Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #14 - Bad2dabone

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Bad2dabone.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

I remember when I was about 12 or so starting in secondary school I was doing some homework and I decided to listen to something from my brothers' vinyl collection. Luckily for me I picked Paranoid by Black Sabbath. From the first play I was hooked, enthralled, frightened, excited. I put on Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath and that was it for me. I fell in love with metal in one night thanks to those two albums. I had recently became friends with a guy in my class in school who walked the same route as me, turns out he was into metal too, he became my best mate and still is 20 years later. What keeps me interested, hard to say anything other than I just love the music.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

Just searching for the music that I like ;)
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    Some great posters, good chats, although I mostly lurk, and for recommendations on new stuff. This forum has gotten me to dip my toe into darker music that I would usually listen to.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    Work, look after my 7 month old daughter and my mrs, and think about rocking out :D
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

Black Sabbath. right from the start the first song to the last. It starts with the sound of falling rain, a church beal peals ominously in the distance, a rumble of thunder and then Iommi's riffage comes crashing in, it just punches you in the guts, Ozzy's voice so eerie and unlike anything i'd ever heard before, the bass is thundering, the whole album is class and introduced me to one of the loves of my life :D
    Where did your username come from?
    uhm the song in Terminator 2 where a naked Arnie steals the bikers clothes, boots and motorcycle. I'd change it if I could !

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

2010 was a good year I think, I enjoy Mechanize by Fear Factory more each time I hear it. I think Order of the Black by BLS is class. For me though it's between Snakes for the Devine by High on Fire and Warp Riders by The Sword.
    Warp Riders just barely wins because I like the idea of a concept album which tells a story - but Matt Pike's guitar work on Snakes is brilliant I think.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

I think Pearl Jam back in the point in 1996. Still a class band.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I detest Axl Rose, the guy is a cock smoking ****hole.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Motors, AH, politics, Games, films, atheism & agnosticism
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I like both, but metal wins. Sometimes I like to listen to something a little lighter, rock or blues-rock. But mostly it's metal. My favourite sub-genre is stoner metal/doom metal. At the moment of course.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

I think Ozzy when he was younger, Lemmy, Zakk Wylde, Dave Mustaine - although he's probably a gigantic dickhead,and Slash. Slash is sound I'd say :)
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Original Sababth
    Sleep
    Megadeth
    Machine Head
    Original Pantera
    Megadeth (with friedman)
    Queens of the Stone Age

I'm sure i'm missing out so many but I think I'd enjoy myself at that gig.
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Megadeth for me. Although I'm partial to early metallica, and you can't not like anthrax and Slayer!
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

I think Death Magnetic. Not that I expected it to be great but on the first couple of listens I was thinking it was maybe a return to old form by metallica, but it just hasn't aged well at all (All nightmare long though is still a great track and I love the video)
    Any more disappointments from Metallica and I'll be declaring myself out from being a fan of theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

well i'm sure most dead super groups would have similar rock gods in them (cliff burton, randy rhoads would be the obvious ones, hendrix and bon scott etc)

but i'll go for on Bass:
    Felix Papparlardi, who played with Mountain, worked with Cream, and was shot by his wife!
    Drums:
    Buddy Rich, ok he's not Rock or Metal but I'm sure if he was born a bit later I could have persuaded him to join the band. He's a sick drummer.

Lead guitar, I'm partial to Randy Rhoads. We'll have him.
    Lets also have Dimebag while we're at it.

And singer, i'd love to go with Bon Scott as he was a legend, but we'll go with
    Ronnie Van Zant from Skynyrd because he had a great southern drawl to his voice and was cool as f*ck.

The band would be called:
    Zombie Cash In
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Bass & Orion, got to be
    What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Holy Wars, just for the guitar work, it's something special.
    Here's Andy James playing it for lick library:

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

I wear them sometimes yeah but usually under a shirt. I've got a few, mostly classic metal and rock ones, about 10 all in i'd say, and I usually but a t shirt at gigs I go to as a memento if the gig was worth it. My Favourite is a kick ass Iron Maiden Number of the Beast one that goes down a treat in the office on casual fridays.
    What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Class film, class soundtrack!

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

Absolutely, heavy music gives me energy and fuels my imagination.
    Are you a cliché of you taste in music in any particular way?

Well to look at me you wouldn't think I was into metal, but I play guitar and have done since I was a kid so my neighbours definitely know that I'm into it! I've also got some tattoos so that's a bit of a cliché too.
    But as regards long hair etc, i'm afraid that male pattern baldness has seen to that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Awesome answers man, I know we're not supposed to discuss the answers in this thread but I just want to say it's cool you included Buddy Rich in your supergroup answer. I absolutely loved the man! I enjoy a lot Jazz drummers but he is certainly my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Any guilty pleasures you don't tell people about? Some cheesy pop act or perhaps a band everyone hates?

Awesome answers man, I know we're not supposed to discuss the answers in this thread but I just want to say it's cool you included Buddy Rich in your supergroup answer.
    Just put a question in your post like:

Are there any other Jazz drummers that you like?
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'd change it if I could !
    You can subscribe for a month and in doing so you can get your name changed. You could also become a moderator and do the same but subscribing's probably easier ;).

If you were to change your username what would you choose?

Any guilty pleasures you don't tell people about? Some cheesy pop act or perhaps a band everyone hates?

I can confess to owning Neil Diamonds greatest hits....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Have you ever attended any rock or metal festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Are you a fan of any video game music? And if so, what and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Do you follow the irish rock/metal scene, and if so, whos your favourite unsigned irish band?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

What would be your absolute favourite top twenty metal albums?

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Have you ever attended any rock or metal festivals?

I've only been to Rock Im Park back in 2003, and haven't been to one since. A bunch of us went over, 8 or so and it was a class weekend. I'd really recommend it, and some of the line ups in the past few years have been great, I'd love to go again.
    Are you a fan of any video game music? And if so, what and why?

I like most video game music, I'm a big fan of RPG's and the towering orchestral scores that they have. I cant think of any offhand however. Its a question that's gonna make me think!

But this is epic:

:D
    Do you follow the irish rock/metal scene, and if so, whos your favourite unsigned irish band?

TO my shame I don't follow the Irish metal scene. Something I must get into. Can you recommend any bands? gigs?
    What would be your absolute favourite top twenty metal albums?

in no particular order:

Black Sabbath: Master of Reality
    Megadeth: Rust in Peace
    Metallica: Ride the Lightning
    Metallica: Master of Puppets
    Mastodon: Leviathan
    Ozzy: Blizzard of Ozz
    Black Sabbath: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Mercyful Fate: Melissa
    Down: NoLa
    Machine Head: The Burning Red
    Black Sabbath : Black Sabbath
    Sleep: Sleep's Holy Mountain
    Slayer: Reign in Blood
    Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast
    Megadeth: Countdown to Exctinction
    Pantera: Vulgar Display of power
    Pantera: Cowboys from Hell
    The Sword: Age of Winters/Warp Riders, cant decide between them.
    Black Sabbath: Paranoid
    hmmm and probably throw Blood Mountain by Mastodon in there aswell.

Although I am sure i'm missing some!

Any more questions there folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

if you could be the fly on the studio wall for any album, what would it be?

if you could be the fly on the studio wall for any album, what would it be?

Nice question dude!!

I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
    At that state the band were drained, drugged out and at a creative low point so they hired a supposededly haunted 18th century castle to rehearse in.
    http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/35063/Black-Sabbath-Sabbath-Bloody-Sabbath/
    Both Ozzy and Bill Ward claim they saw the ghost - so perhaps the oul drugs inspired the album more than the setting eh!

I think you forgot this one:
    If you were to change your username what would you choose?

hmmm I think Supernaut would be a nice one

• Advertisement

I thought I had posted these previously but obviously not. Either that or the Boards gremlins are up to something and have removed all traces of the post :).

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Just out of curiosity what metal bands do you hate/dislike?

I thought I had posted these previously but obviously not. Either that or the Boards gremlins are up to something and have removed all traces of the post :).

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

No one from the metal scene, uhm, thought I was in there one night with Gemma Hayes many years ago - alas I was very drunk and not in there at all.
    I got speaking to her after one of her gigs. Lovely girl if I remember. Good times!
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?

Axl Rose, he just has no respect for his fans. Hate that guy.
    Him or probably even worse - Sharon Osbourne! I know she's not "in metal" but come on, what a wagon.
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

Maria Brink. enough said.
    Do you dress like a metalhead?

No, I look like an ordinary member of the public. That's my secret plan, to infiltrate the masses like a wolf in accountants clothing!
    What was the last album that you bought?
    I bought Beast by DevilDriver last week, haven't really had much chance to give it enough listens yet but like it so far.
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?

Well I started playing classical music as a kid, then discovered the bluesy sound of black sabbath and then became really into the neo-classical style of guitar playing as it hit both "spots" for me if you like. I'd have to say Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Uli John Roth, Yngwie Malmsteen to an extent, clapton, ritchie blackmore, petrucci and Mustaine. I think Mustaine is just a rip roaring guitar player, underrated in the guitar world by many people who aren't into metal music. Right now I'm into slower heavier stuff though, with bluesy tones. I'm sure i'll swing back to fast playing soon, I seem to jump between those two.
    Just on Uli Jon Roth, I love this video from back in the 70's with the Scorpions, the solo early in the song is a ripper, but just look how totally baked the guy is. (quality of the vid is terrible)

Legend.
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

I remember looking at the cover of Powerslave by Iron Maiden on vinyl for ages when I was younger, the inside cover was deadly. Metal is definately the genre with the best covers. Iron Maiden always have cool ones, as do megadeth, some of the darker metal albums have great covers - Howl had a great cover on their Full Of Hell album last year that reminded me of some RPG i played in my teenage years, I spent ages just looking at the cover of that too
    Full_of_Hell_cover.jpg

for me though I'm going to have to be showing my borderline obsession with Black Sabbath again and say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favourite album artwork of all time.
    http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathbloodysabbath.html
    It had it all, and as a kid it frightened and excited me.
    I loved the way the back was the opposite to the front.
    And there's tits too.
    And a rat.
    awesome.

Just out of curiosity what metal bands do you hate/dislike?

****ing hate that video game metal ****e Dragonforce. Are they even metal? I can't stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Has there even being a metal lyric that offended you? Something from Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, S.O.D. etc?

Has there even being a metal lyric that offended you? Something from Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, S.O.D. etc?

Good question man, I dunno, I tend to not get offended too easily and some of the Cannibal Corpse lyrics are, well, so outrageous that they're almost a parody.

Things have changed though since I've become a father, I'm more sensitive than I used to be towards anything "offensive" got to do with kids. At this stage if something turned my stomach a little I reckon i'd just bin it and move on.

I read before that some animal rights activists tried to blow up Deicide? I'd find that more offensive to be honest :)

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to bad2dabone for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement