Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Recommendation Wexford Town

Options
  • 18-03-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks. Am in town for the weekend with Mrs Billy. Can you recommend any decent pubs or bars around the town center for Friday & Saturday night? Decent Guinness a must & somewhere more suited for an elderly couple (35+ :)).

Am in The Cape as I post (herself is shopping) & it is just a bit too 'elderly'. Good Guinness though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

You could try the Thomas Moore Tavern, which is only around the corner from the cape in Cornmarket, it is just opened.

Or try heading down to Monk St., where you have the crown bar, Maggie Mays and T. Morris which are good pubs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have a look through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056069067

Some good ideas there,enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Sky and the Ground, South Main Street would be my preference. Great athmosphere, nice staff, good pint of the black :cool: and the foods good as well. Haven't tried Thomas Moore since it reopened but should be worth a try as well.

Enjoy Wexford

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks folks. In the Thomas Moore Tavern right now. Off to Vines for dinner. Maybe S&G later.

Any recommendations for where to watch the rugby tomorrow while herself gets a suspiciously well-timed pre-booked beauty treatment? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Try the swan in the faythe for the rugby. its slightly off the main street, but you get a good rugby crowd often in there.

Else the loch and quay will be showing it. Remember town will be packed tomorrow with the combination of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Thanks folks. In the Thomas Moore Tavern right now. Off to Vines for dinner. Maybe S&G later.

Any recommendations for where to watch the rugby tomorrow while herself gets a suspiciously well-timed pre-booked beauty treatment? ;)

the seafood thai curry i think its called there is great, crab claws, mussles, prawns, divine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't get too drunk-Skyfest is on tomorrow evening.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

For the rugby (and great Guinness) head up to Enniscorthy and the Antique Tavern - freshly refurbished - including the the loos! Free sambos and cocktail sausages during the interval in the Ireland game - and you won't want any dinner. :D

Again, many thanks for all of the suggestions. We had a great weekend.
    The Thomas Moore Tavern, then Vines on Friday (great grub, brilliant service).
    Saturday, Bugler Doyles for an early one, Green Acres for lunch (quite possibly one of the best BBQ steaks I have ever had - washed down with a couple of bottles of Blackrock Stout). The Sky & The Ground for the rugby - everywhere else was banged out. We watched the SkyFest from the top floor of White's which saved us getting lashed on. :)
    Then Le Tire Bouchon for dinner - amazing food & quite easy on the pocket too.

I'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Bit late writing back so I guess my recommendations are useless, but if you are back in Wexford any time I'd visit Taste restaurant. Just around the corner from Whites hotel. I think its the best restaurant in town and the prices are reasonable. I've never been to Le Tire Bouchon but I guess you recommend it? I keep meaning to try the place but never get around to it.

• Advertisement

Thanks David. Yeah - I'd definitely recommend Le Tire Bouchon. Starters, mains, desserts with a couple of glasses of wine & coffees came to €80 for the two of us. Not bad value at all, especially with the quality of the food on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

+1 on Le Tire Bouchon

The Loch and Quay on Monck st is a good little boozer when back in town, good for Rugby, Football, GAA and Horse Racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Again, many thanks for all of the suggestions. We had a great weekend.
    The Thomas Moore Tavern, then Vines on Friday (great grub, brilliant service).
    Saturday, Bugler Doyles for an early one, Green Acres for lunch (quite possibly one of the best BBQ steaks I have ever had - washed down with a couple of bottles of Blackrock Stout). The Sky & The Ground for the rugby - everywhere else was banged out. We watched the SkyFest from the top floor of White's which saved us getting lashed on. :)
    Then Le Tire Bouchon for dinner - amazing food & quite easy on the pocket too.

I'll be back!

Sounds like a 500 euro weekend to me.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Sounds like a 500 euro weekend to me.
    You don't know the half of it. :)
    I work away from home, don't get to spend much time with my wife, so when I do I like to treat her.

Advertisement