Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Mr. Fink to Copenhagen

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

As a long time lurker in these parts I felt I should finally play my part and start to post a log. The plan is to do the Copenhagen Challenge Ironman distance on August 15 next.

I am a confirmed mid packer wifth a respectable enough swimming background (although nothing as impressive as Mr. Interested) and with embarrassing bike times. Usually I would come out of the water in the top 5-10% but am hard pressed to hold 30kph over 20k. I started running two and a half years ago and have done a bunch of Olympic and Sprint tris and one 'dry' half ironman as well as half marathons and DCM for the last two years. Both marathons were done off the back of inadequate tri season training and ended up disappointingly enough with 3:57 and 3:58 (yes, I got slower - went out too fast and completely blew up). I was happier with a half marathon last summer at 1:41.

I know it is a cliché but three years into the sport I am going to try for a full IM. I am going to see if I can more or less follow Don Fink's 30 week 'competitive' programme, which i see a few others are following on here. And just to add to the clichés - I will be 40 at the end of the year.

Week one (w/ending 17/01)
    Monday - 30 mins run
    Tuesday - swim - 2,500m mainly at a handy enough pace comprised of pyramids of 100, 200, 300, 200, 100 etc;
    Wednesday - turbo trainer 30 minutes ( just bought the turbo that pm was
    supposed to do a run of 15 minutes off the bike but getting it home and setting it up out of the box was such a drag I didn't bother)
    Thursday - 30 mints run at lunchtime, Evening swim set with tri club - 2100m ,
    mainly 50m f/s drills and some sprints plus warmup
    Friday - 60 minutes turbo trainer, high RPM ( well high for me anyway)
    Saturday - Masters swim session, 2100m. Core was a fast almost sprint set
    of 1x150, 2x100, 4x50, 6x25, 1x100, 2x75, 3x50, 4x25 with lots or rest
    (e.g. 100s going off 2:00 ), Evening - run 45 minutes
    Sunday - Cycling with club - 70-80k. Mainly steady pace but picked up a little bit in the final third. Was quite wrecked at the end, a combination of no real cycling since before Christmas and staying up drinking until 3:30 Sunday am (less ironman, more wineman) and general cycling inadequacy

Totals (time - Mr. Fink is all about the time) - 1:45 run, 3:00 swim,
    4:30ish bike
    Thoughts - according to the plan all of this is supposed to be at a lowish heart rate which suits me since I did very little over Christmas, as does the limited running so far. In fact it is less running than i would normally do but it picks up over the next few weeks so I am in no rush. More bike than in the Fink plan which is very much needed in my case. I am also pretty much doing my own swim set thing for the moment because I like the swim sessions I usually attend and will worry about more distance specific training later on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck Metal Dog, Its great to see all the Ironman logs sprouting up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

very best of luck with the training ... Im fairly positive Ill see you at some of the sunday spins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

thanks - i will be at the back with my tongue hanging out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I'm aspiring to do an IM in 2011 and hope to follow Mr Fink also.
    Will time management be vital to you i.e. fitting in sessions with many work & family commitments?
    Looking forward to your log metal dog

Yes time mgt seems to be a big part of it, and Fink pays a lot of attention to it how to squeeze time out of the day, with pre-work and lunchtime training in particular.

I used to swim a lot before work in the morning but since taking up running found it harder to get up and go to the pool the morning after having been for a run. This may have had more to do with me coasting along on 4/5 or so training sessions a week without really pushing myself and also staying up late watching Law and Order SVU (only the most heinous crimes for me thanks) rather than actually being tired. So I think the plan will be to be more honest about my priorities (do I want to be able to say in a year that I saw a lot of TV last year , or do I want to have done an ironman ?), and whether I am really actually tired and if not just suck it up and act on what my priorities are.

Just read that again and gagged on how po-faced it sounds, but you get the drift I think :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck with your quest. Copenhagen is a beautiful city so that's a plus! :D

All these people doing IMs has me tempted to bite the bullet! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

metal dog wrote: »
    .... found it harder to get up and go to the pool the morning after having been for a run. .

Tell me about it! Hard run late yetserday evening and early morning swim this morning was a real tests of willpower and motivation... not to mention the slacking...

Copenhagen is a lovely city and cool to see another IM log around these parts. Best of luck on the cliched quest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good luck Metal Dog. I'm following Mr Finks plan as well (with some tweaks) for IMUK. Doing my best to get as much of my training done before work as he suggests but its difficult.

Get yourself a box set of law and order SVU and watch it from the trainer, otherwise you'ill die of boredem. Lord Of The Rings and The Sopranos are my viewing of choice from the trainer:)

[/QUOTE]Get yourself a box set of law and order SVU and watch it from the trainer, otherwise you'ill die of boredem. Lord Of The Rings and The Sopranos are my viewing of choice from the trainer:)[/QUOTE]

Been reading your log too - good to have a few people in the same mess.

As for distraction on the trainer - I am doing mine in the back yard so it is all ipod based I am afraid ( pity since I got the full wire box set at christmas) - have become converted to podcasts though. And I see the BBC have a new series call 'history of civilization through 1000 objects' or something like that which sounds about right...maybe one of those objects is in fact a turbo trainer (a strange object invented by late 20th century man the purpose of which remains unclear to this day)

Into the second week of Don Fink's plan.

Just for info, this is the 30 week 'competitive'programme in his book 'be Iron Fit'. I am more or less following it but doing a bit more swimming (becuause I like it) and a bit more cycling (because I badly need to). There are three phases each of 10 weeks, a base, a build and a peak.

Sessions are denominated in the plan by time not distance and also target heart rate zones, which is a new thing for me. For the base period all the sessions are supposed to be in Z1-Z2 heart rate zones.

Week 2 (w/ending 24/01)

Monday - 45 minutes run, Along Clontarf seafront, Gangloads of people out running.
    Tuesday - Masters swim session - 2300m set made up of shorter distances probably to take account of people getting back into things - 300m w/up, 16x25m off 30sec, 12x75m off 1:15, 100m easy, 9x50m IM order off 1:10, 6X25m on 1:00, 2 breaths max.
    Wednesday - 30 minutes turbo, followed by 15 minutes run. These mini brick sessions are a feeature of the plan from the start but to be honest I found this to be a bit of a drag. At this duration and traget heart rate you might get as much exercise from a brisk walk around Howth Head. The idea, however, is to build your capacity to run off the bike gradually and it will get a lot harder so maybe I should just shut up for now.
    Thursday- 45 minutes run at lunchtime which I had to do on a treadmill, which I hate. Quite apart from the bordeom I end up sweating like crazy when I exercise indoors, not pleasant for anyone. Swimming with the club in the evenining - 2400m total. Main set 6x100 on 2:00, 3x200 on 3:50, 6x100 on 2:00 - times quite generous so able to hold 1:30 on the 100s steadily enough. Three showers in one day - Dublin City Council will not be happy with me, never mind all the extra gear washing.
    Friday - one hour turbo trainer
    Saturday - am usual Saturday morning masters pace set - 2100 total. Evening - one hour run - outdoors thank god, although very foggy.
    Sunday - bike with the club - 80k all in. Foggy and cold. Pace a bit faster than last week - I was seriously under pressure at a couple of points. Completely crashed for the rest of the day.

Totals (time) swim - 3:00, run 2:45, bike 4:30 ish

Thoughts - need to find some time to fit some more stretching and core exercises in - I found these very helpful last year when I started to increase the hours. Monday is a rest day so I will get some done then but need to build in two sessions a week somewhere.

• Advertisement

As for distraction on the trainer - I am doing mine in the back yard so it is all ipod based I am afraid

Look on the bright side, at least you wont cover the floor in front of the TV with pools of sweat! I had to change every item of clothing last week going from the turbo to a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hey Metal Dog,

Great blog, so keep it up!

I'm also training for Copenhagen and it's my first IM as well! (nice to see others in the same boat!)

I can't help but notice that you don't seem to have a complete rest day in your week?
    Are you finiding there's a build up of fatigue or are there rest days planned later in a cycle?

I'm averaging between 7 - 9 hours weekly training at the moment and definitely find the rest day a must, if only so i'm able to get more out of my other sessionsn during the week.

Would be interested to hear your take on the above?

(Get-Your-geek on was a IM sp[ecific podcast I found interesting? Might be worth a look if you run low on listening material!:))

I can't help but notice that you don't seem to have a complete rest day in your week?
    Are you finiding there's a build up of fatigue or are there rest days planned later in a cycle?

I'm averaging between 7 - 9 hours weekly training at the moment and definitely find the rest day a must, if only so i'm able to get more out of my other sessionsn during the week.

Would be interested to hear your take on the above?

Thanks Irons Enthusiast - & good luck with it.

Also well spotted on the rest day angle - I kinda cheated for the first two weeks becuase it was logistically easier to do one session on multiple consecutive days that squeze two into one day & the durations werent that rough. But from this week I have been taking a rest day (Monday is the main plan, so as to recover after longer runs and bikes at the weekend, but I may have to more the day around). I suppose the reality is that there are going to be unplanned rest days as well arising from work and other commitments & I may end up needing even more rest as the number of hours picks up. & I need to get some more stretching and core, and probably sports massage in there as well if I am going to avoid energy.

Its exhausting just typing about this stuff ....:p

Week 3 (w/e 31/01)

Monday - rest day - hadnt bothered so far but need to from now on. The
    plan has one day of rest in each week. Was able to get a core and stretch session in.

Tuesday - 45 minute run treadmill lunctime. Evening -masters swimming 2200m - 300m w/up, 16x25m on 30sec, 4x100 off 1:35, 4x100 off 2:00 sprint, 4x100 off 1:50 half easy, half accelerarte, 100m easy, 8x25m off 45sec 2 breaths max. Good hard set, just about making the last of the the 1:35s.

Wed. Bleedin' brick - 30 minutes bikes , followed by 15 minutes run -
    might swop the run next week for some stretching

Thursday - knew I was not going to be able to make regular swim session in the evening so went to masters session before work - 100 warm up, 10x25 off 30 sec, 12x75m off 1:20, 50 easy, 8x50m off 1:10 IM order, 6x50m off 55 sec, 50 easy - 2050 in total, this is basically a 45/50 minute set so if I am going to rely on these morning sesssions I need to get into the pool a bit earlier and add some distance. Lunchtime Run - 50 minutes - was supposed to be one hour but that is just not practical for me when I add in showering etc. So I am going to experiement with a run before work next week, although when I was up this morning going out for a swim it was a pretty miserable setting for a run.

Friday - one hour turbo - supposed to be all at low heart rate high rpm but couldnt help winding it up into Z4 at the end for 5 minutes. Much more fun - especially when you know the set is nearly over:)

Saturday - Usual masters pace sesssion 2050m. Plenty of rest but nearly flat out - 100s coming in on 1:23 or so. One hour run in the evening. I really like the sat. swim set but will probably have to give it a skip as the runs get longer at the weekends.

Sunday - bike club spin - we decided to stay in the Phoenix Park because some of the side roads looked a bit frosty. Did various drills and then 5 laps of the Khyber - about 35k all in.

Totals - Swim - 2:50, Run 2:50, Bike 3:30

Thoughts - next week is a step back week which I will mainly take on the
    run end of things since that is where I am most likely to injure myself.
    Also will try to get a massage. This is all amounting to far greater frequency that normally used to which is starting to take some juggling as
    the sets lengthen. Other than that ok so far i guess. Would have liked to get some more bike but not the end of the world

Week four of following mr fink - every fourth week is a step back with an hour less training than the week before. At this point the durations and intensity are still not that much. Main thing to manage is the frequency. I expect I will need the rest a whole lot more in week 8

week 4 (w/e 7/02)

Monday - rest & some core exercises and stretching

Tuesday - was supposed to run before work but took one look at the rain and said forget about it - did mean I had to run on a treadmill at lunchtime though - 45 minutes. Evening - masters swim set - 2300m - 300 wup, 12x25m off 30sec, 4x200 off 3:30, 100 easy, 8x50m sprints off 1:10, 50 easy, 10x25m off 45sec one breath per length, 100m cool down

Wednesday - mini brick - 30 mins turbo, 15 minutes run - I keep saying I am not going to do this because it seems so bloody pointless but I just know Mr. Fink would insist that i stik. vit. ze. plan.

Thursday - 45 min run lunchtime, swim pm with the tri club, 2800m - good bit of distance, 400 wup, 8x100 off 1:50, 3x200 off 3:40, 8x100 off 1:50 3x50 drills, 50mcool down

Friday - One hour turbo, high rpm

Saturday - Masters swimming in the morning, fast, 2100m, One hour run after the rugby in the evening

Sunday - Had some stuff on so could not head out on the bike with the club:(, managed to squeeze in one hour on the turbo, high rpm again

Totals (time) - Swim 3:00, Run 2:45, Bike 2:30

Thoughts
    Starting to feel a bit fitter but definitely need to get out more on the bike, although i think I am getting the hang of the high cadence thing. The running and turbo is still all at z1/z2 zones, which makes it all pretty manageable so far The sets really only start to get interesting after the bae 10 weeks. Getting a massage this pm which will try to build in every few weeks at least because I want to try to head off risk of injury

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ricepudding

Great thread... one questions: are you a week ahead of yourself for Aug 15th race day?

one questions: are you a week ahead of yourself for Aug 15th race day?

Funnily enough I am in fact - started out as an oversight , now rationalising it as a free week to cover a week when I know I will be away during the summer.

You must be following a similar countdown yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ricepudding

similar enough... though starting to doubt my sanity and this is supposed to be an easy week!!.... good luck and keep up the posts

week five - half way through the base period.

week five (w/e 14/02)

Monday - rest - got a massage in which hurt like hell but general feedback was that legs were tired rather than injured, although I have a few niggles here and there and might talk to a physio about it over the next week or two.

Tuesday - went for a run before work in the morning - 45min. Bit of a breakthrough this. Well used to swimming in the morning, but never managed to get out for a run before. Found it a little hard to get warmed up. Lots of (non-metal) dogs around with owners, definite downside to dog ownership. Pm - masters swim -2300m all in, 300 wup, 10x25m off 30sec, 5x100 off 1:45, 6x75m off 1:20, 7x50 off 55sec, 8x25m off 30sec, 6x25 IM order 40 sec. 100 swim down

Wednesday - Usual Brick - 30mins bike, 15 minutes run. Ho hum. The bike on this set goes up next week to 45 mins.

Thursday - couldn't make swimming this pm so switched it for a run straight after work - One hr.

Friday - swim am - 2500m - 300 wup, 10x25 off 30sec, 5x150 off 2:20, 8x75 off 1:15, 10x50 off 50 sec, 100 cool down. Times a bit faster than I normally do so I was very pleased to be able to keep up. Especially on the 150s. Admittedly I was in the middle of the group so that makes it easier but i was pretty honest about leaving 5 seconds (and anyway there will be drafting in the ironman too ;)).
    PM - One hour turbo, high cadence

Saturday - usual fast Saturday masters set, 2100m. The dilemma then was whether to go for planned one hour run before or after the rugby. I could have done with more rest after lunch but I knew that some stress relieving Heineken would probably be required during the game (how right I was) so went out beforehand. Noticeably higher average heart rate than for same run and same pace earlier in the week, presumably because I was a bit tired. although I felt ok.

Sunday - bike spin with club, pace mainly pretty manageable which suited me just fine. Our around batterstown, culmullin and then kilcock and home. Maybe 80+k all in.

Totals (time)
    Swim 2:50, Run 3:00, Bike 4:15

Thoughts -
    all going pretty much ok. I need to keep an eye on some leg niggles. Juggling the schedule is tricky enough. Taking advantage of the club spin on the Sunday is very handy but because it is the longest single set of the week and comes at the end of all of the other sessions (and after saturday night), it is hard to have much energy left at that point. Down the road I might switch the bike to Saturday and just do an easy run on the Sunday.

Wednesday - Usual Brick - 30mins bike, 15 minutes run. Ho hum. The bike on this set goes up next week to 45 mins.

I've pretty much binned doing this session. I know Fink has his reasons but I've run enough races to know what its like running off the bike. When the sessions lengthen out then I'll start doing them.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've pretty much binned doing this session. I know Fink has his reasons but I've run enough races to know what its like running off the bike. When the sessions lengthen out then I'll start doing them.

Yeah . Nobody i've spoken to has much time for this session, or at least not at this pace and duration. Can't say I am getting much out of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah . Nobody i've spoken to has much time for this session, or at least not at this pace and duration. Can't say I am getting much out of it either.

Maybe change the session a bit to get something specific out of it, short brick to work on 'transition feel'? Just an idea to keep it interesting maybe. Maybe 30mins bike with 10mins Z2 spin, 10mins Z3 spin, 10 mins biggest gear 60rpm and then run 10minZ4 and 5 mins easy...

150s off 2:20 is fair going in the pool :eek:

week 6 (w/e 21/02)

Monday - rest day, core exercises and some stretching

Tuesday - am Run before work, One hour, Did not sleep very well so this was a bit of a slog, also a bit paranoid about frost on footpaths. PM - masters swim 2400m, - 300 wup, 10x50 off 1:00 wup, 4x200 off 3:20, 50 easy, 5x100 off 2:00, half sprint half recovery, 50 easy, 8x25 off 45 sec, 2 breaths max

Wed. - Brick - Bike turbo up to 45 mins this week followed by same 15 minute run. For a bit of diversion I cheekily upped the pace on the last 5 minutes of the bike and for all of the run (what thrills).

Thursday - Am - Run One hour before work, legs felt very heavy although heart rate fine- ran out along the Bull Wall. Tide was out and a bunch of guys were out digging away at the sand - presumably for whelks or cockles or something ? The stuff you see when you move out of your normal routine..
    Pm- swim with club 2600 m total, 300 wup, 4x100 kick, 200 off 3:40, 400 off 7:20, 600 off 11:30, 400 off 7:20, 200 off 3:40, 100 easy. Happy with this, coming in on 3:00 for the 200s and 6:00 for the 400s.

Friday - One hour turbo, high revs.

Saturday - we had a friend visiting so did not get out for a swim in the am, One hour run in the pm.

Sunday - Did not like the look of the weather overnight so voted for staying in bed rather than heading out early on the bike. Went out in the afternoon instead and did two hours around the Park, including Khyber 6 times. It was still pretty bloody cold

Totals (time) Swim - 2:00, Run, 3:15, Bike, 3:45

Thoughts -
    Got less done this week than I would have liked but still as much as in
    the Fink plan at this point. Also, went to a physio during the week just with a view to heading off problems that might be at the root cause of some niggles I have been having. No real cause for concern, but needless to say I came away with a whole bunch more exercises, mainly targeted at strengthening my hips (I will have to change the title of this thread to 'granny does ironman':o).

week 7 (w/e 28/02)

Yikes - up to week seven already:eek:

Monday - rest - did new stretches and strengthening exercises based on physio advice

Tuesday - run in the am one hr. nasty headwind all the wall out to the Bull Wall. PM - masters swim - 2050m quite pacy. 300 wup, 16x25m off 30sec wup, 8x100 off 1:50 but fast, coming in around 1:25, 12x25 off 45 secs. 2 breaths max, 100 easy, 3x50m sprints in on 34/35sec.

Wed - usual brick 45 mins bike, 15 mins run. Lots of work stuff in my head so I didnt really have the enthusiasm for doing anything more novel that the basic Fink plan z2 on this

Thursday - Meant to get up for a swim but..... Run in the pm 1 hour and 15 minutes, runs starting to get longer in the plan now.

Friday - One hour turbo, high revs, over the past week or two I have increased the resistance on the turbo from level 2 of 7 to 3 of 7 and it definitely was harder to stay near 100 rpm. Now up to episode 26 of bbc radio's 'History of the World in 100 Objects' - nerd nirvana.

Sat. - am swim with masters 2200m total, - 400 wup, 16x25 IM order off 30sec, 1x150 off 3:00, 2x100 off 2:00, 4x50 off 1:00, 6x25 off 30sec, 100 easy, 1x100 off 2:00, 2x75off 1:30, 3x50 off 1:00, 4x25 off 30, 100 easy. This is the usual sat am set, you get a lost of rest but the pace is quite high.

Pm - run 1:15, timed to just coincide with start of match

Sun - bike spin with club, went with the intermediates so pace was not savage. About 80k plus to and from the park, roughly 90k all in. We went out towards mullagh(?) and then out near tara and back in by dunboyne, with a nasty little climb out of the strawberry beds at the end just to keep us on our toes. Felt quite good, maybe the turbo is starting to help.

Totals (time) Swim 2:00, Run 3:45, Bike 5:15

Thoughts -
    The running is really starting to build up, at least by the standards of what I am used to. The Fink plan still only has 4:15 of bike in it at this stage, which does not seem a lot really. At this low intensity, all of this is basically doable, looking ahead in the plan though, once the pacier work starts to kick in, well that is a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now up to episode 26 of bbc radio's 'History of the World in 100 Objects' - nerd nirvana.

Is that podcast any good?? I have been looking at it myself to download for sundays LSR, the military history ones are getting a bit boring now

catweazle wrote: »
    Is that podcast any good?? I have been looking at it myself to download for sundays LSR, the military history ones are getting a bit boring now

I like it - but it is pretty damn geeky. Very 'improving' BBC stuff. Some of the objects are a bit less interestign than others (e.g. Japanese mud pot vs Parthenon marbles;))

Week 8 - supposed to be a step back week in the plan, which was complicated slightly by the fact that our club had a training weekend on which involves two longish cycles

Week 8 (w/e 7/03)

Monday - rest day, stretches etc;

Tuesday - taking step back a bit too seriously, I failed to get out of bed to run this am. Just felt wrecked tired. Swim in the PM 2750m all in - 400 wup, 10x50 off 1:00, 2x(4x150 off 2:30 aerobic, 4x75 off 1:30 sprint), 50 easy.

Wed. Usual brick, 45 mins turbo, 15 mins run 123 and 141 hr respectively

Thursday - Run in the am before work - One hour, just under 12k ahr 144, Swim with the club in the pm 400 wup 2x(3x200m off 3:3), times were all over the place on the first three but kept it nice and steady 3 minutes on the second three. Then we practiced tumble turns, which i am really lazy and inept at. If it was the new year I would say it should be my new years resolution to actually tumble. But it isnt.

Friday - toyed with the idea of a quick run at lunchtime but decided it would be just junk miles (as in not very valuable, not running with junk food a la eddie izzard) and with the cyling to come over the weekend gave myself a break.

Sat. Phoenix Park to Courtown cycle, little over 100k, 4:30 hours. We went out through Enniskerry, Djouce, into Laragh and down through Arklow. Brilliant day to to be out on the bike. Wicklow was full of cyclists. I got in with a good group and we made good stready time. Short 5k run in the forest in the evening.

Sun. 750m time trial in am, wasnt really concentrating propely and ended up swimming 2 too many lenghts. But think I did about 11:40 for the 750, which is not too bad, but think I can go a bit faster. Then cycle back to Dublin, reverse of the Sat route, More traffic and some hairy descending after Djouce and then arrived back in the Park to find it packed with people brought out by the weather and the cross country champiosnhips. BBQs on the go, ice cream vans, people gettin narky about parking...It could almost have been summer. Brilliant

Totals: Swim 2:15, Run 1:40, Cycle : 9:45

Thoughts -
    totals pretty skewed by the cycling at the weekend but that is ok I think. Although I didnt brave any of the serious climbing options on the way down through wicklow I definitley felt more confident on the bike that I would have been this time last year so feel good about that.:)

week 9 (w/e 14/03)

Monday - rest day, went for a massage.

Tuesday - run for one hour in the am before work. Very hard to get going,
    had to slow down to keep heart rate down. ahr 143, distance 10.8k.
    Probably tired after weekend cycling. By end of the run I was
    feeling a good bit better. Evening swim with masters, 2400m Made heavy
    work of this 300 wup, 10x25 off 30sed, 2x(6x50 off 0.55, 4x75 off 1:20,
    2x100 off 1:45) 100 easy, 10x25 IM order off 40 sec. Very tired and times
    ways off norm, 5+ seconds slower for each rep.

Wednesday - pm Usual brick 45 mins bike, 15 mins run - ahr 128 and 139
    respectively

Thursday am - Run before work, still pretty slow, One hour, just under 11k,
    ahr 143. PM swim with club, 2100m, mainly drills

Friday One hour high (100) cadence turbo, avg hr 122bpm

Saturday - Run 1 hour 15, bit better than earlier in the week avg hr 143, about 14.4k

Sunday - very few out for club cycle so no real hiding from the wind out on the road to trim, flew back in, 3 hrs, 80k or so

Totals Swim 2:00, Run 3:30, Bike 4:45

Thoughts Pretty unexciting week. Only one more base week before things start to get interesting. Hours seem low but in line with Fink plan.

WEEK 10 (w/ending 21/3)

End of the 10 week based period. 10 week build to follow.

Monday - Rest day, stretching etc;

Tuesday Run for one hour before work , Swim in the PM 2200m - 300 wup,
    10x50 off 1:00 wup, 4x200 off 3:30, 100 easy, 6x50 sprints off 1:30, 8x25
    off 45sec, alt b/w 2 breath and one breath. Really weird set.

Wed. Since I had the day off decided to skip the usual boring brick
    session and cycled to Howth instead and did 4 laps of Sutton to Howth
    Summit Shop from the school/graveyard side. Much more satisfying than the turbo, 58k, 2:25 min , pretty slow but that was mainly down to the wind and the hill.

Thursday, Run, One hour, Garmin on the blink so dont know what speed or hr.
    PM - swim with tri club. 2400m 400 wp, 9x200 off 3:35 - idea here was to
    try to hold a steady time, but I went at it way too conservatively,coming
    in 3:10 ish and ended up being able to pick up the pace to under 3:05 for
    the last three, should have pushed it from the start, 3x50 drill, 50 easy

Friday Turbo high rev, 1:15, really felt tired at about one hour in but kept revs high (100ish). Ahr only 117

Saturday - very busy day so was pleased to manage to fit in masters swim in the am (usual sprint set, 2100m) and a 1:30 run in the afternoon, time just right to catch the start of the rugby - needn'thave bothered. Covered 17.5k in the run but hr too high 153

Sunday - Bike, went out on my own for 3:30 out toward Trim, 90k all in. Blustery (or maybe it just always seems like that when you are on your own).

Totals - Swim - 3:00, Run 3:30, Bike 7:15

Totals for Base Period

Swim - 57,000m
    Bike - 50 hours (1250k ish)
    Run 28:45 hours (310k ish)

Thoughts

This was all supposed to have (a) acclimatised me to the type of training
    that is coming (b) built an aerobic base and (c) developed technique. Has
    it done this ? (a) and (b) yes. I am getting pretty used to the frequency
    of the training and have improved aerobically I think. Also have lost some
    weight without really restricting food intake (although I am generally
    eating a bit less crap). Still plenty of fat to burn off yet though. I
    think it is unlikely that i will reach the classic ironman 'skeletor' look.
    Not so sure about (c) - only real technique area I have been trying to work
    on has been spinning high revs on the bike and pedalling fully through each
    rev. I think I have got better at this but I still find that I need to
    concentrate at it to keep it consistent.

My main concerns are that I have not being doing enough even though I have basically done what is in the plan and even a bit more here and there. I keep chatting with people who seem surprised that there are no 5 or 6 hours bikes yet, although that is partly because copenhangen is so late compared to some of the big name events in June/july. And also that is is ALL SO SLOW. My very slow bike base is going to be a problem especially as it increasingly seems to me that the ironman is basically a bike race with a swim at the start to warm everyone up and a shuffle along marathon (out on the bike I fantasise about an inverted event with a short bike at the start followed by a nice long swim, oh well);). It is hard to see how i can get my bike times up hugely over the next 20 weeks, but I can only do my best I guess.

So, Mr. Fink, you better know what you are doing...

Other than that is is good to have reached this stage with no big injury niggles and i am looking forward to the next phase, the weather is also picking up as well and it is great to be out and about.:)

• Advertisement

Totals for Base Period

Swim - 57,000m
    Bike - 50 hours (1250k ish)
    Run 28:45 hours (310k ish)

Thats a lot more than I've done in my base period so now you have me worried :)

My main concerns are that I have not being doing enough even though I have basically done what is in the plan and even a bit more here and there. I keep chatting with people who seem surprised that there are no 5 or 6 hours bikes yet,

I'm into week 12 and the longest I've run is around 10 miles and the longest I've cycled is 100kms so this worries me a little bit as well. There doesn't seem to be very many 2hr plus runs / 5hr plus rides in the training plan. I keep telling myself that Fink knows what he's talking about and that there's a method in his madness. What I can say is that I am much stronger now than I was this time last year at runs up to 10 miles / bike up to 100kms - so his plan is doing me some good.

Good luck with the next phase.............

Advertisement