Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Launch HD plans

Options
  • 19-08-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

The 2010 schedule is the first of a new three-year plan to become the most relevant and entertaining channel for Irish audiences. TV3 has announced a target to exceed 50% of output to be home-produced by 2012. To facilitate this growth TV3 has also confirmed its plan to build a major new studio in 2011 which will be fully HD capable with audience capacity. Development is scheduled to commence in early 2011 and will be completed before the year end.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056003862&page=2

Ireland AM in HD, cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV3 has announced a target to exceed 50% of output to be home-produced by 2012.
    The mind Boggles. In HD too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Wah? Feck sake I can't even get them in 16:9

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

watty wrote: »
    The mind Boggles. In HD too. :)

Yeah Ireland AM will start a 6am, while The Morning Show will be on the air for 2 hours, Xposes gets an hour, News @ 5 and VB Tonight + Midday brings us up to 10. Sure thats nearly 50% already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah Ireland AM will start a 6am, while The Morning Show will be on the air for 2 hours, Xposes gets an hour, News @ 5 and VB Tonight + Midday brings us up to 10. Sure thats nearly 50% already.

You forgot FYI on E3. I'm sure they could extend it to 50 mins.

You forgot FYI on E3. I'm sure they could extend it to 50 mins.

And put it on TV3, also they include their 12mins of ads when totting up their 50%. Anyway hopefully it will mean the end of their Chroma Key News studios.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this announcement of TV3 to go HD related to the launch of DTT do you think? Will they have the right to 'must carry' status for HD? Will they be required to go 16:9 or will they go HD in 4:3?

Will they force VB to wear glasses so he can read the aut... auto.... I can't read that from ..... oh... autocue?

There is no such thing really as 4:3 HD.

They can't go HD before the 2nd PSB mux is up. It's almost certainly because RTE1, RTE2 and eventually TG4 will be HD on Saorview and Saorsat. Unlike UK there is no need to simulcast HD & SD which saves a good bit of bitrate.

DTT HD does seem to be Anamorphic 1440 x1080i rather than "square pixel" 1920 x 1080i, this means an HD channel can be slightly less than 3 x SD MPEG4 channels rather than silightly more than 4 x SD channels. So in total bit rate having as tight bitrate 1440 x 1080i as possible compared with simulcast of both saves 25% to 30%.

They can't go HD before the 2nd PSB mux is up. It's almost certainly because RTE1, RTE2 and eventually TG4 will be HD on Saorview and Saorsat. Unlike UK there is no need to simulcast HD & SD which saves a good bit of bitrate.

What about the initial system of providing TV3 HD light as is the proposed case for RTÉ 2. Could 1 Mux deal with TV3 HD light, RTÉ TWO HD light and TG4 AS Éadrom.

I suspect even to do RTE2 "HD Light" they have to turn down RTE News now to a postcard/ Powerpoint and turn off RTE1 +1. That's why it's very part time till 2nd Mux is nation wide.

So no.

Anyway the 2nd Mux will likely be Nationwide by 2012. TV3 are not likely to want to do HD before then.

It only says the studio completed by end of 2011 will be HD capable. Thus that fits with move of more mainstream HD on RTE1 & 2 in 2012 and 2nd Mux.

turn off RTE1 +1.

They should not even be thinking about that.

• Advertisement

The RTE1 +1 is only there in evening as the Childern stuff stops then and they don't have any other content yet. Maybe later a Film channel can timeshare with Children.

The RTE1 +1 is only there in evening as the Childern stuff stops then and they don't have any other content yet. Maybe later a Film channel can timeshare with Children.

I am assuming during the transition from ATT to DTT that Children's Programming will remain on RTÉ 2, so they could get ditch the idea of the mixed Children's/+1 channel until early 2012.

I've heard about the part time RTÉ 2 HD quite a bit. Would it not be in 1080i all the time though? (in which case it would use the full bandwidth of a HD channel regardless of content) Or can the resolution be changed on the fly?

They can switch between SD and HD. I can't see the capacity for both, which is why the minimum spec is not a Sagem Picnic or Neotion "CAM" but a real HD set or HD setbox that as well as HDMI offers downsampling on SCART.

Makes far more sense than crazy UK situation which exists because the DTT boxes and most Sky boxes don't do HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Thanks for the info Elmo!
    Many moons ago We agreed to disagree about TV3 content.
    I don't like a lot of its output either and i do agree it barely deserves its status on EPG's.
    Sometimes though a kind of snobbery seems to sneak in about its shows.
    It is at least as good as Sky ONE, Skys flagship Channel,and Sky have a lot more money to throw around.
    I know cost of rights equates to size of audiance,still i think it at least equals Sky 1.

I really hope an outlet for Irish filmakers comes along ASAP on DTT.
    In the meantime i will continue to wonder why TV3 gets so much stick whilst Sky1 seems to get none.

ynotdu wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Elmo!
    Many moons ago We agreed to disagree about TV3 content.
    I don't like a lot of its output either and i do agree it barely deserves its status on EPG's.
    Sometimes though a kind of snobbery seems to sneak in about its shows.
    It is at least as good as Sky ONE, Skys flagship Channel,and Sky have a lot more money to throw around.
    I know cost of rights equates to size of audiance,still i think it at least equals Sky 1.

I really hope an outlet for Irish filmakers comes along ASAP on DTT.
    In the meantime i will continue to wonder why TV3 gets so much stick whilst Sky1 seems to get none.

Ah now ynotdu, I give loads of stick to Sky One and Virgin One. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next few years as bSkyb are set to take on FreeView, with the buying of HBO series and investment into UK based dramas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah now ynotdu, I give loads of stick to Sky One and Virgin One. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next few years as bSkyb are set to take on FreeView, with the buying of HBO series and investment into UK based dramas.

It will!
    Cheers.

Sky has 1.5%, maybe 2% viewership approx in UK or Ireland. So the public thinks TV3 is better.

Sky has 1.5%, maybe 2% viewership approx in UK or Ireland. So the public thinks TV3 is better.

Sky One has 1.5% of the market and is Ireland's most watched Digital Pay TV station, 3e is getting there (but it isn't Pay as such). In the UK it only has 0.8% of the market. This is a very simplistic view of how audiences feel about channels. Sky also have possible 10% of the viewing public in Ireland across all of their channels.

You also have to remember that Sky isn't a National service, unlike TV3 which in fairness to them provides News and Current Affairs for an Irish Audiences. Not only that but you also have to realize that TV3 is available to more viewers than Sky One.

TV3 benefits from ITVs schedule in the main, something they hopefully understand may not last forever.

Another race to the bottom.

Looking at today's schedule(Friday), just 40 mins of 'newsround' from UTV, otherwise ITV1 programmes. Ignoring repeats, TV3 has half hour news, half hour of Exposed, and Midlife (1 hour), otherwise all imported stuff. Typical bottom of the barrel stuff, and not worth watching atall atall.

By the way 4:3 HD was a joke at TV3 expense as they are still 4:3 for all studio work and my telly keeps it wide screen making them all look fat.

• Advertisement

Looking at today's schedule(Friday), just 40 mins of 'newsround' from UTV, otherwise ITV1 programmes. Ignoring repeats, TV3 has half hour news, half hour of Exposed, and Midlife (1 hour), otherwise all imported stuff. Typical bottom of the barrel stuff, and not worth watching atall atall.

In fairness to TV3 it is summer time which is generally filled with repeats and imports.

The main problem I have with TV3 is the huge amount of morning TV that they produce. The main problem that I have with the BAI is that they don't just regulate TV3's prime time schedule across all genres rather than just a straight forward 30% of programming at anytime should come from Ireland.

Even when TV3 make programmes for primetime, they are just 'talking heads' and archive footage of little value ( and little cast). Vincent Brown's programme is just a radio programme with a webcam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wouldn't be holding your breath lads. I know someone out there & they were told to start ordering HD gear nearly 2 years ago, they're still waiting on the shopping list to be signed off on.

iMax wrote: »
    Wouldn't be holding your breath lads. I know someone out there & they were told to start ordering HD gear nearly 2 years ago, they're still waiting on the shopping list to be signed off on.

I am hearing similar reports that they aren't willing to pay RTÉ for DTT SD so it is unlikely that they will pay for DTT HD. :(

I was just about to defend them
    Even when TV3 make programmes for primetime, they are just 'talking heads' and archive footage of little value ( and little cast). Vincent Brown's programme is just a radio programme with a webcam.

In fairness the new season looks a little more involved this year however I take it back with .....

.... Vincent Browne doesn't even air in prime time :(

Yeah Louis maybe its because they produces shows like the X-factor and employ people like you to be judges on them.

To quote from the Indo plug for TV3: .....

"How are TV3 so successful when they have a smaller budget and only one little studio?" he asked.

Yea, I wondered about that, then looked at their schedule and saw they have a big studio in Granada Manchester where they make loads of programmes, and another big one in London where they make loads of programmes and another in Birmingham where they make loads more programmes ... Oh wait abit - That's ITV that has those. TV3 is the one with the big plasma screens flashing out the same six letters while a skinny bird stand in front reads an autocue.

But then, if you only have a small budget ......

TV3 is the one with the big plasma screens flashing out the same six letters while a skinny bird stand in front reads an autocue.

In fairness to TV3 they don't waste money on plasma screens, when they have a Chroma Key to do that for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

iMax wrote: »

How long did it take for them to sort out wireless lapel/tie mics for use in their "state of the art garden shed studio" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They can switch between SD and HD. I can't see the capacity for both, which is why the minimum spec is not a Sagem Picnic or Neotion "CAM" but a real HD set or HD setbox that as well as HDMI offers downsampling on SCART.
    As far as I am aware, it will be permanent HD. Native HD content where available and everything else upscaled. There won't be any SD simulcast so if you don't have eqiupment that meets SaorView TV spec (ie. can downscale HD to SD), then you won't be able to view RTÉ TWO...

• Advertisement

exactly.

But initially only RTE2 (before 2nd Mux is available) will only be part time HD, for Sport mostly. To fit all on one mux they can't simulcast RTE2 SD, or have the RTE1+1 and RTE News Now would have to be still slideshow with audio. Then they have enough bit rate for what ever bit of Sport will be HD before Mux 2 is available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement