Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a safe buried in concrete

Options
  • 03-01-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about opening a floor safe buried in concrete ? I know I can (and will) contact a professional to have it opened, but I'm happy to try out some DIY steps first to see if I can open it.

We moved house recently and the old owner told me there was a floor safe buried in the garage floor but he hasn't been able to open it since he bought the house over 15 years ago.

I have the key but it doesn't turn. It's more than a little bit likely that a lot of dust and sundry garage crud has fallen into the opening and is stopping the key from going all the way into the mechanism, although it does go a fair bit of the way in.

I have tried a hoover to suck as much out as I can, but still no joy. If I can find anyone with one of those special small places hoovers I will try that and see if the suction is better.

I could possibly try putting in some sort of liquid to dissolve the crud and, errr . . . I dunno, manage to get the liquid out somehow. Maybe that's not such a good idea afterall.

Does anyone have any wise ideas they can pass on ?

The safe is tube shaped - about the size of one of those cardboard containers for a bottle of whiskey. All that's exposed on the top is the keyhole and a handle to lift the safe out with. The safe itself is about 2 or 3 inches below the surface of the garage floor, so even to get anywhere near the sides of the safe would involve some very major (for me anyway) concrete removal. Why do they make these things so darn hard to open . . . :eek:

As is usual in the zag household, the camera batteries are kaput so I can't upload a photo, but I will later. The key is marked "S. Griffith & Sons, Wolverhampton, Safe Makers", in case that helps . . .

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ah, now in fairness... it wouldn't be a very good safe if you could get into it that easily now would it.....

tbh, you're looking at digging it up if you don't want to call a locksmith....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you tried high pressure air to clean out the dirt?

like a compressor or similar?

might need that and a wee bit of oil to lube up the mechanisim. Applying some heat and cooling also might free up the mechanism inside. (light blow torching)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

WD40 might break down the gunk and clean the key mechanism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

dynamite.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

zagmund wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas how to go about opening a floor safe buried in concrete ? I know I can (and will) contact a professional to have it opened, but I'm happy to try out some DIY steps first to see if I can open it.

We moved house recently and the old owner told me there was a floor safe buried in the garage floor but he hasn't been able to open it since he bought the house over 15 years ago.

I have the key but it doesn't turn. It's more than a little bit likely that a lot of dust and sundry garage crud has fallen into the opening and is stopping the key from going all the way into the mechanism, although it does go a fair bit of the way in.

I have tried a hoover to suck as much out as I can, but still no joy. If I can find anyone with one of those special small places hoovers I will try that and see if the suction is better.

I could possibly try putting in some sort of liquid to dissolve the crud and, errr . . . I dunno, manage to get the liquid out somehow. Maybe that's not such a good idea afterall.

Does anyone have any wise ideas they can pass on ?

The safe is tube shaped - about the size of one of those cardboard containers for a bottle of whiskey. All that's exposed on the top is the keyhole and a handle to lift the safe out with. The safe itself is about 2 or 3 inches below the surface of the garage floor, so even to get anywhere near the sides of the safe would involve some very major (for me anyway) concrete removal. Why do they make these things so darn hard to open . . . :eek:

As is usual in the zag household, the camera batteries are kaput so I can't upload a photo, but I will later. The key is marked "S. Griffith & Sons, Wolverhampton, Safe Makers", in case that helps . . .

z

Get a piece of small diameter tubing and tape it airtight to the nozzle on your hoover and you've a small space hoover. Perhaps a straw picked up in McDonalds - squished flat at the suction end to slide into the key slot. A needle poked around as well to loosen up the dirt. Then the wd40?

After that, I'd go angle grinder.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Now the important question....Whats do you think might be in it? What did last fella tell you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

mad m wrote: »
    Now the important question....Whats do you think might be in it? What did last fella tell you....

Not sure, but he said the guy before him was named Silver. Long John Silver I think it was. Dodgy leg he had, and a parrot on his shoulder. It be treasure I think, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

z

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What if you pay a locksmith to open it and their is nothing inside :pac:

the-simpsons-d-oh-mini-posters-71133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Davy wrote: »
    What if you pay a locksmith to open it and their is nothing inside :pac:

Especially since we all now know where it is, you won't even be able to use it.

Now we're all interested and want to know what's in it. You'll have to get it open and tell us now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

im bursting to know whats in it.

I suspect it will be a......

RedHerring.jpg

Update -
    *I hoovered it out again - nothing - so it wasn't garage crud
    *I shone a torch down it and could see metal at the bottom
    *I stuck a toothpick into it and it went down further on the side where the key is longer than on the other side, so there definitely doesn't appear to be anything stuck in it
    *I added in some WD40 - waited - nothing.
    *I will wait again and try later to see if it has freed up yet.
    *The heating/cooling sounds interesting, but sadly I don't have any sort of meaningful heat source. Unless I could use the clicky-thing for lighting the gas on the cooker - that would definitely heat it up a little. Hmm . . .
    *While explosives would seperate the house from the safe I think the house might fare the worse of the two, so I won't be trying that any time soon.

I've mailed the manufacturers to see if they can help resolve the problem for me - I know it's a Hamber safe and I think it's a Minder which you can see here - http://hambersafes.com/filedownload.php?file=hamber%20under%20floor%20safes.pdf

Will let you know how it pans out.

Thanks for the suggestions,

z

Further update.

The safe manufacturer tells me that the key I'm using isn't the correct one. That explains the fact that it won't turn the mechanism alright. I find the correct key is always a good starting place when trying to open a lock. In fairness, it did say it was a safe key and there aren't a whole heap of other safes around the house so it was a reasonable assumption to make.

I'm going to have a poke around and see if I can find any other similar keys floating about. At least I know what size & shape I need as the other key fits the slot perfectly.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Great post ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Great post, I have a similar safe but I haven't as yet installed it. Any pointers on what not to do?
    I'll loan you my key, if it works we can half the contents. Then again, half of nothing is nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 finnyj

stapeler wrote: »
    Great post, I have a similar safe but I haven't as yet installed it. Any pointers on what not to do?
    I'll loan you my key, if it works we can half the contents. Then again, half of nothing is nothing :)

I recently installed
    2 of these in concrete floors. The safes I installed were 9" under floor safes
    similar to http://www.allsafes.ie/store/Burton_Claymore_9_Underfloor_Safe.

They had a 9" square
    body with an 8" square neck. I cut the concrete floor*and dug a hole 4"
    wider all around the overall size of the safe and an extra 6" deeper than the
    height of the safe. I then lined this hole with plastic to act as a moisture
    barrier and prevent any water ingress from the surrounding ground. I then
    purchased 5mm diameter steel mesh and lined the bottom and the sides of the
    hole. I made up a strong mix of concrete and placed 4" of this in the bottom of
    the hole ensuring that the bottom mesh was located in the centre of the
    concrete. I then placed the safe into the hole sitting on the concrete and
    surrounded by the steel mesh and back filled all around with concrete. I then
    bent the top of the steel mesh around the neck of the safe and finished the
    concrete to the top level of the safe. I installed a manhole cover over the top
    and set into the concrete so that the level of cover was flush with the
    surrounding floor level. I also installed a 4 core alarm cable to the underside
    of the manhole cover and wired it back to the alarm panel. When the concrete had
    set I returned and wired in a magnetic contact to the alarm cable at set it to
    24hr protection. Therefore anytime the man hole cover is lifted to access the
    safe the alarm goes off and texts the home owner and a few others living outside
    the house telling them some one is trying to access the safe. I then finished by
    covering over the manhole cover with a suitable floor finish i.e a tile, carpet
    or wooden floor. A small bit of advice, A floor safe is fire proof by its design
    ( buried in the floor) but is not waterproof. Wrap everything in cling film
    incase there is a flood in the house etc. Also never keep the key in your own
    house. Ask a family member to hold it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

angle grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

gsxr1 wrote: »
    dynamite.jpg

TNT..Oi Oi Oi...TNT. Oi Oi Oi.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend in England got a night job in a 24 hour petrol station. Third day & a guy put a shotgun to the hatch & another breaks the door lock. They had some explosive packed into a tube as you would do with money. They lowered it into the safe & managed to incinerate all the money.
    The funny part is that when you walk in the shop you can feel yourself walking uphill as there is a big bulge in the floor where the safe had been.

I really hope that the safe companies don't offer help without being very sure that you are the owner. It would be a good headline. Safe company helps burglar steal a fortune !.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

zagmund wrote: »
    Further update.

The safe manufacturer tells me that the key I'm using isn't the correct one. That explains the fact that it won't turn the mechanism alright. I find the correct key is always a good starting place when trying to open a lock. In fairness, it did say it was a safe key and there aren't a whole heap of other safes around the house so it was a reasonable assumption to make.

I'm going to have a poke around and see if I can find any other similar keys floating about. At least I know what size & shape I need as the other key fits the slot perfectly.

z

Get down to your local hire shop tomorrow and get a blow torch!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

"Now would this torch be powerful enough to open a safe". "Just wait here sir whilst we get the torch" - call the Guards !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you want to leave the safe there and actually use it, why not just call a locksmith? He will also sort you out with a new key. Depending where you are, I'd say that'll cost you about 300 or 400 euros, probably less if you don't need the new key.

You need a locksmith who actually knows how to open safes though. A lot of them don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Were still waiting to hear what was in the safe??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

yea what's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

I recon he found Maggie Tatcher's face..

Still waiting to find out myself.

Mrs Zag was dispatched off to a locksmiths today for a different issue and she was going to ask what they could do.

I'll find out later what the story is.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Drill an 8mm hole through the middle of the door. This will tell you the thickness of the door and allow you to fill the safe with water through the same hole. Then cut a square out of the door with an angle grinder and remove the contents. They will not be damaged by the sparks from the grinder as they will be under water.
    Signed.
    Safeman in the 'joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

and if theres a load of cash in it then it will be soaked :-)

Advertisement