Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 centre lane, again

Options
  • 03-06-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I think I give up.
    I will be assimilated.
    I have tried to use the lanes on the M50 properly only to get hemmed in by middle lane hoggers.
    Maybe they are right, unlike England our exits/ on ramps are very close together perhaps it is too much bother to change lanes to get the best from the three lanes.
    I am losing the will, I think I will just become a middle lane dweller, fearfull of change darting from ramp to ramp as I graze in the blinkered vision of the middle lane and screw everyone else.
    Ah yes peace at last.
    I will be assimilated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Ive recently been assimilated by the people who use roundabouts like asses.

If anyone knows the Kilcock interchange on the M/N4 you will know that the Enfield and Kilcock exits are 3rd and 4th exits. The vast majority for any exit after the 2nd takes the left hand lane instead of the right. I used to always go on the right and then move into the left lane before my exit before I ended up being beeped and pushed out to the 4th exit because apparently I was doing something wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Bumpstop wrote: »
    I think I give up.
    I will be assimilated.
    I have tried to use the lanes on the M50 properly only to get hemmed in by middle lane hoggers.
    Maybe they are right, unlike England our exits/ on ramps are very close together perhaps it is too much bother to change lanes to get the best from the three lanes.
    I am losing the will, I think I will just become a middle lane dweller, fearfull of change darting from ramp to ramp as I graze in the blinkered vision of the middle lane and screw everyone else.
    Ah yes peace at last.
    I will be assimilated.

Fight it, please God, Fight it.

Good will triumph over evil in the end, you just have to believe my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pigman2000

it's systemic - and not the middle-lane(earth) lads' fault.

as you said the stops are too close together, people don't know how to merge coming off the on ramp - so... we stay in the middle lane.

I've been long assimilated and loving it. the leftmost lane is also a bastian of 60km-80km drivers too for some 'raisin' so again - boom - middlle lane.

it's not our fault the M50 is a ring road not a motor way, motor ways as you said are the long UK style ones, M50 is just an abstraction of a curse of a ring road...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

Correct me if I'm wrong.. which I might be..

What is so wrong with driving in the middle lane if there are three lanes?

right most is for the people who drive very fast (Well faster than middle lane) and want to over take.

leftmost to is for people who drive below the speed limit imposed for that stretch of road and for people who want to exit the motorway.

middle is for people who drive at speed limit or for people not overtaking (faster than speed limit but with sufficient clearance ahead). The other reason to drive in middle lane (When driving per middle lane criteria I mentioned above) instead of left lane is that more often than not there are cars joining from the left side which tends to be slower. There are just a lot of unnecessary lane switching to middle and back to left once clear of them.

That to me seem like the right way to do it, is that just me who think that?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

lau1247 wrote: »

right most is for the people who drive very fast (Well faster than middle lane) and want to over take.

leftmost to is for people who drive below the speed limit imposed for that stretch of road and for people who want to exit the motorway.

middle is for people who drive at speed limit or for people not overtaking (faster than speed limit but with sufficient clearance ahead). The other reason to drive in middle lane (When driving per middle lane criteria I mentioned above) instead of left lane is that more often than not there are cars joining from the left side which tends to be slower. There are just a lot of unnecessary lane switching to middle and back to left once clear of them.

Unfortunately, it's not just you who is incorrect in your thinking.

May I suggest a nifty little publication named the Rules of the Road for your enjoyment? It will hopefully explain to you why the above is incorrect thinking.

It should be available at all good bookshops (and some rubbish ones), or a free copy was delivered to all households a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Right Lane is not for people `who drive very fast`. It is for people who drive at the speed limit. If it were for people going over the speed limit then it would be an illegal lane and would have to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Rules of the road for Motorway Usage,

MotorwayLaneUsage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'd love to buy some sort of sticker for the back of my car which educates people on proper lane usage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bumpstop wrote: »
    perhaps it is too much bother to change lanes
    If you're driving correctly the car actually does all of the work, all you have to do is look, indicate and steer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

pigman2000 wrote: »
    it's systemic - and not the middle-lane(earth) lads' fault.

as you said the stops are too close together, people don't know how to merge coming off the on ramp - so... we stay in the middle lane.

I've been long assimilated and loving it. the leftmost lane is also a bastian of 60km-80km drivers too for some 'raisin' so again - boom - middlle lane.

it's not our fault the M50 is a ring road not a motor way, motor ways as you said are the long UK style ones, M50 is just an abstraction of a curse of a ring road...

Thank you for honouring us with your 6th post in 10 years of membership. Have you ever heard of the M25?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I dont get why people are saying that lane changing is too much bother or that traffic coming onto the motorway is too much of a disruption to drive in the left lane?

In my opinion that just highlights an inability to drive on a motorway, if you know what your doing changing lanes can be done safely, easily and not slow you down in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'd love to buy some sort of sticker for the back of my car which educates people on proper lane usage.

Or maybe someone could devise a method to test if people can actually drive their cars in these situations. A driving test as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

If you drive in lane 2 the next guy has to pass you on the right then the guy who is going faster than him has to brake as there is no more space. Effectively it is a 2 lane motorway again.

People should move into lane 1 if there is enough space for you to let any faster moving vehicles pass and get back into lane 2 to overtake the next car. If not then stay where you are as you will have to brake if you go into lane 1. It's not a simple matter of driving in lane 1 or 2. you need to think. The faster you are going the less likely you will have a suitable space. You should still use it where possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

draffodx wrote: »
    I dont get why people are saying that lane changing is too much bother or that traffic coming onto the motorway is too much of a disruption to drive in the left lane?

In my opinion that just highlights an inability to drive on a motorway, if you know what your doing changing lanes can be done safely, easily and not slow you down in anyway.

x2

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

testicle wrote: »
    Thank you for honouring us with your 6th post in 10 years of membership. Have you ever heard of the M25?

I don't like what you did here and believe comments like this drive away infrequent boards users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

out%20window.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

There is one farcical element to the law banning goods vehicles and buses from the median lane. Buses are restricted to 100kph on the motorway. Lorries are restricted to 80kph. Which makes a nonsense of the 100kph limit for buses. When a bus meets a lorry on a two lane motorway, as he will within a mile or two, he must slow down to 80kph, as he is not allowed to overtake. Over a long journey, this can have a bearing on his driving over his legal driving hours, as his journey will take longer. Buses have been overtaking lorries for years, in their hundreds of thousands. It's a risk, like everything, but putting fifty people together in a bus is a risk before the bus ever starts moving. As long as the bus pulls out, overtakes smoothly and safely, and pulls back in, there is no danger or delay to anyone. It happens routinely every minute of the day on the motorway network.

Take it a step further. On the new Enfield to Kinnegad motorway one night, in heavy traffic, I came very suddenly upon a car driven by an old lady at just 40 or 50kph. She was evidently lost, and caused an enormous hazard, as two lanes of nose to tail traffic at 100kph had suddenly to brake hard and swerve and merge, to avoid her. Now legally, I was not allowed overtake her, and so we would have had a convoy of lorries and buses, all driving along the motorway at 50kph. Nonsense. Every bus on the motorway overtakes lorries. It happens routinely and safely, and as long as a bus driver doesn't cut anyone up, and gets back into lane smartly, it causes no problems whatsoever.

Read the rules again. Coaches can do 100kph on the motorway. Get your facts straight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Incorrect lane usage in my opinion is the single biggest thing wrong with Irish driving. It's even more annoying on 2 lane roads. I really wish the RSA etc would dos something about it. Since most people do not seem to know how to use it, people like the OP and me also tend to drive differently because its almost impossible to drive normally with so many people doing the wrong thing. Even though it's illegal I undertake all the time as its easier to just pass the person on the inside and get past them, than to sit behind them in the overtaking lane at 80kph and hope they get out of the way.

Why can't someone do something about this: more television campaigns, police actually policing bad driving, or signs on overpasses saying "Use left lane at all times unless overtaking" etc

Why?

paddyland wrote: »
    Read the rules again. Coaches can do 100kph on the motorway. Get your facts straight.

Nothing to do with this thread though, this is about people hogging the middle lane.

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    A. A coach is not a bus, if you're gonna make an argument then use the right terminology
    The argument of the bruised ego. Law applies to buses or coaches. The only stipulation is no standing passengers.
    I can find nowhere that says a coach has a speed limit of 100KM/h and not 80, but if it does, then the ROTR say it can use the median lane, meaning your argument is bull**** either way.
    I can find it nowhere, therefore it doesn't exist. ROFL

Why are you so wound up? You really need to chill out a bit, methinks.
    Nothing to do with this thread though, this is about people hogging the middle lane.
    Not directly, but related. People hogging the middle lane has a bearing on larger vehicles having to take the third lane to overtake. It's cumulative, when one breaks the law, it encourages everyone else to as well. Everyone is guilty. It all comes down to education and enforcement. There is none of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've given up. I undertake. Yes, it's wrong, but im sick of middle lane drivers beeping and flashing me for changing from lane 1 to 3 and then 3 to 1. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Quickly bringing this thread back on topic.

Middle laners should be shot for wasting huge amounts of tax payers money by reducing the capacity of the M50 back down to TWO lanes.

Whats the "auxiliary lane" or lane 4 for then ?????? Its for people to exit and enter the motorway. The vast MAJORITY of the M50 from Tallaght to the M1 has this lane. You dont need to join the mainline lanes immediately if you cant due traffic. It still annoys the tits off me to see people force themselves into the mainline lanes within 100-200m of the onramp and to see the same at the off ramp. The bloody auxiliary lane has been there for kilometres. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://theorytest.ie/english/CPC-speed-limit-changes-Feb09.pdf

There's your 'substantiated' link. Please don't accuse posters of bull**** without checking your facts. You seem to be deliberately trying to be offensive for no reason I can see whatsoever. I merely made an observation on the law, and you see fit to try to undermine me for no reason I understand.

Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The fact that most people dont leave enough room between cars does make it harder than it should be to drive in the correct lane. Not impossible, just harder than it should be.

GreeBo wrote: »
    The fact that most people dont leave enough room between cars does make it harder than it should be to drive in the correct lane. Not impossible, just harder than it should be.

Anticapation and awareness should make that problem irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

meaning your argument is bull**** either way.
    Nope of someone that's fed up of seeing bull**** spread on boards.

Again, fed up of hearing ****e comments on this forum that people are unwilling or unable to substantiate

Betafrog, tone it down a couple of notches please.

paddyland wrote: »
    The argument of the bruised ego.

Why are you so wound up? You really need to chill out a bit, methinks.

Paddyland, please don't personalise it, attack the post not the poster.

and on a personal note...

I can't believe we're doing this again - a middle lane hoggers rant? It's the new foglights thread!

Deja Vu all over again.

-Chris- has already asked to tone it down so I will, and this is my last post on the point, I offered links in everyone of my arguments pointing you to "substantiated" links, I doubt the Rules of the Road and Citizens Information would carry incorrect or out of date info. I would hope at least some could understand my frustration when it took 3 replies (some containing personal attacks) before you bother verifying your argument with some (although I don't particularly consider it to be) proof.

First of all, the law is the law, I don't see why I need to 'prove' it is the law. Secondly, I gave you a link to the law from the RSA website, and now you tell me you 'don't particularly consider it to be' proof. What the bloody hell do you want from me? Why are you behaving like this?

Post reported again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On another note, I don't believe trucks, buses or coaches should be allowed in either of the overtaking lanes. When driving in the UK I'm amazed how diligently truck and bus drivers stick to the left most lane. And then you come back to Ireland to find artiuclated lorries and coaches in the median lane overtaking cars doing a 100km/h in the middle lane. All the while the leftmost lane is empty. The mind boggles.
    Surely the car is also at fault here?
    It's my opinion that neither buses or trucks have the accelerating ability to perform any kind of overtaking maneuver safely and would gladly see them stopped from doing so.
    I agree about trucks, but if a coach is allowed to do 100km/h then it seems senseless not to allow it to overtake trucks which are limited to 80km/h. Especially given that coaches seem to be vastly outnumbered by trucks.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I agree about trucks, but if a coach is allowed to do 100km/h then it seems senseless not to allow it to overtake trucks which are limited to 80km/h. Especially given that coaches seem to be vastly outnumbered by trucks.

My point entirely. Why have two seperate speed limits, if one cannot overtake the other? It negates the point of the increased limits. It's a small point of law, which probably needs to be clarified.

Unfortunately, I seem to be under attack from another here for merely raising the topic.

Advertisement