Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2011

Options
  • 09-01-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭

A bit late starting a thread for this year. First XC race was in Tymon yesterday, anyone here do it? Didn't get to it myself but reports of a real mud-bath. The next one is a 5mile in Cherryfield Pk on the Firhouse Rd in two weeks - 22nd Jan. Its a flat, easy course, a good introduction to anyone who's thinking of giving cross-country a go.
    Details are on the www.bhaa.ie site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Did this myself and can confirm it was very muddy! Some dodgy puddles too and an ice cold wind blowing on a couple of stretches! Still good fun though and a well run event as usual from the BHAA. Cant beat the brack afterwards with a cup of tea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Is the 5k that was postponed before Christmas on next week or has it been cancelled altogether?

Didn't make it along yesterday, was at a certain north London stadium watching my heroes scraping a draw against a very average team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I agree it was a very tough course, very mucky, waterlogged in places and icy in parts (there was a few fallers). There was a good atmosphere, I think everyone was happy to be out racing again. There was over 200 in the mens race

No mention of the 5k race, they announced the next race was on saturday week in Cherryfield park which is a 5 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

gerard65 wrote: »
    A bit late starting a thread for this year. First XC race was in Tymon yesterday, anyone here do it? Didn't get to it myself but reports of a real mud-bath. The next one is a 5mile in Cherryfield Pk on the Firhouse Rd in two weeks - 22nd Jan. Its a flat, easy course, a good introduction to anyone who's thinking of giving cross-country a go.
    Details are on the www.bhaa.ie site.
    I did this race and it was a bit mucky in parts & windy. It was gud 2 get out & race 2 blow away all d cobwebs from Xmas. Im gona do d Cherryfield 1 as well. Ive done it 4 d las 2yrs & its a gud course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xebec wrote: »
    Is the 5k that was postponed before Christmas on next week or has it been cancelled altogether?

Didn't make it along yesterday, was at a certain north London stadium watching my heroes scraping a draw against a very average team :pac:

They said they were going to rearrange it for the new year. Doesn't seem to be any news yet. Bruce, Schmeichel, Snoddy and Becchio WERE heroes on Saturday against that average team in r*d, I agree.

Might head out to this one in Cherryfield. I assume this is a better start up race than the one at the ward I wanted to do Gerard? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Might head out to this one in Cherryfield. I assume this is a better start up race than the one at the ward I wanted to do Gerard? :pac:
    Ye, its mainly around the GAA pitches, one small hill and fairly firm under feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I found it very tough going on Saturday. Great race though and I'll probably do the next one. That brack was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Ran the XC in Tymon on Saturday and agree it was a real slog... mud, wind and the excesses of Christmas slowing everybody down!

Was a lot slower than I'd have liked, but just glad to be back racing again.

One gripe though... GET OFF THE PATHS!! I'm all for running the racing line, and being as efficient as possible, but it's a cross country event! There was quite a number of people running on the tarmac paths beside to the course which really irritated me (probably because they were overtaking me by using the path - I subsequently overtook them on the mud!). I suppose there was nothing to stop you, but if you want to run on the road, do a road race!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

I did the BHAA in Tymon park on Saturday morning...

In contrast to the comments on it being mucky, I found it better than expected but this is probably based on my comparison of the BHAA before it in mid-November: The NSRT SMART 'Real Cross Country' was what you call a tough, mucky and grueling course. It was snowing very heavy. Getting to St. Margarets was a challenge in itself! Running through the snow, the ground was also very rough and coupled with the snow, it was difficult to ascertain the many bumps and forthcoming hills. It was very windy too, and bitterly cold! Running into a river twice made the feet numb on disembarking it again! .... So it made Tymon park on saturday feel like a piece of cake!

I'm glad I changed 9mm spikes over to 12mm saturday morning though as it was very soft and muddy in places, agreed. Great morning though.... glad to have missed the rain later too :)

lizanne83 wrote: »
    I did the BHAA in Tymon park on Saturday morning...

In contrast to the comments on it being mucky, I found it better than expected but this is probably based on my comparison of the BHAA before it in mid-November: The NSRT SMART 'Real Cross Country' was what you call a tough, mucky and grueling course. It was snowing very heavy. Getting to St. Margarets was a challenge in itself! Running through the snow, the ground was also very rough and coupled with the snow, it was difficult to ascertain the many bumps and forthcoming hills. It was very windy too, and bitterly cold! Running into a river twice made the feet numb on disembarking it again! .... So it made Tymon park on saturday feel like a piece of cake!

I'm glad I changed 9mm spikes over to 12mm saturday morning though as it was very soft and muddy in places, agreed. Great morning though.... glad to have missed the rain later too :)

Also did the NSRT race, and absolutely agree with lizanne, it was tough and great fun. I still found the SDCC course harder underfoot and more energy sapping. I think the frozen ground at the NSRT allowed for easier running.

The mens race in Tymon was three laps, and being wet the previous day, and with a herd of 200+ stomping around it really cut up the course. I certainly found some of the sections like running through treacle! Looking forward to next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Agreed 2 decent tough XC races. I always feel that the Cherryfield park race is less of a slog and then things get a little tougher again when we go to swords for the NCF race.

figs wrote: »
    One gripe though... GET OFF THE PATHS!! I'm all for running the racing line, and being as efficient as possible, but it's a cross country event! There was quite a number of people running on the tarmac paths

Always happens in this particular race Figs. I seen it too and it made me more determined to pass those guys when they got back in the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

it happened last year in swords aswell for the farmers race. I think they should tape off the paths or part of them and make an announcement at the start. Very frustrating when people stroll by on the path while you're slogging through the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

There was a bust up between two runners in the AIB Maynooth BHAAA race a couple of years ago over one of them running on a path. I remember stewarding at it and saw both of the going hell for leather and a big jostle where the path ended an both had to go around a corner.

At the time I thought that they were having a good old battle but later heard that there were fists flying when they got to the finish.

...so mind yourself there Figs!!!:D

geld wrote: »
    there were fists flying when they got to the finish.

...so mind yourself there Figs!!!:D

no worries for me... I'm a runner, not a fighter!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Saturday sees the second race of the BHAA season with the 2 mile womens/5 mile mens cross country trot (or faster) in Cherryfield Park, Templeogue. This is a good flat but challenging course. Start times are at 11.30 & noon. Sharpen those spikes, the weather will be warmer. :D

Anyone else having problems renewing their membership on line?. Won't let me continue without picking a company on their database, but I'm in a team for IT self-employed which isn't listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

gerard65 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems renewing their membership on line?. Won't let me continue without picking a company on their database, but I'm in a team for IT self-employed which isn't listed.

Seems your on the team already

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/houses/team/id/49

easiest is to just blame stmochtas

emerald007 wrote: »
    Seems your on the team already

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/houses/team/id/49

easiest is to just blame stmochtas
    I hav'nt renewed my membership yet for this year and I thought there might be a way to do it online, but no worries, I'll do it on Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You should have an empty spot in that team this year as I'll not be around, unless you have already filled it.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    You should have an empty spot in that team this year as I'll not be around, unless you have already filled it.

I thought you were irreplaceable ;) We managed to find a few lonely IT lads at the last race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good stuff, greatness for the IT A Team awaits...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

The last A-Team remake I saw was shocking, even Liam Neeson.;)

First time doing the Eircom / Cherryfield race today, and found it very enjoyable. Good flat route in dry conditions, and ground was pretty solid underfoot. Nice to see the organisers ensuring the footpaths were out of bounds. As always with the BHAA, the organisation was excellent. Thanks to BHAA and Eircom guys who made today happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

First time doing the Eircom / Cherryfield race today, and found it very enjoyable. Good flat route in dry conditions, and ground was pretty solid underfoot. Nice to see the organisers ensuring the footpaths were out of bounds. As always with the BHAA, the organisation was excellent. Thanks to BHAA and Eircom guys who made today happen.

Yep very nice course , first time running this one too.

Great event as usual. Shocked at how well I ran today. A minute faster than last year with very little training and a head and chest cold. Next one in two weeks in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Another well run race. Big turnout, I think organiser said around 280. Ideal conditions, solid underfoot, nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Yup, I concur…. great course, perfect weather… great atmosphere. Ground was a bit hard for 12mm spikes though. Nice chatting with Shels and Gerard, etc, afterwards eating cake. Starting to put faces to these names now ;) Good meeting you. See you at the farmers hay-hurdling in a few weeks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Would I be correct in saying Rachel Coffey should be replaced with Peter Matthews ?

fixed

Advertisement