Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #7 - Jako8

Options
  • 05-12-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Jako8.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out this year?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Malice_ wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    I suppose the first time I ever encountered Rock & Metal was when I visited my cousin who had just bought tickets to see Metallica playing with Linkin Park (I think) as support. He kept blasting Metallica songs. I was about 11 at the time and I loved "For Whom the Bell Tolls". I had never heard anything like it. Anyways, a few weeks later I bought "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water". and I loved that. Then I kinda forgot about metal until 2nd year in school when I rediscovered it through System of a Down and Metallica. Then I just continued on until where I am today.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    I joined in 4th year to ask college students about their courses. :p Then one day I decided to browse around and I discovered this forum.I can't remember the first thing I posted here though.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    I think it's the broad taste of all the users here. Also, I like how pretty much everyone are open to other user's opinions and you don't get much petty bickering over what is metal and what's not metal and so on.. Like on other forums I've visited everyone argues constantly over this and that. And if you like a band the majority don't like then you'll just be slated.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    I like watching sports. I'm an avid Liverpool fan. :p I like to play Ultimate frisbee, to read, to watch films and all that fun stuff. I also like to listen to other genres of music like classical, indie, folk and a bit of electronic music. :)
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Ride the Lightning. That was the album I first really fell in love with (Next was Toxicity). I just couldn't get over how awesome it was and I'd listen to it over and over. I still love it today, the songs really never get old for me. Although I slightly prefer MOP, this album was one of the main reasons I really got into metal.
    Where did your username come from?
    My name is Jack so I just wanted it to sound cooler. My idea of cool at the time was changing it to Jako I guess. :p My birthday is the 8th of November so that's where the 8 comes from. It's also Steven Gerrard's number for L'pool. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Always like to see what people regard as their favourite album artwork. What's yours? And link to them too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Which decade was the best in Rock/Metal iyo,80's/90's or 00's?

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out this year?
    Hmm. I suppose it's either Grinderman 2 or Diamond Eyes for me. I really loved them two albums.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?
    Metallica in Marlay Park in '09. With Mastodon, AiC and Avenged Sevenfold in support. It was an unreal gig apart from the sound during Mastodon's set. It was really badly mixed.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    I really don't like My Chemical Romance. Really don't. Also, Good Charlotte. Those two bands really annoy me. Other bands I hate would be mainly Screamo bands. I couldn't even name names because I just won't listen to that stuff. :p
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Mainly Films and the teenage forum, Clearasil and Hormones. I used to frequest other forums like the Nocturnal forum but I've been coming here a bit less than I used to so I've kinda stopped.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    I prefer Metal (I still love Rock though). My favourite sub-genre would be either Stoner metal, prog metal or Thrash. It's a hard choice! Special mention to Sludge metal too. :p

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?
    Vocals - Dio. He's one of my favourite metal vocalists ever and I wish I didn't have to include him in a list of dead musicians. :(

Bass - Cliff Burton. Class bassist.

Rhythm Guitar - Dimebag.

Drums - John Bonham. Love his drumming for Led Zepp. It's not over-bearing imo like some drummers can be.
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.
    I suppose drums and I'd love to be able to play Limelight by Rush instantly.
    Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?
    I wouldn't be a huge fan of either but I choose Superjoint Ritual.

Passenger wrote: »
    Always like to see what people regard as their favourite album artwork. What's yours? And link to them too. :)

Prior to the Fire by Priestess
    Warp Riders by The Sword
    Master of Puppets
    Any Iron Maiden album.
    Grinderman 2 by Grinderman
    A Farewell to Kings by Rush
    Kid A by Radiohead
    Fragile by Yes.
    Act II: The Father of Death by The Protomen
    I love album artwork. :p When I'm looking up new bands it's always the first thing that makes me listen to a band, good artwork.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Which decade was the best in Rock/Metal iyo,80's/90's or 00's?

I like the 80's and the 00's equally as they are the two decades that I listen to the most metal from, I'd say. :)

The 80's was really good for both Rock and Metal but the 00's was mainly good for Metal and a small bit good for Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Are there any musical genres you listen to outside of rock and metal?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Are there any musical genres you listen to outside of rock and metal?

I like to listen to indie, folk, classical, jazz (a bit) and some elctronic music.

I'm currently enjoying The Flashbulb's album Kirlian Selections, The Cast of Cheers, Adebisi Shank and Kid Cudi's new album. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Adebisi Shank's stuff is grand, didn't particularly enjoy them when they supported Faith No More last year. Appeared to be complete arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

What rock and metal bands do hate the most? And what rock and metal bands do you love the most?

Nailz wrote: »
    Adebisi Shank's stuff is grand, didn't particularly enjoy them when they supported Faith No More last year. Appeared to be complete arseholes.

Really? I love their stuff. I can't comment on how they are as people though. :p

What rock and metal bands do hate the most? And what rock and metal bands do you love the most?

I hate MCR, Good Charlotte and screamo bands the most. I love Mastodon, Radiohead, Rammstein, Baroness, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Devin Townsend's stuff, Rush, Grinderman and more. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

Jako8 wrote: »
    I also like to listen to other genres of music like classical, indie, folk and a bit of electronic music. :P

Classical. A few years ago I went to interview and one nice old lady asked me what type of music do I like. I wasn't sure how deep she's into music so just told her that I like Queen, Pink Floyd and KISS. After a little thought she said "So you like classical".

What do you mean classical? Please give me some names. :)

Jem_ wrote: »
    Classical. A few years ago I went to interview and one nice old lady asked me what type of music do I like. I wasn't sure how deep she's into music so just told her that I like Queen, Pink Floyd and KISS. After a little thought she said "So you like classical".

What do you mean classical? Please give me some names. :)

Ah sorry. :) By classical I mean Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Grieg et al. I suppose you could include the film scores I listen to in that too by people like John Murphy, Hans Zimmer, John Williams etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, thanks to everyone for posting questions and of course to Jako8 for taking the time to answer them.

The next In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement