Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #15 - Nephilim Wolf

Options
  • 18-03-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Nephilim Wolf.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What was the last song you heard that gave you the "f*ck YEAH!" feeling that only rock and metal can give!?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

It was probably 'Somewhere in Time' by Iron Maiden 20 years ago. It's still my absolute favourite Iron Maiden album.

I just came across boards.ie completely by accident.

The discussions are great, and the threads are mostly good some of the time.

Maybe some exercise. But 98% percent of the time I love listening to my iPod, whether it's reading a book, playing a game and\or driving down to a friend who lives far away, or going for a drive in the countryside.

Again probably 'Somewhere in Time' by Iron Maiden. It's still an album I love to this day. I feel it's an underated album, but to me it's an awesome album and I never tire of it. I also think that 'Appetite For Destruction' by Guns N' Roses had a huge impact on me in my very early teens.

I chose my username because I love both Fields of The Nephilim and wolves (the animals, not the football team).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

In your opinion, what are the best and worst rock/metal cover versions of songs?

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Who's your favourite Rock/Metal band who has emerged in the last 3 years?

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Are you a cliché of your taste in music in any particular way?

It would be a black metal band with Quorthon, Euronymous, Jon Nödtveidt and [FONT=verdana,arial]Frost[/FONT] (I know he's not dead, but I couldn't think of any other black metal drummers that I like who are dead). It would be in the vein of Emperor and early satyricon, some Bathory a little bit of Dissection, with a lot of melody, haunting keyboards and fantastic guitars. I think they would be called Twilight Funeral or Dance of The Dead.

Definitely 'Love Under Will' by Fields of The Nephilim. It's an incredible song.

I don't wear band merch anymore, although I wouldn't mind wearing a really cool stylish longsleeve Emperor, Thin Lizzy, Dimmu Borgir or Old Man's Child top.

My favourite soundtracks would be 'Gladiator' because it's really impressive and has some very moving and sorrowful parts in it.

It sometimes does.

Maybe a bit, actually. I tend to listen to mostly old school stuff pretty much all the time.

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

There hasn't been any really outstanding albums for me in 2010. I thought 2009 was a much better year, with excellent albums by Amorphis, Nokturnal Mortum and Hypocrisy. 2010 did have only two albums that I can say that I like a lot, and they are 'Circle The Wagons' by Darkthrone and 'Sting in The Tail' by Scorpions and Thulcandra - Fallen Angel’s Dominion .

Probably Immortal way back in 2001 in Eamon Dorans. It was a fantastic gig, and Abbath was in great form. The even did an incredible cover of 'Enter The Eternal Fire' by Bathory.

It would have to be either Slipknot or Mastodon.

Sometimes the motoring section, the star wars section and the toys section.

I love both rock and metal in equal messures. I can't really live without either of them to be honest. For rock I prefer classic rock like Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, The Cult, Aerosmith, Rush, Black Sabbath, Magnum etc. For metal I tend to prefer black metal like Emperor, Bathory, old Cradle of Filth, Immortal, Dissection, Hypocrisy, Gehenna, Old Man's Child, Nokturnal Mortum etc.

They would absolutely be Peter Tägtgren from Hypocrisy, Abbath from Immortal, Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, Ihsahn or Samoth from Emperor and Bruce Dickenson from Iron Maiden.

Carl McCoy would be vocals, Astennu would be lead guitars, Greg Macintosh would be rhythm guitars, Tony Petit on bass, Tjodalv on drums and last but not least would be Charmand Grimloch on keyboards.

It would mainly be Megadeth because of albums like Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia.

The last real major dissapointment was 'The Final Frontier' by Iron Maiden. I just thought it was too laid back, had boring guitars, boring arrangements and Bruce's vocals sounded tired. I was hoping that they might go back to the aggression of albums like 'Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave or even parts of 'Brave New World', which was the only album from the reformed Iron Maiden lineup that I really enjoyed.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    What was the last song you heard that gave you the "f*ck YEAH!" feeling that only rock and metal can give!?

'Embrace of The Endless Ocean' by Amon Amarth. I was just blown away by the guitar riifs and lead guitars on that song. The vocals are also class. The guitar solo towards the end was very very impressive and unforgettable. The album overal was dissapointing, but thats another story.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    In your opinion, what are the best and worst rock/metal cover versions of songs?

I honestly can't think of any terrible covers, although I know there are some awful ones out there. Some of my absolute favourites are these:

Summer Breeze - Type O Negative R.I.P Pete Steele
    It's a Sin - Gamma Ray
    Ziggy Stardust - Bauhaus
    The Final Countdown - Dispatched
    Fear Of The Dark - Graveworm
    Gimme (a man after midnight) - Sinergy
    Cinnamon Girl - Type O Negative
    Strange Day - Love Like Blood
    Spirit In The Sky - Doctor And The Medics
    A Forest - Carpathian Forest
    Perfect Strangers - Dimmu Borgir
    Starman - Nosferatu
    Emma - Sisters of Mercy
    Enjoy the Silence - Lacuna Coil
    Diamonds And Rust - Judas Priest
    White Wedding - Sentenced
    Small Town Boy - Paradise Lost
    Wishing Well - Gary Moore R.I.P
    Dissident Aggressor - Slayer
    Sympathy For The Devil - Tiamat

• Advertisement

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I chose my username because I love both Fields of The Nephilim
    The older Wiccan/Goth or the newer industrial?
    The new is good, the old is epic...

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

I met Katatonia back in 2003, but I wish I had got their autograph
    I'm not sure about that one.
    More than likely it would be Christina Scabbia
    I used to dress like a metal head, but I don't anymore.
    I recently bought 'Surtur Rising' by Amon Amarth, and it's a really fantastic album.
    I don't play any instruments unfortunately, but if I did it would be lead guitar riffs.
    Definitely 'Somewhere in Time' by Iron Maiden.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The older Wiccan/Goth or the newer industrial?
    The new is good, the old is epic...

Sorry but I just hate industrial music period. Ever since I heard 'The Nephilim' album by Fields of The Nephilim from 1988, I've been mad into old school goth bands like Elusive, Sisters of Mercy, Love Like Blood, The Mission UK, Opened Paradise, NFD, Voices of Masada, Nosferatu and lots of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Which do you buy,CD's/Vinyl or Digital download?

lord lucan wrote: »
    Which do you buy,CD's/Vinyl or Digital download?

I only download stuff that I'm curious about for free, and if I love it, and it's got lots of standout songs, and not just one or two, then I'll definitely buy it. I do actually prefer to own a psychical copy of the album, especially if it's a class album. I buy a bit of vinyl now and again, but I'm only into collecting Iron Maiden albums and singles. At the moment I have quite a small collection of vinyls from different bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Neil Young, Fields of The Nephilim, U2 and Emperor.

I went through one of the older threads and dug out some more questions:

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Are there any albums from reasonably well known bands that you feel are underrated?

I went through one of the older threads and dug out some more questions:

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

I hate Nu-metal, Sludge Metal, Brutal Metal, Industrial Metal. I can't think of any others at the moment.

I haven't been to any gigs this year.

I'm really looking forward to LimeHouse Lizzy who are playing in the Civic Theater in Tallaght.

I don't really keep up with the Irish metal scene that much. But I would highly recommend 'Angels Cry' by Geasa and Arcane Sun by Arcane Sun. Both are pretty much black metal albums with a lot of melody.

It's very hard to chose just one. It would be a hard choice between Iron Maiden, Fields of The Nephilim, Amorphis, Rush and Scorpions.

Mainly the magazines like Terrorizer and Classic Rock. Sometimes other people look down on metal/rock heads, which is not fair at all.

Definitetly Mastodon, Avenged Sevenfold, Most of Dream Theater's later albums, Slipknot and Cannibal Corpse.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Are there any albums from reasonably well known bands that you feel are underrated?

I think these fantastic albums are definitely underated:

The Cult - Sonic Temple - Classic late 80's hard rock
    I - Between Two Worlds - Blackened Heavy Metal with Abbath from Immortal
    Tiamat - Wildhoney - Incredible 90's metal album
    Old Man's Child - Born of The Flickering - Class debut album
    Nosferatu - Rise - Truly excellent british 90's gothic rock that rocks!
    NFD - DeaD Pool Rising - same as above
    The Damned - Phantasmagoria - Excellent mid 80's goth rock
    Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel - Outstanding symphonic/folk black metal album that blows me away.
    Gehenna - Seen Through The Veils of Darkness - mid 90's class symphonic Norwegian black metal
    Opened Paradise - Classic old school goth rock in the vein of Fields of The Nephilim and Nosferatu
    Tristania - Widows Weeds - Amazing goth metal album from 1998
    Gehenna - The First Spell - Class debut album

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Nephilim Wolf for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement