Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2011, 23:22   #151
hick

PR Release Feb Hike & Camp out

The 2nd outing of the year took the club down south this time.

The 10am start kicked off at 10.45 much to the chagrin of The President who is currently considering a new tardiness policy. The commitee is to ratify th new "If they turn up late they'll be left behind in future policy" at the next meet, this will superceed the "Should of left 'em behind" policy that was tabled on the day.

The camp was preceeded by a 5k hike up the side of the mountain and tree line through what what started out as a light rain but gradually increased throughout the day. Not long up the road I took some footage of the impressive flow of what is normally a large mountain stream but that day it was nature showing off. At this spot last May a few of the guys popped in for a paddle, needless to say there were no takers this day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60HVuakfwI

The hike although wet was great and despite the beautiful views the highlight was the river crossing. Due to the route and heavy rain we were faced with trying to cross the river at an awkward point just before we arrived at the site.

A lot of scouting was required and minor reroute to find an appropriate point to cross. Luckily for us we came across a point where there were some stones and we were able to cross using the fallen branches from on old dead beech tree.

We finally got to the site at about 14.30 and nearly everyone chipped in setting up the tarp for the camp and getting firewood, which was some craic given how wet it all was. We got the fire going about 16.00 and some folk began setting up their shelters while others continued getting the firewood. There were 8 of us out on the day so plenty was needed, incidently 2 newbies. Thankfully everyone got set up cos as ye can see below it didn't clear up much!

Most of us got dinner by 19.00 and then a few headed off for an early night, yes some of us need 14 hours sleep it seems!!!! The rest of us stayed up till around 10 before heading to bed. The main theme from this trip was ensuring you are prepared in future. Whether it's the right kit, from shoes to wet gear, or just a map so you know where to go, planning a trip such as this with as many folk in these conditions means that you have to be well prepared and I think the whole team got a good lesson out of this trip.

The camp rose round 8.30 and we got to making fire and breakfast
and some of us got to enjoy this view over a bowl of porridge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMq6SHeRftI

We took a more direct route back down to the carpark and got back down in good time, hitting the cars at around 12

A motley damp crew!

More updates to follow later
thanks to gris for the photos

Last edited by hick; 10-02-2011 at 00:00.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2011, 02:10   #152
Crapbag

Good job lads. Its good to see you out when conditions are less than ideal. This is when your skills are tested. Its always a learning experience.

Ill post an update from Beautiful British Columbia when I get photos together

Hick, welcome aboard mate!

That river had a good flow going. When it comes to river crossing, its always a good idea to air on the side of caution. The Mountain Leader syllabus will teach you that a river at knee height should not be crossed. Ive crossed similar rivers at waist height in a decent flow. Bad idea but we had no choice. We ended up using a group wedge to stabilize ourselves and got across at a slow steady pace. We loosened all bag straps and used the tallest person on the leading edge to judge the depth.

Last edited by Crapbag; 12-02-2011 at 02:20.
25-02-2011, 16:00   #153
hick

Guys Check this out if it's true it may get even harder to find spots!!
Looks like there's an initiative being explored with regards to selling off large portions of Forrestry in Ireland to private investors, there's info on the site and a petition

http://www.woodlandleague.org/

http://www.woodlandleague.org/docume...20Petition.pdf
25-02-2011, 21:09   #154
Le Loup

Selling The Forests!

The government were going to sell off forests in England too until recently. Now apparently they have changed their minds. Whether or not this was to do with the petition and all the signatures or not I can not say, but I suggest you chaps sign that petition ASAP.
Good Luck.
Regards, Le Loup.
15-03-2011, 22:50   #155
preacherman

March Meet

After a wet weekend out last month we were hoping that we would get some dry weather for our trip to Cavan. Unfortunately for us we seem to have attracted the wrath of a rainman ... Friday night was wet and cold but we managed. On Saturday morning it snowed but luckily for us our rainman had to leave early on Saturday and the sun came out ...

Looking back at the photographs food seems to have been the theme for this weekend. This was not planned but we did eat very well this weekend. We did get to practice some skills though in between eating

Tony gave a bowdrill demonstration

Fire by friction ....

Vegetarians may need to look away now ....

Steak cooked on a hot stone

Gearoid brought down this salmon and ponassed it for dinner

We decided to cook in a ground oven again

Leg of lamb ready to go in the ground oven

This is what came out ...

We identified some wild foods ... Burdock

We tapped a birch for sap ... a refreshing breakfast drink ...

The hammock village

All in all it was another sucessful club meet. We had a good mixture of old and new friends with plenty of craic around the fire ...

Andrew
Advertisement
15-03-2011, 23:46   #156
Le Loup

Excellent Post!

An excellent post, thank you.
16-03-2011, 00:09   #157
hick

was a shame to miss the saturday evening, looked like great craic,
I have a nice hock of ham in the freezer that could suit a April meet!!
Thanks to Roberto for the pics!

In the meantime I'd also like to thank Tom for the lift home that afternoon, just wish he'd lay off the whole religion stuff!!!
27.media.tumblr.com/iAEgbmoSti7eq0opNTpE8pCxo1_400.jpg
18-03-2011, 00:15   #158
PBrady223

Thanks for a great weekend great food and great crack.
18-03-2011, 17:47   #159
The Ambassador

Hi guys,

have room around the fire for one more? I can be useful, don’t eat too much and can be relatively well behaved when I put my mind to it. Mmmmmm, lamb. Now, where would one find the mint growing to make the jelly and what kind would it most likely be?
Advertisement
18-03-2011, 17:58   #160
IPNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
Looking back at the photographs food seems to have been the theme for this weekend. This was not planned but we did eat very well this weekend. We did get to practice some skills though in between eating

Andrew
Hey Brother, I think that Bushcraft IS about eating good food, sitting around a warm fire and having a hot cup of tea!

Nice weekend out lads. Great to see things happening.

Aebhric
18-03-2011, 19:03   #161
preacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ambassador View Post
Hi guys,

have room around the fire for one more? I can be useful, don’t eat too much and can be relatively well behaved when I put my mind to it. Mmmmmm, lamb. Now, where would one find the mint growing to make the jelly and what kind would it most likely be?

I recognise that accent ...

Andrew
18-03-2011, 19:07   #162
preacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPNA View Post
Hey Brother, I think that Bushcraft IS about eating good food, sitting around a warm fire and having a hot cup of tea!

Nice weekend out lads. Great to see things happening.

Aebhric
Hi Aebhric ... if bushcraft is about eating good food and drinking tea ... we do work hard at perfecting those particular skills...

Andrew
18-03-2011, 23:45   #163
Le Loup

Room around the cook fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ambassador View Post
Hi guys,

Don't know which country you are in, but welcome.
Keith aka Le Loup.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
18-03-2011, 23:58   #164
neolithic

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I recognise that accent ...

Andrew
You have me interested now, are there any ferrero rocher involved?
19-03-2011, 01:28   #165
preacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolithic View Post
You have me interested now, are there any ferrero rocher involved?
I don't think that this particular Ambassador will get the reference to Ferrero Rocher Tony

Andrew

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion