Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat + SaorView ? (or alternative)

Options
  • 01-11-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Been reading the swathes of info from all the top posters here, but remain somewhat confused :-( Can you help please ?

1) Are there any FreeSat PVR combo boxes available with SaorView compatible mpeg4 decoders ? I've seen the Ferguson/Edision/MVision/SpiderBox combos, but they dont have the 7 day freesat EPG, right ?

2) If not, and I have to go for a Ferguson/Edision/MVision/SpiderBox, do any do media streaming from UPNP/DLNA/DAAP services ? If not, whats the point of the Ethernet port ?

Im thinking Ill avoid waiting for SaorSat in a 15bn+ recession and the extra LNB issues, esp as I can get SaorView reception where I am.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE NL says in the Spring before launch in 2011 there will be more approved receivers. This would not be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 natlu2809

I wonder will an Irish "packager" be more inclined to just do a [FTA capable DVB decoder + a DTT decoder] rather than a [UK Freesat EPG capable DVB decoder+DTT decoder]. I suppose if I really want the Freesat EPG + DTT I should look in the UK market first.

Other alternative would be a box capable of being programmed over the internet with and XmlTV service or some such, but thats probably getting into the realm of MediaPC which I don't want to go down.

Oh yeah, would love to have this before Xmas rather than wait for "Spring 2011" :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try the Technomate TM7100. 2 x DVB-S2 Tuners + 1 x DTT MPEG-4 Tuner.
    Slot for HDD up to 1TB. Cost around £499 with HDD installed.

It's all before Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

natlu2809 wrote: »
    Hi,

Been reading the swathes of info from all the top posters here, but remain somewhat confused :-( Can you help please ?

1) Are there any FreeSat PVR combo boxes available with SaorView compatible mpeg4 decoders ? I've seen the Ferguson/Edision/MVision/SpiderBox combos, but they dont have the 7 day freesat EPG, right ?

2) If not, and I have to go for a Ferguson/Edision/MVision/SpiderBox, do any do media streaming from UPNP/DLNA/DAAP services ? If not, whats the point of the Ethernet port ?

Im thinking Ill avoid waiting for SaorSat in a 15bn+ recession and the extra LNB issues, esp as I can get SaorView reception where I am.

Thanks in advance.

1. No. There will be no Saorview certified Freesat/Irish DTT Combo. You will be dependant on the grey box market. Most of the combos only offer now next for sat and 7 day for dvb-t. Some allow you to record off dvb-t and watch sat and vice versa - the ferguson ariva combo in the cheap range does anyway.

2. You are looking at a linux combo box. An Azbox (2 tuners). A Qbox Mini (2 tuners). A VU Duo+ (2 dvb-s2) with the USB dongle for dvb-t. Unless you know linux dont bother wrecking your head.

The Technomate referred to above whilst having 3 tuners does not have 7 day epg for sat as far as i know. You could use the timer facility in this particular scenario. But for that price you could buy 3 cheap combo's and have the 3 boxes servicing 3 seperate rooms and record on those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

There is also the HTPC route. There are several Media-centre type software that can be used with DVB-S2/DVB-T tuners and have the 7 EPG support.

There are several regular posters here that use HTPC's for Freesat/Saorview with great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There was talk a number of months ago of a FreesatHD/ FreeviewHD combo box, which would probably do the job, but unfortunately it has never materialised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

excollier wrote: »
    Try the Technomate TM7100. 2 x DVB-S2 Tuners + 1 x DTT MPEG-4 Tuner.
    Slot for HDD up to 1TB. Cost around £499 with HDD installed.
    The Technomate only has now/next EPG listings for the Freesat channels. It'd be great if there was a software patch to give it a full 7 day EPG for the Freesat channels, but I haven't been able to find even a hint of such a thing existing (although I've only been looking for a few days).

thanks all.

Dont want to go HTPC, did that before with MediaPortal/Myth/gbpvr on a barebones shuttle.

All almost do the job and while Im fine with linux and vista, they are far too complicated for the sitting room and the rest of the family.

So an all in one DVBS2+DTT package it has to be. Im really just trying to get the most for my money and future proof myself. If the Freesat EPG, series-record and media streaming are out of league here then having an all in one that has a combined EPG with some limited PVR functionality will be "good enough", and it boils down to price, availability, support for firmware, and possible hackabilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

Are you an area (e.g. along east coast) that can pick up the UK terrestrial channels by overspill? If yes, then a UK Freeview+ HD box will work for both the UK channels and the Saorview channels.

• Advertisement

Receiver: Dreambox DM8000
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + optional DVB-T (x2) plugin
    7-day EPG for satellite: Yes
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: Yes
    Hardrive: Internal
    Price: €1000

Receiver: AzBox Premium Plus
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T
    Price: €449

Receiver: QBox HD
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T + optional plugin DVB-S2
    Hardrive: External
    Price: €449

Receiver: Vu+ Duo
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T (under development)
    Price: €499

Receiver: Technomate TM-7100HD
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T
    7-day EPG for satellite: No
    Price: €500

Receiver: Dreambox DM800
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: Yes???
    Price: €399

Receiver: Optibox Alligator
    Price: €199

Receiver: Edision Argus mini 2 in 1
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: No
    Price: €169

Receiver: Edision Argus VIP2
    Price: €199

Receiver: Technomate TM-6900HD Combo Super+
    Price: €300

Receiver: Ferguson HD Ariva Combo Box
    Price: €169

wow, great info

perhaps you should post this on a blog or site, tabulated, but still of huge value.

am in Nth Tipp for my sins, so not within reach of NI or Wales, but got a good DTT signal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm still trying to get my head around the service, but:

Are there any plans to release a set top box that will take in both saorview and freeview?

If not; is there any boxes that will do the job for saorsat/freeview?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Are there any plans to release a set top box that will take in both saorview and freeview?

If not; is there any boxes that will do the job for saorsat/freeview?

Thanks!

No.
    no one knows exactly what the spec is for saorsat. (lots of speculation)

If you live in an overspill area, along the east coast, you can receive both the Irish terrestrial channels (Saorview) and the UK terrestrial channels (Freeview) on the one box i.e. a UK Freeview HD box (Humax or Sagemcom).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

Hi,

I live in Swords in Dublin - would a Humax box allow me to receive Saorview + Freeview?
    Apogee wrote: »
    If you live in an overspill area, along the east coast, you can receive both the Irish terrestrial channels (Saorview) and the UK terrestrial channels (Freeview) on the one box i.e. a UK Freeview HD box (Humax or Sagemcom).

you'll need to check the specs, but essentially you need one that will do both Mpeg2 (UK DTT) and Mpeg4 (IE DTT).

Alternative 1) is to get a TV that does either (prob best to get a Mpeg4 TV, IMO) and add a Mpeg2 DTT box (STB) on the side. Downside is if you want to do recordings, or see EPG, which wont be integrated - ie you wont see listing for RTE and BBC side by side, and to record to either will mean having a drive attached to both TV and STB.

Alternative 2) is get a combo STB that does Mpeg4 for IE DTT, and Freesat - gives you both and integrated EPG/record

This is nonsense, natlu2809. If you have MPEG4, you get MPEG2 included. If you have DVB-T2, then you get DVB-T, MPEG4 and MPEG2 http://www.saortv.info/about/n-i-digital/

What Apogee says it true

If you can get a UK TV signal via Aerial, then a Irish Saorview box (or TV) will receive Irish DTT and UK Freeview (but not "Freeview HD", or a UK "Freeview HD" TV (or box such as Freeview HD Humax) will recieve Saorview, Freeview and Freeview HD.

There are are cheap or Expensive combo boxes that do Irish DTT and UK Freesat. None are fully compatible. (Aerial and Dish)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was on to Humax and asking if they intended bringing out a Freesat/FreeviewHD box. The answer - NO.

Tiny market for it Sam.

In UK, after 2012 (end of DSO and final ASO) the market for Satellite will be much less. Freewview powers increased and Freeview HD. The Growth market next three years in UK is "Freeview HD". Sky + FTV card was majority method for UK Digital once. Then Freesat started and now it is fast becoming a "fill in" for those that don't get Freeview. After 2012 the Freesat in UK will be same role as Saorsat here. A fill in for those that can't get final roll out/Increased Freeview power.

Also if Dual feed and add-on 2nd dish is cheap enough, that might seriously reduce Combo Market here. There may be one (or maybe two) combo with Saorview + "Freesat HD" approved by May/June 2011, very niche market.

Some will use Saorview on TV and Freesat (or cancelled Sky) on box. After all only 1/10th as many channels on Saorview as decent channels on Freesat, so need for "integrated" single EPG and Recording is a bit overstated. PVR take up is much lower than TV take-up.

Others will use a Freesat HD box for Saorsat + Freesat with dual feed or 2nd dish.
    Some will buy combo PVR.
    Some will by 2 x PVRs.

Also the like of Humax, even if they were to do a Combo PVR, they would deny it till it's ready to launch. At the minute some

• Advertisement

tronman wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in Swords in Dublin - would a Humax box allow me to receive Saorview + Freeview?

The box will work assuming you can receive the overspill signal - that's the key requirement. You should post a thread on the 'Terrestrial' forum to see if it's feasible to pick up the UK overspill signal in Swords.

The poster 'holidaysong' in Dundalk has posted some photos of both Saorview and Freeview working on a Freeview HD box.

5162065157_4fee440c63.jpg

More info:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080431

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I also asked Sony if they were going to replace the KDLxxW5810 Freesat/Freeview TV range. They also said NO. No market for it.

Samsung are rumoured to be doing something though.

watty wrote: »
    This is nonsense, natlu2809. If you have MPEG4, you get MPEG2 included.

Like your choice of words, very endearing. Sorry for trying to help, sorry for not being as expert as you. Next time I'll let you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Hi,
    Thanks for the excellent list Apogee.

Wondering about:

Receiver: Dreambox DM800
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T.

Has anybody got any information on this option and how well or badly it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Just read all this thread and as I'm based in South Dublin with a clear view over Dun Laoghaire to Wales I'm guessing the only way I'm going to get both the UK and Irish "FTA" channels INCLUDING HD channels is to go UK Freeview and Irish Saorview via a combo box with combined EPG the same way HolidaySong is doing in Swords??

I currently have UPC (which I want rid of) and a Freesat HD so I guess I'll need to ditch both? How can I test to find out if I'll get a strong enough spillover signal to receive UK Freeview?

Cheers

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@ BenEadir- Keep your Freesat HD-It's not costing you anything to have it where UPC is.A good few people picking up Freeview from the UK via the aerials they used for analogue UK channels in the past.The correct box will do for both Freeview and Saorview.

Hi Zerks,

Is there a Freeview spillover coverage map of some sort which would let me know if my area (Stillorgan/Kilmacud/Sandyford) gets a good enough signal? If not how do you recommend I find out if I have a good Freeview signal?

If I can get a Freeview signal then I am thinking about getting 1 x Humax HDR-FOXT2-1TB box's (http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10096&cat=stb) for the main TV and 2 x Metronic Zapbox T2 Freeview HD Digital Receiver boxs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metronic-Zapbox-T2-Freeview-HD/dp/tech-data/B003BEEP58/ref=de_a_smtd) for other TV's in the house.

Are the above the right choices in terms of also getting Saorview?

Regards,

Ben

I get Saorview in Dublin 4 from 3rock on a bent coathanger. Get the UHF aerial sorted to receive Saorview, then get rid of UPC, then look for Wales or NI depending on you exact location. The firs requirement is Saorview, and if you have Freesat that should be enough for most people.

Hi Sam,

I'm only interested if I can get UK Freeview combined with Saorview on single STB's with 7 days EPG for both, Series Link type recording etc.

I'm already certain I can get Saorview, it's the Freeview signal I need to suss out. If I can confirm that then, providing the boxes I've identified are correct I'll be in business and it will be bye bye UPC.

Ben.

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

I'm only interested if I can get UK Freeview combined with Saorview on single STB's with 7 days EPG for both, Series Link type recording etc.

I'm already certain I can get Saorview, it's the Freeview signal I need to suss out. If I can confirm that then, providing the boxes I've identified are correct I'll be in business and it will be bye bye UPC.

Ben.

For freeview and Saorview, get a Freeview HD box, I would suggest a Humax, but that would be a presonal preference as I have a Foxsat box from them.

I would only go for a major make as lesser ones may or may not be compatible with both standards.

The other option would be a Panasonic G20B TV from the likes of Richersounds in Belfast but you would have to collect it from them as they do not deliver Panasonics to Dublin (for legal reasons). Poster Championc has one and is delighted, but it is big bucks. It gives FreeviewHD and Saorview on the same box, with some recording possibilities iirc. But check it out.

There are three transmitters you can point at, I got all three in the centre of Bray earlier in the year, but it needs a high aerial and clear view of the sea. Unfortunately all three Txs in Wales need different aerials, two are horizontal and one vertical.

Advertisement