Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #12 - ScienceNerd

Options
  • 07-02-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is ScienceNerd.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What was the first metal or rock album you got?

What made you buy that particular album and how do you view that album nowadays in terms of how good or bad you think it now sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you like any other types of music outside of rock and metal?

What instrument would you love to be able to suddenly play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

whats the genre of rock/metal you despise the most?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Malice wrote: »
    1)What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    2)How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    3)What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    4)What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    5)What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    6)Where did your username come from?
    1) Difficult question really. I originally was more into the metal side of things, I suppose I was originally attracted to the intensity and attitude, especially with how it contrasted with more "mainstream sounds" such as rap and dance, which I was really put off by. A lot of my friends listened to it at the time so that was obviously an influence. I've mellowed down I suppose the last year or so, getting into rock a lot more.

2) Boards was recommended as a good website when I first started going online and the R&M was an obvious destination. I believe my first post was on here!

3) It's a friendly bunch on here, usually get decent discussion without too much elitism. Have gotten into a few bands thanks to recommendations here, there's a few posters I know have the same taste as me so I always pay attention to what they have to say.

4) Well football's a big interest, both playing and watching, follow Bohs (:() so am at matches every week. I'm in my third year of studying science and more than likely what I want to do as a career as I do find it really interesting.

5) Narrowing it down to one album seems almost impossible, I think I'll go with Ride the Lightning. Wouldn't be my favourite now, but was my 2nd album and introduced me to the "classic" metal sound, I still remember listening to the first few tracks and thinking "this is ****ing awesome". Definitely had a big impact on my music taste.

6) Username comes from a comic I used to doodle back in first year of secondary school :o Still relevant as I'm studying science but I'd probably consider changing it if I was a subscriber.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    What was the first metal or rock album you got?

What made you buy that particular album and how do you view that album nowadays in terms of how good or bad you think it now sounds?

Toxicity by System of a Down :). Bought it because I'd heard a few system tracks on Kerrang and liked what I'd heard and was told this was the best album. I view system now as slightly silly, but still enjoy listening to them and definitely still regard Toxicity as a good album.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you like any other types of music outside of rock and metal?

What instrument would you love to be able to suddenly play?
    R&M makes up about 95% of what I'd listen to (at least :p) I listen to a small amount of classical and "trailer music" such as Two Steps from Hell and few others. Good to stick on in the background the odd time. I love classical versions of rock songs, like London Philharmonic's tribute to Pink Floyd.

I actually played it as a child, but I'd love to be able to play piano properly.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    whats the genre of rock/metal you despise the most?
    I try not to be too judgemental and give most genres some sort of chance. As a general rule I don't like screaming/growling though (some exceptions such as Opeth, Amon Amarth). I suppose metalcore and anything around that sound would put me off immediately, just strikes me as fast guitars and drums with random yelling over it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's your favourite album artwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

did you know theres a photo of you and mrs claus on the shoctopus page :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Nailz wrote: »
    1)If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

2)If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

3)Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

4)What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

5)Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

6)What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.
    1) Going for musicians with somewhat similar style
    Freddy Mercury - Vocals
    Jimi Hendrix - Guitar, backing vocals
    Phil Lynott - Bass, backing vocals
    John Bonham - Drums

2)I mentioned piano above, but going heavy, drums would just be really fun. For a song I'd pick Ticks and Leeches by Tool

3) Eh, never really listened to either :o

4)

5)I have about 10 tshirts from rock/metal bands I'd wear regularly, probably a few more buried away somewhere. Favourite I'd go with my Porcupine Tree tshirt from their gig here in Dublin from few months back. I love the album artwork from The Incident and just reminds me of a great gig.

6) I honestly can't think of any movie soundracks that stand out for me (apart from the tenacious d movie :p), I'm not a movie buff by any stretch of the imagination.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    What's your favourite album artwork?
    Pain of Salvations Remedy Lane always stands out for me, simplistic yet powerful, and very related to the story of the album.

RemedyLane.jpg
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    did you know theres a photo of you and mrs claus on the shoctopus page :P

Yes, yes I do :D
    Denny M wrote: »
    1)What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

2)What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

3)What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

4)What other sections of boards do you frequent?

5)Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

6)If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

7)What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

8)Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

9)What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?
    1)I'd probably give to God is an Astronaut's 'Age of the Fifth Sun'. Wasn't a great year for releases I was interested in really.

2)Metallica in Marlay Park in '08, Tenacious D were support which was awesome too, great gig.

3)Hard to pick really, don't think I really hate any in particular, I usually just ignore a band if I don't like them, but I never got Guns and Roses really, outside of a few songs. Axl Rose being a twat doesn't help matters.

4)After Hours/Cool vids, Atheism and Agnosticism, Biology, DCU and Soccer would be my main haunts.

5)Horrible question :p At the moment I think my preference lies towards rock, but I do love both. I'd listen to a lot of bands which would be difficult to definitively pigeon into either section and I like that variety. Progressive rock/metal would be my favourite genre.

6)Steve Wilson
    Mike Akerfeldt
    Alex Lifeson
    Jordan Rudess
    Colin Edwin

7)Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd and Tool perhaps.

8)Out of the 4 I've only really listened to Metallica and Megadeth and my vote would go to Metallica.

9)Blind Guardian's release this year was fairly weak imo, very disappointing. Was definitely hoping for better.

• Advertisement

A lot of the questions are metal based so:

What was the first album that got you into Rock, away from heavier stuff?

A lot of the questions are metal based so:

What was the first album that got you into Rock, away from heavier stuff?
    I'd say 2112 by Rush, I'd gotten into prog metal and heard good things about Rush so decided to try them out, even if they were lighter than what I had usually listened to. Really enjoyed the album first time around and still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

What was the last gig that you went to?

What will be your next gig?

Since you mentioned prog rock/metal, if you were to suggest one or two albums to someone who had never heard prog before, what would you pick?

Assuming you are a Rush fan based on your comment on 2112, what do you think of Rush's 80's period?

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    What was the last gig that you went to?

What will be your next gig?

Since you mentioned prog rock/metal, if you were to suggest one or two albums to someone who had never heard prog before, what would you pick?

Assuming you are a Rush fan based on your comment on 2112, what do you think of Rush's 80's period?
    Last gig was the Saturday just gone Feeder in the Academy, good gig, great crowd and energy.

My next planned big gig is Rush in May, though if something pops up in the meantime I'll probably attend.

Well prog is an expansive genre, doesn't have one distinctive "sound" imo, so I'd want to give a good broad view of it, thus I'd recommend Rush's Moving Picures and Porcupine Tree's Deadwing.

Their 80's period is great :p Early 80s has the classics Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, then their was a bit of change in style, with keyboards/synthesizers becoming more prominent. Though I prefer the earlier stuff, still some great songs. The likes of Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A would be among my favourite Rush songs

Are there any albums by well known bands that you think are underrated?

If you had to give someone an album to define your musical taste, what would it be? (You can give one for rock and one for metal if you want)

Are there any albums by well known bands that you think are underrated?
    Dream Theater's 'Falling Into Infinity' I always thought was very good for an album usually overlooked.
    Blind Guardian's 'A Twist In The Myth' never really got the credit it deserved imo as well.
    If you had to give someone an album to define your musical taste, what would it be? (You can give one for rock and one for metal if you want)
    Em, probably go with Images and Words. A blend of rock and metal, complexity and subtlety .

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?

Malice wrote: »
    1)Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    2)Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    3)Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    4)Do you dress like a metalhead?
    5)What was the last album that you bought?
    6)Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?
    1)Gus G of of Firewind when they were playing here in '09. Had a chat with hi after the gig and got a photo with him, nice guy.

2)Not quite metal, but Axl Rose definitely. Can't stand the guy.

3)Simone Simons :)
    epica-simone-simons.jpeg

4)I wear the tshirts but thats about it, cut my hair fairly short the other week when it had been starting to get a bit long :o

5)Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry.

6)As a bassist: Geddy Lee, Justin Chancellor, Roger Waters. Though I don't have anything near the technical skill of the first 2 :o

Any more questions there folks?

Righto, thanks to everyone that posted questions and to ScienceNerd for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement