Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #16 - Voltwad

Options
  • 06-04-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Voltwad.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

What are your absolute twenty favourite metal albums?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Ever been to any Rock/Metal festivals over seas? If so, which was your favorite and why?

If you could push one lead singer off a cliff, who would it be?

If one band you love who are mega famous and recognized didn't exist just so one other band you love could receive that kind of recognition, who would it be and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

Two things. My Dad is still the biggest rocker I know so he takes a lot of responsibility for that. Secondly, I grew up watching WWF and I always loved the rock songs from that :)
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I listen to a lot of bands that don't get publicity over here so the same as a lot of you, I wanted to find people to talk about those bands with.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

It's a good source for finding out news without scampering the net. I don't post as often here as I'd like but I do my fare share of lurking and I like reading reviews in particular as it opens me up to new music.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I've a hectic life with college at the moment. Currently preparing my thesis. Also a season ticket holder at Shamrock Rovers FC.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

InMe's 'White Butterfly' by a mile. As a teenager I wore my heart on my sleeve and that album sums up a lot of the feelings I had/thought I had at the time.
    Where did your username come from?

I was stuck for a name so used some stupid Pokemon name generator thing. Hoping to get a full account soon so I can change it to something a bit more badass.

Cheers for getting the ball rolling Malice

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

Alter Bridge's 'ABIII' with Stone Sour's 'Audio Secrecy' a close second.

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

Chili Peppers w/ The Pixies in the Phoenix Park.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Hate is a strong word. Kid Rock takes the biscuit.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Pro Wrestling, Soccer and Politics would be my 3 main areas.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    Rock. I'm still submerged by the whole Seattle grunge era of the early 90's but also like a lot of the post-grunge that's spiralled out of that.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Dave McPherson, Arnold Lanni, Sharon Den Edel, Myles Kennedy, David Draiman.

My dream line up would be:

Deep Purple (Blackmore included)
    Alice In Chains
    Our Lady Peace
    InMe
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    Not big into any of them. Used to play in a band with 3 major 'Tallica fans but they drove me to find them annoying with overplaying them. Still, I'd appreciate them more than the other three.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Coheed and Cambria's 'Year of the Black Rainbow'

:)

What are your absolute twenty favourite metal albums?

Can you clarify if you mean just metal? Or rock/metal.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Ever been to any Rock/Metal festivals over seas? If so, which was your favorite and why?

No unfortunately :(
    If you could push one lead singer off a cliff, who would it be?
    Easy question :) Justin Hawkins
    If one band you love who are mega famous and recognized didn't exist just so one other band you love could receive that kind of recognition, who would it be and why?

Tough one. Any band I really like deserves their status as far as I'm concerned. There's a huge number of bands I think deserve so much attention but to take away from the hard work of another or to wish any of them didn't exist? I'll pass on that one.

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

John Bonham - Drums
    Kurt Cobain - Guitar/Vocals
    Dimebag - Lead Guitar
    John Glascock - Bass
    Layne Staley - Lead Vocals

I'd call them 'Angels Losing Sleep'
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

I wish I had the patience and time to learn guitar properly. I've been at bass nearly 8 years now and still only dabble with a crappy acoustic every once in a while. If I could play guitar then I'd be able to jump straight into Dan Donegan's solo from Disturbed's 'Stricken'.
    What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?
    Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming - Deep Purple. It's the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.
    Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?
    I have quite a few band tees, haven't had a hoody for years. My tee collection takes up a full section of my wardrobe. Some of my favourites would be my Alexisonfire 'Drunks, Lovers, Sinners & Saints' tee, an InMe tee I've had since I was 14 and still wear the odd time and my I Am Ghost tee which is a collector's item :)
    What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

What The Hell Have I? - Alice In Chains. From Last Action Hero
    Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?

It would have been Glyder but they've disbanded too :(
    Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?
    Probably. I have a lot of time to think on bus journeys etc so sometimes a certain lyric will stick with me for a while. Songs that are introspective with their words can have a profound effect on me I feel, never a bad one though.

Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

I'm not sure I understand this one. I don't belong to any group per sé. I'm a rocker at heart but I enjoy many forms of music from Mozart to Mt. Eden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Voltwad wrote: »
    Can you clarify if you mean just metal? Or rock/metal.

Just metal.;)

Just metal.;)

In no particular order:

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
    Disturbed - Believe
    Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires
    Chimaira - Impossibility of Reason
    Disturbed - The Sickness
    Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
    Hurt - Vol. 1.
    Rammstein - Reise, Reise
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Trivium - Ascendancy
    Deathstars - Termination Bliss
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    Rainbow - Rainbow
    System of a Down - Mezmerize
    Slipknot - Iowa
    Drowning Pool - Sinner
    System of a Down - Toxicity
    Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Within Temptation - The Silent Force

Bear in mind this list would be a lot different if it was a rock/metal question

Have you kept up with InMe's recent releases and, if so, what do you think of them?

Have you kept up with InMe's recent releases and, if so, what do you think of them?
    I have. They've completely changed from what they started out as and I personally like the way the band has grown. Daydream Anonymous was fairly mediocre but I really, really enjoyed Herald Moth.

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

Was lucky enough to meet Synester Gates and M. Shadows a few years ago backstage at the RDS. Awesome guys
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

Ozzy stands alone in that respect as a clear mark of what drugs can do to you.

Who would be your favourite metal babe?

Sharon Den Edel, Kerith Telestai, René Phoenix to name but a few
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    Glyder's 'Playground for Life'

Hmm, it seems to be just me posting questions. Come on folks, this is your chance to interrogate Voltwad and find out embarrassing stuff about him (like that he's a closet Pokemon fan) ;).

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What's your favourite pokemon?
    What's your favourite generation?
    Can you ignore Gary Oak's girth?

:pac:

Questions should be Rock & Metal related

But I think it's okay this time, I'm curious to read the answers :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

What instrument would you love to be able to play?
    Are there any albums by well known bands you think are underrated?

• Advertisement

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

Not really, I like and dislike parts of most if not all of them.
    What was your favourite gig this year?

Being a poor student I actually haven't made it to too many, also a lot of my favourite bands never have/never will play over here :(
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Yeah I'm going to see Stone Sour in New York in August, should be sweet! Really want to go to Download but need a partner in crime.
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Really into Xerosun at the moment. Was a big follower of Glyder before they broke up.
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    InMe would probably be it but the answer to that question changes like the weather.
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    My favourite aspect would be the pure diversity of it. That so many sub-genres can exist. Rock/Metal music is infinitely more introspective and deep than other genres.

On the other side of the spectrum, I really cannot stand the whole regurgitated pop-punk ****e that Ireland reeks of at local gigs.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?
    I understand that musical opinions are the most subjective thing out there so not really no.

:cool:

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    What instrument would you love to be able to play?
    Are there any albums by well known bands you think are underrated?

I'd love to be able to play Violin. I've always loved the sound of classical instruments mixed with hard rock.

Purpendicular by Deep Purple often goes under the radar I think. Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming is one of the most incredible songs I've ever heard yet the likes of Smoke on the Water, Black Night et al. get all the attention.

Voltwad you've forgotten these:

:pac:

Psyduck(delic Rock) :pac:

Generation of Pokemon? There's more than 150?

Gary Oak's girth? As in the width of his pokéflute? :P

Voltwad wrote: »
    pokéflute?
    I'd nearly start a whip-round to raise the €5 to get you to change your username to that :).

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Voltwad for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement