Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Retirement

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

I am considering retiring from the game after a disastrous outing in a local competition over the weekend.
    After shooting a miserable 126 i think i need to look at a different sport

i did try to digest some of the bob rotella books afterwards in an attempt to refocus but found myself even more disillussioned

i have the game and all the necessary equipment to play off very low digits (target is under 5 this year) but there does seem to be something crucial missing.

Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭Trampas

did you leave the 7 iron at home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You want to go from shooting 126 to breaking 80.

I suggest pitch and putt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

even the 7 iron deserted me..
    it was an extremely embarrassing day for me as I was decked out in the new poulter range and had been talking up my game bigtime in recent days
    i did consider getting an injury mid-round but my credibility would have been destroyed completely had i limped off

obviously i claimed to be suffering from a touch of sun stroke but most people back at the 19th were not interested
    i fear it will take me the entire summer to gain back the respect of my club mates
    although at this point i'm not sure i wish to continue my commitment to golf

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

conno16 wrote: »
    it was an extremely embarrassing day for me as I was decked out in the new poulter range and had been talking up my game bigtime in recent days
    i did consider getting an injury mid-round but my credibility would have been destroyed completely had i limped off

obviously i claimed to be suffering from a touch of sun stroke but most people back at the 19th were not interested
    i fear it will take me the entire summer to gain back the respect of my club mates
    although at this point i'm not sure i wish to continue my commitment to golf

54 over par and you are talking about playing off of 5?
    what are you playing off now? (I#m guessing 22?)

no i have been playing solidly from jan to early april - usually about 8 - 10 over par.
    my official handicap is 10.2
    however in last few outings i have begun to struggle, culminating in my 126 round this weekend
    now i am worried that mentally i am damaged goods
    most of the blokes at the club will now feel that i have major inadequacies on the course and will not fear going head-to-head with me in a back 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

is it one part of your game that is gone?

no, all parts - driver to lob wedge
    except putting - i'm still sinking everything within 20 feet about 90% of the time (which is acceptable as far as i'm concerned)

no i have been playing solidly from jan to early april - usually about 8 - 10 over par.
    my official handicap is 10.2
    however in last few outings i have begun to struggle, culminating in my 126 round this weekend
    now i am worried that mentally i am damaged goods
    most of the blokes at the club will now feel that i have major inadequacies on the course and will not fear going head-to-head with me in a back 9

Sounds like a snotty club...!!!
    If your playing off 10 then I don't know why your worried as I am sure your game will be back the next time you play.
    Think about enjoying the game rather than shooting a score.

no, all parts - driver to lob wedge
    except putting - i'm still sinking everything within 20 feet about 90% of the time (which is acceptable as far as i'm concerned)

Ok this must be a joke...sinking 90% of putts within 20ft?
    tiger woods cant do that.
    r on the whacky tobacco last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I'm guessing that the stable door may have been swinging open for quite a while there conno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

It's probably the course that isn't suiting you. Your mind is in the right place and you've got the correct equipment,

Hang in there a few more weeks and you'll be shooting par in no time.

If not..it could be your playing partners fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This has to be a wind up, you cant go from playing solidly, off ten handicap, to having on average of a triple bogey on every single hole. Jeebus wept, I struggle for consistency, but even I could never manage that! Get them Poulter gladrags back on yerself and stop yer messing!

no wind-up here
    this is a very serious matter to me - i have invested much time and financial resources to become a powerhouse at my local club
    that status is now in tatters

i prob need to sell all my stuff and start a fresh - have people found that this has worked in the past?

i have invested much time and financial resources to become a powerhouse at my local club
    that status is now in tatters

i prob need to sell all my stuff and start a fresh - have people found that this has worked in the past?

Ok, I'll take your post at face value, but your language is gas, what does being a powerhouse at your local club even mean??

If you are talking about changing all your gear, forget it. Address the issue, you had been playing well with the current equipment, there is nothing wrong with the equipment. Didn't you recently post something about losing shots with the introduction of hybrids??!!

If I was you, I would take a 7 iron (or similar) and putter and head out some quiet evening and play a few holes. Dont use tees or anything, just hit nice gentle shots, all the time, dont hit the ball hard, try hitting it at 80% and try feeling the club head in your swing. Take in your surroundings - more often than not a golf course is a nice place to be and its a privilege to play golf. Concentrate on enjoying yourself. Forget about scores for a while, and concentrate on a nice relaxed frame of mind, and swing. You'll be back in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I think your real problem is that you’re setting your sights too low – why stop at 5? This lack of ambition and playing with inferior players with handicaps of 3 and 4 is doing you no good at all.

Aim to get to scratch or even into plus figures this year, head to the states in 2012 and play in the US amateur championships where the triple figure scores from your home club can be put down to vicious rumours designed to portray you in a poor light. Your poluter-esque clothing can be your signature, but maybe tailor the colours to emphasise your irish roots. A successful campaign there and the 2013 Masters is in your grasp!

playing a round of golf with a putter and a 7-iron is not good practice in my opinion
    if i were to end up in a bunker and needed 10/15 shots to get back in play that would leave my mental condition in a very delicate state

i think the fresh start has to be the way forward
    new clubs, new identity

Yeah, ur prob right. Make sure you get the blade irons, you don't want the equipment to be holding you back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

playing a round of golf with a putter and a 7-iron is not good practice in my opinion
    if i were to end up in a bunker and needed 10/15 shots to get back in play that would leave my mental condition in a very delicate state

i think the fresh start has to be the way forward
    new clubs, new identity

How would you know..you cant break 120. Take up knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

phil-mickelson.jpg

Throw it out of the bunker, or bring a spade or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Conno, tbh I think you're probably the best and most enjoyable troll out there...keep up with the good work. Regarding the 126 off 5..perhaps brain surgery?

some positive encouragement or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I would suggest you take less shots........

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

some positive encouragement or suggestions would be appreciated.

Change your name, get rid of the pouter gear and get a second hand old style set of clubs and leather bag. Then leave and rejoin the club under a new name, possibly with a scottish accent. Get a 40 handicap by starting at 18 and working it up in comps over 5 years.

Then in year six, BANG, turn back on the style get the gear out and go for it. Comp wins all over the place and you're the hero of the 19th again.

Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Conno I suggest you seek a sponsorship deal Tampax as you are going through such a rough period!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

No mention of the obvious, i.e. getting a few lessons......definitely a troll.

not sure a local pro will be of any significant help - this is more a psychological barrier
    i will undoubtedly book a consultation though - think i have a voucher from a few years ago which is still valid
    normally i'm the bloke down at the range showing auld geysers how to hit the sweet spot
    role reversal - again my credibility will be weakened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

gone-fishin1.jpg

Conno, nicely done... The rest - I'm very disappointed in you all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

not sure a local pro will be of any significant help - this is more a psychological barrier
    i will undoubtedly book a consultation though - think i have a voucher from a few years ago which is still valid
    normally i'm the bloke down at the range showing auld geysers how to hit the sweet spot
    role reversal - again my credibility will be weakened

Don't understand why you're so concerned about what other people think. If you were capable of playing off 10 up to recently, there can't be too much wrong with your game that any good golf pro can't help you to identify and fix.
    In my experience it's the ability to concentrate on each shot in the game that separates the weekend scrubbers from the low men. So never mind advising the old geysers or anyone else - that's not your job anyway - you're not qualified to do it and it's just a distraction from concentrating on what you are doing.
    Take a leaf from what the tour pros do - they are always getting golf coaching - so what makes you so special that you (or indeed all golfers) don't need regular feedback from a qualified expert on what's going wrong? You can then fix the problem yourself.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Forgive me for posting this picture of you but it is clear what is wrong.

3575375564_79ab90dca8.jpg

Your left arm is way too bent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement