Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #13 - Useful.Idiot

Options
  • 20-02-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Useful.Idiot.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's the best and worst gigs you've ever attended?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

If you could play any musical instrument instantly what would it be?
    Do you listen to any other music outside rock and metal?
    Name an album you think is underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If you could go anywhere in the world to see a band where and when would it be?

What is your dream line up of a band, alive or dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What one band would you love to be still togther/alive today and releasing music, and what do you think they would sound like in 2011 and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

I think I first got into metal through hearing all the hard rock and contemporary metal that was blaring from my older brothers room next to mine. He would play bands like Tool and System of A Down along side more experimental heavier rock bands like At the Drive In and Refused. I immediately took a shining to it and it started me on my long path to metal. Was also helped along by various music channels, word of mouth and cd trading in school.

I only recently became a regular boardsie and being quite the metal head the Rock and Metal forum would naturally interest me! I keep coming back to the forum because I enjoy posting and reading all the discussions about albums, genres and news!

When not rocking out I play drums for two metal bands (haha suppose that still is rocking out.) One thrashy metalcore band and a developing unique sounding death metal band. Fackin love the drumming I do! Other than that I just enjoy the usual teenage things of going out on the rip and the like. Also studying computer applications in DCU.

I'm really not sure what album impacted me the most to be honest, Tools Lateralus was the first album to really blow my mind musically and they still remain one of my favourite bands so I suppose I would count that as one if any!

My username is also Tool related! Useful Idiot is an interlude track on their Ænima album. It actually is just a minute of radio silence but I thought the name sounded cool :P
    What's the best and worst gigs you've ever attended?

I actually haven't been to many metal gigs at all, with rock gigs way outnumbering the metal gigs I've been to. Rockwise Biffy Clyro in The Nerve Centre in Derry a few years back (2008?) was probably the best rock gig. Metalwise there would be a tie between a few! Opeth and Cynic in Vicar St. 2008, Mastodon in the Ambassador 2007 and Dublin Doom Day II there last year would all be strong contenders!

Not really sure about worst gigs, I have enjoyed most bands who I've seen in concert. I have however attended shows by various Oxegen bands such as Kings of Leon and the Coronas...ugh.
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended
    ?

Whoops forgot to quote these! ehhhh favourite album of 2010 may have to be Alcests Écailles de lune if I had to pick one! There were many great albums out last year though!

Big name metal gig...probably Machine Head!
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

Bring Me the Horizon. Not only are they **** but they are a bunch of planks.

Other than this fine forum, I usually peruse After Hours and various sections of the Games forum (mostly Call of Duty)

I hugely prefer metal, I wouldn't have one single favourite genre but I do mostly enjoy bands who fall into the Death, Black, Doom, Grind and Progressive categories...especially bands who mix one or more of these.

5 drinkers...would have to be every member of Mastodon and probably Danny Carey from Tool aswell.

Dream gig, Tool headlining with support from Primordial, Altar of Plagues and Gojira. Haha.

Its actually despicable that I don't listen to near enough of the Big 4 as I should, so I can't really judge on what little I have heard. I'd wager it would either be Megadeth or Slayer if I had to guess though.

Drudkh's latest album was a slight let down. It was enjoyable but it was nowhere near as mind blowing as some of their earlier works.

I will resume to answering the rest tomorrow. Have a very early start and I need me some sleep! :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lateralus or Ænima?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Favourite album art?

• Advertisement

If you could play any musical instrument instantly what would it be?
    Do you listen to any other music outside rock and metal?
    Name an album you think is underrated.

Well I already play drums and I would probably pick drums again if I couldn't play any instrument! Other than that though I would love to instantly know how to play guitar!

I would listen to any music that is well written really, I wouldn't dismiss any genre on the basis of it being too mainstream or too "light". I am quite the fan of any chillout music in all its forms whether it be acoustic or electronic. I am also starting to catch on to various genres of dance/electronic music aswell, whether it be house, ambient, dirty electro, drum n' bass, dubstep or trance. Dubstep was one that I initially detested at first, dismissing it as some other mediocre underground hipster music that was then adopted to appeal to the masses...but recently it really has clicked with me, especially the more old school stuff. I also really enjoy the more sinister and more extreme varieties of hardcore punk.

While considering that underrated doesn't mean that its not well known enough, I would probably go for... Altar of Plagues White Tomb album. It was very well recieved in Ireland but reviewers from all over the net just saw it as a decent black metal/post rock infusion. I saw it as an absolute masterpiece in modern metal music.
    If you could go anywhere in the world to see a band where and when would it be?

What is your dream line up of a band, alive or dead?

Well given the fact that I haven't seen a gig outside Ireland yet I would ****in love to see a gig somewhere sunny in the outdoors like South America or Spain or something!

I don't really like answering those kind of dream line up questions because realistically if you cut and pasted members from your various favourite bands you would most likely end up with a disaster haha.

What one band would you love to be still togther/alive today and releasing music, and what do you think they would sound like in 2011 and why?

Hmmmm this ones a toughie. There would be lots of bands I'd be interested to still see active today...The Beatles, Bathory and Kyuss are 3 that come to mind. But the band I would love to see active right now are probably System of A Down, my childhood obsession. I know that they are back from a hiatus and are playing some summer dates this year but I don't think they will be writing music anytime soon (which is what I really want to see).
    ya'll need to relax with the asking 20 million questions, i'm scratching my head trying to come up with a good one now.

Haha yeah man, but I suppose there's nothing better to do during downtime at work :P
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

What Rock/Metal song do you wish you wrote?

Are you a fan of wearing band merch, like T-Shirt's and shīt like that; and if so, how much do you have (roughly speaking) and what are your favourites?

What's your favourite film soundtrack, if you have one? Any genre if you like, but if you want it to be Metal for the sake of the forum, that's up to you.

Do you think the music that you listen to effects your outlook on everyday life?

I answered that question somewhere above...but If I had to name a "super band" it would probably be something humourously outrageous like "MEGA FÚCKERS!" haha

New instrument guitar...song to play would probably be this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc . If I knew that I'd be well able for most other music I enjoy! And its probably quite the dazzler at parties! :P

I'm afraid I have never properly listened to either of those bands so I can't answer that really!

I wish I wrote Stairway to Heaven!

I do enjoy wearing band t shirts but I would usually only wear them at gigs, bumming around town, band practice and lounging around the house. I wouldn't be wearing them going out to pubs/nightclubs/parties or anything like that! I think I have about 10 band t shirts, these days I'd usually only but them for bands I want to support...bought a Melechesh one there the other week that looks pretty sweet! I'd tend to go for the more old school black and white ones printed ones...and ones with cool "metal" looking designs on them.

Metal soundtracks would be shíte! haha. I am quite the fan of movie soundtracks, Hans Zimmer's ones are fantastic! My favourite would have to be soundtrack to the film Gladiator though, absolutely epic soundtrack! Blasting it through surround sound would just make you want to take to the streets with a sword and start going 90 as if it were 200 AD! haha

Music in general definitely improves my life in all aspects, and since I predominantly listen to metal, I would say that it has been heavy metal that has improved my life! Its just the adrenaline and extremity of it (and even sometimes the beauty of it) kind of lets you go to another world, so to speak. It wouldn't really effect how I view myself in society or my appearance or anything like that but I am definitely heavy metal in spirit!
    Lateralus or Ænima?

Haha, man this is like one of the hardest questions of all time. At the start I actually preferred "Ænima", it was Tool turning into masterminds that they are now...but still with a bit of the raw edge that they had on Undertow. But in the end I would have to go with Lateralus...it probably is just a better album as a whole. Its more flowing than Ænima and it doesn't have as much of the pointless interludes. Still both absolutely essential albums though!
    Favourite album art?

I don't have a specific favourite so I'll put down a few :)

sp033.jpg
    56655.gif
    destroyer-666-unchain-the-wolves.jpg
    759.jpg
    DC_graves.jpg
    Cruciamentum-Front.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How uaeful are you?

How uaeful are you?

Not very useful* at all. Though I can sometimes be useful with correcting spelling errors :)

Liking the answers so far dude.

As you are from Dundalk, do you attend the Spirits Store much or are there any other Rock/Metal pubs that are hidden from me? :)

I am quite the fan of any chillout music in all its forms whether it be acoustic or electronic. I am also starting to catch on to various genres of dance/electronic music aswell, whether it be house, ambient, dirty electro, drum n' bass, dubstep or trance. Dubstep was one that I initially detested at first, dismissing it as some other mediocre underground hipster music that was then adopted to appeal to the masses...but recently it really has clicked with me, especially the more old school stuff. I also really enjoy the more sinister and more extreme varieties of hardcore punk.
    Got any recommendations for those genres?

Liking the answers so far dude.

As you are from Dundalk, do you attend the Spirits Store much or are there any other Rock/Metal pubs that are hidden from me?

Cheers man. The "Shtore" is indeed my regular spot! Would end up there most weekends and I have gigged there countless times. Top notch sound for such a small venue! There wouldn't really be any other rock/metal pubs in town...the store wouldn't even be a metal pub, its just friendly to metal bands gigging there on certain nights

There is another place though, Sidez, a nightclub in the town center which held the first (of hopefully many) Dundalk alternative "Session" night. Its meant to be a monthly night in which Metal/Rock/Punk bands play upstairs while Dubstep/Grime/Break DJ's play downstairs. I also played at that one! It was an unreal night! Very alternative crowd and a very good turnout!
    Got any recommendations for those genres?
    Oh Malice, haha. Yes I shall throw up a myriad of lovely youtube links for some of this stuff :)

Chillout/Ambient:

House:

Dirty Electro:

Drum n' bass:

Dubstep: (High levels of volume and bass needed to enjoy these properly!)

Jaisus, tis a bit weird not bashing out loads of links to underground death and black metal bands! haha

edit: For hardcore, these two Irish bands would embody the kind of stuff I'd really enjoy!
    http://www.myspace.com/trenchfootwaste
    http://www.myspace.com/drainlanddublin

• Registered Users Posts: 47 [Diabolical]

Is it true that you're so metal you have your balls pierced? :rolleyes:

Is it true that you're so metal you have your balls pierced? :rolleyes:

hahaha, thanks Sarah :) oh aye it is true!

hahaha, thanks Sarah :) oh aye it is true!

That's Metal.

Saint Vitus?

That's Metal.

Saint Vitus?

Saint Vitus? What about 'em? I've never listened to them properly before even though I should as I am quite a fan of Doom! Your mention of them prompted me to good check them out on youtube...very old school sounding stuff. Sounds great!

• Advertisement

Excellent! To be honest I just through it out there, was listening to some good old Saint Vitus when I was in work and I typed it.

Have you ever worked with people whom with you decide to pick the music in turns - whilst tolerating what they want to listen to for about 8 hours in the day, then when your 1 hour comes around, they want you to turn it down?

Nailz wrote: »
    Excellent! To be honest I just through it out there, was listening to some good old Saint Vitus when I was in work and I typed it.

Have you ever worked with people whom with you decide to pick the music in turns - whilst tolerating what they want to listen to for about 8 hours in the day, then when your 1 hour comes around, they want you to turn it down?

Well I'm not sure what you mean by working with people with music playing as my work isn't a music friendly place, but like I'd only put on metal and stuff if I was with like minded people, wouldn't put it on at parties or anything as it would probably alter the mood somewhat :P Though when I was living in Dublin in our apartment, all my roommates would be blaring music out of their rooms and I would follow suit. Electro coming out of one, alt rock/indie coming out of another and finally death metal blasting out of my room :) its quite the weird mix when you're standing in the hallway! hah

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

As you've mentioned you're a drummer,

1. What kind of kit and cymbals do you use? (a pic would be nice!)

2. Who is your favourite drummer?

3. Who do you think is the most over and underrated drummers out ther today?

4. Is there a specific metal song you wish you could drum too but cant yet?

As you've mentioned you're a drummer,

1. What kind of kit and cymbals do you use? (a pic would be nice!)

2. Who is your favourite drummer?

3. Who do you think is the most over and underrated drummers out ther today?

4. Is there a specific metal song you wish you could drum too but cant yet?

I use the starter Pearl Target kit that I have reskinned, a Tama snare I nicked off my mate who doesn't play anymore (thats apparently 300 quid?) and a mixture of Paiste RUDE and Alpha cymbals. pic heeeeere
    2jcc8xk.jpg

Not exactly the prettiest of kits haha, chunk missing out of my crash and a blue Pearl Export floor tom I borrowed off another mate!

Favourite drummer changes every few weeks. Always been a big time fan of Danny Carey...but I am seriously digging this guy at the mo

Drummers that are most influential to my own drumming are probably Brann Dailor and Chris Adler!

Overrated drummers: Travis Barker, Dave Grohl, Joey Jordison, Mike Portnoy

Underrated drummers: Blake Richardson, Mario Duplantier, Martin Lopez

Song I would love to know would have to be one of these two :)

Cheers for the Q's man!

chunk missing out of my crash
    How did that happen?

Malice wrote: »
    How did that happen?

haha, just from bashing it really! I hit very very hard and possibly wrong sometimes...a miniscule crack formed one day and it just got worse from then! Wouldn't expect something like that to happen to a 20" Rock Crash!

Not exactly the prettiest of kits haha, chunk missing out of my crash and a blue Pearl Export floor tom I borrowed off another mate!

We all start somewhere dude!

Drummers that are most influential to my own drumming are probably Brann Dailor and Chris Adler!

My exact favourite at the moment too!
    Overrated drummers: Travis Barker, Dave Grohl, Joey Jordison, Mike Portnoy

I concur, but portnoy deserves some credit, although I think he is a pleb.
    Underrated drummers: Blake Richardson, Mario Duplantier, Martin Lopez

Must check these guys out, cheers! Gotta love fellow drummers :D

How are you finding those Axis longboards? Do the improve playing, i.e ridiculous Lamb of God syncapated feet patterns??

How are you finding those Axis longboards? Do the improve playing, i.e ridiculous Lamb of God syncapated feet patterns??

They ain't Axis Longboards man, but Pearl Demon Drives! They're meant to have a similar feel, I really like them. I don't think they really make you able to stuff you weren't able to before, but for speedy bursts like Chris Adlers foot work it is a fair bit easier! Managed to nab them for 400 euro!

• Advertisement

They ain't Axis Longboards man, but Pearl Demon Drives! They're meant to have a similar feel, I really like them. I don't think they really make you able to stuff you weren't able to before, but for speedy bursts like Chris Adlers foot work it is a fair bit easier! Managed to nab them for 400 euro!

Oh right my bad, I had a go off the single pedal and its not bad actually, and for 400 bucks that pretty damn good!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement