Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the fek do I go?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 2:16am

Mods, sorry if this is the wrong forum but it's the only place I know.. If it has to be moved, just delete it instead.

Basically, I got voluntary redundancy yesterday... which I really wanted. But now that it got confirmed, I'm really at a loss for what to do....... My head is all over the shop. I have to leave Ireland in September which to be honest is really alot earlier than I had planned or expected.

My choices boil down to either South East Asia or South America.. I think I want to teach english to keep me going but I want to avoid the tourist trail completely. Asia seems like the safest option but South America seems like the crazier more scary option.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

North Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Get a job.

Mwah ha ha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Why do you have to leave?

baz2009 wrote: »

Upcoming court case.

baz2009 wrote: »

Cause I only went for it with the intention of leaving... And I was told the whole time I didn't have a chance of getting it. I've 2 years experience since college and want to travel, it's just a massive shock that I have to leave everything I know so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

They're always looking for people with degrees to teach english in South Korea.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966010

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

South America, I'm guessing would be less touristy than South East Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I know a fella teaching English in South Korea,says he loves it there.
    I'd go for South America though,seems more fun....and tacos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Go to Cuba, have heard great things. They love the Irish too, ditto wih Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Patagonia :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Leitrim.

Larianne wrote: »
    South America, I'm guessing would be less touristy than South East Asia.

South America is riddled with tourists.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Leitrim.

Leitrim on the other hand, isn't riddled with tourists. Though Carrick is full of stags & hens every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Go to Argentina Ads. And use your redundancy to bring me along. And in return I'll sing you to sleep every night, forever.

Deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

dude go snowboarding for a winter i promise you wont regret it!!!!!

if you want any info i can give you it all :) ive done enough winter season to write a book

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Dont just go to one place.

Get a round the world ticket, they are usually valid for a year. I got a 7 stop one a few years ago and went to

Ireland
    Canada
    USA
    Fiji
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Thailand
    Ireland

Spend some time in each country and maybe you could work somewhere along the way.

This is an amazing way to see the world. I remember leaving alone and bricking it but youll meet many cool people along the way in hostels etc..

Life changing stuff where ever you go/ what ever you do...

talk to mates that have travelled and you have a lot to look forward to

Can barely remember starting this thread, so so drunk last night...

I like the sound of an around the world ticket but I don't want to be tied down to anything... In my sober state I'm thinking Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan and then either Australia or South America. Teaching English along the way.

Should be good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Dont just go to one place.

Get a round the world ticket, they are usually valid for a year. I got a 7 stop one a few years ago and went to

Ireland
    Canada
    USA
    Fiji
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Thailand
    Ireland

Spend some time in each country and maybe you could work somewhere along the way.

This is an amazing way to see the world. I remember leaving alone and bricking it but youll meet many cool people along the way in hostels etc..

Life changing stuff where ever you go/ what ever you do...

talk to mates that have travelled and you have a lot to look forward to

I always regret not doing something like that but now I'm forty, even though I'm still 20 on the inside. Am I too old and bollocksed to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I like the sound of an around the world ticket but I don't want to be tied down to anything... In my sober state I'm thinking Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan and then either Australia or South America. Teaching English along the way.

Id drop Austrailia personally unless you have a burning desire to see it. Its just a hot and sticky version of Ireland / Britain isnt it!

South America for me.

Fair play to ya Ads. I wouldnt have the liathroidi to bum around the Far East teaching English!

Respect - Granted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

How much do you get paid teaching English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

head ..... shop

there ya go, you knew yourself all along

go asia

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Go to Yemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    They're always looking for people with degrees to teach english in South Korea.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966010

I'll second that.
    I've a friend who has been there for about 5 or 6 years now. He loves it.

How much do you get paid teaching English?

In Japan, jus over two thousand euro a month.. And I think Korea is maybe 1200 or so but living is really cheap. Six or nine months and you'd save enough to head on somewhere else. Been a few months since I checked on it tho so not fully sure on Korean wages..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

1) Decide which nations women you fancy the most.

2) Go there.

bonerm wrote: »
    1) Decide which nations women you fancy the most.

2) Go there.

Hmm.. Well I've always wanted to do an eskimo. Would the Artic be nice at the time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

fly into mexico, backpack your way down through central america. then you have south america. result
    the downside... there isn't one
    the upside... women, music, drink, drugs, sun, scenery, and its cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hmm.. Well I've always wanted to do an eskimo. Would the Artic be nice at the time of year?

Not really. It's Baltic in the Arctic this time of year.

longshanks wrote: »
    fly into mexico, backpack your way down through central america. then you have south america. result
    the downside... there isn't one
    the upside... women, music, drink, drugs, sun, scenery, and its cheap

Fek.. That does sound pretty class.. My brothers in South America aswell these days so I might get onto him nd see how he likes it..

I really can go anywhere I want like... I love redundancy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

A friend of mine took off for Argentina and never came back - the cost of living is really cheap, but Buenos Aires is relatively developed; the steak and wine were cheap but excellent, and he luurrrved the ladies (and ended up marrying one). There are loads of people willing to rent under the table for dollars/euros, since their currency is ****e.

I spent some time in Central America and quite liked Nicaragua - very underdeveloped, but cheap and the locals were really nice. It's also a lot safer than its northern neighbors. Panama was awesome, and Panamanians are the best looking people I've ever seen, but it's a little more expensive because they use dollars (and it's more developed, especially around the Canal Zone).

Medellin and Cartagena are awesome, and Medellin has a nice climate pretty much year round (Cartagena is stifling in the summer). Colombian women are amazingly hot.

Spanish is pretty easy to pick up (especially compared to Asian languages), so after bumming around for a while, you could potentially come back fluent, and have one more skill to go on the job market with.

tl/dr: Latin America for the win!

Advertisement