Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some bits and pieces from my small collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Italy. Officer's ribbon bar who saw action during WW1 and WW2.

15559203858a47_o.jpg

One of the oldest Imperial Germany Trapez ribbon bar what I have.

Awarded to the Prussian army servant (beamter).

- Order of the Red Eagle (Rote Adler Orden)
    - Order of the Crown (Kronenorden)
    - Franco-Prussian War Commemorative medal, noncombatant (Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71 Nichtkämpfer)
    - 1866 War Commemorative Cross for noncombatants (Erinnerungskreuz 1866 für Nichtkämpfer)
    - 1897 Jubilee medal (Kaiser Wilhelm I Zentenarmedaille) 1897

16802805daf68a_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is one small set what I would like to study more.

It is set from imperial Germany what belonged to the member of Tsar Alexander Guards Grenadiers Regiment No. 1 (
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 1[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]), based in Berlin.

As far I know, owner of this set was NCO. Some how he managed to get only two awards (first of them for a Long Service) from his own country and THREE awards from imperial Russia.

Because the owner was NCO, I am sure he didn't had any orders, so only medals.

My guess is:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Long Service award and General honour decoration[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    3rd St.Stanislaus ribbon - Medal for Zeal (Za Userdie) gold or large medal
    4th St.Anne's ribbon - St.Anne's medal
    5th St.Stanislaus - Medal for Zeal (Za Userdie) silver or regular size medal
    [/FONT]
    1742940382cdca_l.jpg

Leutenant-Colonel (Oberstleutnant) Achill von Oertzen

Served most of the time in the Life Grenadier Regiment "King Frederick William III" (1st Brandenburgian) No. 8.)

Achill von Oertzen born 1872.

Awards on the ribbon bar
    - Iron Cross 2nd Class (Eisernes Kreuz, II Klasse)
    - War Merit Cross, 2nd Class (Mecklenburg-Schwerin, II Klasse)
    - Hamburg Cross (Hanseatenkreuz)
    - First World War Commemorative Cross, 1933 (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer)
    - Order of the Red Eagle, 4th Class (Roter Adlerorden, IV Klasse)
    - Order of the Crown, 4th Class (Kronenorden, IV Klasse)
    - 1897 Jubilee medal (Kaiser Wilhelm I Zentenarmedaille)
    - Long Service Cross (Dienstauszeichnungskreuz)
    - Africa Campaign medal for noncombatants (Südwest-Afrika Denkmünze)
    - Austria War Merit Cross, 3rd Class (Militär-Verdienstkreuz, III Klasse)
    - Imperial Russia Order of St.Anne

0562927578e170_l.jpg

and I was lucky to get his original photo as well;)

161420394c894a_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Welcome to the Militaria forum, Phaethon!

I see you have already found your way around here and posted some great pictures.

A very nice collection! When did you start collecting these?

Also, if you have anything for sale or are looking for stuff you can send one of the militaria moderators a PM and we can put it up in the for sale sticky (just make sure to post an ad of the same items on www.adverts.ie first - it's free to post and ad and any offical sales have to go through there). ;)

• Advertisement

Württemberg Friedrich Order Merit Medal ( Friedrichs Orden Verdienstmedaille)

Established just 1892 and staid in use until 1918.

1750695733bff9_o.jpg

One proud Württemberg Portepee NCO from King's Balace Guard Company (Portepee-Unteroffizier Württemberg Schloßgarde-Kompanie)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1. Württemberg. Gold or silver merit medal
    2. Württemberg. Long service cross
    3. Prussia. 1870-71 war medal, combatant
    4. Württemberg. 1866 war medal
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    5. Württemberg. King Karl 25 year jubilee medal
    [/FONT]
    6. ???
    17549207bb54b9_l.jpg

Italian early Africa Campaign medal

17527851ee126e_l.jpg

Belgium Queen Elisabeth Medal ([FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Médaille de la Reine Elisabeth / Koningin Elisabeth Medaille).[/FONT]

Established on 15 September 1915 and awarded to both Belgians and non-Belgians for services to Belgium and its citizens as a consequence of the 1914-1918 war. It was awarded particularly for relief of the suffering of the civilian population and the sick and wounded and recipients included many well-known British and American doctors and nurses. Pretty hard-to-find medal.

175278597cc2e3_l.jpg

Spanish m[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]edal of Homage to the Crown (Medalla ‘Homenaje de los Ayuntamientos a SS.MM.’), 1926[/FONT]

174692159730eb_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok, have to run to work. Will continue in the evening...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Spanish Order of Naval Merit, Silver Cross (Orden del Mérito Naval)[/FONT]

17662147f84850_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi phaethon,what a beautiful selection of awards your have and I must second what Morlar has said above,you have these photographed really really well,excellent stuff.Welcome to the forum and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Hi Phaethon,

What a nice collection you have already. Lots of nice orders in there and quite a variety too!

Some great photography of the items :D

Thank you guys for a warm welcome;)

Sorry about the mistakes as well, as you can understand, English is not my first language.

I start collecting around 4 years ago. Started with the imperial Germany items, then sold most, then focusing to the medal bars and ribbon bars, sold a lot last year and now starting again. This time I would like to be focused more to the 19 century items and WW1 period awards - all main imperial powers in Europe. Still like the bars a lot, so never say no something extra special. Just because these is possible to reasearch more then a single awards.

Lots of my British stuff are gone (including Royal Dublin Fus. sets, RFC pilots WW1 sets, etc).

I still have some stuff what is not my collecting interest anymore left and I would be interested to let go, so I will check out exactly how this selling subforum works here.

I am based in Dublin and always happy to meet fellow collectors for a chat, show the items or share the knowledge.

Ok, I try to post more items up now...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Romania Commemorative Cross for the 1916-1918 War (Crucea Comemorativă a Războiului 1916-1918)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The medal was instituted by Royal Decree on 8 July 1918 to be awarded to military and civilians for conspicuous service during the war of 1916-1918. Despite alliances with Germany and Austria-Hungary and a Royal House of German origin, Romania entered World War I on the side of the Triple Entente of Britain, Russia and France, swayed by the promise of Transylvania. German and Austro-Hungarian forces made rapid advances and the Romanian Army suffered devastating defeat. However, the War brought revolution in Russia, defeat for Germany and disintegration for Austria-Hungary and Romania gained not only Transylvania but also Bessarabia and Bukovina. This cross is increasingly hard to find.[/FONT]
    176867032d54e0_o.jpg

Japan Red Cross Medal with ladies bow, silver loop and Special Membership rosette. The Japanese Red Cross Society grew from the Benevolence Society founded in 1877 to give aid to those wounded in the Satsuma Rebellion which spelled the end of Samurai power. The Society acceded to the Geneva Convention in 1886 and adopted its current name in 1887.

177006011165b6_o.jpg

Imperial Germany, Prussian Red Cross medal 2nd or 3rd class (Preußischen Rote Kreuz-Medaille) 1898-1921.

17527857606f53_l.jpg

Something more common... French [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combatant’s Cross (Croix du Combattant) 1914-1918[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Established 28 June 1930 and intended for ‘all those who, at peril to their lives, defended the motherland’. Maker mark indicates Paris Mint.[/FONT]

1736739319f0e4_l.jpg

Something rare...

Polish Lithuanian-Belorussian Front badge 1919-1921

There where 4 classes of this cross, in total 50,000 awarded. Most lost/destroyed during WW2 and banned after in communist period.

173729313deb2a_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Serbia[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No. 1 Commemorative Cross for the War of Liberation and Union, 1914-1918[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Established on 1 December 1920 to be awarded to Serbian and Montenegrin military who had participated in World War I and to Allied military who had contributed to the liberation of Serbia.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No. 2 Miloš Obilić Medal for Bravery, 1913, bronze[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The medal was initiated on 12 July 1913 and awarded to officers for acts of bravery on the field of battle in the short war with Bulgaria. [/FONT]
    16879487e1713e_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Netherlands...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1. Cross for Important War Actions; Expedition Cross with the clasp “Atjeh 1873-1890” (Kruis voor Belangrijke Krijgsverrigtingen) Type 1, 2nd issue, Model C from 1873[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2. Decoration for Long, Honourable and Faithful Service in the Royal Dutch Navy (Onderscheidingsteken voor Langdurige, Eerlijke en Trouwe Dienst bij de Koninklijke Marine) 1851 - 1905 issue[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3. Officer’s Long Service Decoration, 15 years (Onderscheidingen voor eervolle langdurige werkelijke dienst als officier, 15 jaar) by J.M.I van Wielik of The Hague[/FONT]

16879471c1ba74_l.jpg

Bulgaria
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1. Commemorative Medal for the Serbian-Bulgarian War of 1885, silver (awarded 60,000 times)
    2. Commemorative Medal for the Serbian-Bulgarian War of 1885, bronze (awarded around 30,000 times)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3. Royal Medal for Merit, bronze, Boris III[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4. Royal Order for Bravery, Soldier’s Cross, IV class, 1879-1914[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5. Bulgaria Red Cross Merit Medal for flying corps (?)[/FONT]

16879463e85747_l.jpg

Belgium Order of the Crown, Silver Palms. Early issue with the box

168087295bcaa6_o.jpg

One random imperial Germany photo between, what I picked up few moths ago..

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Herzog Ulrich Maria Ludwig Philipp Joseph Anton Herzog von Württemberg [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](13 June 1877 - 13 June 1944)[/FONT]

Got it unnamed but breast star gave him away:D. Something what usually junior officer's don't wear.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ulrich Maria Herzog von Württemberg was born on 13 June 1877 at Gmünden-am-Traunsee, Austria. He was the son of Phillipp Alexander Maria Ernst Herzog von Württemberg and Maria Theresa Anna Erzherzogin von Österreich. He died on 13 June 1944 at age 67 at Altshausen, Wurttemberg, Germany.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ulrich Maria Herzog von Württemberg gained the title of Herzog von Württemberg.1 He was baptised with the name of Ulrich Maria Ludwig Philipp Joseph Anton von Württemberg.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Entered to service 10th March 1904[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rittmeister October 1905[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Oberst 10th June 1913 [/FONT]

Photo was made when he served in [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ulanen-Regiment „König Wilhelm I.“ (2. Württembergisches) Nr. 20[/FONT]

16817709f07bf5_l.jpg

French buttonaire from Mexico cmpaign
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Médaille militaire (Military Medal)
    - Médaille de l'expédition du Mexique. 1862 – 1863 (Mexico Expedition Medal 1862 – 1863)
    [/FONT]

1680281143a0cf_o.jpg

Bavaria (Bayern) [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]King Ludwig Cross (König Ludwig-Kreuz)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Established by King Ludwig III on 7 January 1916 to government officials and volunter civilians for war effort. The Cross was striked in the Royal Bavarian Mint in Munich.[/FONT]

1648537922d0d0_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Saxe-Altenburg Bravery Medal (Tapferkeitsmedaille), 1918-1919[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Established by Duke Ernst II on 20 February 1915. Originally made in bronze, in 1918 shortages caused the medal to be issued in grey zinc. It was small Dutch and only about 2,300 medals in zinc were made.[/FONT]
    1604437184ce35_o.jpg

Two different types of ring system medals - Baden [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Commemorative Medal for 1849 (Gedächtnis-Medaille für 1849)[/FONT]

Established by Grand Duke Leopold on 9 August 1849 as a commemorative medal for the forces who helped restore order in the Baden.

157045050c868d_l.jpg

Some nice British ribbon bars as wwell;)

1431330323290b_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Boer war and First World War metal ribbon bar

14313305475f80_l.jpg

Advertisement