Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Passat

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Any advice on this guys? Particularly in terms of what to look for, what to ask about?

Have a 1.4L astra (3 door) and need a 5 door with isofix (kiddie friendly) and a bigger boot than the Astra. Got the Astra from these guys and given the good customer service we got would like to go with them again if it worked.

http://www.mcchesneys.ie/UsedCars.aspx?make=Volkswagen&model=Any%20Model&Year=0

Cheers,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Not a bad motor. Only worry is the DMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Aha, looked that up there.

Should I check to see it's been changed?

How much would a Dual Mass Flywheel cost to change if it did go?

And finally, I've done snooping around the web but can't get any consistent figures - any idea of MPG figures for this? Presume it'll come out better than our 1.4 Litre petrol Astra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And the fuel pump

quad_red wrote: »
    Aha, looked that up there.

Should I check to see it's been changed?

How much would a Dual Mass Flywheel cost to change if it did go?

And finally, I've done snooping around the web but can't get any consistent figures - any idea of MPG figures for this? Presume it'll come out better than our 1.4 Litre petrol Astra :)

You should check and make sure the timing belt is done. Expect 45-50 MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't touch a new 05/06 new shape Passat, they had alot of issues. Aim for a 07 or newer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I'm not sure if the petrol models have a DMF, mostly thats is a diesel problem.

The 05 on model passats are begining to show a few problems now as they get older, electronic handbrakes, suspension arms/bushes and I've seen a few higher milage ones with very worn out looking interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xibateew

06 140bhp 2.0 litre engine are nothing but trouble - will never buy a VW again, in the last 3 months I have spent 2,600e:eek: on replacing the steering rack and number 1 injecter. They are 4 injectors and they will all go. 1 injecter to replace costed me 1,080e:eek: that included getting my car towed which was 100e. Also the handbrake gives problems, the dual mass flywheel which I hear costs over 1000e to replace gives serious problems. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

HI All

I am sorry to high jack the Op's tread, But I am looking at an 05 Passat (Last of the Old model) it has 76k on it, the garage is looking for 8,000? Is this a lot? It is a uk import, He is doing the timing Kit (I was surprised to see that it has not been done at 79K, he is also clearing it and doing an NCT on it)

What would be a fair price for me to offer him? By the way he informed me that the first of the new shapes Passat were a load of crock and that I could find new shaped 05 model Passat for less money than what I would pay for a decent Passat B5.5

Any opinions would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

HI All

I am sorry to high jack the Op's tread, But I am looking at an 05 Passat (Last of the Old model) it has 76k on it, the garage is looking for 8,000? Is this a lot? It is a uk import, He is doing the timing Kit (I was surprised to see that it has not been done at 79K, he is also clearing it and doing an NCT on it)

What would be a fair price for me to offer him? By the way he informed me that the first of the new shapes Passat were a load of crock and that I could find new shaped 05 model Passat for less money than what I would pay for a decent Passat B5.5

Thanks

being imported and of the old models its prob very high spec but i still wouldnt be offering any more than 6,200

• Advertisement

Well he has an 04 model with 113 K good spec again on it and is looking or 7 for it. He has a decent rep in the area and is offering a warranty with it. I am unfortunately not good at Bargaining, He said because I was dealing with Cash he would leave it go for 7500.

Well he has an 04 model with 113 K good spec again on it and is looking or 7 for it. He has a decent rep in the area and is offering a warranty with it. I am unfortunately not good at Bargaining, He said because I was dealing with Cash he would leave it go for 7500.

7500 would be crazy money for it. Great car though OP and a lot better than than the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ha, he most likely has sensed your reluctance to bargin. €7500 is mad money for a 6 year old shape Passat. I would not pay any more than €6500 for it to be honest and I would verify the service history with the garages that serviced it on a 6 year old diesel car with only 76k on the clock. Too easy for these cars to be clocked these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

quad_red wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it's best avoided.

Not at all OP.

I bought a used 06 1.9TDI in november and I'm very happy with it.

Very comfortable and has been faultless in 6k miles I've covered since then.

It currently has over 117k miles and the MPG has been very good, 47mpg-53mpg depending on how and where I'm driving it

The 2L is best avoided but as long as all the work has been done correctly they are a very good car.

Every car has its faults btw the prices for the models posted above are crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

xibateew wrote: »
    06 140bhp 2.0 litre engine are nothing but trouble - will never buy a VW again, in the last 3 months I have spent 2,600e:eek: on replacing the steering rack and number 1 injecter. They are 4 injectors and they will all go. 1 injecter to replace costed me 1,080e:eek: that included getting my car towed which was 100e. Also the handbrake gives problems, the dual mass flywheel which I hear costs over 1000e to replace gives serious problems. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR

What kind, if any symptoms was the car showing before the injector went? I have a 2.0TDI 2006 and am getting worried about all this negativity......

I know, I will see if there is any room for Bargaining with him, Basically I am looking for a diesel car within the Passat class, Mondeo, Golf, A3, A4, S40 all considered

-Corkie- wrote: »
    7500 would be crazy money for it. Great car though OP and a lot better than than the new one.

Corkie, you think I could roll in now and say that all I can muster up is 6500?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I know, I will see if there is any room for Bargaining with him, Basically I am looking for a diesel car within the Passat class, Mondeo, Golf, A3, A4, S40 all considered
    I'd say a lot of the Passat problems transfer to the Audi's, they are usually exactly the same apart from panels, mouldings, trim.
    What about 307 or 308 in diesel? They drive ok but have biscuit tin body compared to the German.

About the 04 passat, 6k maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

HI All

Thanks

I bought the same car 1.9tdi in October which was also an import. Its a high spec with alloays cc etc...Paid 6k for it. that was a good deal and cars runnin great but 8k is way over the price

Moanin wrote: »
    What kind, if any symptoms was the car showing before the injector went? I have a 2.0TDI 2006 and am getting worried about all this negativity......

No symptons at all. They will just stop in the middle of the road. I am told the biggest culprit is the wiring loom as that causes the Injector to short. Now that costs 250 euo so you could say if I replaced that it would stop the problem.

I always thought it only happened if your filters were manky but I was wrong.

• Advertisement

No symptons at all. They will just stop in the middle of the road. I am told the biggest culprit is the wiring loom as that causes the Injector to short. Now that costs 250 euo so you could say if I replaced that it would stop the problem.

I always thought it only happened if your filters were manky but I was wrong.

I just had 1 injector replaced and the wiring loom. Has anyone had the wiring loom replaced and no injectors go after that. Does anyone know why these injectors go

Moanin wrote: »

with the steering rack the steering wheel icon lit up on dashboard. they ran dianostics and had to replace the steering rack. When the injector went they were no signs just car cut out while I was driving. tankfully I was going slow. I have no confidence in this car. I am going down south later this week but am afraid more injectors will go:mad:

jj72 wrote: »
    I bought the same car 1.9tdi in October which was also an import. Its a high spec with alloays cc etc...Paid 6k for it. that was a good deal and cars runnin great but 8k is way over the price

Hey JJ, If these are over priced would it be worth considering buying from the UK? or would a six year old car be not worth the hassle?

Hey JJ, If these are over priced would it be worth considering buying from the UK? or would a six year old car be not worth the hassle?

It is worth considering atleast. Have a look on the english sites and see allthough getting a low mileage car will be tough.

It is worth considering atleast. Have a look on the english sites and see allthough getting a low mileage car will be tough.

THnaks, I would love to know how much these could be bought for (Before VRT) I am assuming that there is movement in the prices as with our own sites

THnaks, I would love to know how much these could be bought for (Before VRT) I am assuming that there is movement in the prices as with our own sites

About 3.5k for a car with 100k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

Hi guys i have a problem here my car will not move in reverse or forward (obv handbreak is down) .. the thing is i have last started it back in september. And today it wont even move! any 1 with an idea what might be causing this?
    cheers

arsenalia wrote: »
    Hi guys i have a problem here my car will not move in reverse or forward (obv handbreak is down) .. the thing is i have last started it back in september. And today it wont even move! any 1 with an idea what might be causing this?
    cheers

Start a new thread with your car details etc.

About 3.5k for a car with 100k miles.

wow I was not aware of that, 3500K sterling I assume? I am looking also into Peugots 406's but I am aware of potential issue's, I guess I am not allowed mention the Octavia word am I?

• Advertisement

wow I was not aware of that, 3500K sterling I assume? I am looking also into Peugots 406's but I am aware of potential issue's, I guess I am not allowed mention the Octavia word am I?

Yep sterling. I would prefer the older Passat TBH over the Octy or Peugeot.

Advertisement