Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #18 - Denny M

Options
  • 31-05-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Denny M.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

First metal band I listened to was Rammstein. We had this little grey box thing for the tv that gave us a load of German channels, and got a sort of German MTV. Every so often Rammstein would pop up among pop songs, it started it off realistically. Young and impressionable :P What keeps me interested in it is just that I love the sound. I can't listen to dance/trance music for any long stretch of time, but I could listen to rock or (more likely) metal all day long.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    A friend of mine mentioned boards a fair bit to me, so I figured after a while I'd see what it was like. Had a gander around the main site, saw there was a Rock & Metal section and figured: "Why not?"
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    Checking up for news on stuff mainly. Threads like the Upcoming Releases thread, or the Future Gigs have been helpful for finding upcoming things I might enjoy. The banter in the threads can also be fun, and it's easier to chat about stuff here than with some of my friends offline, most don't listen to quite what I do.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Now that it's summer, I spend a good bit of my time playing computer games on either PS3 or PC, or else I watch TV shows online (main one of late being rewatching old Pokemon episodes :P). I also enjoy reading, and right now I'm reading the Grey Knights omnibus, based on the Warhammer 40k world.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Hard to say really. I suppose it would have to be either Roots by Sepultura or Incineratehymn by Deicide. Roots because it was the first proper metal album I listened to in full after getting a lend of it off a friend, and Incineratehymn because it was the first death metal album I heard, a genre that has become my personal favourite.
    Where did your username come from?
    Around the time I started Secondary school, some friends started calling me Denny for a nickname. It began to stick, and by the time I was finishing up in school, it had stuck to the point that a good few of my teachers were calling me it too, so it kinda became habit to use it for stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you play any instruments? What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you play any instruments? What instrument would you love to instantly be able to play and why?

I don't play anything, it's just something I guess I haven't gotten around to learning yet. The instrument I'd love to be able to play would be the drums, cause it'd be great to potentially make a career out of hitting stuff with sticks, and being able to do it well.
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Waking the Fallen by Avenged Sevenfold. They may get flak for their music nowadays, but I loved this album, back when they still had screaming. I don't hate the band, and I can still listen to them occasionally, but I don't think any of their other albums is as good as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Denny M wrote: »
    Waking the Fallen by Avenged Sevenfold. They may get flak for their music nowadays, but I loved this album, back when they still had screaming. I don't hate the band, and I can still listen to them occasionally, but I don't think any of their other albums is as good as this one.

Great Shout!

Do you actually like deicide or was the posting in AOTW just for the laugh as it irritated people :P ?

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Do you actually like deicide or was the posting in AOTW just for the laugh as it irritated people :P ?
    Yeah, I do like them. Like I said in response to one of Malice's questions, Incineratehymn was the first death metal album I got listening to properly, and I also own Scars of the Crucifix, Legion and their When Satan Lives live album.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Who is your favourite and least favourite of the big 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Good poster!

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

Who is your favourite and least favourite of the big 4?

Favourite would probably be Slayer. I only really listen to them or Anthrax, but it's not all that often. Least favourite is Megadeath, there is just something about Mustaine's voice that annoys me.

Nailz wrote: »
    Good poster!

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

Hmm.. This takes a bit of thought.. I guess I'd have Euronymous (Mayhem) on guitar, Dead (Mayhem) on vocals, Vitek (Decapitated) on drums and Roger Patterson (Atheist) on bass. Name would be something like "Living to Spite Death".
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.
    Drums, and probably something like this:

Though anything by them would be awesome.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?
    Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity by Type O Negative. First Type O song I heard, and I fell in love with.
    Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?
    Yep, I wear a good few tshirts and the like. Favourites are probably a Misery Index "Pulling out the nails tour" t-shirt, Anaal Nathrakh "Do Not Speak" hoodie, with the 1984 quote on the back, or a Rage Against the Machine t-shirt I got when they played at Oxegen, the only time I've ever gone to that festival.
    What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.
    I don't really have one. I rarely watch movies any more, and the few I do watch have soundtracks I rarely notice to a great degree.
    Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?
    A Loathing Requiem. One man band, had an EP around '08 but didn't get a full length out until 2010.

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Not really. The world can give me so many reasons to be angry on its own, it doesn't need music to help it :pac:
    Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

I guess I am. I never really think about it, but I guess I do have a few of the things associated with metal, long hair, facial piercings, and more often than not I'm wearing a band hoodie or t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What are your feelings on bands like Sepultura, Alice In Chains and Machine Head in the sense of what they did for 90s Metal and the legacy they've left behind today?

Are you a fan of Grunge, in whatever sense you define Grunge to be (i.e. do you see Grunge = Nirvana or do you feel it has more of a root in Punk music and was defined by bands like Sonic Youth and Green River)?

What is the last CD you purchased and why did you buy that particular one?

Do you attend many rock and metal gigs and, if so, what are some of your favourite memories?

What are your feelings on bands like Sepultura, Alice In Chains and Machine Head in the sense of what they did for 90s Metal and the legacy they've left behind today?

I love Sepultura and Machine Head. Sepultura were great in their thrash days, Beneath the Remains was a great album. Machine Head too, although the Nu Metal sort of a phase they had was less than stellar. I guess I listen to a fair few bands who were around the 90s, and most of those did a lot for their genres, expanding heavily on the genres started already by other bands, and I love them for it.
    Are you a fan of Grunge, in whatever sense you define Grunge to be (i.e. do you see Grunge = Nirvana or do you feel it has more of a root in Punk music and was defined by bands like Sonic Youth and Green River)?
    I could never stand grunge. The sound of it often seemed too drab and dull to me.
    What is the last CD you purchased and why did you buy that particular one?
    For myself, I think it was either Heirs to Thievery by Misery Index, or Maree Noire by Beneath The Massacre, both from bands I love.
    Last actual CD I bought was Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly, got as a gift for my mother :pac:
    Do you attend many rock and metal gigs and, if so, what are some of your favourite memories?
    Yeah, I've gone to a lot of concerts, seen something like 30 or 40 bands so far. Memories that stick out are: Children of Bodom this year, catching Jaska's drumstick, Marduk/Anaal Nathrakh concert, when V.I.T.R.I.O.L jumped into the crowd and just went nuts, and Misery Index gig last year when The Rotted's lead singer was walking around after their set, selling their EP, getting to chat to him cause I love that band since I heard Gorerotted too.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Digital download or a CD/Vinyl from a bricks and mortar store?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

Probably Rise Against. Me and a friend went to see them in the Academy, and cause we were staying in a hostel, figured we'd wait around after the gig, got to meet the whole band.
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Oli Sykes. His band is part of the reason deathcore gets a bad name, and they guy himself is a gigantic tool. Plus I still haven't forgiven him for the "Napalm Death aren't grindcore" thing from Terrorizer.

Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy. Great vocalist, and hot :D

What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Hmm.. Probably "Tomb of the Mutilated" by Cannibal Corpse, or "Butchered at Birth" by the same band. I just love the over the top gore on them. :pac:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Digital download or a CD/Vinyl from a bricks and mortar store?
    I prefer to own the actual CD. I like having something to put into a stereo or whatever, while with downloads you'd have to go out and get blank CDs to burn to do that.

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Oh, I wonder where I got those questions from? :pac:

Nailz wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

Heirs to Thievery by Misery Index, love this band, and this album.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

Avenged Sevenfold in The Ambassador, back in 2006 I think it was.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Bring Me The Horizon. Can't stand their music, or their lead singer :pac:
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

After Hours, Pokemon, Pro-Wrestling, Minecraft and occasionally Zombie Survival.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

Metal, and my favourite genre is Death metal.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

George Fisher, Jason Netherton, Dave Hunt, Mark Greenway and John Gallagher.
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Decapitated, Misery Index and Dying Fetus. Wouldn't even care what order they would play in :pac:
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Slayer. I'm not a fan of Megadeth or Metallica, and I haven't listened to a whole pile of Anthrax, though I prefer them to Megadeth or Metallica.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Morbid Angel's newest. Listened to bits of it online, and it has just done nothing for me.
    Oh, I wonder where I got those questions from? :pac:
    :pac:

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

I'd have to say Power metal. I don't really like the vocals in it, about the only power metal band I can say I like is Kamelot, and I don't really listen to them that often.
    What was your favourite gig this year?

Only gigs I've gone to in 2011 so far were Children of Bodom and My Dying Bride, but I have to say I preferred CoB. Much more active :p
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

Haven't gotten any concerts set in stone, but I'm thinking of going to Flogging Molly in August, and maybe the Dublin Doom Day in September.
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

I don't really watch it that much, though if I had to give one suggestion, I'd say Vile Regression. Listened to a small bit of their stuff, and I have to say I like them.
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?

Cannibal Corpse. Absolutely love them, though Dying Fetus and Misery Index aren't too far off.
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

Concerts are one of my favourite aspects. I pretty much always enjoy myself at them, it's a great time. I don't like the scenester style in genres like deathcore. It may seem elitist, but it's just something that I really don't like.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Guns N' Roses. Particularly the current incarnation of the band. They just never really appealed to me I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Just out of curiosity what twenty metal bands do you really hate? And what twenty metal bands do you love?

• Advertisement

First the ones I hate:
    Bring Me The Horizon
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    iwrestledabearonce
    Five Finger Death Punch
    Trivium
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Linkin Park (though you could put most nu metal in here)
    Manowar
    Porcupine Tree
    Dragonforce
    Brokencyde
    Mastodon
    Dillinger Escape Plan

I really can't think of any more, some of those were more a general dislike than a hatred. I don't tend to go out of my way to find new bands to hate :p

And ones I love:
    Cannibal Corpse
    Dying Fetus
    Misery Index
    Mayhem
    Anaal Nathrakh
    Children of Bodom
    Sepultura
    Napalm Death
    Type O Negative
    Deicide
    Arch Enemy
    Cephalic Carnage
    Beneath The Massacre
    Decapitated
    Suffocation
    The Rotted
    Carcass
    Impaled Nazarene
    Shining
    God Dethroned

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Denny M wrote: »
    First the ones I hate:
    Bring Me The Horizon
    iwrestledabearonce
    Five Finger Death Punch
    Trivium
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Linkin Park (though you could put most nu metal in here)
    Manowar
    Dragonforce
    Brokencyde
    Mastodon
    Dillinger Escape Plan

Great choices there, I can't stand any of those bands myself.

Any more questions there folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

on what album would you have loved to have beeen a fly on the wall ?

on what album would you have loved to have beeen a fly on the wall ?

Scream Bloody Gore by Death. One of the first proper death metal albums, by one of the original death metal bands. It'd be an amazing experience I reckon.

Last call for questions?

The Pixies, opinions...

Can't say I listen to them really. I prefer metal, so they wouldn't really come into my scope at all.

I tried to resist the temptation to post a Pixies video but in the end I cracked...

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Denny M for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

There goes my gun the thread ;).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement