Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIAC Hotels - Moved from the dog thread

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Not being smart or anything, but having recently visited a friend in Villawood,

A dog was better taken care of while in immigration!!

A Dogs digs were definitely nicer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ah but....

Dogs dont burn down buildings, attack the emergency services or build improvised bombs....

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

HAHA i know.
    Luckily he got deported 6 days before that riot started.

But considering he being billed for every night he was kept there - and by the sounds of it the dog was better fed too!

Good thread OP, I wonder does anyone know about bringing a dog from Australia back to Ireland - is it less strict with quarantine at home.
    I'm considering getting a dog here but there's always the chance I could end up going home in a few years. The dog would definitely have to come too. I'd be a wreck otherwise.

Lucky alright, as a matter of intrest how much is a night in Hotel l' Villawood?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Lucky alright, as a matter of intrest how much is a night in Hotel l' ?

$200 a night - he was kept for 8 nights while they put paperwork together.
    We are all convinced that it was purely a money making scam as when he was taken into custody by immigration officers they told him they could have him on a flight the next day/were originally going to release him after questionning to let him book a flight for the next couple of days on his own accord.

Instead they detained him for 8 days for no good reason, he was fobbed off with excuses and then charged him for the cost of an open dated flight home - substantially higher than a flight he would have got himself.

Not getting into any arguments that he shouldn't have stayed illegally etc BUT it is fair to see he was really ripped off during the deportation process - hes now a few grand out of pocket when it could have been as simple as around $1200 for a one way flight home. Anway, prob the wrong thread to be discussing all this in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MOD many thanks to Amybabes for giving the OK for this to be a new thread. No talk of Dags on this thread

I have no doubt the detention centre is not the best place to stay.

However I am curious as to how he got to end up there as in.

Why did he overstay, how did he get caught, etc

Plus who pays the DIAC did they bill the persons goverment and expect them to chase him for the cash etc ?

• Advertisement

My friend was here illegally with about a year and a half. He falsely used ABN details like so many others in 2009 to apply for his second visa.
    Unluckily for him, it was through the notorious "Kevin Doyle" who was caught by immigration and he received an email cancelling his second year visa and giving him 28 days to leave the country.

I really don't want to get into a debate over him fradulently using abn details and not doing the regional work, and i don't want to have to defend his overstaying the 28 day period post visa cancellation. It wasn't me and I'd prefer to keep my opinion to myself on that as I know it's a touchy subject on here.

He managed to work away cash in hand and had no trouble in that aspect. Obviously he was unable to leave the country etc.
    He didn't put his name or address details on anything official like a lease/bill - he moved around a bit in Sydney in the time after his visa was cancelled.

First he knew of it was about 5 weeks ago when immigration raided his house looking for him. Not exaggerating, there was 12 immigration officers at the house, blocking all doors and windows and everyone in the house was asked for passport and visa details.

He was brought away for questionning and as previously stated, they were originally going to deport him straight away or else release him and give him a day or two to leave on his own accord.

Instead he ended up in Villawood for 8 days. No real reason given to him as to why he had to be kept there for so long. Flights were available. Paperwork was mentioned.

The debt of detention stay and open dated flight are billed to the Irish Government and will be his debt to repay to them. Have not heard if the Irish Govt add anything to it (admin fees etc)
    Bear in mind that his passport is now marked and he's not likely to get a visa for anywhere else with a deportation black mark against him

A very sorry story no matter what your opinion of overstaying a visa is.
    I visited Villawood. It is like a shanty town and he was the only English speaking person in his block. It was quite scary being in there visiting and there was a group of us, so I can imagine how he felt with no visitors. Detainees were allowed free reign in the recreation/visiting area - dancing, shouting, blaring music (and not the kind you'd hear on mainstream radio stations if you get me). Big groups making lots of noise.
    The facilities where we were were pretty bad and he said what was behind the walls was ten times worse.

I guess my advice to anyone in the same position would be to try and avoid detention centres if at all possible. If you are illegal and get caught - push to get deported straight away, believe me you don't want to end up there.

Also,

In case anyone was wondering.... We are pretty sure that someone tipped off immigration as to his whereabouts as they had been monitoring the house for a few days. And they came looking for him by name. He lived in a pretty low key area there's no way they found him by chance.

We also have a fair idea of who it was. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ohh a thread about illegals, looking forward to this

*sits back and opens popcorn
    scarjo_popcorn.gif

amybabes wrote: »
    Also,

In case anyone was wondering.... We are pretty sure that someone tipped off immigration as to his whereabouts as they had been monitoring the house for a few days. And they came looking for him by name. He lived in a pretty low key area there's no way they found him by chance.

We also have a fair idea of who it was. :mad:

Yeah that will become more common.

I know couple of boys legally working in construction saying that there is quite a few lads willing to work illegally on tourist visa for cash in hand & less money than the usual going rate, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amybabes wrote: »
    In case anyone was wondering.... We are pretty sure that someone tipped off immigration as to his whereabouts

It's not uncommon, what ever about opinions on illegals. i really don't see the point in tipping off immigration, you gain nothing and really mess up somebodys situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If people make a conscious decision to take the easy way out and skirt the law then they can't complain when the gravy train hits the buffers in my opinion. As for tipping them off, was it a disgruntled ex or something? It's pretty nasty.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not uncommon, what ever about opinions on illegals. i really don't see the point in tipping off immigration, you gain nothing and really mess up somebodys situation.

Well the person who tipped off immigration must have wanted him to be sent home. Mission accomplished in that sense!
    ballooba wrote: »
    If people make a conscious decision to take the easy way out and skirt the law then they can't complain when the gravy train hits the buffers in my opinion. As for tipping them off, was it a disgruntled ex or something? It's pretty nasty.

We suspect it was his girlfriend's ex - all evidence points that way and i honestly cannot think of one other person who would do that to him.

It was a truly horrible way to go, didn't get to pack up him stuff - they only allowed him to grab a few bits, didn't get to say goodbye to anyone, didn't get to wrap up any of his affairs here - sell stuff etc. He knew he was in the wrong staying here illegally but it was, as is to a lot of people, a better option than going home. He's sure paying the price now. Hefty bill and a ban, and can't see him getting a visa for anywhere else.

Thanks for sharing that amy.

Here's the thing how did he actually see it ending? Its an honest question not judging here.

I was actually thinking it was probably some relationship thing. Easy way to get your rival out of the way.

Here's the thing how did he actually see it ending? Its an honest question not judging here.

I was actually thinking it was probably some relationship thing. Easy way to get your rival out of the way.

Zambia wrote: »

No worries :cool:

Being honest, he was so paranoid about it. Didn't even use a bank, paid cash for everything, got nothing sent to him, name was on nothing. He moved house every few months. He knew it was always a danger of happening.

Yeah it worked out well for the ex, but the general feeling of our wide community of friends and acquaintences is that it was the lowest of the low. Yer man's Irish too. Drank in the same bar as him the last few years. Judas of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That's pretty nasty. People in love (albeit unrequited) are often irrational. Hopefully karma sorts him out.

Yeah thats a sh*t anybabes, thats not good enough reason to sink someone.

Thanks for sharing that story with us.

I kind of sit on the fence when it comes to illegals as have had a 3 or 4 friends overstay years, most have went home when they reckon their time is up. Actually had one that went straight and got PR and came back. Another guy from Tyrone came here when he was 18 and went home at 36, 18 years of being illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah thats a sh*t anybabes, thats not good enough reason to sink someone.

Thanks for sharing that story with us.

I kind of sit on the fence when it comes to illegals as have had a 3 or 4 friends overstay years, most have went home when they reckon their time is up. Actually had one that went straight and got PR and came back. Another guy from Tyrone came here when he was 18 and went home at 36, 18 years of being illegal.

As for amybabes friend-why didn't he just move to another city away from yer man? It's a big country-you can be invisible if you want. Still...sucks to be caught and sent home.

MOD I have deleted a few posts and associated stuff we all know where it leads.

Amy sorry for repeating the question but really did he ever think how will this end?

In any country how long can you live without encountering some form of government involvement. Currently Mrs Z is due to have a baby so we are in the middle of applying for parental leave etc. It does ask for proof of visa status. I can understand if you live in some 3rd world country where the government provides little or no assistance. However Ireland is not that country.

Regardless of the right or wrong aspect. Staying illegally is basically akin to cashing in your chips way to early. Unless of course you are a diswasher on a rig earning enough money in that year to buy a house back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Hey Amy,
    Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting to hear about how overstayers are treated when caught.
    cheers

• Advertisement

No worries guys.

Hopefully nobody reading ends up leaving Australia the same way.
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone to be honest

Advertisement