Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to buy a tv that'll work with saorview- a few questions

Options
  • 18-03-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a budget- €600 max for a 37 or 40" tv, might as well go for 1080, Full HD.

I'm looking online and amn't 100% sure on many sites if the saorview will work with them.
    If it say's saorview or MPEG-4 then it'll work I understand.
    If supported video format is mp4 is that the same thing/mean it'll work?
    It seems that none on pixmania will work.
    Some sites say built-in Freeview tuner/Freeview digital tuner. I presume these won't work unless it specifies mpeg4/saorview?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'll get a brilliant 42" for under €500

Better size for most rooms than 40" or 37". Minimum really for typical living room.

I wish we had got a 48" rather than 42".

See www.saortv.info and here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Power City's selection of 37+40" http://powercity.ie/?par=10-13-WP3711

The thread Watty linked to is indispensible for information. Many sites & retailers aren't advertising the spec.

The Walker brand is the only Saorview certified.
    I'm not sure what else you're looking for and whether or not Full HD 1080P vs Hd Ready 1080i is that important to you. There's also different Hz refresh rates.

No, many Sony and Samsung now Certified + a Triax box
    See www.saorview.ie
    and http://www.saortv.info/2011/03/16/information-live/

25i, 50p, 24p and 60p are the only important rates. Most HDTVs do all of those. The higher rates are only important in USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I've only seen Walkers with "Saorview Certified" labels on them.

The other models only added this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

watty wrote: »
    You'll get a brilliant 42" for under €500

Any chance of you revealing where watty. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

watty wrote: »
    The other models only added this week.

Where is the triax box available to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Teddy455 wrote: »
    Where is the triax box available to purchase?

TVTrade were taking orders last week (appears to be out of stock atm) - http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html?sef_rewrite=1 (http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/triax-tr112-saorview-approved-set-top-box/)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

I did some asking around at Christmas and found out most of the UK shops now in Ireland have Freeview TV's which will not work with Saorview.

The Irish retailers have moved to their TV's being compliant. I got one (Samsung) which wasn't Saorview certified but was MPEG4 and it works great. MP4 playback is different to the type of tuner.

I found the UK multiples in Ireland useless, after a couple hours online I knew far more about the switchover than they did. If I were you I'd go to a shop (who don't bilk buy for the UK market) and ask questions directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

The Cush wrote: »
    are they available on the triax website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Teddy455 wrote: »
    are they available on the triax website?

Only thru official Irish distributors and retailers it appears - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71111774#post71111774

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I think I almost have it figured out now. Just a few follow-up questions-

1. Is there no solution that will give me Irish and UK/other channels in the one box AND will have PVR (pause, rewind, record)?

2. Would I be right in saying this is the best solution at the moment-

A. buy a Freesat PVR box. With this I can get a load of channels (but not Irish ones) and can pause, rewind, record.
    B. connect an ariel and get my basic Irish channels (or a Saorview box for the wider range of Irish channels).

The two downsides to this are:
    1. I have to switch from AV1 to AV2 when I want to go from Irish channels to UK/other channels.
    2. I can't pause, rewind, record Irish channels.

2. Is there no solution that will give me Irish and UK/other channels in the one box AND will have PVR (pause, rewind, record)?

Thanks,
    Pa

Maybe Freesat HD + Saorsat in After June 2011, if the "Freesat HD" box does Diseqc.

A PC media center sort of works a bit better than a Combo box (Combo Boxes generally don't really implement Freesat, and most don't have MHEG5).

Some TVs that work on DTT can record/pause on USB storage, then Freesat HD Box for Sat.

If you have a Irish DTT compatible TV, then any DTT recorder may only need one tuner and might not need MHEG5. Series Link is via Nordig compatible methods.

I'd wait a bit an see unless you in a mad rush. In anycase you can't go wrong buying a "Freesat HD" PVR that has Diseqc feature. There is 3rd party channel editor for Humax Foxsat Freesat HD HDR, but for non-Freesat channels, may not be best solution. But we don't really know exactly how Saorsat will pan out.

Some people have bought FoxT2 "Freeview HD" HDR and Foxsat "Freesat HD" HDR, two PVR boxes.

Advertisement