Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #5A - Cherub Rock

Options
  • 21-10-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Righto, here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Cherub Rock -

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?
    Philip Anselmo is an ugly git isn't he? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Malice_ wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

This will be a long one... I just love every aspect of it.

My cousins had Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and Guns n Roses posters up in their house when I was about 5. My cousin looked like Kelly Bundy in Doc Martens and I thought she was the coolest ever...Some of my most vivid childhood memories are from I was about 9/10 and wearing a grunge style shirt, ripped jeans, converse and skateboarding around with my big brother. Around that age too, it was cool to write bands names you liked on your copy books and mine had Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, RHCP, The Prodigy, U2, Sound Garden all over it in the logos. Just copying my brother really. I would religiously listen to Blood Sugar Sex magik (singing along but not understanig the lyrics). I was in love with Anthony Kiedis & Dave Navvaro and thought the inlay card with their tattoo pictures was amazing. Everytime I hear Versus, Ten or Freaky Styley I get flashbacks of hanging out playing nintendo, watching Wayne's World or Beavis & Butthead and just loving being a 90s rocker kid.

I went through typical girl pop phases and listened to all genres in my teens. In 3rd year I saw the Matrix and the music blew my mind. Bought the soundtrack. Du Hast! Awesome. I used to listen to a Dad Rock show on Sunday nights when I was in 5th year and that introduced me to Blue Oyster Cult, The Kinks, The Doors and prog rock. The Detroit Rock City film led me to my love for KISS, Thin Lizzy & Black Sabbath. In 6th year I listened to Load and then eased myself into more Metallica and soon I to a fully fledged member of the Black Army - in college I loved Metallica, Deftones, Machinehead and Pantera.

Guitar Hero made me realise that I actually love cheesy 80s rock underneath it all (people slagged me for being a KISS fanatic though :confused:) and I'm starting to enjoy that more over metal. My tastes keep growing and changing and I discover new (old!) bands but I have my staples that I'll love forever. I love everything that goes with it being seen as a rocker/ metal head, especially the style. And gimme a sweaty, moshy, deaf for 3 days with whiplash RATM concert over Rihanna anyday.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I think I searched for it under Music
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

Good topics, lovely people, new bands to listen to, my opinions being accepted and gender never coming into it unlike in other forums
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

Teaching kiddies and going to lectures, boxing, going to Cineworld
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

Probably Vulgar Display of Power because I'd never heard anything so aggressive or well, powerful. It opened up a whole world of music that was heavier than what I previously had been into. Around that time I was having a really tough time in teaching college. I went from being loved and popular with students & teachers in secondary school to being seen as this "alternative" recluse and obviously not cut out for teaching. The lecturers chipped away at my cofidence and undermined me and made me retreat into a shell. I hated that cliquey college so much and my only kind of escape was listening to my music on the DART in especially VD of P - mainly for the lyrics. I had to totally change my image and in the end I got my degree but I felt like a traitor to myself. I met Phil Anselmo just after I finished my probationary year with a wagon of an inspector, and I got to tell him my sob story and how grateful I was for his music etc, which was a wonderful experience and he was genuinely touched by it and gave me a hug. After I met him I went out and got my ears all pierced up and felt like "me". It's not gonna stop me from being a good teacher. I'll never turn my back on you again Rock & Metal *sniff!*

Where did your username come from?
    It was Lil Kitten but I changed it to the Smashing Pumpkins song - Cherub Rock (Ava Adore was taken hahah!)
    Philip Anselmo is an ugly git isn't he? :p

:( Thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

most overrated band?

The Beatles, Radiohead Coldplay and Muse are always top of last.fm most played chart and I don't get them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Favourite pizza topping? whats your favourite movie of all time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could a (new) instrument what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whats your favourite type of cheese?

Whats the best ever live gig you've been too?

What's the next gig you're planning to attend?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out this year?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Hi cherub rock.

Your background and liking of Deftones got me thinking, as the album White Pony contains some of my favourite abstract lyrics. Is there a certain lyric or lyrics from a rock/metal band that mean something special to you? If so, what are they and why? Feel free to name as many or as little as you like. (You could just name albums or songs as I realise this could be quite personal)

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Favourite pizza topping? whats your favourite movie of all time?

Green pepper, pineapple (controversial!) and sweetcorn

Terminator 2

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could a (new) instrument what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Maybe a laid back 60s/ 70s vibe band. Phil Lynott on bass, Jimi Hendrix on lead guitar, Jim Morrison on vocals and John Bonham on drums. And of course lots of cowbell needed. :D Haven't a clue what I'd call the band though!

I'd love to be able to play guitar (properly) - Mississippi Queen. Hot song! Love the squeals. I feel like a cage dancer when I hear that song. Also I love playing Fuel on drums on Guitar Hero Metallica so if I could play that for real I'd be thrilled.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Whats your favourite type of cheese?

Whats the best ever live gig you've been too?

What's the next gig you're planning to attend?

Brie. Nyom! And mozarella and goat's cheese too.

Oooh tough. So many amazing gigs. I love intimate small venues like the Ambassador (RIP) and the Academy. I saw KoRn and Down there and they were brill.

As far as big concerts at the go it'd be a toss up of RATM and KISS - both in o2 - within a few weeks of each other and polar opposites.

RATM for my sheer love of the band and knowing I'll probably never see them perform again - just aggression, rocking out/ escapism and connecting with the music as if I was a part of it and feeling the bass flow through me.

KISS was the best stage show I've ever seen and I was in the full gear and man it was so so cheesy, full of surprises and the sing along feel good factor was through the roof.

29986_440334814837_503414837_5639703_1245892_n.jpg

I have nothing in the pipeline because I'm boycotting MCD over G n Rs and refuse to buy tickets. Hoping to go to Download Donnington next summer if it's any good. Raging I missed it past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I have nothing in the pipeline because I'm boycotting MCD over G n Rs and refuse to buy tickets. Hoping to go to Download Donnington next summer if it's any good. Raging I missed it past 2 years.

Nice Answers.

As for the MCD boycott, IMO you're cutting off yer nose to spite your face there, i know they've shafted people but they're the only real choice.
    As for Donington, i went every year from 1985 to 2008, and watched it steadily go down hill, why not look at the Euro Festivals, a lot better organised.

And here's a few Q's for ya

What's the furthest afield you've ever travelled JUST for a gig

If you could be re-incarnated as any rock/metal star, who would it be?

Hey Denny!
    Denny M wrote: »

I got Ozzy's Osbourne's, Korn and Stone Sour. Korn is awful and the other two are only ok. I don't usually listen to new releases tbh, I have a massive back catlalogue and new to me would probably be hearing an old album for the first time.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

First was RHCP in Lansdowne just before they released By the Way. It was pretty immemorable and I was in the middle of the crowd - hardly able to see over people's heads. Like a n00b. :D
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Hate? I don't know if I hate anyone but (I'll be killed for this..) I don't like Led Zeppelin much and Robert Plant's voice grates on me - their stuff generally makes me feel physically uncomfortable.

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I'm usually in the food diary or X Factor threads - my guilty pleasure. Such a bitchy and hilarious place to be on a saturday. I like TLL sometimes, R & R and tattoos & piercings.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I have mellowed since my angsty days.. As far as metal goes I like the Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica time stuff - I'm not overly familiar with dark/ doom/ Finnish/ whatever other terms get thrown around here but what I've heard isn't my cupán tae.

If I got into Bruxelles I'd rather hear Cherry Pie, Hot for Teacher, Rock You Like a Hurricane etc so I guess I'm favouring cheese at the minute. :D But it'd be any & all rock that I'd listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Hi Cerub Rock,

I see that you are a big fan of some really well know international bands, but have you any interest in the Irish rock/metal scene? Any local band that you have seen that you love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

If you could be a famous musician for a day who would you be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AFD GN'R or Nu-GN'R?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Good topics, lovely people, new bands to listen to, my opinions being accepted and gender never coming into it unlike in other forums

Teaching kiddies and going to lectures, boxing, going to Cineworld

It was Lil Kitten but I changed it to the Smashing Pumpkins song - Cherub Rock (Ava Adore was taken hahah!)

:( Thanks. :D

Lovely people ha :D They are all stupid angry metalheads :p

Kitty you look amazing with KISS uniform so what KISS song is extremely good would you recommend where to start? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Biggest metal icon of all time,living or dead?

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

Damageplan :o hahah!

Hi cherub rock.

Your background and liking of Deftones got me thinking, as the album White Pony contains some of my favourite abstract lyrics. Is there a certain lyric or lyrics from a rock/metal band that mean something special to you? If so, what are they and why? Feel free to name as many or as little as you like. (You could just name albums or songs as I realise this could be quite personal)

Some great lyrics on that album alright. I needed a dictionary for some of it though! :D

My favourite lyrics are:

To You I Bestow by Mundy (not rock or metal but I love it) - lovely descriptions and imagery in it like
    "I'll give you the stars from the bruised evening skies in a crown of jewels for your head now"

Zero - Smashing Pumpkins

Cemetary Gates - Pantera

Heartshaped Box - Nirvana. Really lyrical and rhythmic and odd.
    Cut myself on angel's hair and baby's breath

Indifference - Pearl Jam
    I'll swallow poison, until i grow immune, I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room. How much difference will it make...

Down in a Hole - Alice in Chanins (got me through some angsty tough times)

And most of the lyrics by RATM and Down and most of Vulgar Display of Power

Hi Cerub Rock,

I see that you are a big fan of some really well know international bands, but have you any interest in the Irish rock/metal scene? Any local band that you have seen that you love?

I used to listen to the Wicklow punk/ ska scene about 6/7 years ago and go to the DIY gigs. I was very into bands like Estel, Puget Sound and Kidd Blunt. Not really a fan anymore though.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    If you could be a famous musician for a day who would you be?

Pat Benatar at her peak :D

lord lucan wrote: »
    AFD GN'R or Nu-GN'R?:p

AFD!!! \m/ Although after that shambles in o2 I never wanna hear Axl's voice again. :mad:

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Lovely people ha :D They are all stupid angry metalheads :p

Kitty you look amazing with KISS uniform so what KISS song is extremely good would you recommend where to start? :cool:

Awh! Thank you Jemmaa! Ooh start cheesy - Dr. Love, Love Gun, Strutter.. Man it's all so cool.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Biggest metal icon of all time,living or dead?

I guess it'd be Ozzy Osbourne (pre the Osbournes car crash show that stole him of his dignity and turned him into the UKs favourite cuddle old uncle)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At a gig do you prefer to be up front in the mosh pits or sit back and just enjoy the music?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

At a gig do you prefer to be up front in the mosh pits or sit back and just enjoy the music?

I'm short so definitely up at very front so I can see, and at the side so that I'm not crushed. Not moshing but I jump up and down and headbang and dance and usually hold the barrier so I don't lose my place. I've got my New Rocks for stomping and face kicking if anyone tries to **** around. :D My poor boyf is usually a human buffer protecting me from moshers and crowd surfers. Bless him!

• Advertisement

Reanswering this because I completely forgot about KISS Sonic Boom (that might have been released in 2009 though...) So much win \o/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement