Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Story Of Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The title of this documentary should be 'The Story of the English in Ireland, from a west brit perspective'
    Absolute dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I thought it was pretty good. The kneejerk reaction displayed in this thread isn't surprising though - yeah; much of the material is well known, and the first episode didn't really warrant the 're-assessing the myths' preamble, but it's only episode one - he's laying out the entire series, not an episode.

Given that the greatest influence in our country's history is undoubtedly the dynamics between ourselves and English authority, it's kind of hard to avoid dwelling on the history of the English in Ireland as a core componant of the Story of Ireland, and if Feargal Keane's school history education was like anyone elses's of his generation, it was pretty slanted nationalistic agit-prop (even allowing for his teacher with the Carson question that prompted such a reaction from the pupils - exception that proves the norm).

West Brit agenda my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I was just bored by it. Admittedly, I have only seen the first episode but it was just far too dull and far too much of it was spent in the National Museum.

Plus for something that seemed to promise revelations about our history, it was all pretty standard stuff that the majority of us would have known already.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Plus for something that seemed to promise revelations about our history, it was all pretty standard stuff that the majority of us would have known already.
    Keane's arrogant assumption that his programme will be a "revelation" to the Irish people exposes clearly the insultingly low opinion he and his ilk have of the average Irish person's understanding of their own history and the motivations behind their political beliefs.

Apparently, while students the world over were receiving a fair, impartial and comprehensive education in history, we poor ignorant Micks were being fed a pack of lies by fanatical IRA-loving teachers and sinister Romish monks! Thankfully Fergal Keane OBE is here to bring us the truth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Apparently, while students the world over were receiving a fair, impartial and comprehensive education in history, we poor ignorant Micks were being fed a pack of lies by fanatical IRA-loving teachers and sinister Romish monks! Thankfully Fergal Keane OBE is here to bring us the truth :rolleyes:

Didn't hear any claim that 'students the world over were receiving a fair, impartial and comprehensive education in history', but no matter.

Fed pack of lies? Check
    Fanatical IRA-loving teachers? Well if fanatical Patrick Pearse loving teachers count, then let's just say fanatical IRB-loving teachers - Check
    Sinister Romish monks? Nope, just the common or garden Parish Priest oversight of primary and (to a lesser degree) secondary education - which was/is bad enough.

That might not have been your reality, but it was certainly mine, and pretty much the norm for my generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

alastair wrote: »
    Fed pack of lies? Check

That's interesting! What lies were you fed? All history curricula were, and still are, textbook based. If your history education was based on lies then these books would surely contain these inaccuracies and you can prove your ridiculous claim.

I studied history from the ages of 9 to 18 and it was very fair and balanced. Like Cromwell himself, Irish history was painted "warts and all". If, for example, your preference was for Craig, Collins or De Valera it didn't matter, how could it when the subject matter dealt with facts?

Keane is presenting a documentary series but is committing the unforgivable sin of also presenting us with his own personal prejudices. He glibly claims that he was thought nothing of certain Gaelic chieftains offering homage to Henry II, as if such a major event was somehow subsequently blotted out of Irish history books. As ridiculous a claim as that we should thankful that the English gave us our hedgerows.:rolleyes:

What will Fergal's later revelations be? That O'Connell wasn't a Republican? That Parnell was a Protestant? That Carson was an Irish Unionist?

The one thing I fear about the later episodes of this series is that Eoghan "Harristotle" Harris is bound to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

I really enjoyed this last night, a well researched documentary on the history of Ireland, this would be on par with the History of Scotland. What did everyone else think of this.

Our history is noting like Scotland’s, don’t be taking in by films like Rob Roy and braveheart which 80% of it is bulls**t. England and Scotland always had a good relationship. The English never really seen the Scots as a natural enemy, they did however seen the Irish too rebellious and far more troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Enjoyed this last night again, but a few criticisms mainly on the accompanying music. The music was powerful enough, but seems to lack an identity, no offense meant against the musicians but when themes such as emigration was discussed I thought it would have been more appropriate to use actual airs, jigs and reels rather than Celtic sounding mood pieces, tracks that could have been used to emphasize the sorrow of leaving such as the air Happy to Meet Sorry to Part and reels like Farewell to Ireland. When discussing the risings in 1798, I felt Keane could have elaborated more on the Wexford rising, there was a small mention, but nothing on the Battle of Vinegar Hill. This is where the music could have also played a part with a rendition of Boolavogue.

Another thing Keane could have discussed more was the Penal times, where Irish traditional musicians were reduced to merely didelling or recreating their tunes by simple mouth music, this was not discussed about the banning of traditional instruments much like what happened in Scotland with the bagpipes and players such as MacCrimmon.

Saying that I still enjoyed this very much.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Who was the guy Fergal Keane asked was Cromwell really that bad in Ireland and the guy said no. :eek: who was that:confused: cromwells relative??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Loved the dark music when it came to the parts about the native Irish rebelling against the invaders and the positive music when it came to the invaders defending their land.
    The sooner we eradicate these insects the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Cris Jones wrote: »
    Who was the guy Fergal Keane asked was Cromwell really that bad in Ireland and the guy said no. :eek: who was that:confused: cromwells relative??:D
    His point was that Cromwell wasn't some murderous demon who loved butchering Irish people. He was a ruthless bastard for sure as the events at Drogheda show but he was back in England when the real horror was inflicted on the Irish civilian population and the blame for that lies with the commanders of the Army on the ground. To lump everything on one man is to absolve a huge bulk of the English (and Irish) ruling class as well.
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Loved the dark music when it came to the parts about the native Irish rebelling against the invaders and the positive music when it came to the invaders defending their land.
    The sooner we eradicate these insects the better.
    Jebus. Did you learn nothing from what Wolf Tone stood for?

Darlughda wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed with this tbh.

I hope this series improves.
    So do I but at this point I can't see it.
    KerranJast wrote: »
    His point was that Cromwell wasn't some murderous demon who loved butchering Irish people. He was a ruthless bastard for sure as the events at Drogheda show but he was back in England when the real horror was inflicted on the Irish civilian population and the blame for that lies with the commanders of the Army on the ground. To lump everything on one man is to absolve a huge bulk of the English (and Irish) ruling class as well.

Cromwell showed his -commanders- how to do it before he went back to England didn't he
    :-p

U said [quoted)
    -To lump everything on one man is to absove a huge bulk of the English and Irish ruling class as well-) end of u quote -
    cromwell was part of the english ruling class but definitely not the irish, you arent' the guy in the programme are you because I didnt catch his name and fergal keane just accepted what he had to say, which was -no- to cromwell being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mr Keane in this final episode you forgot to mention two important characters, Dr Noel Browne, especially when talking about the Catholic churches dominance with education and politics. On the period of civil unrest in Northern Ireland in the late 60s there was no mention of Lynch having the Irish army on standby at the border, I know there was a programme dedicated to this a few months back, but he still should have been mentioned.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I liked the part where he said to President McAleese that the idea of modern Ireland is not just catholic and gael but she was great, she came back at him with- there are still plenty of catholics and gaels! President McAleese is from a part of Ireland that saw plenty of terrors and they weren't always done by the IRA as she well knows and Fergal should know. If Fergal mentioned that protestant or unionist terrors were done he always had to say that these were in reprisal for catholic terrors even if they weren't.:rolleyes: In fairness though I think the BBC and RTE did this series for people who don't know the history of the country and that is ok and I don't just mean the unionists but anybody on the street. People can research more if they want to after seeing the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Was wondering if there was a thread about this because I think the program is fantastic.
    Okay, I missed the first episode and have not seen the last episode (last night RTE2 appeared to show episode 4 and RTE showed episode 2 - was I mistaken) yet - will watch it on the Beed this weekend.

I am a big fan of history and I don't understand the nonsense that some people are saying in this thread (or on p.ie).
    Yeah, it was high level and didn't cover everything, but what do you expect from a 5 hour series that covers over a thousand years of history.
    (The World At War was a 26 part documentary about just 6 years)

From the perspective of how balanced the show was, after seeing episodes 2-4, I can't say I noticed anything wrong with it - it demonstrated the atrocities that were commited by the English mainly, but also by the Irish themselves. Most people in Ireland didn't (and probably don't) give two hoots who is ruling them as long as they are seen as fair.

The main thing though is that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't remember most of the material (ask the average Joe what the Flight of the Earls was or even who Trevelyon was and they wouldn't know).

Taken for what it is - it is an excellent, easy to follow, recap of the history of Ireland which is aimed at the typical TV viewer rather than enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MaceFace wrote: »
    Was wondering if there was a thread about this because I think the program is fantastic.
    Okay, I missed the first episode and have not seen the last episode (last night RTE2 appeared to show episode 4 and RTE showed episode 2 - was I mistaken) yet - will watch it on the Beed this weekend.

I am a big fan of history and I don't understand the nonsense that some people are saying in this thread (or on p.ie).
    Yeah, it was high level and didn't cover everything, but what do you expect from a 5 hour series that covers over a thousand years of history.

From the perspective of how balanced the show was, after seeing episodes 2-4, I can't say I noticed anything wrong with it - it demonstrated the atrocities that were commited by the English mainly, but also by the Irish themselves. Most people in Ireland didn't (and probably don't) give two hoots who is ruling them as long as they are seen as fair.

The main thing though is that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't remember most of the material (ask the average Joe what the Flight of the Earls was or even who Trevelyon was and they wouldn't know).

Taken for what it is - it is an excellent, easy to follow, recap of the history of Ireland which is aimed at the typical TV viewer rather than enthusiast.
    Not a very nice man!!

Not a very nice man!!

Aye, and I bet if you asked the average man on the street he would say "Yeah, I know that name - oh yeah, its from The Fields of Athenry".
    Thats about the limit of the knowledge of most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

This is the type of Irish history programme you would expect from some insufferable lackey acting out his mandate as an officer of the British empire ... hold on!

Aye, and I bet if you asked the average man on the street he would say "Yeah, I know that name - oh yeah, its from The Fields of Athenry".
    Thats about the limit of the knowledge of most people.
    RTE show the repeat of the episode shown on the Tuesday before that on RTE 1. So you didn't see the episode 5 and you said you didn't see episode 1. I have watched all the episodes and can post my opinion here if I want to and so can the other forum members - especially if they have watched the series which you haven't yet. So how can you say people have posted 'nonsense' if they have watched it all and you haven't.
    You then go on to say that not only the English did "atrocities" but the Irish you wouldn't be coming in on a biased opinion would you with that statement - ;) I think you might - :rolleyes: or maybe you read my post on the last page of the thread and are just answering back in spite or maybe you just don't know what you are talking about as you said yourself you haven't watched the whole series but are coming in here telling off the people who have.
    You say "take it for what it is" a story of the history for people who don't know the history and you go on to say people here wouldn't have heard of Trevelyan eg, but now I see that you have read my post on the other page as it was me who said it was a history series maybe aimed at people who don't know all the history. I also said that was ok if they didn't know all the history - because the series is educational - but you are coming on here thinking you know it all without watching the whole series and you sound pretty rude TBH.
    I actually thought the series was pretty good. I could argue with some things that were said in it but the BBC and RTE did a good job on the whole and they weren't rude [obviously you were not involved in the making of it then};)
    "The vast amount of people in Ireland dont remember most of the material" how do you know - have you done a survey! Or are you just trolling. Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

I thought it was criminal it was so anti-Irish, but thats standard for west brit RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Predator_ wrote: »
    I thought it was criminal it was so anti-Irish, but thats standard for west brit RTE

RTÉ should leave the production of historical documentaries to TG4, at least there we get a no-nonsense, warts and all, non-revised, factual account of our history.

The correct title of the series should have been, My (well really the revisionist historian Roy Foster's) Version of the Story of Ireland by Fergal Keane OBE.

Who decided on Bilbo Baggins as the presenter of this anyway?

The correct title of the series should have been, My (well really the revisionist historian Roy Foster's) Version of the Story of Ireland by Fergal Keane OBE.

yes and the same goes for professor john morill the english guy who stuck up for cromwell. Fergal just stood there nodding his head.

RTE show the repeat of the episode shown on the Tuesday before that on RTE 1. So you didn't see the episode 5 and you said you didn't see episode 1. I have watched all the episodes and can post my opinion here if I want to and so can the other forum members - especially if they have watched the series which you haven't yet.
    Not once did I dare suggest anyone was not entitled to express their opinion in this forum, so lets get that straight first off!
    I would hope you would extend me the same courtesy and not belittle my opinion because I am basing my opinion on just over half the series which is what most the posters in this thread are also doing.
    So how can you say people have posted 'nonsense' if they have watched it all and you haven't.
    Well, the first negative comment was on 10th Feb which I believe was the first episode, and that tone continued throughout the weeks and certainly covered episodes 2,3 and 4 which I did see. So, yes, both myself and the people who had a different opinion both watched the same episodes!
    You then go on to say that not only the English did "atrocities" but the Irish you wouldn't be coming in on a biased opinion would you with that statement - ;) I think you might - :rolleyes:
    I would like you to clarify that statement. If you dare suggest that I in any way favour any person or country over Ireland, you are very very wrong and if anyone was to say that to my face, it would not end very well.
    or maybe you read my post on the last page of the thread and are just answering back in spite or maybe you just don't know what you are talking about as you said yourself you haven't watched the whole series but are coming in here telling off the people who have.
    Huh?
    I have read many books on Irish history as history in general is one of my strong interests. Maybe this is why I have a different opinion than many on this thread.
    You say "take it for what it is" a story of the history for people who don't know the history and you go on to say people here wouldn't have heard of Trevelyan eg, but now I see that you have read my post on the other page as it was me who said it was a history series maybe aimed at people who don't know all the history.
    Maybe I did read your post, but my opinions are not one directed at any one person but instead the whole tone of the thread which appears to be one that to try and understand the situation and maybe see what the English were thinking is just treasonous.
    I also said that was ok if they didn't know all the history - because the series is educational - but you are coming on here thinking you know it all without watching the whole series and you sound pretty rude TBH.
    And that is why I was upfront and said I didn't see episodes 1 and 5 yet, but if the pro-English views were only limited to these episodes, then I would be surprised.
    I actually thought the series was pretty good. I could argue with some things that were said in it but the BBC and RTE did a good job on the whole and they weren't rude [obviously you were not involved in the making of it then};)
    "The vast amount of people in Ireland dont remember most of the material" how do you know - have you done a survey! Or are you just trolling. Probably.
    Rude? You think it is rude that I think it wrong that people are name calling against both the presenter, researchers and production staff of the series?
    And, your right, I had nothing to do with this, and am not even in the same industry.
    You agree with me in general that it was a very good show, but you do you actually think that this has a pro-English agenda?

And, I don't have to employ the Red C to know the majority of people don't know who Trevelyan is. As I said, I have a very strong interest in history in general and most people I speak to have studied history up to the Inter/Junior and then forgot it all. This was one of the things that surprised me about this show - it mentioned things that I have not seen on RTE in a long time in a way that is accessible to all (there have been shows about very specific items such as the Flight of the Earls but it only really appealed to history anoraks).

Look, ask most people in Ireland about Cromwell and they will tell you he was a murderous bastid who killed loads of Irish in the cruelest way and specifically on the Cromwell segment, when I watched it, I was of the impression that there was no need to dwell too much on how oppressive Cromwell was to the Irish because as I said it was a 5 hour series covering 1000+ years and instead they were trying to go beneath the covers instead of rehashing the same stuff we all know.

I really think that many of the posters here would not have been happy unless the series was 5 hours of inciting our hatred of the English and any sort of understanding of the times that existed back then was seen as "biased".

yes and the same goes for professor john morill the english guy who stuck up for cromwell. Fergal just stood there nodding his head.
    This is an exactly what I mean - the segment in question said that Cromwell done a lot of really bad things in Ireland but the people who came after him done worse but for some reason we don't care about the likes of Ludlow. So, you can see that segment as defending Cromwell or you could see it as no matter how evil he appeared, there were others who were just as bad or not worse that we should know about and hate as much.

Take another important part - the famine. It was well explained how the English government let the Irish die but instead of just following the party line and giving pro-Irish account, the program discussed what the English were thinking and why they done what they did.
    Really, as much as I might get hammered for this, the English people at that time were not evil psychopath who wanted to see the Irish people suffer.

This is an exactly what I mean - the segment in question said that Cromwell done a lot of really bad things in Ireland but the people who came after him done worse but for some reason we don't care about the likes of Ludlow. So, you can see that segment as defending Cromwell or you could see it as no matter how evil he appeared, there were others who were just as bad or not worse that we should know about and hate as much.

Take another important part - the famine. It was well explained how the English government let the Irish die but instead of just following the party line and giving pro-Irish account, the program discussed what the English were thinking and why they done what they did.
    Really, as much as I might get hammered for this, the English people at that time were not evil psychopath who wanted to see the Irish people suffer.
    You have been doing a lot of writing to reply to my post which no "maybe you did read" about it you did read them. First of all I would like to say all that I have posted to your face just to see how it "would not end up well" like you threaten?
    Your tone in your first post to the thread was telling everyone off because you had seen a couple of episodes and dissed what the members of the forum had said. You said they didn't know what they were talking about or didn't know their history or if they did - they had forgot it all! How good then that you can come in saying that you have read history books and put us all bang to order. How do you know that I am not a history teacher or even more than that! Your attitude stinks and if I want to say that Morill stuck up for Cromwell and that Fergal just stood there then that is what I will say and I will stick up for that. For you to say to me that after I said this that this "was exactly what you meant" as if to make me out to be in the wrong and you in the right, of course, because you have read books or say you have and find that it is more trendy to side with Cromwell and think that others were just as bad as him- so that makes him ok does it?
    The famine section was well done as you said and I said that the series "as a whole" was good and fine for people who want to get some knowledge. But it was not a revelation to me to hear "what the English were thinking and why they done as they did".As far as I know the English side was always told in the story of the famine and I didn't need to see "The Story of Ireland" to hear that and you say before "The Story of Ireland" only "proIrish and following the party line" accounts were in your books you read were they, about the facts that happened! Really you are showing your own biases here!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

why does fergal keane say "faw-ther" instead of "father"? It's f'ucking infuriating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The story of Ireland for anyone that missed it

270Ad cica Ireland invaded Britain (we think) we should say sorry
    500Ad St-pat was a myth you muppets
    800AD Vikings came
    800-1014AD Dublin was a multi-cultural paradise.
    1179AD Normans came, Irish resisted by throwing stones at them(he actually said this)
    1180-1607 Stuff happen's
    1607 Protestant immigrants DIVERSTY hurrah!!!
    1641 protestant's massacared
    1690 protestant's massacared
    1798 protestant's massacared
    1845 Spud shortage
    1850-1900 Irish catholic imperialism
    1850-1900 Irish went to American and had a wonderful trip and time.
    1914 Irish Go off to fight for freedom of small nations
    1916 Easter terror plot defeated by Dublin fusliers
    1919-1921 Protestant's massacared + innocent catholic policemen murdered
    1921-now Independence was a failure but the future is bright because we are now multi-cultural

As well as all the bull************************ and bias the main problem
    with the show is that it covers too much ground in too little time
    The presenter is too ugly and charmless for modern TV.
    Also the use of crap black and white pencil drawings throughtout was terrible
    whatever about the history debate its a crap show.
    It is not worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Here is the proof that RTÉ have bank rolled, given credibility and refused to allow any real critique of a "factual programme", which is essentially a
    narrow-minded and ignorant British propaganda effort, part funded by the BBC, to airbrush Irish history and British-Irish relations.

The series slated by Irish viewers, and ridiculed by Irish historians as pompous, self-serving, jingoist (for the British) and ignorant, was presented by
    "Irish journalist" Fergal Keane (who is an officer of the British empire no less).

An article he wrote for the UK Independent back in 2001 has resurfaced and intimates his British fascist leanings.

He claims how Britain must crush the self determined Ireland. (Unapologetically oblivious to the conflict caused in the North as a consequence of British expanision and violence!)
    Keane wrote: »
    " I have never had anything but loathing for the creed of Gaelic nationalist exceptionalism....
    "A vast pasture of sacred cows has been dispatched to the abattoir and only a few green fascists are pining. In a generation or two even those pathetic remnants of muscular nationalism will have been consigned to history."

Referring to Ireland as populated by "green fascists", can only make
    Mr Keane "pine" for the days of the British murder machine, which he has always insinuated kept Ireland down, and in check.

The Pax Britannia, according to Keane, and British culture was superior and more powerful than Irish "exceptionalism", and Irish independence should not nor never have been be tolerated.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fergal-keane--ireland-has-paid-a-high-price-for-its-dishonest-mythmaking-632796.html

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Here is the proof that RTÉ have bank rolled, given credibility and refused to allow any real critique of a "factual programme", which is essentially a
    narrow-minded and ignorant British propaganda effort, part funded by the BBC, to airbrush Irish history and British-Irish relations.

This wasn't an RTE production folks. It was produced by BBC NI with part-funding from RTE so I'd imagine full ediitorial control went to the Beeb.

Advertisement