Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free spirit salon gone bust!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 18-03-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi girls, i would just like to know is there any way i can get my money back from free spirit salons?.i read in the paper on tuesday that they went belly up and closed all the salons, the problem is i got my girlfriend a €200.00 voucher for xmas:D to treat her self when she wanted to go but now the salons are gone. Do you think i should just forget it and cut my losses or chase these people for the money back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Did you happen to pay by credit card?
    AFAIK if you did your credit card company will refund you and they then chase the company for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hotrodman

No sillysocks i didnt pay by credit card but i can see were you comming from, also when i was at the shop in city west it was locked and another customer that was attending the ecudor gym (sounds like that) was looking for an answer as well, he had paid them up front for sessions and had €300,00 in credit with them. It is really bad form....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moomoos

Was in FS in Sandyford on Saturday and have passed by this week and they seem to be closed. I have almost €500 in vouchers with them!! Anybody know what I can do about getting my vouchers back?? I'd be happy even to take products for them if possible!! They're site seems to be down too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

This is more of a Consumer Issues problem than F&A so maybe you should post there too.
    Not sure of the exact procedure but you can get yourself added to their list of debtors, but gift vouchers will be at the end of the list after everyone else looking for their money from them...

Hoping someone can help! I have vouchers/courses worth up to almost €500 from Free Spirit in Sandyford and apparently they are now in liquidatorship. Is there any way I can get my money back or even recoup back in products or something? Wondering what's my best course of action:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Just got a text from them (went there once to get nails done, hated their attitude and the finished result, not surprised they're out of business actually - and I told them to stop sending me texts!!) with the following link

http://web.me.com/freespiritsalons/Site/Freespirit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'm wasn't a fan of free spirit. Thought they were over priced and really pushed the hard sell.

However back on topic, I don't think you will get your money back. As cch said - gift vouchers are at the back of the queue.

I know its too late for you OP, but its a good reminder for everyone these days to always purchase gift certs with credit cards (got caught out my self last year by paying cash for a gift voucher and the company going bust).

I feel for you OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

only thing you can do is join the line of creditors who are owed money if any. FInd out who the liquidator is and write to them explaining your situation they can advise of current position of company

How long ago would I need to have purchased the voucher with my credit card to possibly get my money back? It would have been at least 3 months since I purchased it - I'm guessing that's too long ago?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thread moved to Consumer Issues. Hopefully you'll get more informed answers here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Contact the liquidator and register your claim against the company; not really sure where you will rank though, quite low I'd imagine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In short no, you're screwed and you'll not see a penny of them short of a miracle. You can write the liquidator but since you are at the bottom of the list and there was a reason why they closed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peppaandgeorge

I have just received a text from freespirit (I am on their mobile text list) telling me that that the stores have all shut and to check out the following link. It looks like there may be a chance you can redeem something. I have a 50 Euro voucher, so am hopeful that I can use it for something. This may be them setting up elsewhere with the same client base

http://web.me.com/freespiritsalons/Site/Freespirit.html

Dear Clients:

We are sorry to inform you that due to unfortunate circumstances Free Spirit Salons have been closed down. We want to do everything to make sure you do not have to suffer personally as a result of this. We are trying to make arrangements outside of Free Spirit to potentially honour any unused vouchers or courses you may have purchased recently. However, we are not in a position to provide any details at the moment. We will contact you again here in the near future regarding any outcome.

Educogym Clients:

Please contact educogym Blackrock or educogym Dundrum on 1850 737 737. We have made arrangements there for you and your trainers John, Ian, Irma and Madeline are all available for you.

Your Free Spirit Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Anyone with outstanding vouchers or credit (for any outlets) should really use them ASAP, while they are still open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

hey there.
    /
    can anyone recommend a very good hair dresser that works for this place that will need a new job?

i know someone who has a hair saloon in city center looking for a staff member.

please pm me details if so.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 87xx

hi i am... was a staff member in free spirit.. i wouldn b expectin a penny back if i were u as we are due our MONTHS pay this week and doesn look like were gonna get a thing.. feel terrible for any 1 who has courses or money on account..but im always available to do.... much cheaper treatments ;)
    we all should have known better as our cheques have been bouncing for months. badly need a new job if any1 knows some1 who is looking for a good beauty therapist.

im a beauty therapist that used to work there if the person u know is looking for one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

moomoos wrote: »
    How long ago would I need to have purchased the voucher with my credit card to possibly get my money back? It would have been at least 3 months since I purchased it - I'm guessing that's too long ago?

This BOI FAQ might help, but it doesn't mention a time frame

What do I do if a company goes into liquidation, and I have purchased a service/product from them using my credit card?
    If a company goes into liquidation, you may have chargeback rights for goods/services paid for on your credit card but not yet received. In order for us to investigate this on your behalf please contact us and send us details including the invoice for the purchase, proof of payment and a cover letter stating that you have attempted to contact the merchant.

Many other websites state a 120day limit but I can't find an definitive answer for Ireland, also company liquidation might have different time limits, so best thing to do is contact your credit card company and let us know what they say ;)

Edit if you go digging around in this askaboutmoney.com thread you'll notice that several users are quoting 120days in the case of a liquidation

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

87xx wrote: »
    im a beauty therapist that used to work there if the person u know is looking for one???

hi there. Im sorry but the person i know is only looking for a hair stylist at the moment. if you know or could recommend a very good experienced person, please let me know ASAP. There is a job waiting for the right person!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Anybody who buys vouchers these days needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 netti

Hi! Firstly, I would just like to say I feel for anyone who has lost their job at Free Spirit - the way the company has dealt with this situation to both their employees and customers appears to have been horrible! :mad: I was getting danne treatments at Free Spirit and I would be really very interested in getting some treatments again - both for danne and other Free Spirit treatments as I now do not know where to get treatments so I'm feeling pretty stuck! If anyone who worked there (including you 87xx ;) ) could get in contact with me either through this website or through email (my address is <Snip>) I would really really appreciate it! Thanks a million and best wishes to you all x

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

1. This forum is not for job seekers/offers.

2. If you are looking for beauty treatments, please head to the Fashion & Appearance forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2 links_ma

Just walked pass Free Spirit Salon in IFSC - no sign about closing down anywhere, few lights on but no one seen inside. All stock and equipment still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gordon Freeman

Freespirit gone bust, I used to get my girlfriend vouchers for waxing there, (Hollywood) they did an excellent job if I may say so! Just got another recently, I guess I can get in line for any moneback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 links_ma

Bye bye Free Spirit, hello The Salon.

New salon has just opened in IFSC where the Free Spirit used to be. It's called the Salon IFSC :) Called in for a price list - prices seem quite lower than those of the predecessor's. They reckon it's all new staff under the new management.

Hopefully this one lasts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

links_ma wrote: »
    Bye bye Free Spirit, hello The Salon.

New salon has just opened in IFSC where the Free Spirit used to be. It's called the Salon IFSC :) Called in for a price list - prices seem quite lower than those of the predecessor's. They reckon it's all new staff under the new management.

Hopefully this one lasts!!

Their 'stealth' marketing tactics are a bit obvious though don't you think?

it the same lady that ownes it just under her married name... any1 who has outstanding courses or vouchers should deffo go in there with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 myview

Went there today on the 'citydeal' voucher of highlights, treatment and blowdry for €39. Nice price but I guess you get what you pay for! Apparently this would normally cost €130!!

Arrived for my early morning appointment on time, unfortunately my stylist was delayed by min. 30 mins. It was more like an hour but these things happen to us all and the receptionist was really friendly and I had coffee and biscuits and cosmo to keep me occupied so I really wasn't that bothered.

I have been getting highlights for the last 10 years and this was the worst I have ever received. They simply used too much hair per section so I have that streaky look. I don't know if this was a time saving technique (they were very busy) or just how they do things. Either way I won't be back to find out. I also asked for trim when I booked (an extra €25) and was told to just mention it on the day. I did and was told by the girl who did my highlights that she didn't do cuts but would see if someone else was available. That was the last I heard of it. To be honest when I saw my streaked hair I didn't ask again, I just wanted out of there. There was no treatment, as advertised with the voucher and the blowdry was basic to say the least.

If the idea of the 'citydeal' offer was to get new clients, I'd say it's a major fail! Would advice avoidance to all close friends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

I think that anybody who bought vouchers under a credit card are not entitled to money back off their credit card providers. Reason being that credit card companies will refund you if you dont receive from the retailer what you paid for. In the case of vouchers unless you have not received them (maybe they were posting to you?) you have received what you bought! (but i stand open to correction on this)

Also 100% certain that the person who must claim for unused vouchers is the person who bought them and not the receipient

Advertisement