Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock/Metal Gig of 2010 Poll

Options
  • 24-12-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, you've been voting for most of the year, had over 35 nominations for Gig of the year.

A lot of ya nominated 2,3 even 4 gigs of the year but now ya gotta choose as ya only have 1 vote in the Poll.

The Top 10 from the nominations are in the poll, Kiss had the most nominations with 14, Maiden 12, RATM third with 11.

Poll will close in 2 weeks

Would be nice too if ya said WHY you have chosen that gig over any others

What was the Best Rock/Metal gig you attended in 2010 51 votes

Fear Factory at The Academy
    0%
    Iron Maiden at The O2
    11%
    MaliceMotley CrueNailzJoe_Dullchin_grinJosh_Calvert 6 votes
    Kiss at The O2
    15%
    toxofpeter1892xtradelJBnaglfarblagardspsychozebjack presleyBK92 8 votes
    Limp Bizkit at The Olympia
    19%
    blastmanhonruPassengerscudzillaPattheMetalleriseethelightwolfmoon87MANUTD99clawhand69TrimTOODLE 10 votes
    Machine Head at The Olympia
    9%
    ZombienoshFurious-RedD.QkalieGoldCobra 5 votes
    Metallica at The Odyssey
    7%
    Seth BrundlebigbadconThat_GuyAngron 4 votes
    Porcupine Tree at The Tripod
    3%
    lord lucanKevski 2 votes
    Rage Against The Machine at The O2
    17%
    rainbow kirbysoiaftoffoNeaSomnusGLaDOSMushyKess73delbertgrady 9 votes
    Slash at Vicar Street
    11%
    Beekaybad2dabone--LOS--silent sageKnifey SpoonySaaron 6 votes
    Stone Temple Pilots at The Olympia
    1%
    seaniebarry 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've been to quite a few gigs this year, 3 of which (Kiss, Maiden & Limp Bizkit) are in this list.

Maiden were good, not great, seen them many times before and seen them play a lot better.

For me it was a toss up between Kiss and Limp Bizkit, was a very close call.

Limp Bizkit were awesome in a tiny venue, like a greatest hits gig. Atmosphere was savage, just a great great gig.

My vote though is going to KISS, i've never been a major Kiss fan, seen them twice before, both times at Donington, in '88 & '96 and they never did anything for me then

Managed to get a pair of cheap tickets for The O2 gig as i'd heard they were on fire, what a gig.

The Stage set up was awesome, the pyro's, the songs. Everything about this gig was OTT and i fcukin loved it.

Towards the end, during 'I was made for Loving you', we were standing by the mixing desk, Doc McGee, long time Kiss Manager was jumping up and down dancing, himself enjoying every minute of it.

Was the first time my wife had seen them live and she was totally blown away too.

Some pics from the gig

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_37041.jpg

IMG_37061.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Slash at Vicar Street
    Probably been my busiest year for gigs. Discovered and seen some really great local acts and have had the chance to see some great big name bands.

Megadeth were great down the Marquee, very solid playing from them that night, but let down by poor sound.

Also got to see Iron Maiden for the first time this year, but wasn't too impressed by them.

So, my vote goes for Rage Against the Machine in the O2. Before the concert I won't have been the biggest fan of them, but they put on one hell of a show. Just so full of energy and enthusiasm after all these years, all of which was matched by the crowd. I don't think I've ever been in an audiance so into the music as people were that night. It would have to be one hell of a gig to top that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kalie

It was between Kiss and Limp Bizkit for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Metallica at The Odyssey
    Machine Head FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Porcupine Tree at The Tripod
    A toss up between Machine Head and Metallica for me. In the end i went for Metallica at the Odyssey. Never tire of seeing them live,particularly indoors and despite seeing a number of shows on the WM tour i really enjoyed Belfast. Crowd were as loud as **** and into it,great show(s).

2010-05-12%2021.43.16.jpg

2010-05-12%2021.43.38.jpg

2010-05-12%2021.44.03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Metallica at The Odyssey
    Machine Head. Hands down, amazing gig.

Although my vote may have been influenced by it being the only concert I was at on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Iron Maiden at The O2
    I voted for Fear Factory. They've been one of my favourite bands since the early nineties and after they split up in 2002 I thought I had blown the chance to ever see them live. The fact that their recent albums had been pretty poor at the time didn't help matters either. Happily though they released one of my favourite albums of 2010 and played one of my favourite gigs of 2010 too so there's life in the old dog yet :).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Porcupine Tree without question, probably my favourite band and seeing them live was amazing. Great sound and good atmosphere combined with a fantastic set list and performance in general made it a great experience. Seeing Gavin Harrison at work was worth the ticket price alone :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Seeing Gavin Harrison at work was worth the ticket price alone :)

X1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Had to vote for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Porcupine Tree without question, probably my favourite band and seeing them live was amazing. Great sound and good atmosphere combined with a fantastic set list and performance in general made it a great experience. Seeing Gavin Harrison at work was worth the ticket price alone :)

+ a very huge number.

Definitely best one for me. Don't think there was a note out of place (bar the Open Car hiccup), they seemed so relaxed and genuinely delighted at size/enthusiasm of the crowd. Any gig that starts with a 14 minute song using fretless bass without problems is always going to be good!

Iron Maiden at The O2
    Mod Note: Please be aware that this thread is for voting on and discussing the gigs listed in the poll only. If you want to discuss a gig from past years please do so on another thread.

Also, in case it isn't clear, the time for nominations has passed. The poll options were taken from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Kiss at The O2
    Admittedly I wasn't at that many gigs this year, but Maiden win it for me but only just. Both Kiss & Porcupine Tree would run them very close, three very different shows but all excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clawhand69

have seen lacuna coil,kiss,maiden,g n"r, y&t and wasp this year and i have to say for putting on a show for fans to remember,KISS was the best with y&t a close second.

As the poll is very very close, if it's a tie at the end of the poll, winner will be determined by the number of nominations they recieved in the original thread.

Think that's fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 piotro2

WASP for the win! This poll is rigged! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Iron Maiden at The O2
    Having voted, now looking at the results, it's not the way I would have expected things to be going

I voted for Fear Factory anyway, although I didn't see anyone in Ireland this year except Guns N' Roses, I did see Fear Factory at Sonisphere and they were phenomenal there

Also, and I know this is a little late, but what about Sepultura's sold out show in Dublin and Megadeth's performance at the Marquee in Cork where they performed Rust In Peace in it's entirety? 2010 was a hell of a year for good gigs and I can only hope that 2011 will do something to top it:D

Having voted, now looking at the results, it's not the way I would have expected things to be going

I voted for Fear Factory anyway, although I didn't see anyone in Ireland this year except Guns N' Roses, I did see Fear Factory at Sonisphere and they were phenomenal there

Also, and I know this is a little late, but what about Sepultura's sold out show in Dublin and Megadeth's performance at the Marquee in Cork where they performed Rust In Peace in it's entirety? 2010 was a hell of a year for good gigs and I can only hope that 2011 will do something to top it:D

So you voted for a gig as Gig of the Year that you were not even at??? How awesome is that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for Seps and Megadeth, they didn't make the cut, there was a nominations thread and they didn't get enought to make the final 10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Slash at Vicar Street
    from that list I've been to maiden, metallica and ratm, enjoyed ratm the most so thats got my vote :)

FYI

This poll will close on 07-01-2011 at 19:31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Porcupine Tree back in the game now thanks to two new votes. Come on!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

PT doing well considering the capacity of tripod compared to the O2, just shows how great it really was ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Fingers crossed for PT, I personally cant stand Maiden but a group of friends went to the gig and not one of them was impressed with it so I am surprised it is rating so highly, but as ScienceNerd mentioned above capacity/attendance will make a difference to the vote

Iron Maiden at The O2
    I wonder who nominated Stone Temple Pilots at The Olympia and then didn't vote for it?

Malice_ wrote: »
    I wonder who nominated Stone Temple Pilots at The Olympia and then didn't vote for it?

Maybe they nominated 2/3 gigs but could only vote for 1??

Iron Maiden at The O2
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Maybe they nominated 2/3 gigs but could only vote for 1??
    Damn you and your logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Iron Maiden at The O2
    Was a three way tie between Porcupine Tree, RAtM and Fear Factory for me (despite also being to all the other gigs there, bar Metallica and Slash), but, out of that list, I had to go for Fear Factory, just great craic, tight gig, fun pit, plus I met BCB and Stroud after it, which is always a bonus.

But thread lacks Garcia Plays Kyuss, that anal fücked all those!

Iron Maiden at The O2
    I'm unsticking this thread now. I think everyone who was going to vote probably has voted at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seaniebarry

Stone Temple Pilots at The Olympia
    has to be Slash at Vicar Street. followed closely by Metallica at the odessoy.... killer gigs with great atmospheres! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Kiss at The O2
    Not too long left to go for voting. This poll makes me wish I had gone to see Kiss.

Advertisement