde bands find it hard to develope massive fanbases in any one area so they find it hard to pull in a crowd when touring, this is one of the many reasons why Zorn rarely leaves New York, Jazz festivals being one of few exceptions and he doesn't play many of them either. Same goes for other artists like Zu, Kaada, Merzbow and Yamatsuka Eye. It's still very much so underground and that's not going to change any time soon, and Ireland's certainly not the place for this type of music, I don't mean to sound elitist, but the music here is awfully primitive. Ah well...

Here's one of my favourite Mr. Bungle songs, it is split into two, the second part is called the "Secret Song" or "Spy". It starts at the end of "Carry Stress In The Jaw" around 4:40, I love that part of the track. Great drumming during "Carry Stress In The Jew", very odd type of percussion techniques.

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Nailz for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement